Hazro HZ24W mini review with pics :)

I emailed Hazro support a couple days ago and they mentioned that
We endeavour to have a sales channel operating in the USA this Autumn
...so hopefully they'll be selling them across the pond come fall.

I wonder how much the 23" will cost in the US and I wonder if they will have HDCP by the time they are released here.

K. It does do it.

Atleast with HD-DVD... I used AnyDVD for my HD-DVD player and PowerDVD on XP with a Soyo 24" and King-Kong... played fine and looked amazing :D
if I'm not mistaking HDCP or copy protection on HD-DVDs / Blu-rays are enabled / disabled per disc.
The first years, they are only going to release movies that do NOT enforce HDCP usage, and only when everyone is hooked on hd-dvd / blu-ray, they will start enabling them, forcing all people that still have an HDCP-less monitor to buy a new one...

So are you sure that your King Kong HD-DVD enforces HDCP?

Hazro delivered the updated 24" panel today and took away my old one, the HZ24W.

The revision I have been sent is the HZ24Wi which has:

HDMI
Composite Video in
RCA Audio in
3.5mm Audio in/out (OSD has volume control for output)
DVI
Component
VGA

The spec sheet states it has 5ms response time.

Now the fun info!

The panel itself is different to the previous HZ24W, the previous panel was matt finish whilst this one is glossy exactly like the NEC 20" GX IPS panel but the clarity and vibrancy of photographs is absolutely sublime! The Wi has the same polariser as on the 26" screen.

The OSD is different too and the OSD reports this is version 1.0 of the HZ24Wi.

The previous screen had a slight black trail when moving the mouse cursor on a white background. This is completely gone on the Wi. On top of this there is zero visible input lag that i could determine (my work PC has a wired MS optical mouse of POS variety ;p). The quality looks amazing fro my work PC, I can only imagine what it will be like on my PC at home tonight.

The Screen build quality is the same as the previous model, the connections on the back look as badass as the did before but now with more connections.

THE HAZRO BADGE ON THE FRONT IS NOW STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OMFG11leventy!

The only minor gripe is that the OSD position option allows for up down left right movement of the OSD but I have failed to find the left right keys (they don't exist??!) and also the Aspect ratio cannot be changed by simply pressing one button anymore, you have to go into the menu to adjust aspect ratio though this is only minor because you'd only really need to set it once for your HDMI source for 1920x1080 resolution whilst your computer runs native anyway so no need for scaling.

Input switching though is one button on the front of the screen which is good. you get an OSD menu allowing you to select the input this time instead of the button just cycling inputs.

I'm actually very glad I waited for this revision and stuck with it. Hazro support has been first class, they always called me back (though on occasions I did have to send them a web note just to find out about updates though they called me back to update each time).

Pics later tonight :)

nice one

would love to see a side by side comparison between the nec 2490, hp 2475, the update hazro HZ24W and the updated dell 2408

Whoa. That model just showed up on the TFT Central front page a few days ago - so probably wouldn't see reviews for a least a few weeks. OTOH, an [H] reader already has one :D

Any possibility for input lag tests?

I am very interested in the HZ24Wi.

1. it' s-ips
2. it's 24''
3. it has hdmi with hdcp
4. seems to be good for gaming and watching movies and has minimal graphics issues.
5. it's made out of aluminium and looks cool.

However i am in Malaysia. How am i able to purchase this monitor and get it shipped to Malaysia any ideas anyone ?

Ok here we go!

First off the rear:
pc_TFT_Hazro_i_rear1.jpg

The backlight on black background with lights off (notice the Eye-One dangling on there):
pc_TFT_Hazro_i_backlight.jpg

YAY!
pc_TFT_Hazro_i_badge.jpg

Various Reflections examples:
pc_TFT_Hazro_i_glossy1.jpg

pc_TFT_Hazro_i_glossy2.jpg

pc_TFT_Hazro_i_reflection_off.jpg

pc_TFT_Hazro_i_reflection_on.jpg

Text sharpness/purity:
pc_TFT_Hazro_i_textsharpness.jpg

Photos have more presence on this screen now too:
pc_TFT_Hazro_i_photoIQ_1.jpg

After Calibration:
pc_TFT_Hazro_i__devalue.jpg

A dE of 0.4 is amazing! Lacie say a dE of below 1.0 is of professional standard for an LCD. The left square in the grid is the HZ24W, that one got 0.78.

In normal light:
pc_TFT_Hazro_i_normalight.jpg

I will complete input lag test next to a Dell 17" CRT tonight so stay tuned :D

It would be interesting to know minimal brightness of black, color gamut and to know if video connectors really work (perform a test for overscan over HDMI and componenet inputs).
Thank you.

On this test: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php
I can see squares 2 to 255 clearly

On the white test : http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php
I can see all except 254 (253 with sitting back and a slight squint)

That should give an idea of black levels!

Also on the contrast test: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php
I can see the steps in all colours on all bars. There is no banding too on smooth gradients.

That should give an idea of black levels!

No, unfortunately it does not tell anything about how deep is black.
Only measurements can do.
After measuring brightness values you can get a contrast ratio.
There is no other way.

OK. The rest of the questions are overscan test and color gamut.
If you could.
Thank you.

No, unfortunately it does not tell anything about how deep is black.
Only measurement can do.

OK. The rest of the questions are overscan test and color gamut.
If you could.
Thank you.

Well my de results give you an indication of the colour accuracy and ultimately since it's calibrated now the black levels too. The gamma curves after calibration were an almost perfect diagonal straight line too and I'm not sure on how else to measure what you're requesting but I've had many 24", 22" and 20" widescreens to date now and this exceeds them all by a big margin on IQ and performance.

Blacks are "black" there is no orange or purple tinge you often get with IPS screens thanks to the polariser also the blackness is improved thanks to this too.

Well my de results give you an indication of the colour accuracy and ultimately since it's calibrated now the black levels too. The gamma curves after calibration were an almost perfect diagonal straight line too and I'm not sure on how else to measure what you're requesting

You gave us info about it's color accuracy and it sounds very good.
To complete color accuracy info we need to make sure this monitor is a standard gamut monitor, not wide gamut.
That's why I am asking about color gamut.

About how deep black is - software you use with your colorimeter may or may not provide a tool for brightness measurements.
To measure black level means to tell it's brightness in cd/m2.
For IPS 0.2 cd/m2 is excellent, 0.3 is OK, 0.4 is below desirable.
It looks like you don't have a tool to measure brightness.

This monitor by specs has good connectivity.
We need to know how good is it for multimedia. Overscan on HDMI and component may disqualify it's connectivity.
That's why I am asking about overscan test.

Blacks are "black" there is no orange or purple tinge you often get with IPS screens thanks to the polariser
A photo of this kind (comparison with non-"polarizer" in darkness) will be helpful to illustrate what you are saying.
BTW color tint on black from an angle is not a solid distinguishing factor - *VAs have it too.
Thank you.

It is standard gamut not wide gamut. Only the 26" is wide gamut

I'll test HDMI over the weekend but the scaler chip is by Genesis who also do the chips on Dell screens. The native 1:1 mapping is preset for 1080p too so this should have no problems. In fact the Hazro would have better IQ than competing Dell screens because of the better panel.

Will try and test with the DVD player and Wii.

It is standard gamut not wide gamut. Only the 26" is wide gamut

I'll test HDMI over the weekend but the scaler chip is by Genesis who also do the chips on Dell screens. The native 1:1 mapping is preset for 1080p too so this should have no problems. In fact the Hazro would have better IQ than competing Dell screens because of the better panel.

Will try and test with the DVD player and Wii.

It is standard gamut not wide gamut
Do you know it from specs or from the test?

The native 1:1 mapping is preset for 1080p too so this should have no problems.
1:1 mapping itself does not help with overscan if it is present.

In fact the Hazro would have better IQ than competing Dell screens because of the better panel.
So far we know not too much about this panel.
It looks like a very promising new IPS panel. Some more testing still needed.

Dell does not use IPS panels for 24" monitors.

Will try and test with the DVD player
Good luck.
Thank you.

Why test for wide gamut if I know it's not a wide gamut? only the 26" is a wide gamut panel because Hazro has specifically told us (the early buyers) so and the end documentation that has come with my HZ24Wi states this too. The HZ26Wi has a 92% wide colour NTSC gamut range.

The wide gamut also has an internal LUT whilst the 24" does not. The 26" will also come with the Hazro calibration suite which includes a probe (same as the i1 Display 2 I have)

Also on thewide gamut models you can select standard or wide gamut from the OSD. The lack of this feature on the HZ24Wi further confirms it's a standard gamut :)

The only thing they share in common is connectivity and the front polariser of the H-IPS panel.

transferring heat? or blocking it inside? I dont see alot of ventilation holes on this otherwise beautiful monitor.......that can only mean one thing.

alas for function, everyone is obsessed with form

I swear I can't find any decent 24inch LCDs with a S-IPS panel. Do not want S-PVA unless its similar to the 24inch LG LCD without the quality control issues.

Anxiously waiting to see what the input lag #'s are :D

If I remember, the TFT central had the non-i model at 33ms (~2 frames), while the 26" version was oddly only 1 frame, but had a max of 100ms for reasons unknown.

Ok sorry I started washing and waxing my car as I realised I'm away for most of the weekend so might not have time! just finished and did the input lag test :p

IMG_9165.jpg

IMG_9152.jpg

IMG_9155.jpg

IMG_9157.jpg

IMG_9160.jpg

IMG_9162.jpg

The Hazro is on the right, in clone mode the nvidia driver does not allow for independent resolutions (still...) so both were running at 1280x1024. The CRT was connected using a DVI to VGA adapter.

The average ms difference is almost exactly 30ms so better than the previous revision and perfectly "gaming" friendly. This is only a test though so real world look and feel usually is a different story (a good one in this case)

The Hazro has been the closest yet next to the 2007WFP for gaming performance in my experience for smoothness and feel of games. Since the new revision does not have a small black trail after the mouse cursor on a white background there is no sense of motion blur in games anymore either.

PixperAN test to show you the lack of motion blurring of fast moving objects (shot 1/1000sec):

IMG_9185.JPG

IMG_9186.JPG

IMG_9187.JPG

IMG_9188.JPG

The old revision had 3 to 4 black trails following the car which was the black ghosting on the mouse cursor I was talking about above. The BenQ FP241W also had this but fewer "ghosts". the "i" revision has no black ghosts only a single motion trail which is invisible in motion.

I found zero issues with gaming after the first day or two on the first revision and this feels even faster (hopefully the pixperan test above shows how sharp it is on fast motion objects too).

The black ghost I talk about can be seen in the tests done here http://www.behardware.com/art/imprimer/648/ (notice the differences between the Hazro and the NEC 20WGX2 ! Even on a worst case scenario image of the car the car is still very sharp and not blurred or fuzzy like most of the other screens done on the test by behardware.

As a newbie here I must say I am enjoying this review. I have already learned a great deal about what to look and the tools for doing so. Very well done!

Not to venture off topic, but I must also say your photography skills are exemplary. What are you shotting with and how are you getting such great (direct) flash free pictures?

Thanks for your time and effort.

Hi,

Thanks for the comments! I'm using a Canon 40D with 430EX flashgun aimed at the ceiling which is why you don't see any flash reflections :)

Hi,

Thanks for the comments! I'm using a Canon 40D with 430EX flashgun aimed at the ceiling which is why you don't see any flash reflections :)

Ah, nice camera! Always been a fan of the Canon's. I've been looking at 40D and the Rebel XSi myself. Had a nice A1 back in the day, but haven't spent the money for a good digital yet. Haven't done any serious photography in 20 years, forgot about the bounce flash; thanks for the reminder!

transferring heat? or blocking it inside? I dont see alot of ventilation holes on this otherwise beautiful monitor.......that can only mean one thing.

alas for function, everyone is obsessed with form
According to the publicity blurb, the all-aluminium construction enables heat to be shed efficiently, without any need for ventilation holes. Furthermore, the power supply is an external brick (rather than inside the monitor casing), so that's a major heat source removed.

I guess only time will tell how effective it is in practice, but at least there's less chance of bugs getting in. :)

It is good to see another sRGB IPS hitting the market. Seems like a really nice IPS for those who want glossy. Fans of the old NEC 20WGX2 should really enjoy this.

Not to venture off topic, but I must also say your photography skills are exemplary. What are you shotting with and how are you getting such great (direct) flash free pictures?

As far as the flash. You want the light form the screen. I never understood why some people shoot screenshots with a direct firing flash on. Your screen is a light source, you get the best results with flash off (or indirect if you want it to illuminate the background as OP understands).

OMG! THIS IS ONE MONSTER DISPLAY!!! :O
so i m really curious right now ( ya i still havent bought my display yet cuz i m in Germany atm )
if u would compare this to the NEC 2490... what are the differences between them? or what do they share? becuz this one has one sick looking display that i m really interested in and willing to wait for it ( unless the price out of my imagination, or more expensive then the NEC lol )
and when will the Wi ( the newer model ) will be release? cuz i dont see it at their website
and any thoughts on the 26" model?

PS. also the newer model the Wi one, does it uses DVI-D or still DVI-I? just wondering =P

Thanks!

KeymaN

Looks great,

Thanks for the great photos and information RobbieKhan.

This Hazro might look like as close as 24" has to having one great all rounder for the price. Ie. similar to the NEC but for the normal consumer not looking to spend $1k U.S. or Canadian on a monitor.

The input lag looks pretty good and consistent with not too many jumps.

Here's to hoping they decide to extend their presence to our side of the Atlantic.

Enjoy your clean car and monitor :)

Looks great,

This Hazro might look like as close as 24" has to having one great all rounder for the price. Ie. similar to the NEC but for the normal consumer not looking to spend $1k U.S. or Canadian on a monitor.

Here's to hoping they decide to extend their presence to our side of the Atlantic.

may i ask what do u mean by might look as close as a great all around 24" for the price? =\
do u mean it is not yet to be a great all around or it is one of the best all around 24" out there? ( excluding its price, ) and the reason y i m considering this display becuz it has a "nicer" looking with the aluminium casing compare to the NEC and it is 100$ cheaper and maybe a little more after taxes - yes taxes in BC Canada is hell!

also beside it is S-IPS unlike the NEC with H-IPS ( which i supposed they are both great panel ) the rest of the spec is pretty the same right? like perfomance wise... not the look or the inputs... and i believe this Hazro would make a great photo editing display right?

really hoping they will be avaliable in north america in sept!!!

Cheers

KeymaN

may i ask what do u mean by might look as close as a great all around 24" for the price? =\
do u mean it is not yet to be a great all around or it is one of the best all around 24" out there? ( excluding its price, ) and the reason y i m considering this display becuz it has a "nicer" looking with the aluminium casing compare to the NEC and it is 100$ cheaper and maybe a little more after taxes - yes taxes in BC Canada is hell!

Do we have north american pricing yet? News to me. I agree it has a nicer case than the NEC. But the NEC is still the more professional monitor with 12 bit LUT and internal calibration. Also for a lot of people Glossy screens are out. (recent poll on [H] indicates 70%+ don't like glossy screens).

But for glossy fans this definitely seems like one of the best 24" on the market, if and when it gets here.

If it was here and had a matte screen, I would likely be buying it. But if it was very close to the NEC in price I might be tempted by the 12 bit LUT and internal calibration on the NEC.

well from the guessing of that he bought it for 440GBP it is roughly 890CAD ( according to xe.com )
and since it will be a like a new brand and new product to the NA ( if u know what i mean ) i say it is around 900-1000CAD which is around 100-200$ cheaper than the NEC? well of coz that is only my stupid guess. but it could be cheaper than in GB? i dunno

umm for the glossy screen part i dun really know much
still confuse if the HZ24W or the HZ24Wi is the glossy screen
and i do hope they have the options between matte or glossy screen that would be so much better for all of us

hahah then letz hope someone would be able to test the HZ24W(i) and the NEC 2490 side by side soon!

Cheers

KeymaN

they even dont ship to some of EU countries, don't bother this won't be available in USA....

600€ X 1.6 = 950$

Would you pay 900 bucks for this one?

Back