Hack Your Nintendo Switch and ALL NVIDIA Tegra X1 Processors

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I am not going to proclaim that there are a lot of things to do with your hacked Nintendo Switch, as I have never touched one, but I think the bigger story is that it is being proclaimed that all NVIDIA Tegra X1 processors are hackable with a wire jumper. Before you go throwing your hands up and running around waiting for the sky to fall, this is one of those things that requires physical access to the device. Cool to see. I guess this means someone might steal all your Pokemons? Thanks Monkey34.

It's not just limited to the Nintendo Switch. Temkin has discovered that the exploit extends across Nvidia's entire line of Tegra X1 processors. - Since this bug is in the Boot ROM, it cannot be patched without a hardware revision, meaning all Switch units in existence today are vulnerable, forever. - Will work on ANY Nintendo Switch console regardless of the currently installed firmware, and will be completely future proof.

You can use a simple piece of wire to bridge Pin 10 and Pin 7 on the console's right Joy-Con connector. They've also linked to a 3D-printable accessory that can be created in tandem with a micro-USB connector. It's only a few short steps, and acts as a "permanent" solution since the exploit needs to be executed at every boot.

I'm def going to be buying a switch now.

But, just to be clear, about 6 or 7 weeks ago I bought 7 or 8 Switch games from a woman off Craigslist for $25 a piece. So I do own all the top titles. The goal being to sell them and make an extra $125+ dollars but, never got around to it because I thought I would just pick up a nice used one soon enough.

Looks like I've now made my decision.

Whoops. Buy 'em while they're hot, I guess. Personally NVidia can burn.

I guess this is another reason for Nintendo to look at Tegra 2 sooner rather than later?

This will never get fixed. IIRC, Nintendo never did anything about the Wii or Wii U hacks either, which was funny because the exploit required their first party Zelda game at the time.

Honestly, I don't expect this to make a huge impact for Nintendo. They will gain several thousands of new console owners who will buy the console along with accessories.

It's a very Family oriented console and I strongly suspect most of the people buying games are not going to suddenly change their habits and dive right into piracy.

On the other hand, you have a lot of gamers that will jump in expressly for the homebrew scene.

Back in the day there were a ton of Japanese SNES games I wanted to play so I was basically forced to get a Super Wild Card DX2 in order to play them. I did buy a very large amount of SNES games but I did have a very large number of Japanese Roms.

maxresdefault.jpg

Honestly, I don't expect this to make a huge impact for Nintendo. They will gain several thousands of new console owners who will buy the console along with accessories.

It's a very Family oriented console and I strongly suspect most of the people buying games are not going to suddenly change their habits and dive right into piracy.

On the other hand, you have a lot of gamers that will jump in expressly for the homebrew scene.

Back in the day there were a ton of Japanese SNES games I wanted to play so I was basically forced to get a Super Wild Card DX2 in order to play them. I did buy a very large amount of SNES games but I did have a very large number of Japanese Roms.

View attachment 69028

DS and 3DS piracy was/is huge. With the Switch (likely) being the new handheld and every single one of them vulnerable, rip Nintendo.

I loved my gamecube until they locked down region free (boot loader discs no longer worked). I purchased a legit naruto taisen 4 game from japan, we loved it... then they blocked it.

switch is region free which is great... but literally if you wanted to play you had to pirate the game and then use dolphin on a pc which is dumb. I'm all for nintendo but they need to keep modernizing specs, storage and online... they didnt quiet get it right with switch but its still a cool system... definitely a step in the right direction.

also when your 16 to graduating from college... im not so hard on pirating... when your a grown up with a career making a decent living... support the companies you enjoy otherwise the next generation wont have the same memories you had when your parents BOUGHT your games and your system as a kid.

At this rate I give the switch a year before we see a full set of software and modified storefronts for easy game pirating like we already have on the 3ds. CHances are it will be complicated enough to stop most people from doing it, will be interesting to see how nintendo handles it.

Oh.... baby....

Considering my latest console is still the original Wii, this will be great upgrade once the homebrew scene takes off.

All this will do is cause a few thousand hardware enthusiasts to buy one. Nvidia will release a fixed chip and this will only work on the 20 million early versions - making them slightly more valuable. I don’t see this leading to a huge piracy issue. It’s not easy enough to do - and Nintendo could brick units in future OS updates that are required to run new games and play online.

Definitely can't wait to try this, I want to eventually be able to not have to keep switching my physical cards to play a game and this will enable me to not have to take the cards with me everywhere as well. And can't wait to be able to emulate.

All this will do is cause a few thousand hardware enthusiasts to buy one. Nvidia will release a fixed chip and this will only work on the 20 million early versions - making them slightly more valuable. I don’t see this leading to a huge piracy issue. It’s not easy enough to do - and Nintendo could brick units in future OS updates that are required to run new games and play online.
Most likely Nvidia will release fixed versions of their chip, but I doubt Nintendo will brick peoples Switches cause of piracy. It would leave a lot of people with a bad taste in their mouth. As for piracy, Nintendo has had to deal with this for a long time. None of their consoles have ever been safe from the pirates. If this doesn't do it, people will find an alternative method.

View attachment 69028
I want one of them SNES was my fist console and near to my heart. My dad also got me a used sega with the sega cd and it was sweet old console add on's are the shit. Can you add the knuckles cart to this thing?

This will never get fixed. IIRC, Nintendo never did anything about the Wii or Wii U hacks either, which was funny because the exploit required their first party Zelda game at the time.

They already are. They released a new firmware and changed a whole bunch of things (especially the way it writes to ram), in it is also a new SoC code for another Tegra chip. Fairly certain a revision is being made expressly to stop this.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
well I guess that will teach Nintendo a lesson about dumping AMD for NVidia lol... and hello piracy of all of the switch titles...

To each their own brother. I'll enjoy playing my Switch while you wait around for an emulator.

Maybe he's on MGT like me (married gamer time). You might rush out to pay full price and play....by the time I get to it, I could emulate it, or buy it on the cheap.

Probably just a strategic delayed ploy to get people to buy the Switch in mass after the Christmas war is over.
They will probably end support soon and develop a V2 while the V1 becomes an emulator machine.

Maybe he's on MGT like me (married gamer time). You might rush out to pay full price and play....by the time I get to it, I could emulate it, or buy it on the cheap.
thats the nice thing about the switch, I get way more play time with portable systems mainly due to the wife and kids. By the time I get home and deal with daily life I dont get any alone time untill 9pm, vs when I have my 3ds and laptop I can play my games on coffee/lunch and slow times. I end up getting alot more gaming in like this than at home during the week day which is why the switch is awesome, even when emulators do come out the cost of a laptop that could run the emulator properly would be way WAY more than just buying the dang switch lol.

Am
thats the nice thing about the switch, I get way more play time with portable systems mainly due to the wife and kids. By the time I get home and deal with daily life I dont get any alone time untill 9pm, vs when I have my 3ds and laptop I can play my games on coffee/lunch and slow times. I end up getting alot more gaming in like this than at home during the week day which is why the switch is awesome, even when emulators do come out the cost of a laptop that could run the emulator properly would be way WAY more than just buying the dang switch lol.

Amen to that. The only quality gaming timing I seem to get lately is the 60+ min I spend a day commuting by train. My phone is really the only reason I'm still able to game.

It's a universal constant that within 2 minutes launching Steam at home my wife will be asking for something. If I didn't know better, I'd say she was doing it on purpose :)

Am

Amen to that. The only quality gaming timing I seem to get lately is the 60+ min I spend a day commuting by train. My phone is really the only reason I'm still able to game.

It's a universal constant that within 2 minutes launching Steam at home my wife will be asking for something. If I didn't know better, I'd say she was doing it on purpose :)
Of course she is. I'll bet she's got a camera hidden somewhere, too...

I am very excited for this. I don't have any interest in pirating games, but I really want Moonlight on the Switch.

That will be the best of both worlds - Switch for first party Nintendo titles & Moonlight on the Switch for PC titles.

Back