HardOCP Question on SSD

Intel

Intel first and foremost... Their SSD lineup is tried and true, totally robust and bullet proof, and their customer support is top notch (in the event you ever need it).

Some snotty kids in here are going to shoot their mouths off and start poo-pooing Intel's SSDs because of their lower write speeds, but the TRUTH is that your drive spends 95% of it's lifetime doing reads. Read speeds with the Intel SSD lineup are respectable and the 70mb/s write speed is NOT a hinderance.

OCZ

OCZ seems to be the 'go-to' brand next to Intel and with fairly good reason. Reliability is good (although not as good as Intel) and the speeds the current lineup offers are great. If I couldn't buy Intel I would gladly put my money on an OCZ unit.

If I had to pick a third I would probably go with Crucial... their drives are fairly decent but their customer service is great and that makes them a pick.

I would NOT reccomend Corsair.

<GASP!> Yes, I just said that.

I love Corsair. I've had the pleasure of using their memory for... well hell since the begenning of time itself. Corsair has also managed to make a name for itself in the PSU market and if you'd told me they would be making PSUs 7 years ago I'd think you were nuts.

However my distaste for Corsair SSDs comes from my experience about 6 months ago. I had a Corsair SSD for a customer build that just up and died and wouldn't be recognized in the BIOS. Upon researching the problem it seemed like it was rather rampant and common when reading their customer support forums. Scary. These drives were just dropping dead (or halfway dead, sometimes they come back) and no-one could figure out why. But what really turned me off was Corsair's seemingly cavalier attitude about it all. They seemed unwilling to investigate these issues and in many cases threw blame at the customers...

From perusing their forums today it seems like a lot of the 'vanishing SSD' issues seem to have been solved, but observing how things were handled back then by Corsair spending my money on an SSD with their logo in it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm no hater though... I absolutely LOVE their PSUs, and of course their other memory-based products are excellent.

Intel, Crucial, OCZ,,, everyone else is seeming to have major issues with either firmware compatability or controllers

OCZ, Intel & Crucial

Would have had Corsair as #3 if not for their horrid handling of the HS1 mic fiasco.

Intel
Intel
Intel.
I like SLC drives in RAID0.
My 2 main rigs have 4 drive RAID0 arrays of X25-e drives, running win7 with all the thrashing disabled.
If anyone made SLC drives that were cheaper, performed better, and had the reliability track record down in the enterprise market (where the real thrashing happens.), I'd be glad to check them out.

Intel, Crucial and reluctantly Crucial. I've had nothing but horrible horrible trouble with my Crucial F120 SSD even after firmware upgrade I get the bsod's several times a day. I've had to stop using the SSD in fact and go back to an older harddrive.

OCZ,OCZ,OCZ

Only because that's the only brand I've tried and they've been great.

OMG. I'm editing this. Where did the edit button come from?

Ahem.

OCZ, OCZ, OCZ

-why no Intel?
1. Too Expensive
2. Despite their name/rep has released bad firmwares
3. slow(er)

-why nobody else? Everything else is a rehash of either intel or ocz.

-why OCZ?

I strongly believe OCZ has an insatiable thirst to maintain their market leader position and will aggressively push the edge of their present technologies (i.e. firmware updates) and the platform itself to maintain this status.

Back