[H] trending up, EVGA trending down

Well, sounds like I should do some system maintenence this week and clean up, get ready for 3 weeks out of town, can't have a system go down if were putting time back on the clock
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

if only glados were stable... 15k more right there

Well, sounds like I should do some system maintenence this week and clean up, get ready for 3 weeks out of town, can't have a system go down if were putting time back on the clock
haha i'm playing that game right now.

Just checked my HFM and one of my GPUs is on an eue pause, but other than that the 4 CPUs are still folding and 5 GPUs are folding, so thats ok

if only glados were stable... 15k more right there

You are going to run your system for 3 weeks while away from home? That is [H]ardcore!

Not that hardcore, I put all my rigs in the rack almost 2 months ago, they've been on their own for 6+ weeks, I only check EOC every week or so

if my numbers are shy I can log into them via logmein on my phone

in the field at Dix I'll have 0 signal, but luckly I have about a million dollars worth of fancy gear all in my name. Nothing like logging into your computer via a 1/4 million dollar satalite system, and now I've even got wireless in the field. Sometimes it's good to be the commo chief :)

lol im enjoying the weather here in california.. the hottest its been was 82 degrees 1 day out of the last 3 weeks.. last 5-6 days is been in the low to mid 60's.. :p

Really? Welcome to Michigan...
thermometer.jpg

I'm so glad I got the AC fixed today.

I just wonder if things will change much when GPU3 comes out. You've got to think there are a lot of Fermi GPUs over in the other camp...

I have no idea how different the calculations are, and I've heard that F@H sucks on ATI, but for dnetc, my HD5870 is about 6x as fast as my GTX285 was. ~1800mkeys compared to ~300mkeys. I think the CUDA client has actually been out longer and had more tweaking than the STREAM client too. At least theoretically, ATI could stomp Nvidia in F@H too.

Yup, 5 months now and this is without Tiger. :cool:

I definately can't wait till she gets bvack. I don't even want to think of what her electricity bill is, especially since she lives on the other side of the pond. Either way it is still exciting as i've never seen another group who are so enthusiastic about folding as we are here.

I definately can't wait till she gets bvack. I don't even want to think of what her electricity bill is, especially since she lives on the other side of the pond.

I thought Tiger was a "he"? :D

Well I stand corrected. I thought Tigerbiten was one of the two female folders on our team(the other being Ellenden). I found an old thread here and apparantly he is allergic to Tigers for a reason.

The internet does appear to be male dominated though, although I mostly hang out just here and a car based forum.

Well I stand corrected. I thought Tigerbiten was one of the two female folders on our team(the other being Ellenden).

Syribo :)
She hasn't posted in a few weeks though.
IDK if there's any others, if there are I apologize for missing you. :)

What plans does anyone have for moar "D" to push this back to 6 months?

The next round of give away boxen will start soon, thanks to the help and donations from many a [H]ard person.

Damnit, I knew I forgot something, I'll leave myself a reminder for Saturday and see if I can't get that psu mailed

The next round of give away boxen will start soon, thanks to the help and donations from many a [H]ard person.

I am very likely done until Bulldozer comes out as I won't have funds for another folding rig until the upcoming holiday season(hate thinking about it already). Don't we have a few people here who were planning on picking up the eVGA Classified SR2? Now that it is clear the 2684 bigadv requires some serious speed, i'm curious what those guys will do with overclocked Xeons on that mobo.

If we see a drop in the price of Thubans, I may upgrade my gaming rig and run it full time again if only to help hold that other team off a little longer. If the 32nm Gulftown derived Core i7 970 x6 comes out at a somewhat reasonable price, then that might be a possible option for my current folding rig.

None here except replacing a dying card or two, thanks to the heat wave. Of course that doesn't really count unless I replace the hardware with superior parts, but seeing how 'superior' usually means additional heat, I will have to be very selective, LOL. If anything I've cut down somewhat lately. I shut down my system that was running the only Ati client I had left. It's very possible I'll shut down more systems if it turns out to be mercury-buster this year. We'll see..

I am very likely done until Bulldozer comes out as I won't have funds for another folding rig until the upcoming holiday season(hate thinking about it already). Don't we have a few people here who were planning on picking up the eVGA Classified SR2? Now that it is clear the 2684 bigadv requires some serious speed, i'm curious what those guys will do with overclocked Xeons on that mobo.
Honestly, I am reconsidering the whole dual-socket approach to folding after nearly a decade doing it that way. Think about all those people who had eagerly awaited the SR-2 (some with bated breath I might add) believing they were going to invest in a solid folding foundation with the possibility of producing ~150k PPD or whatever they were speculating. What if EVGA was actually on time and had already released their board only to see its production levels plummet because of a revised client shortly thereafter? I know I for one would be very disappointed. It may have been a blessing in disguise if what everyone is saying about A3 -bigadv will become the new norm.

If we see a drop in the price of Thubans, I may upgrade my gaming rig and run it full time again if only to help hold that other team off a little longer. If the 32nm Gulftown derived Core i7 970 x6 comes out at a somewhat reasonable price, then that might be a possible option for my current folding rig.
A lower priced Gulftown variant will be very tempting when it will be released. That is something to be seriously considered for those with S1366 boards.

Last edited:
To Answer AMD and Kendrak

Just got my pre-order confirmation on my SR-2 :)
Should shipe June 2nd it appears, go figure, I'll be in training until the 19th, woot

That's what I'm doing to fight back, and once I get SR-2 in I can sell my last 2 GPU's and bask in 100kppd all from SMP muhahahaha (see sig rig's)

Now all I need is one more set of RAM and I've got a full build!!

Honestly, I am reconsidering the whole dual-socket approach to folding after nearly a decade doing it that way. Think about all those people who had eagerly awaited the SR-2 (some with bated breath I might add) believing they were going to invest in a solid folding foundation with the possibility of producing ~150k PPD or whatever they were speculating. What if EVGA was actually on time and had already released their board only to see its production levels plummet because of a revised client shortly thereafter? I know I for one would be very disappointed. It may have been a blessing in disguise if what everyone is saying about A3 -bigadv will become the new norm.

Evenif they change the point structure, a SR-2 rig costs the same as two equally set up i7 rigs, and as long as the bonus system stays in (which it seems it will) 1 faster machine will always outproduce 2 machines at the same clock

Even if they drop the bonus I'll still be using less power than 2 seperate rigs, and paying the long haul is where most large time folders start hitting the wall. With that rig I can shut down my GPU rig and save that for special pushes or use it as my test bench as I had planned. By the end of next month I'll be running just 2 clients, an i7 dedicated folder and a OC's dual xeon dedicated folder. I may switch around my motherboards to figure out why GLaDOS isnt running full blow, but I'll not turn on her 470 until It starts cooling down. My big project this summer is putting in the entire second floor so I'll be using the AC, and I dont want to shoot myself in the foot yet with AC bills.

Come fall/winter/spring tho, she'll be going full blast, hoping to keep from running the furnace to the office much. The rest of the rigs are in the rack in my folding room downstairs so they are cool 24/7/365

Evenif they change the point structure, a SR-2 rig costs the same as two equally set up i7 rigs, and as long as the bonus system stays in (which it seems it will) 1 faster machine will always outproduce 2 machines at the same clock
But it drastically increases the points production of any enthusiast who would otherwise buy a 980x as their main rig; even at $600, which I don't think is unrealistic, it would completely render the 980x obsolete - more memory (plus better overclocking with more memory) more bandwidth, more cores, potentially the same overclocking potential, at about $300-400 cheaper.

Evenif they change the point structure, a SR-2 rig costs the same as two equally set up i7 rigs, and as long as the bonus system stays in (which it seems it will) 1 faster machine will always outproduce 2 machines at the same clock.
The total cost of the system has yet to be established. People on other forums have speculated that total system cost built with a SR-2 will be higher than previously estimated. What exactly they base this on is not entirely known to me but my experience with dual-sockets has seen greater number of hidden expenses than single-socket setups, and always more can go wrong. Take that with a grain of salt if you will, I'm just relating my experience and what I had read.

Even if they drop the bonus I'll still be using less power than 2 seperate rigs, and paying the long haul is where most large time folders start hitting the wall. With that rig I can shut down my GPU rig and save that for special pushes or use it as my test bench as I had planned. By the end of next month I'll be running just 2 clients, an i7 dedicated folder and a OC's dual xeon dedicated folder. I may switch around my motherboards to figure out why GLaDOS isnt running full blow, but I'll not turn on her 470 until It starts cooling down. My big project this summer is putting in the entire second floor so I'll be using the AC, and I dont want to shoot myself in the foot yet with AC bills.
No argument about the power savings assuming this doesn't end up being another Skulltrail.

Come fall/winter/spring tho, she'll be going full blast, hoping to keep from running the furnace to the office much. The rest of the rigs are in the rack in my folding room downstairs so they are cool 24/7/365
Well, heat production is both a positive and negative depending where one is located and which season we happen to be in. My experience has been that two systems produce more heat than one does irrespective of number of processors providing all system configs being compared are adequately cooled. What generates a lot of heat is GPU. There's no question that an inordinate amount of heat is produced by video cards tipping the balance in favor of systems with few or no GPU clients. How this affects the folder will depend how one balances their respective budgets in favor of one kind of hardware setup or another. Everyone has their preferences and priorities. I lean towards an overall balance. I realize many are opting to move away from GPU.

But it drastically increases the points production of any enthusiast who would otherwise buy a 980x as their main rig; even at $600, which I don't think is unrealistic, it would completely render the 980x obsolete - more memory (plus better overclocking with more memory) more bandwidth, more cores, potentially the same overclocking potential, at about $300-400 cheaper.
I have a hard time to follow your replies oft times, Pendantic. Not intending to be critical at all; I know you are a very intelligent individual, but I don't see how a dual-processor machine will overclock better than a single socket especially one based on well selected processor/components with excellent cooling setup, etc.

Regardless how well a dual-socket board is designed, manufactured, and blessed with abundant OC features, it is inherently encumbered by virtue of its multiple processor setup. Multiple processors translates to multiple possible things to go wrong, multiple heat buildup, and the highest possible OC is the lowest maximum OC attained by either processor. Meaning, one processor will most likely bring down the highest potential OC possible when each processor is operating alone because not all processors of identical stepping perform equally or have the same potential. The additional heat of two CPUs in proximity further reduces this. I'm taking into consideration typical enthusiast setups based on air cooling not high end alternative cooling methods. SR-2 might alleviate traditional multi-processor constraints elevating OC ceilings, but not all.

I'll be adding around 15k ppd in the next 2 weeks or so. That should bring me to about 75k give or take.

I have a hard time to follow your replies oft times, Pendantic. Not intending to be critical at all; I know you are a very intelligent individual, but I don't see how a dual-processor machine will overclock better than a single socket especially one based on well selected processor/components with excellent cooling setup, etc.

Regardless how well a dual-socket board is designed, manufactured, and blessed with abundant OC features, it is inherently encumbered by virtue of its multiple processor setup. Multiple processors translates to multiple possible things to go wrong, multiple heat buildup, and the highest possible OC is the lowest maximum OC attained by either processor. Meaning, one processor will most likely bring down the highest potential OC possible when each processor is operating alone because not all processors of identical stepping perform equally or have the same potential. The additional heat of two CPUs in proximity further reduces this. I'm taking into consideration typical enthusiast setups based on air cooling not high end alternative cooling methods. SR-2 might alleviate traditional multi-processor constraints elevating OC ceilings, but not all.
I was mostly thinking about the extra memory controller. I kind of forgot about all that stuff... :D

I'm still going to consider a SR-2. I do want to see what it does on old and new SMP -big adv before I buy that beast.

Possible hidden costs:
Possible PSU issues (the thing has more plugs than about any mobo I've seen)
Case issue (the board is huge!)
Water cooling (with OCed chips that close to eachother you will need to get the heat away from them and not blow hot air into the second chip.
N200 chips (power hungry little goblins might jack up power use a ton)

For a dedicated smp rig you only need concern with the dual 8pins, the rest are for people running quad sli or tri sli OC'd

not using a case solves the fan issue, just blow both in the same direction

since I've got the same chips as you come months end when I finish training I'll do a full review, kind of hoping I get to be the first, would be sweet to be the first something here lol

and about the chips, wouldn't they not pull much power since you are only using one pcix slot for display graphics only? (8400 gs in my case)

Well the ? Is do the N200s idle when not in use or do they just suck power no matter what.

Anyone know?

According to Hexus.net its about 6 watts per NF200. See here: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=24747

From the article "Perhaps in an effort to keep costs down, ASUS opted against equipping the board with NVIDIA NF200 bridge chips and a four-way SLI license. The decision makes sense, as very few users are ever going to utilise a four-way GPU configuration, and both the added expense and additional power draw (each NF200 chip eats up around 6W) are essentially drawbacks for 99 per cent of users."

Though I have no idea if they idle when not in use. My guess would be that they don't...

Only 6 watts?! From the size of the heatsync that they always use on the buggers I thought it was way more than that.

Maybe 6 watts is the idle draw...... not that big of a deal then. 12 more watts in a dual OC rig.... won't even notice it for the most part.

Short term(a couple of months time) i am after a new corsair TX950 PSU!! Why - i've got a spare 8800gt that i can't currently run so there is another 5k for us. Later this year i was going for a multi socket -bigadv but until we see the fallout from A3 bigadv that project has gone on hold, its also a bit more than i can afford at the moment as well. I have the necessary clearance from the wife though:D

Personally i will always run a mix of GPU/CPU clients, i had already sunk money into my GPU setup before -bigadv so i will keep that running

Personally i will always run a mix of GPU/CPU clients, i had already sunk money into my GPU setup before -bigadv so i will keep that running
Same here. The slots are there and I don't like to see potential unused. I may reduce my total number of GPU clients eventually, but I'll always run some providing they continue to be worth running. According to Stanford, the science produced from GPU is valuable.

Well, it's not much, but I'm getting a free 9800GTX+ from a buddy for helping him upgrade his system, and my work machine has an open PCI-E slot (plus I already have permission from ISD to fold on my, and ONLY my machine...), so there's an extra 5-6K ppd - will finally put me over 10K ppd, though! Oh, yeah - that will be 3 eVGA cards folding for the [H]orde, heh heh...

Okay, you can return to your regularly scheduled 50K ppd discussions! :D

Well, it's not much, but I'm getting a free 9800GTX+ from a buddy for helping him upgrade his system, and my work machine has an open PCI-E slot (plus I already have permission from ISD to fold on my, and ONLY my machine...), so there's an extra 5-6K ppd - will finally put me over 10K ppd, though! Oh, yeah - that will be 3 eVGA cards folding for the [H]orde, heh heh...

Hey don't discount yourself.

You will be doing more than double the average [H]er. We need as many folders like you as we can get!

Not me, i only produce 5-6k per day for [H] at the moment. One day within the next 18months though i will be in the top 20 PPD chart so be warned:cool:
It does amuse me though that that my 5k comes from an EVGA card :D

Good luck bro, the top 20 is a feeding frenzy lol

lastpush I made had me at 55k ppd and I couldn't top 14th place, and it's not getting any better

I remember when putting out 20k put me up there for a hot minute

5.3 months.. woot woot.. like i said the hype over there at EVGA would eventually die down..

lol Nathan.. all i use are evga cards.. :p

Back