Hazro HZ24W mini review with pics :)

Here's a few pics of HL2 at 1440x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1200, 1920x1080 in "Wide" AR mode and 1280x1024 in "4:3" AR mode to give you an idea of the quality of the new scaler chip to ease any fears of poor gaming quality at lower res if your GFX card can't quite manage native!

Excuse the reflections created by the flash, you can see the wall behind me and my Godfather frame but you can still see all of the game details.

All photos are at full 10.1MP resolution, click thumbs for full res. Please don't hotlink these elsewhere else they will be taken down!

1440x900
http://robbiekhan.co.uk/root/photos/gear_room/pc_TFT_Hazro_i_gamingaspectratios/1440x900.JPG

1680x1050
http://robbiekhan.co.uk/root/photos/gear_room/pc_TFT_Hazro_i_gamingaspectratios/1680x1050.JPG

1920x1200
http://robbiekhan.co.uk/root/photos/gear_room/pc_TFT_Hazro_i_gamingaspectratios/1920x1200.JPG

1920x1080
http://robbiekhan.co.uk/root/photos/gear_room/pc_TFT_Hazro_i_gamingaspectratios/1920x1080.JPG

1280x1024
http://robbiekhan.co.uk/root/photos/gear_room/pc_TFT_Hazro_i_gamingaspectratios/1280x1024.JPG

As you can see, Gaming image quality is superb, the scaler chip was designed for this purpose (and video) and it does as intended :)

One other note, I can see more details in darker areas than previously in the older revision, the old version was good (as good as the Dell 2007WFP) but this one is even better. In fact in Crysis I turned the gamma down to default as I had to put it up a notch!

I swear I can't find any decent 24inch LCDs with a S-IPS panel. Do not want S-PVA unless its similar to the 24inch LG LCD without the quality control issues.

The LG you are referring to was not SPVA it was PMVA, big difference.

Is it possible/safe to replace the power cord of the external power supply of this monitor? I live in Sweden so a UK plug will not do. I have sent a web note to OcUK and received the following response:
OcUK web note support said:
Thank you for the web note. Unfortunately I can not guarantee that the monitor will work with a swedish plug. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Which leaves me wondering if he is guessing. I have sent the same question directly to Hazro a few weeks ago but received no response.

It depends on how good it handles video and how well calibrated internally it is. I'm not a big fan of glossy screens myself, but otherwise there is nothing glaringly wrong with it, so it seems good. The only reason it's not at NEC level, is because of the internal calibration that the NEC has.

I also wouldn't just translate the GBP to CDN, because it doesn't work that way. The Brits get destroyed by taxes, far worse than us Canadians, and we are pretty much one of the cheapest countries for computer parts in general. We were even cheaper relative to the rest of the world until our dollar soared up. I don't think taxes are that much less in Ontario BTW.

I am glad/hope that it is standard gamut. It's getting silly with these 110% sRGB monitors looking like someone cranked up the color knob (like a TV) to 120. I only tolerate it on my NEC 26" because I can partially tame it using an sRGB gamma curve with SVII. Other monitors that do this are quite a bit more $$$.

I personally don't think most S-PVA monitors cut it at this size due to input lag and other issues, and the BenQ FP241W/VW won't last forever, being the only ones I can really recommend at 24" for nonTN gamers.

may i ask what do u mean by might look as close as a great all around 24" for the price? =\
do u mean it is not yet to be a great all around or it is one of the best all around 24" out there? ( excluding its price, ) and the reason y i m considering this display becuz it has a "nicer" looking with the aluminium casing compare to the NEC and it is 100$ cheaper and maybe a little more after taxes - yes taxes in BC Canada is hell!

also beside it is S-IPS unlike the NEC with H-IPS ( which i supposed they are both great panel ) the rest of the spec is pretty the same right? like perfomance wise... not the look or the inputs... and i believe this Hazro would make a great photo editing display right?

really hoping they will be avaliable in north america in sept!!!

Cheers

KeymaN

Wow, those pictures are amazing.. this thing needs to hit the US. Although I probably couldn't afford it anyways :(

Do you mean if they work or just if they support bideo ?

I'am sure they work somehow.
I wonder if they support video.

Full video support means this Hazro is capable of displaying 1080p blu-ray from 24p to 60p without overscan or distortion.

It may support video partially (60p only, no overscan, no distortion).

It may not support video (has overscan, distortion - usually related to Component and HDMI).

I am asking what kind of video support this Hazro has.

Testing equipment: Hazro, blu-ray player, blu-ray movie (2.4:1 format), photo camera.

If this equipment is not available, you can try a DVD player with DVD movie (2.4:1) to get a rough idea of what it's capable of.
Thank you.

I'm not sure what you mean still but the Hazro has native support for 1:1 scaling of a 1080p signal, the mode setting is called "wide" and specifically tailored to 1080p on any supporting input

I'm not sure what you mean still but the Hazro has native support for 1:1 scaling of a 1080p signal, the mode setting is called "wide" and specifically tailored to 1080p on any supporting input

As we talked before, this says zero about video support in fact.
A monitor may overscan, crop and distort video even in 1:1 mode.
To check if Hazro has overscan and/or distortion on video you need to connect a video player, play 2.4:1 format popular movie and take 2 pictures (for HDMI connection and component connection) - that simple.
Thank you.

Actually 480p is a poor example in general, as it is a messed up standard that can either mean 720x480 OR 854x480 resolution and be either 3:2 or 16:9.

At least 720p and 1080p are consistent and easily displayed.

The best thing is to use (as Albovin mentioned) a BluRay player or PS3 (which is an excellent Bluray player) in 1080p and connect to HDMI. Display a BluRay movie with the aspect ratio being listed as 2.4:1 or 2.35:1 in some cases with the wide mode you mentioned there Robbie.

Then grab a tape measure and see if the movie image displayed is 2.4 cm wide for every 1 cm tall.

If that's the case then it is properly shown with the right aspect ratio and no overscan (cropping of edges).

There has to be another method, I only have an upscaling DVD recorder (does 1080p upscaling) and no ps3.

If your player lets you choose between output modes (RGB or YPbPr) choose RGB for HDMI.

Just want to add a comment on this, just to add a bit more data. RGB should be used on most computer monitors, because they are designed around that standard. So for the purpose of, I believe all computer monitors this is the correct way to set things for calibration.

On the other hand 98% of HDTV's should be set to YPbPr as they are designed with that in mind. If you feed RGB to a set that doesn't correctly handle it you will get what is called "black crush". Many people mistake this for being a better overall picture due to deeper blacks, but the truth is that all you are doing is losing shadow detail. The correct way to calibrate a TV that is designed to handle YPbPr is to adjust gamma, brightness, contrast, etc. to get the deeper blacks while retaining the shadow detail and prevent black crush.

Anyone who frequents AVSforums will probably have read about this as it was a big discussion when the PS3 started finding its way into so many people's homes for blu-ray playback.

As for testing 2.4:1 (Cinemascope), most action blockbusters, Pixar movies, and a lot more are done in this format. You should be able to find this on the back of any Blu-Ray or DVD case. Or look it up online to see what format the movie was done in.

Should be fine.

What you want to see is black bars top and bottom (at least) to indicate that there is no stretching of 1080p from 1920x1080 to 1920x1200.

If the DVD player allows output to 720p you can try that as well, but 1080p is a good start.

There has to be another method, I only have an upscaling DVD recorder (does 1080p upscaling) and no ps3.

I just tried it (had to move the screen downstairs as dvd player is powered in but in a custom way on one of those special plugs so can't be moved! - the dvd player outputs only to 1080i I realised and for some reason does not let me set anything other than 576p - I probably need a new DVD player :/

I will see if a mate will lend me his PS3

I'm telling they don't ship to some of EU countries, why will they do USA?

Perhaps there's a bigger market for them to move more units to the USA, rather than just for them to spend loads on continental shipping for few customers in the region?

I don't know.. I honestly thought Hazro wasn't bringing the HZ24W to the US. I'm surprised they had a change of heart!

A glossy 24" IPS screen??? This is a dream come true for me. If only the input lag would be zero, this would be the perfect screen. Hope they will get resellers in Norway.

I'm telling they don't ship to some of EU countries, why will they do USA?

Many thanks for showing interest in Hazro monitors. Hazro is currently working with resellers in North America and we endeavour to have a sales channel operating before Winter 2008. Kindly refer to the website for future updates on this matter.

:D

i just dont get y kmetek has to be so negative about the Hazro... lol
all he does is saying something negative about the Hazro... ( all i could think of is that Hazro did something real horrible to his family, otherwise i dont see y he hate it so much lol )

i just dont see why cant Hazro starting to sell in NA? it is just another big market right there for them to make money, and i dont think just becuz it is not available in some european counties... it doesnt mean it cant be in the NA. and if it is still ur argument, then there is another way to explain this, y arent all the monitors/displays are the same in the whole world? simple, different marketing needs.
and as for the price, what is wrong that it is being sold for over 500euro? there are lots of monitors/display are well over that price range.

so i just dont see what is the big fuzz that u being all negative about Hazro that it will be in the NA and it will cost around 750$

sorry for being OT... but i believe most of us in this review would like to see some positive feedbacks instead of the negative feedbacks... by what i mean positive is like showing both pros and cons so ppl know what they will be getting, becuz there is no perfect LCD display. but not going around saying something bad or discouraging things about the company becuz it is not doing what you want it to do, becuz it is not your company. and seriously, if u really dont like the Hazro, just dont read this post, simple enough.

sorry for being OT... but i believe most of us in this review would like to see some positive feedbacks instead of the negative feedbacks... by what i mean positive is like showing both pros and cons so ppl know what they will be getting.

In your terminology this review gives a negative feedback - it has pros only. Actually, it's not necessary to get a list of pros and cons. What we need are objective facts. Then we'll decide ourselves what is good and what is not.
It took us the whole page of this thread to get answers for three simple but important questions.
What is black value?
What is color gamut?
Is there video support on video connectors?

Color gamut answered, thanks.
Two other questions are still with no answer.

If you could test the black value of the screen, that would be much appreciated. :)

A constant input lag of 2 frames seems very good. I think it's more preferable than having a lower average, but with lags rising up to 50ms.

naszero: you know this LCD is around 750$ ?

Yep I know. It's only a couple hundred more than a hi-end 24 inch in the U.S. If you read the forums it seems to have all the features everyone has been griping about. A-TW polarizer. IPS screen. HDMI, DVI, Components. On top of that an all aluminum construction. I don't buy LCD's every 6 months like video cards. If I have to spend more this time around to get my perfect LCD that will last me 3 years, so be it.:D

How do you do the black value test, I am not a reviewer remember, I don't have expensive tools to test these things other than what is available online so I will (and have done earlier on...) use them again.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php
On that test I can see ALL squares after calibration using ColorEyes for Windows.
Before calibration I could make out from the 2nd square onwards.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php
On this test I can make out all squares except the last 2 after calibration.
The last line was not so easily visible entirely before calibration.

All banding and gradation tests show no issues.

The gamut has already been discussed if I am not mistaken but for the sake of it, the 26" has the wide gamut panel.
The 24" is standard gamut. Both 24 and 26" revised models use a new H-IPS panel . In perspective the MEC 24/26/30" models that are in the professional range use H-IPS panels as well but they are all wide gamut displays.

Bad points? I have not mentioned many if any because I have not discovered any during my day to day usage which includes gaming, photo editing, movie watching, tv watching and desktop usage. I have a calibration device so don't suffer from colour issues out of the box but I found colours to be better than other screens out of the box anyway though.

Average dE values according to ColourEyes are

I could complain about the lack of adjustability of the stand because it only has tilt but I have ordered an Ergotron LX Arm so this is a non issue. The arm costs £80 hich is nothing major at all.

There is no ghosting, no motion trails, no inverse ghosting, no backlight bleed issues, no slow OSD response like BENQ models had/have. All issues I found with the HZ14Wi (which I noted in this thread before) model have since been solved in the HZ24Wi.

Many thanks for showing interest in Hazro monitors. Hazro is currently working with resellers in North America and we endeavour to have a sales channel operating before Winter 2008. Kindly refer to the website for future updates on this matter.

:D

I find the new 24'' and 26'' models very attractive. However there doesnt seem to be any retailers for it in Asia specifically in Malaysia.

It's a very good product, but it's a crying shame that the majority of people around the world will never have the chance of purchasing one :(

Any advise how it would be possible to aquire one from malaysia or shipped to malaysia ?

robbiekhan - Thanks for your review. Yes it seems to be the perfect monitor except for availability.

Price is high as expect for a premium lcd monitor, but not too ridiculously so for such a good monitor.

Many people in the thread are positive but when it becomes impossible for them to get it well.... i can somehow see what the other poster felt .....

How do you do the black value test, I am not a reviewer remember, I don't have expensive tools to test these things other than what is available online so I will (and have done earlier on...) use them again.

Well, any decent colorimeter can measure black level of the screen. I have a Spyder 3 that can measure black level. Just be sure to measure it on 200cd/m2 brightness, since that is most ideal for movies, games etc.

Well, any decent colorimeter can measure black level of the screen. I have a Spyder 3 that can measure black level. Just be sure to measure it on 200cd/m2 brightness, since that is most ideal for movies, games etc.

Spyder 3 is not suitable for black level measurements, unfortunately.

Black level is measured at max and min brightness (at least).

Spyder 3 is not suitable for black level measurements, unfortunately.

Black level is measured at max and min brightness (at least).

What's wrong with Spyder 3 measurements?

And why would you wanna measure black level at max and min brightness?

What's wrong with Spyder 3 measurements?

And why would you wanna measure black level at max and min brightness?

What's wrong with Spyder 3
My own experience says the same.

Black at min brightness tells us what black our monitor actually has.
With added black at max, it gives an idea of what to expect in different applications.
An accurate test will give you several measurements between min and max.

What's wrong with Spyder 3
My own experience says the same.

Black at min brightness tells us what black our monitor actually has.
With added black at max, it gives an idea of what to expect in different applications.
An accurate test will give you several measurements between min and max.

Hmm, maybe that test used old drivers/ software for spyder 3. I got perfect results with NEC 2690 and US Spectraview software. I got a black value of 0.27 at 200cd/m2, which is a better result than what you get with Eye One Display 2. Colors had an average delta E of 0.4.

As you can see in this test, the result is 0.34 at 200cd/m2 with Eye One Display 2.

Back