GTX 680 specs leaked

• Thread starter Deleted member 82943
  • Start date
Because the embargo date reveals the release date, which is the same day.
Tipping off AMD or their AIB partners could cause them to release OC models early. It would also keep uninformed and potential customers from buying their current GTX 500 stock.

If Sapphire for example knew the release date, to steal sales, they may drop a 1200MHz 7970 6GB for $550 or something.
Timing is everything to maximize profits.

haha a 1.2ghz 7970 with 6gb of vram for 550 would have me forgetting all about kepler

thatd be fine too because a 1.2ghz stock card could probably do 1.4ghz with voltage and with that much vram i wouldn't need cfx for a while

my bad my post was vauge: i meant that with a 1400 mhz core i wouldn't need another card, i was wrong to infer that vram increases with cfx i knew better

How about you take a "chill pill" and stop making inflammatory comments like calling me a "child" when all I have done is pointed out how much BS you guys have been spouting for months now.

First of all, they have not been wrong about anything.
Second of all, you are acting like a child about all of their speculation.

You know, they, like you, have a right to an opinion.
If you don't like it, feel free to not post, it would all save us the trouble of your nonsense and troll-like comments. :rolleyes:

My "problem" is that I find it immensely amusing that cannondale and GoldenTiger like to talk crap about the 7xxx series, yet cant stand it when someone points out how wrong they have been time after time.

How about you take a "chill pill" and stop making inflammatory comments like calling me a "child" when all I have done is pointed out how much BS you guys have been spouting for months now.

You should see Cannondale's posts in the 7870 review.

He says the same thing like 10 times in it...pretty funny someone posted it too.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038461386&postcount=271

Last edited:
No sir, just pointing out, how overboard you can go.
sure I said the nearly same thing 6 times over the course of 14 pages but so what? and pointing it out for who? your buddy darkstarcow already knows I said that. he already thinks anybody saying anything negative about AMD is a fanboi as he calls it.

There is nothing wrong with having an opinion.
cannondale06 knows his shit when it comes to GPUs and gaming and I would trust him before anyone else on this forum, mainly because he has hands-on experience and knows testing methods like the back of his hand.

I don't think he was going overboard in that thread so much as everyone in it was acting pretty thick. :rolleyes:

When one can't get their point across, they tend to repeat it in a similar fashion.
I do the same thing when people aren't getting the point.

I guess the majority of the people in that thread just needed to be told as many times as it took, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Dunno about him being right over everyone else. It's just his opinion.

And sometimes he is wrong

well I did sound like a broken record but my replies were usually to different people so saying the similar thing 6 or 7 times over the course of 14 pages is hardly unusual. and what I was saying in that thread was mostly factual and not just my opinion. anyway there is no reason to bring all that up here in this thread.

680 vs 7970 for me will come down to who has the most vram. Since the performance and price will be the same....

Nvidia having a slower card for the same price is an epic fail.
where has anybody said slower? there is probably no chance that Nvidia will release a card at 7970 prices that does not match or beat it. Nvidia has more pricing flexibility with this little GK104 than they would with one of their larger dies.

On another note, doesn't seem to be many people that are actually involved with the process of building these things posting in this thread. Hrm, I wonder... ;)

Hopefully they are all busy building them, and not dicking around in here.

Now THAT's hilarious! You "da shit" for posting that :D

On another note, doesn't seem to be many people that are actually involved with the process of building these things posting in this thread. Hrm, I wonder... ;)
yeah that is real hilarious being a jerk just because someone posted a similar comment 6 times in 14 pages. :rolleyes:

It's probably a bad idea, but I'm going to give this thread a shot and let it continue. If you have a negative comment about another member on this board, keep it to yourself. If you want to discuss the merits of their argument that's great, but when you start tossing around names like idiot/child/fanboy/etc...you've crossed the line.

In the past when we've had a big pending release we've had to just start instantly temp-banning people for off-topic and trolling posts to keep the forums usable for the majority of members, but I really don't want to do that. I like having this community as active and discussion filled as possible, that's what keeps it fun and informative, but if you're going to ruin the experience of other people you are just flat out not welcome here.

Please stay on-topic and avoid insulting other people.

Thanks Oldie!

So to summarize the rumors: GK104 ~ +/- = 7970 in performance, = 7970 in price, > 7970 in perf/Watt.

The only thing left is how overclockable it is. We shall see...

A few years from now, the first 28nm generation will be seen as a dark time in GPU history. Mark my words :)

Last edited:
"It is a dark time for the Rebellion. Games are packed with stunning visuals, and new cards have become more powerful than we could possibly imagine. How will we endure the suffering? Stay tuned for episode XXX..."

Last edited:
"It is a dark time for the Rebellion. Games are packed with stunning visuals, and new cards have become more powerful than we could possibly imagine. How will we endure the suffering? Stay tuned for episode XXX..."
Get back to me when I can run fluidly run BF3 at 7680x1440 on a single card :p

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26295-nvidia-gtx-680-to-go-against-hd-7970

Epic fail from nvidia. $550 for a gtx 680 and performance similar to a 7970. Glad I got a 7970 last weekend. Just terrible.

Thanks for posting that. As it's not an official review and they don't actually have their hands on a card, I'll take it with a grain of salt, but I don't exactly understand your viewpoint.

I've been on the "red team" for the last couple iterations (release 6950 cfx and now 7970), but I will buy anything that meets my needs and gives me the best performance/dollar, and to me, if that article is accurate, the situation is:

FACTS (again, assuming the article - and others - is correct):
1. 680 performance ~ 7970 performance (actually the article seems to favor the 680, saying "Overall it should win most DirectX 11 benchmarks, at least that is what we are hearing.")
2. 680 TDP < 7970 TDP
3. 680 Price = 7970 Price
4. (If previous SLI output config hasn't been altered). 680 SLI will have more output options than 7970 CFX since you can typically use display outputs from BOTH cards, and it seems that now the 680 will reach single (reference) card display parity with the AMD cards (4 outputs).

CONJECTURE (based on anecdotal evidence and general majority opinion):
1. Driver situation could favor Nvidia, especially for SLI setups. Anecdotally less microstutter issues with SLI setups on account of more stringent setup (identical card) requirements. That AMD still doesn't have a decent CFX driver solution at this point is simply inexcusable.
2. Some may see benefit from physx, but this would receive very little weight in any analysis of alternatives I would conduct.

Overall, I can see how some might consider the 680 a "fail" on Nvidias part because it essentially took them 2-3 months just to bring out an also-ran, but looking at the above considerations with an impartial eye, I could really go either way, and I continue to consider a pair of 680s while I can make decent money on my 7970 if sold.

What will be crazy is the price of the high end card down the road! Or a dual GPU version of the high end. SCARY for the wallet.

This whole generation, nVidia or AMD alike, will probably be scary for the wallet.

FACTS (again, assuming the article - and others - is correct):
1. 680 performance ~ 7970 performance (actually the article seems to favor the 680, saying "Overall it should win most DirectX 11 benchmarks, at least that is what we are hearing.")

7970 has more memory. This may become important.

2. 680 TDP < 7970 TDP

I wonder how that's figured? Remember that the 7970 has the power-saving state when in 2D mode and cards other than the primary switch themselves off in 2D mode.

CONJECTURE (based on anecdotal evidence and general majority opinion):
1. Driver situation could favor Nvidia, especially for SLI setups. Anecdotally less microstutter issues with SLI setups on account of more stringent setup (identical card) requirements. That AMD still doesn't have a decent CFX driver solution at this point is simply inexcusable.

One thing I've learned from [H] is that you really need 3 cards for SLI and Crossfire to prevent micro-stuttering.

Me, I'm wondering how the woes at TMSC are going to affect both players in the short term, and how the price war afterwards will affect when I buy.

7970 has more memory. This may become important.

Good point, I had heard that they were going to be a wash. This will probably play into my decision as well, as I'm primarily concerned with multi-monitor setup.

I wonder how that's figured? Remember that the 7970 has the power-saving state when in 2D mode and cards other than the primary switch themselves off in 2D mode.

The primary indicator to me was the 2 6pin PCI-E power inputs for the 680 (if the images weren't fakes or something). Add to that the fairly consistent rumors that TDP was on the order of 200W, and that's the conclusion I'm arriving at. I guess if you wanted to get technical, it's really still conjecture until formal specs are announced. Point taken re: low power state as a factor on the 7970, but with a two card setup the second one never shut down for me (maybe a driver issue). Also, IMO TDP is more of a concern for me anyway, since that's really what's going to drive my build spec (water cooling rad/pump/fans, PSU, etc), not 5-10W of difference at idle.

One thing I've learned from [H] is that you really need 3 cards for SLI and Crossfire to prevent micro-stuttering.

I read an article about that on Toms, but the same article did mention the small edge Nvidia has with respect to MS:

"At first glance, it seems that the Nvidia cards don't scale as well in SLI. However, micro-stuttering is less pronounced as well compared to the CrossFire-based rig."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995-5.html

Last edited:

2x6-pins versus 1x6 and 1x8 on the 7970.

Plus, the 680 supposedly has some new "hot clock" stuff that scales clock speeds based on need, as well, so presumably that will allow for power savings as well.

They're wrong: http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516 read and learn :).

http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516/11, http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516/6 nVidia handles it better than AMD.

Tri-CF or Tri-SLI just makes more frames which of course naturally lowers the timespan an uneven set of frames can occur in. It doesn't do anything else on its own, nor does it prevent it.

They're wrong: http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516 read and learn :).

http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516/11, http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516/6 nVidia handles it better than AMD.

Tri-CF or Tri-SLI just makes more frames which of course naturally lowers the timespan an uneven set of frames can occur in. It doesn't do anything else on its own, nor does it prevent it.

where does the article state that :)? infact the page you linked says this...
Here's one reason why I wanted to press on with our look at frame time data. I believe the issue we're seeing here is largely independent of the micro-stuttering problem. If you look back at the individual frame time plots over the span of a whole test run, you can see the trend clearly. The multi-GPU solutions just tend to run into especially long frame latencies more often than the single-GPU offerings. There is some overhead associated with keeping two GPUs fed and synchronized in the same system, and it seems to lead to occasional trouble&#8212;in the form of frame times over our 50-ms threshold

Anyhoo, it also says that NV is looking into providing an API for 3rd parties like fraps to give them the ability to measure display latency and MS.

where does the article state that :)? infact the page you linked says this...

Anyhoo, it also says that NV is looking into providing an API for 3rd parties like fraps to give them the ability to measure display latency and MS.

Read the whole article rather than one random paragraph. Both the text and tests show it: http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516/9 (look at the SLI section here for instance vs. CF).

The paragraph you quoted is in relation to uneven frame times on single GPU solutions.

Read the whole article rather than one random paragraph. Both the text and tests show it: http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516/9 (look at the SLI section here for instance vs. CF).

The paragraph you quoted is in relation to uneven frame times on single GPU solutions.

No, the part I quoted was referring to an issue that is showing up in multi-gpu and not so much in single gpu.

maybe you should read the article? the page you quoted again, doesn't show SLI as any smoother than CFX, it does show amd having a problem in both Single and Multi-GPU For SC2 with a 3-4 frame "bounce" or "jitter" funny, even the reviewer claims not to know what's going on, but you seem to :)

Well, that was unexpected. Look at the results for the fastest single-GPU cards, like the Radeon HD 6970 and the GeForce GTX 580. Why do those appear to have a bunch of jitter in them? Hmm.
The SLI configs don't appear to be affected by the same brand of variance we saw in the single-GPU GTX 580 results. Instead, they show a small to moderate amount of garden-variety multi-GPU jitter. The CrossFireX configs, though, have that same regular three- to four-frame bounce we saw from a single 6970. I wish I could tell you more about what's happening here, but it's tough to say.

Back