Halo Infinite

Halo was never a great game, it's just at the time console players had never seen anything resembling a modern FPS. Same with 007, so it has the way over hyped legacy but I think in modern times it will be a mediocre game only successful due to nostalgic buys.

Halo was never a great game, it's just at the time console players had never seen anything resembling a modern FPS. Same with 007, so it has the way over hyped legacy but I think in modern times it will be a mediocre game only successful due to nostalgic buys.

Halo: CE was a great game. Great music, damn good level design, solid gunplay, a good look to the world, a well told (though cliche) story, good enemy verity, enemy AI beyond what ANY shooter had at the time (better than some current ones too). So, no, it wasn't Goldeneye. Even when CE released on the PC with Gearbox's iffy port it was still a great shooter on the PC.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Halo: CE was a great game. Great music, damn good level design, solid gunplay, a good look to the world, a well told (though cliche) story, good enemy verity, enemy AI beyond what ANY shooter had at the time (better than some current ones too). So, no, it wasn't Goldeneye. Even when CE released on the PC with Gearbox's iffy port it was still a great shooter on the PC.

There were literal copy and past map sections throughout the campaign.

like this
There was but overall it just worked. It just all came together well.

Maybe for those reminiscing with excessive degrees of nostalgia. All I remember is a tedious borefest coupled with a bland C-grade sci-fi plot. The only real accolade Halo deserved was being the first console FPS game that didn't completely suck being played on a gamepad.

Maybe for those reminiscing with excessive degrees of nostalgia. All I remember is a tedious borefest coupled with a bland C-grade sci-fi plot. The only real accolade Halo deserved was being the first console FPS game that didn't completely suck being played on a gamepad.

I replayed it back when the MCC first came out. Still had a ton of fun with it. But, hey, everyone has different opinions.

The Halo trailers have always been really good in the past. I've been excited to see the new games, but this trailer didn't get me very excited at all. I actually got bored watching it. Then MC finally came and it was just meh.

The Halo trailers have always been really good in the past. I've been excited to see the new games, but this trailer didn't get me very excited at all. I actually got bored watching it. Then MC finally came and it was just meh.

Yeah. I was hoping they would show some actual gameplay or give some real information on what the game is. I'm sure next there will probably be a lot more on it, but I'd rather they give it a lot of time now and then spend next E3 focusing on the other launch titles or what-not instead of needing to get all the Halo info out a handful of months before release.

Yeah. I was hoping they would show some actual gameplay or give some real information on what the game is.
They're still trying to figure that out themselves. So far they're still sitting around in a big meeting room, with "New Halo. Ideas?" written on a big white board. A bunch of people looking at their phones and one guy's tossing cards into a hat.

Halo-Infinite-new-in-engine-screenshot.jpg

Looks like Halo meets Borderlands. I never cared about Halo but I'd play this based on trailer.

I dunno. Enjoyed Halo 1 - 3 but things really became stale after those original games. Reach was good, but moreso for the story that it told than revolutionary gameplay.

I do like the direction they're going with Infinite, the open world map, hookshot leads me to believe there will be more of a focus on exploration. But, I dunno. Going by that demo, it appears the fancy new map system is just a fancy way to get to sections of the same old gameplay from the previous entries. And, yeah, I do agree that the graphics themselves don't look like a huge upgrade from the older titles. Though in their defense, this game is also meant to be played on a Xbox One.

Hopefully the final game's exploration will be something similar to Metroid Prime.

Graphics aren't everything but I do have to say it does look a bit underwhelming. You'd think for the classic Xbox seller it would've looked a bit better and leverage the new system (and PC) power to its advantage. I assume putting it on the One meant they have to hold it back a bit, and maybe they're going for high frame rates on the console version.

Open world sounds underwhelming, really the last thing I'd want when playing a Halo game.

Will play Halo 3 soon though now that its out on PC.

343 calls Halo Infinite 'the start of the next 10 years for Halo'

Halo Infinite Studio Head Chris Lee: “Halo Infinite is the start of our platform for the future,” he said. “We want Infinite to grow over time, versus going to those numbered titles and having all that segmentation that we had before. It’s really about creating Halo Infinite as the start of the next ten years for Halo and then building that as we go with our fans and community.”

This does not mean that Halo Infinite is a live service game, a la Destiny. But it does mean that new story experiences will be told underneath Infinite’s umbrella, and it also means Infinite will be evolved technologically for quite a while. 343 confirmed that Infinite will get a free ray-tracing update sometime after launch...

https://www.ign.com/articles/halo-infinite-2-wont-be-happening-says-343-industries

I couldn't agree with you more. Halo, is, IMO, one of the most consistently mediocre game series across all platforms. It always seems to be a generation or two behind every other major AAA title. I keep waiting for them do update the gun and impact physics at the very least at they keep disappointing. The gunplay feels like you're shooting brick walls with Nerf guns, it's so insanely boring.

I couldn't agree with you more. Halo, is, IMO, one of the most consistently mediocre game series across all platforms. It always seems to be a generation or two behind every other major AAA title. I keep waiting for them do update the gun and impact physics at the very least at they keep disappointing. The gunplay feels like you're shooting brick walls with Nerf guns, it's so insanely boring.
I agree also. Console players have even moved on from the halo series. Will it sell well? Sure but it is not the system seller like it was on the OG Xbox.

like this
343 does seem a tad... out of their minds... calling the game in that trailer "the platform for the next decade of Halo". The "Raytracing coming post-launch in a patch" thing makes me wonder if it won't be PC-only, and that they didn't want to show it now and overpromise because the Series X can't actually handle it.

But I still have to give Microsoft credit overall for not excluding PC on Xbox games going forward, as they did for most of the last two decades. That weighs heavy, even if they realized they had no choice but include PC as a means of survival.

343 does seem a tad... out of their minds... calling the game in that trailer "the platform for the next decade of Halo". The "Raytracing coming post-launch in a patch" thing makes me wonder if it won't be PC-only, and that they didn't want to show it now and overpromise because the Series X can't actually handle it.

But I still have to give Microsoft credit overall for not excluding PC on Xbox games going forward, as they did for most of the last two decades. That weighs heavy, even if they realized they had no choice but include PC as a means of survival.

Honestly PC is a total failure any time halo ports, not the least of which is because halo has aim assist and they make it strong. So mouse and keyboard players just say why? Why would I bother playing a game where anyone can plug in a shitty controller and get free aim while I have to actually work for it. And chances are that feedback will mean that they will eventually back track and make it console only citing poor popularity. Another thing I have no clue on is if they are going to free to play. Now days a game is basically DOA if it isnt F2P.

Looks like Halo meets Borderlands. I never cared about Halo but I'd play this based on trailer.
More like Halo meets gears of war.

At first I Though it is a Halo1 remaster reveal. I was never a big Halo fan, played the very first game but always thought it was mediocre and way too long, never actually played it to completion.

Activision can pump out constant Call of Duty games and DLC while managing to keep up with basic graphic standards. Halo comes out once or twice a generation and 343 (and Bungie) can barely keep up with being consistently a generation behind. I wouldn't even mind the poor lighting and texture quality if the gunplay and physics didn't feel like something from 2005.

Playing Ghost of Tsushima on PS4 and watching this, a Series X flagship title, really makes me wonder WTF Microsoft and 343 is doing?

Wait what? Doom64, Perfect Dark, Turok all say hello. There were others as well but the n64 stands out.

The graphics remind me of Halo 3. In Halo 3 the big thing they focused on with graphics was unlimited draw distance with no skybox. These graphics do not look next gen. The graphics look like a current gen Halo 3 remaster.

The gameplay looks meh. I think they failed to understand what made old Halo gameplay fun. In the original Halo games the enemies had a lot of interaction with each other and their behavior varied a lot based on the other enemies they were with. You rarely fought one enemy at a time because the gameplay was designed around the interactions. You would fight large groups at once and how the enemies interacted with each other was core to the gameplay. This new game looks like they just added enemies that behave individually. It looks like the enemies can do some cool things, but that gets boring fast compared to the huge variation in gameplay you would get with the group interactions. This looks more like a generic FPS gameplay skinned with a Halo theme, which is basically what the last several Halo games have been so I'm not surprised. Halo is just another generic FPS now.

As for the people who think Halo 1 wasn't that good, you sound like a bunch of salty losers or people that were 5 years old during a major history event and acting like they're some sort of expert explaining it to other people 20 years later.
The comparable PC game at the time was Unreal 2... lol

As for the people who think Halo 1 wasn't that good, you sound like a bunch of salty losers or people that were 5 years old during a major history event and acting like they're some sort of expert explaining it to other people 20 years later.
The comparable PC game at the time was Unreal 2... lol

How does thinking Halo was an average shooter make anyone a "salty loser"? I don't think you actually know what those words mean. I was 20 when the original Halo came out and it was an above average console shooter and but only an average shooter all around.

Off the top of my head, better games than Halo during that time period:

Max Payne
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
No One Lives Forever
Deus Ex
Mech Warrior 4

Honestly PC is a total failure any time halo ports, not the least of which is because halo has aim assist and they make it strong. So mouse and keyboard players just say why? Why would I bother playing a game where anyone can plug in a shitty controller and get free aim while I have to actually work for it. And chances are that feedback will mean that they will eventually back track and make it console only citing poor popularity. Another thing I have no clue on is if they are going to free to play. Now days a game is basically DOA if it isnt F2P.

Halo 1 was the only good port. It received numerous upgrades over its console counterparts. The only issue was that it didn't run particularly well unless you had a really high end NVIDIA card and Intel CPU at the time. The MCE now is pretty decent, but the problem is, the games are extremely dated. Even the remastered Halo 1 and 2 are looking dated when played on modern PC hardware.

How does thinking Halo was an average shooter make anyone a "salty loser"? I don't think you actually know what those words mean. I was 20 when the original Halo came out and it was an above average console shooter and but only an average shooter all around.

Max Payne
No One Lives Forever
Deus Ex
Mech Warrior 4

I think those are great games but I don't think any of them are better than Halo CE.

Halo CE was originally going to be on Mac, then MS bought Bungie and it was going to be on PC. They showed off an awesome E3 trailer and everyone was hyped up. When MS changed it to an Xbox only game a lot of PC gamers were salty and said basically the exact thing you're saying. "Oh, it's just an average game, oh these PC games were way better, etc." and never actually owned an xbox and legitimately played the game game through, experienced actual multiplayer, etc. I'm not saying you can't actually believe those games are better, but what your'e saying sounds exactly like those people.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
I think those are great games but I don't think any of them are better than Halo CE.

Halo CE was originally going to be on Mac, then MS bought Bungie and it was going to be on PC. They showed off an awesome E3 trailer and everyone was hyped up. When MS changed it to an Xbox only game a lot of PC gamers were salty and said basically the exact thing you're saying. "Oh, it's just an average game, oh these PC games were way better, etc." and never actually owned an xbox and legitimately played the game game through, experienced actual multiplayer, etc. I'm not saying you can't actually believe those games are better, but what your'e saying sounds exactly like those people.
I'm not saying you can't actually believe halo is better than those games, but please remind me never to take game buying advice from you.

"Legitimately played" hilarious. Who decides what is legitimate? You, am I rite? Yeah everyone who doesn't think this basic shooter game is better than all those fan favorites / critically acclaimed titles are just salty about some exlusivity they don't even remember. I certainly did not remember halo was exclusive, I only remember learning about it when it was out for the PC.

To be honest, I really really enjoyed playing Halo back in the day but the biggest draw honestly was that me and my buddy could both sit in his room and play split screen through the campaign all day long.

Sure other games had split screen multiplayer but 1v1 or 1v1v1 always got old quick compared to co-op, and for me and I’m guessing many others it was one of their first big true cooperative experiences. The only thing I can really think of prior to Halo would be sidescrolling beat em ups and Secret of Mana. And I played the absolutely hell out of Secret of Mana co-op back in the day.

I'm not saying you can't actually believe halo is better than those games, but please remind me never to take game buying advice from you.

"Legitimately played" hilarious. Who decides what is legitimate? You, am I rite? Yeah everyone who doesn't think this basic shooter game is better than all those fan favorites / critically acclaimed titles are just salty about some exlusivity they don't even remember. I certainly did not remember halo was exclusive, I only remember learning about it when it was out for the PC.

I think they meant legitimate as in played the game start to finish rather than just fed off of the opinions of others not that they’re deciding what is and isn’t legitimate.

What I remember most about the original Halo, and what really separated from other singleplayer FPS at the time, was the enemy AI. I remember the AI of the covenant being extremely smart (for the time), and Legendary being an especially good time. The use of open world-ish playgrounds with vehicles and smart AI were a lot of fun back then.

But - yeah, I mostly agree with the negativity towards Infinite's graphics. They look dated and uninspired. I read a comment somewhere where a poster mentioned that the game needs an entirely new art direction and that it's aesthetic is stuck in 2001. Which I totally get. The game needs a makeover in design and look (similar to how Sony handled God of War 5). A No Man's Sky-esque game with Chief and the Pilot floating through space, collecting resources, fighting covenant (and others) on derelict space ships, Halo facilities, all while filling out the narrative of what happened to UNSC since Halo 5 could've been cool. Just something other than a retread of the original game.

But who knows, apparently this is an early build of the game. Hopefully the final product will be more compelling.

Unreal 2 was actually pretty good. And the MP for (

Max Payne
No One Lives Forever
Deus Ex
Mech Warrior 4

Not all those games you listed were FPS games though, so that's not really a good comparison.

The thing about Halo is it had a lot hype of being from Bungie as Marathon was amazing, but for Mac. So when Halo was going to be for the PC it was heralded as the greatest thing ever, and the information and media for it was phenominal. Then it turned into Xbox and the same people that hyped it turned around and shat on it and it turned into a hilarious amount of sour grapes. It truly was ground breaking in many ways, it did deliver, it was one of the best of it's era. Sure it released on the wrong platform for some people, but it was great.

The PC port was really good as well, if you could run it.

I was more into Quake and UT at the time but Halo was good stuff and I played through it on Xbox and PC a couple times and had a blast in the MP.

Back