Hazro HZ24W mini review with pics :)

In your terminology this review gives a negative feedback - it has pros only. Actually, it's not necessary to get a list of pros and cons. What we need are objective facts. Then we'll decide ourselves what is good and what is not.

ok the way i explain was bad but all i wanted to say was that instead of saying how bad the company is, letz focus on the monitor instead. becuz kmetek was complaining about the company the whole time instead of help reviewing this monitor or asking question about the monitor... i m just trying to keep everyone happying and being helpful...

and i see what u mean about y we all talking about the pros about the monitor... there are like 2 main reasons... one is that many of us wanted to get this monitor or two we dont have one to try it out...

anywayz i wasnt trying to start an argument or anything... just trying to help to keep the peace in this thread...

robbiekhan, would you be able to test some SD material over the component connection? I'm interested in using the 24" Hazro for some GameCube gaming (Ikaruga on vertical mode, drool), and I've got the necessary component cable for it.

Testing any standard def material on any of the connections would be helpful. You know, how good is the scaling, is the 4:3 aspect ratio preserved and is such an image scaled to the top & bottom edges of the screen without overscan, and that sort of thing.

BTW, does the screen pivot? If not, does it have VESA mounting holes so I could maybe replace the leg with a pivoting arm?

Thanks!

robbiekhan, would you be able to test some SD material over the component connection? I'm interested in using the 24" Hazro for some GameCube gaming (Ikaruga on vertical mode, drool), and I've got the necessary component cable for it.

Testing any standard def material on any of the connections would be helpful. You know, how good is the scaling, is the 4:3 aspect ratio preserved and is such an image scaled to the top & bottom edges of the screen without overscan, and that sort of thing.

BTW, does the screen pivot? If not, does it have VESA mounting holes so I could maybe replace the leg with a pivoting arm?

Thanks!

Hi,

I can connect my Wii to it I suppose tonight as I have that through component on my HDTV at the moment,
I could run it in 4:3 mode instead of 16:9, will sort out some pics tonight in both modes to show you the scaling as that should be the same if not similar to the gamecube.

The screen does not pivot on the stock stand, only tilt but I have ordered an Ergotron LX arm to allow all adjustments. Hazro have an optional VESA mounting bracket which I have so just waiting for the arm to arrive now.

Keyman, besides the monitor, availability needs to be discussed as well.

Most especially since it's sold in UK and with limited EU shipments. I would really like to know when it will be available for purchase in Asia :[

Hi,
I can connect my Wii to it I suppose tonight as I have that through component on my HDTV at the moment,
I could run it in 4:3 mode instead of 16:9, will sort out some pics tonight in both modes to show you the scaling as that should be the same if not similar to the gamecube.

Excellent, thank you. Both modes would be good. Can't wait! :) If the display doesn't overscan either of these, it's a must buy for me.

The screen does not pivot on the stock stand, only tilt but I have ordered an Ergotron LX arm to allow all adjustments. Hazro have an optional VESA mounting bracket which I have so just waiting for the arm to arrive now.

Where did you buy the bracket? overclockers.co.uk doesn't seem to have it, and Hazro doesn't mention any other resellers, AFAIK.

I have had the Hazro sent back to me today after firmware upgrade so have been unabel to do those other tests but do have a HD1080p photo to show but TBH you cannot ever get the same feel as in person but for the sake of it!

The Bracket was from Hazro direct, I simply mentioned it when purchasing the screen and one was sent to me some weeks later when they came into production. It's about £10 IIRC.

pc_TFT_Z24Wi_2.1_1080pblackness.jpg

The details are clear and crisp, the version 2.1 firmware gets deeper blacks (read below for more info on this) and bleed is very minimal if at all visible.

For you guys still in limbo about buying one of these:

The ANC man came to deliver the screen today (firmware upgrade done by Hazro to version 2.1 to fix branding reports and also dim the backlight for better luminance) and so I set about putting it back into action.

I can confirm the out of the box black point has been improved somewhat. It's now reporting 0.4cd/m2 before and after calibration. An excellent improvement in the 2.1 firmware!

I can confirm that the lack of RGB adjustment is not a major issue. The preset 6500k colour mode is actually 6800k which is not too bad but after calibration I've gotten it almost bang on 6500k with 1% deviation.

The luminance of the backlight has also been reduced somewhat from 400 odd cd/m2 to around 210-250 depending on how you like your brightness and contrast settings. Mine are at 50 and 25.

My before and after calibration results are below:

BEFORE
pc_TFT_Z24Wi_2.1_outofbox.PNG

AFTER
pc_TFT_Z24Wi_2.1_calibrated.PNG

What does it all mean? it means now the HZ24Wi has excellent blackpoint levels, VA panel standard without the colour shifting symptoms of non IPS panels. It also has a much more pleasing out of the box luminance so isn't eye burning right away.

Version 2.1 firmware means the HZ24Wi is now made of awesome and win

Hey, hey Hazro...
youreawesome!.gif

With the new firmware... I think this may be the first complete LCD monitor...

Come to North America!

It certainly has squashed the small amount of doubt I had for IPS panels mainly in regards to black depth :)

What does it all mean? it means now the HZ24Wi has excellent blackpoint levels

It means nothing.

The native language of this forum is not English, not French, etc.
It's Technish.

Unless you speak Technish you say nothing.

0.4 cd/m2 is too high for minimal black.

What is it's brightness of white at max and min brightness?
What is it's brightness of black at max and min brightness?

I am glad you report you like it, but it still gives little info of what it is.

Why would it matter what the value is at max/min brightness? nobody uses the screen at absolute max or min. The value means something at the user's preferred (or calibrated) settings and I've never erad anywhere be it a review site or forum about it having being an important factor to know the value at min/max brightness for white and black points - Probably because nobody uses a screen at those far ends of the scale.

The Lacie BlueEyePro calibration PDF report tells all you need to know about the accuracy of the monitor now. The rest is all down to how an individual interprets input lag, motion blurr, default backlight luminance if it's not been specified pre-calibration etc.

I'd be highly surprised now to see if there is a 24" non wide gamut IPS display that has the performance and accuracy of the 2.1 version HZ24Wi.

Why would it matter what the value is at max/min brightness? nobody uses the screen at absolute max or min. The value means something at the user's preferred (or calibrated) settings and I've never erad anywhere be it a review site or forum about it having being an important factor to know the value at min/max brightness for white and black points - Probably because nobody uses a screen at those far ends of the scale.

Many people find screens too bright and use them an minimum. I use my NEC 2490 at ZERO brightness about 90% of the time.

I would like every review to produce a simple table of values like I did for my review on the effects of the brightness control. It shows that the backlight control actually works, it shows the range of values for black/power/white. It might also tell you if your calibration is compromised. Like you discover your monitor can do 800 contrast across the range yet you get half that after calibration, then something is likely wrong. It is simple (took under 15 minutes) and valuable info IMO.

Here is my table for my 2490. This is uncalibrated native state:
backlightnq0.png

I also discovered after doing this that not only do LCDs have a warm up, they have a cool down. If you run high for a while your low won't go as low until it cools down.

My actual calibrated normal running values are now 148/0.22 cd/m2. I am very happy with these values.

But for a mini review with pics :) that goes beyond the scope of the majority though. Sure it's nice to see the figures but delving that deep into it all would mean you're never going to find a perfect LCD for your needs because the numbers will matter 'too' much when the standard values after calibration are just right :S

Well you are NEVER going to find a perfect LCD (The perfect is the enemy of the good) but you can find a good to great LCD.

But with Hazro known to have NO backlight control on their last 26" screen (major screwup), it would be vital for me to see that info before I would consider a Hazro product.

Sure BL control would have been good and there is a new range being released in February that does have backlight control and some other controls not found on the current range.

I'll most likely snap one up for testing out and keeping if it is better by a fair degree than this revision of the 24" and sell the old one as they should still be holding value quite well with the above results in mind.

Why would it matter what the value is at max/min brightness?

Because technical description works this way.
When we talk about how good is black on a particular monitor we mean black value at min brightness.
To be more informative, you give max value as well.
A competent reviewer would give the whole picture - from min to max step by step - so we get the full info about what this monitor brightness is and how it works.

Examples.

dell2408brightnesscontrbb2.jpg

measurements1om1.jpg

Otherwise there is no sense - description is not complete.
You give 0.4 cd/m2 of black which is bad if it's minimal.

So from your report, Hazro's black is either bad or still unknown.

The 2408WFP uses Samsung's VA panel and it's no secret VA panels offer blackpoint and whitepoint values than IPS.

You should post the same table but for another IPS display.

I'd be highly surprised now to see if there is a 24" non wide gamut IPS display that has the performance and accuracy of the 2.1 version HZ24Wi.

Don't be surprised, I have published the NEC 2490 measurements many times.

2490vs2475calibrated1hd6.jpg

Here the reference monitor is the NEC 2490:
bestcalibrationresults1bh6.jpg

The 2408WFP uses Samsung's VA panel and it's no secret VA panels offer blackpoint and whitepoint values than IPS.

You should post the same table but for another IPS display.

Here you are.
NEC 3090, NEC 2490, HP 2475 - all IPS.
They all have better performance regarding black than....what? (we have no measurements:()

VA panels not necessarily have better black than IPS, BTW.

robbiekhan said:
What does it all mean? it means now the HZ24Wi has excellent blackpoint levels
I'm sorry, but you are deluding yourself. The black levels you reported are crap. Not only that, you also have the white glow to deal with. It's an improvement from the original, but it's still far from ideal. The HP LP2475w can do better, and if you want sRGB, even the 23" Apple can do better.

If these monitors had proper backlight control, you'd be able to get around 0.25 cd/m² at 175 cd/m² and around 0.2 cd/m² at 140 cd/m², which is much more comfortable for most people.

What I don't understand is why so many people didn't mention the lack of backlight control in their review of this monitor. That's a serious oversight.

Hey ToastyX - so I'm guessing the same problem applies to the HZ26Wi, with no backlight control either?

Mav451 said:
Hey ToastyX - so I'm guessing the same problem applies to the HZ26Wi, with no backlight control either?
Yes, and the same problem also applies to the new DoubleSight DS-265W, but at least the pictures I've seen of the HZ26Wi and the DS-265W show that they have the A-TW polarizer. The new DoubleSight also only has 16:10 and 4:3 scaling like the 26" Hazro. I get the feeling whoever manufactures the monitors for Hazro also manufactures the monitors for DoubleSight, especially considering the 30" model looks identical, but it seems at least Hazro is working on getting them to add featuers while DoubleSight just sells whatever they get.

Edit: Does it say what country it's manufactured in on the back?

The 2.1 firmware update fixes banding issues completely and aims to minimise green snowing (I've not see any snow since getting mine back). because of this the new firmware takes up more memory than before so RGB controls which dimmed the backlight had to be omitted. They chose this because it was the least problematic way to go about it and puts the monitor no different to the Apple Cinema displays which don't have an OSD as such and everything si done via DDC/CI with software. The February release of the new models will fix this and they should have onboard LUT too from what I've been told.

to robbiekhan

hi,

i had recently posted in the forum about choosing a 24" monitor and gave a selection but got no replys of which two of the screens was an 24" TN acer g24 and a Hyundai W240D-PVA 24" which was on overclockers.co.uk for £340 and £315 respectively,
as i manly game and watch and use xvid / internet i was hoping to ask advice on the hazro you reviewed.
after looking around and reading your review (very good read) on the HZ24Wi i think that would be the better choice as it only around £90 more and a better screen (ips).
my question is firstly i have a Ergotron LX Arm on my desk and seeing as you mentioned you were ordering one may i ask how much the monitor weighs as in would the arm take the weight because being metal wouldnt it be heavier than the tn / pva which are mainly lightweight plastics? does yours take the weight?

my ergotron says it supports....Weight capacity 5–20 lbs (2.3–9.1 kg)

and lastly how does it cope with games compared to cheaper 24"tn panels? i can tolerate faint ghosting but not heavy.

how is the quality for bad pixels? in the low numbers?

many thanks

Hi there,

All the questions you have have been answered already but I will outline them below for easyness :)

1:
Ergotron LC won't work on it, it's too heavy (had it) - Contacted Ergotron and a new model is out by Xmas that supports the weight of the Hazro so keep an eye out for that!

2:
There is no ghosting in games, no inverse ghosting anywhere either

3:
Input lag is between 16 and 32ms from testing against a CRT but in reality you won't notice this. I certainly don't and FPS game regularly as well as use a Logitech MX Revolution mouse and also watch movies during the nights.

4:
I don't know what Hazro's pixel policy is (never needed to check) but mine has zero dead pixels, very minimal backlight bleed but this is more of the IPS white shading you get from various angles so probably not even backlight bleeding. It does not cause any concern though.

5:
I've had the Hyundai 24", Dell 2408WFP, BenQ FP241W and the new HP L2475 24" IPS display and rate the build and image quality + performance of the Hazro above all them.

The Dell was the worst with very bad text fringing and input lag beyond 60ms.

Hope that helps.

Hi there,

All the questions you have have been answered already but I will outline them below for easyness :)

1:
Ergotron LC won't work on it, it's too heavy (had it) - Contacted Ergotron and a new model is out by Xmas that supports the weight of the Hazro so keep an eye out for that!

2:
There is no ghosting in games, no inverse ghosting anywhere either

3:
Input lag is between 16 and 32ms from testing against a CRT but in reality you won't notice this. I certainly don't and FPS game regularly as well as use a Logitech MX Revolution mouse and also watch movies during the nights.

4:
I don't know what Hazro's pixel policy is (never needed to check) but mine has zero dead pixels, very minimal backlight bleed but this is more of the IPS white shading you get from various angles so probably not even backlight bleeding. It does not cause any concern though.

5:
I've had the Hyundai 24", Dell 2408WFP, BenQ FP241W and the new HP L2475 24" IPS display and rate the build and image quality + performance of the Hazro above all them.

The Dell was the worst with very bad text fringing and input lag beyond 60ms.

Hope that helps.

Just out of curiosity what ticked you off with the BenQ FP241W ?

I had 2 replacements of the BenQ, all of them had random blackouts, they were different versions too (firmware) so latest firmware did not fix it. The heat the screen gave off was too high as well and I could not get used to the VA based panel and the BenQ luminance on that display (was still too bright after calibration or too dark if specifying a white point. After having the Dell 2007WFP I was sold on IPS really.

Has anyone heard of a North American retailer selling the HZ24Wi? If not (which seems to be the case) is there an expected date of arrival state side?

Has anyone heard of a North American retailer selling the HZ24Wi? If not (which seems to be the case) is there an expected date of arrival state side?

I keep emailing Hazro about an ETA but they never answer me back. Their website lists Winter 2008 as a probable date and October (this month) as to what they anticipate.

anyone here got the 26" i version of the hazro?

how does that compare to the 24", and yes im aware of the backlight and drivers having to being reduced to lowers number because on enabled backlight.

tftcentral said its lag had improved 2 fold to nearly same level as samsung 245b compared the the slower 24"

and how is the standard mount on the 26"? i know it only tilts but is that all thats really required on the desk as its so large or can it be awkward/uncomfortabe with no pivete option?
only say this as my ergotron lx wont fit and am not spending more on another arm next year.

just checkin as this is my first large screen purchase coming from a 19" hyundai L90+ but i decided id get a decent screen as you only make one purchase with any monitor unlike the rig portion thats ugraded yearly or sooner if money isnt your enemy :(

cheers

Back