[H] trending up, EVGA trending down

Just had a *major* storm roll through and the power was out for a while. I lost one -bigadv unit that was at 62%, so it could've been worse. Still on a bit of on upswing to help slow down the overtake, though.

I think it's worse for them since we're using their product for points for our team. Haha :D
LOL, never thought of it that way after acquiring three EVGA cards over the past year, but it I like your perspective! :D

Same here.
I think it's worse for them since we're using their product for points for our team. Haha :D
Actually, it's better for them:
1) You're still buying a card from them so they make money.
2) You don't fold for their team so you don't make EVGA bucks, and therefore don't get any discounts from them.

Hey don't discount yourself.

You will be doing more than double the average [H]er. We need as many folders like you as we can get!
Yeah, but I so enjoy the top 20 discussions - it's a small time folder like me's equivalent of staring at the Ferraris through the showroom window before getting back in my Toyota to drive home. Sure, my setup's dependable, but I can still dream of running with the big dogs some day!

Actually, it's better for them:
1) You're still buying a card from them so they make money.
2) You don't fold for their team so you don't make EVGA bucks, and therefore don't get any discounts from them.
1) Fair Point
2) But we're all smart enough to know that places like the Egg are cheaper every day than their store + bonus bucks are... So that joke's on them! :D

5.3 months.. woot woot.. like i said the hype over there at EVGA would eventually die down..

lol Nathan.. all i use are evga cards.. :p

Its getting worse, they have a thread going now wondering what their PPD drop is being caused by:D
EOC now has them at 5.4months and thats without tiger with us. Speaking of which is someone going hunting;)

Link as requested:http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=389854

Last edited:
Its getting worse, they have a thread going now wondering what their PPD drop is being caused by:D
Interesting. I figure the CC conclusion combined with a change in season is contributing to their reduction. Do you have a link to their thread?

EOC now has them at 5.4months and thats without tiger with us. Speaking of which is someone going hunting;)

Link as requested:http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=389854

Wow that many post and they can't figure it out....

evga5-28-10.jpg

And lol at the people in the thread that think it's just folders shutting down because they got their points for the month.

That trend started in the first week of the month.

Fold on [H]orde, we shall prevail!

Last edited:
That is a pretty significant downward trend!!!

But by the looks of it, there was a surge during the CC, but right after it was finished, it continued spiraling downward!!

I knew many of us were right in questioning their longevity and dedication.
After the initial few weeks wears on and you start wondering about monitoring clients for a few measly bucks - I knew the stragglers would start dropping by the wayside. They are hemorrhaging active users.

They may have the dollars but we have the dedication. :) We don't need no stinkin' bucks. :p We fold for the cause!

Like many others have said - they are primarily a gpu team and because of that many are shutting down with summer coming. Most of us have migrated to i7 boxes so we don't need to worry about shutting down half our team PPD due to heat. ;) We may lose some pts when bigadv migrates to a3 and the completion pts drop, but we're still trending up. And we don't even have Tiger right now! They'd be shitting themselves at how far behind they would be if Tiger was still active. :D

Last edited:
Great effort everyone and a round of applause, but let's not get too complacent. Tiger's absence is felt however his contribution was around 250k PPD, while the team PPD deficit is ten times as much. We're also forgetting something crucial and I'm not going to state it publicly.

What he wanted to say isthat were awesome lol

actually, no clue what your going for there bro

anyways, the point is still the same, we need more members and to optimize the ones we already have

I'm wondering if these new clients coming out with poorer scores will hurt evga? I mean, if your in a race for bucks and then after a simple upgrade and you can't hit the cut off anymore, I wonder how many of them will drop out? That's the good thing about us, with no financial incentive to fold, were only out imaginary points, and we fold for a better cause than the points, so I know it won't hit us that hard
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Actually, I wonder how much of their drop might be related to college students going home for the summer. If you live in a residence hall, electricity is pretty much free the the user. It seemed to happen at the beginning of this month, and this is about the time when semester based schools get out for the summer. When you get home, parents might not be so forgiving of running up the electric bill as I bet most of them don't keep up with what folding even is.

Is anyone keeping track of when Tiger will be back? Normally this is a good time for the top producers to get a shot at mowing him, but his points are so high to begin with!

Naw we definitely can't get complacent...full speed ahead no matter what! We gotta get back the cushion we used to have on EVGA. ;)

I may add my GPUs to F@H in the future. They're currently running distributed.net, as I've been running it for a long time (might be over ten years now) due to what I feel is a much better client. When I started running it, I think it was the only DC app that easily ran as a service. It's always been very easy to get it installed and running, and have it work around your existing PC usage.

With my 5870 upgrade, I started getting rather high in the daily top producers. I think I may have been in the teens at one point. Shortly after my upgrade, DNETC@Home, a wrapper between BOINC and distributed.net, was launched. My previously awesome 30,000+ blocks per day is now being eclipsed by people running 14 rigs with multiple HD5800's and producing over 1 million blocks per day. Before the BOINC wrapper, the top producer was around 250,000 blocks/day.

I know I was a big fish in a small pond, but it really hurts psychologically to be close to the top like that, then have a sudden influx of n00bs who just obliterate you by simply having tons of hardware to throw at it. I've always preferred the idea behind F@H, since it seems to be doing a lot more for humanity (especially now that dnetc is into the higher bit encryption), but I just really liked the dnetc client. I would love for an OpenCL version of F@H to come out, which I think should make it easier on the Stanford folks as well as having somewhat standardized performance across the different vendors (i.e. not having one client extremely optimized while the other barely runs). For now I'm going to keep them on dnetc to hit some personal milestones (I'm close to breaking 200th place overall), but I might be moving the GPUs over to F@H if I get fed up with dnetc or if a good F@H client comes out for ATI.

I think a whole host of boinc user with ati gpu in [h] would move over to folding @ home either temporarily or permanently if F@H ever releases a good ati. until then it mostly wasted on folding @ home.

I'm waiting on that new EVGA motherboard to come out. Once that happens I wanna load it up with Tesla cards, and dual Xeons. For [H]!

Oh the irony.

I'm waiting on that new EVGA motherboard to come out. Once that happens I wanna load it up with Tesla cards, and dual Xeons.
I like your spirit but steer clear of the Teslas if you want to fold with GPU. They're way more expensive than the equivalent gaming card and don't produce more PPD. I have yet to see a compelling reason to fold on the them. Best bang for the buck would be something in the GTX200-series or a GX2 if you can find some cheap.

I like your spirit but steer clear of the Teslas if you want to fold with GPU. They're way more expensive than the equivalent gaming card and don't produce more PPD. I have yet to see a compelling reason to fold on the them. Best bang for the buck would be something in the GTX200-series or a GX2 if you can find some cheap.
I bet there are a handful of us here (including me) who could be convinced to unload a 9800gx2 or three

LOL, still chugging on mine until the 19th, then it goes offline for my SR2 build, which should come online a day or two later

Until then, +12k PPD from my fermi at stock, just to help my push to a pimp hat

Almost there....

Anyways, funny read on that page lol

Update on take over time as of the 5/30 9 am update

11.29.10, 8pm / 6.1 Months

Last edited:
6.4 months!!

Come on guys, let's push our ppd up to 5 mil, throw them out till next year, the greatest Christmas gift to the horde!

6.4 months!!

Come on guys, let's push our ppd up to 5 mil, throw them out till next year, the greatest Christmas gift to the horde!

im trying.. im trying.. but im really starting to get sick of the GPU2 client again after using the gpu3 client for about a week..

EVGA or not let's just keep our trend going. BTW that's a nice showing considering it's getting to be summertime.
thumbsup.gif

EVGA or not let's just keep our trend going. BTW that's a nice showing considering it's getting to be summertime.
thumbsup.gif

Past few weeks have been rough on my little engine that could...It feels like 90+ degrees in my apt on some days! She's still chugging at least :p

Just been trawling through some threads over at evga, looks like more than a few of them have given up folding -bigadv due to the lack of A2 WU's, the even better bit of news is that instead of running A3 SMP they are offloading their machines

Just been trawling through some threads over at evga, looks like more than a few of them have given up folding -bigadv due to the lack of A2 WU's, the even better bit of news is that instead of running A3 SMP they are offloading their machines
I had long suspected there were a lot of -bigadv folders over there. The main thing that annoys me about the P2864s is stability, second is the slow speed. If they can be made more stable I wouldn't mind folding them so much. I could understand their frustration to an extent.

I had long suspected there were a lot of -bigadv folders over there. The main thing that annoys me about the P2864s is stability, second is the slow speed. If they can be made more stable I wouldn't mind folding them so much. I could understand their frustration to an extent.

So can I but the the only way to solve the issues that are occurring is to post as much log info as possible over at FF to help PG fix things, Getting p****d off and shutting down/selling off rigs isn't going to help anyone.

sucks to see less science being worked on but as a team aspect im happy as hell to see em fall apart.. been preaching it for months now.. finally good to see it happen..

Hmm.. They got an SR2 running now? Well, fuck them, mine shipped last night, delivery date is 6-7. Too bad I'm stuck in field training until 6-19. I'll get it running asap when I get home, going for the [H]ardest single rig ever here award

too bad I don't have 2500$ to drop on dual hex like he did, but I should atleast get 65-70k out of the chips I got now

sucks to see less science being worked on but as a team aspect im happy as hell to see em fall apart.. been preaching it for months now.. finally good to see it happen..

Now that explaines the user count drop.

Well, even if they're losing members, the overtake is on a trend downwards once more. I think we're going to see large fluctuations from time to time and we also have members that leave. It's harder to recruit in the summer.

Back