Grim Dawn Alpha starts tomorrow

Excited to see some screenies as well. I'm a backer but opted for a 2x pack for myself + brother/cousin. Until then...paaaaaath.

Got too excited, just supported them and got an alpha invite.

Going live on a livestream in about 60 seconds for anyone that's interested. I will be able to read the stream chat if anyone has questions.

Edit: http://www.twitch.tv/shantarr

Last edited:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/newvl0xt2yqypds/WcEghTRAhv

Here are a few quick images to give you a taste ... hope the link works ... I was having problems posting the pictures where they showed in the message ... all the screenshots are 2560x1440 bmp files

Looks awesome. You can tell they are using the Titan Quest engine. Which is fine, its a good engine for these types of games. Thanks for posting pics. I like the atmosphere. This is what a certain ARPG should have looked like. :cool:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/newvl0xt2yqypds/WcEghTRAhv

Here are a few quick images to give you a taste ... hope the link works ... I was having problems posting the pictures where they showed in the message ... all the screenshots are 2560x1440 bmp files
Thanks man. Graphics looks fine to me even by today's standard.

Stream offline, friend signed on to play ARMA 3. :p

I'll notify when I bring it back up later tonight!

What's your channel link? Would love to watch some gameplay :p
Also, are previous stream available for viewing? I've seen people linking to video from previous streams on twitch but I'm not sure if twitch does it automatically for everyone or not.

http://youtu.be/ENl0zzVAgik ... here is some playthrough ... unfortunately the video quality isn't very good ... I am still figuring out this whole recording business ... I will try the full frame setting and see if I can upload the avi file directly without mp4 conversion ... but at least this should give a taste of the gameplay to anyone interested

I am not having much luck recording at 2560x1440 with the MSI program so I might have to wait until later in the summer for high res videos (I can afford to buy FRAPS at the end of June after I get past my vacation and FRAPS should handle high resolution recording ... although it might put more of a strain on my Core 2 computer :eek: )

Last edited:
How;'s balance - there was an 18 minute video on youtube (from the start) and the game looked really good 'cept that it might have beena bit easy (of course titan quest starts out easy too). I'm really getting good vibes from waht I've seen. The only thing (and this is also true of titan quest) is I wish there was a bit more focus on puzzles as the game progress (I made this suggestion to them a couple of years ago when they started grim dawn but they said it wasn't their focus). Still we can hope :)

I still play TQ regularly with the Soulvizer mod but there are three things that really irk me with the TQ engine that I want to know if they've fixed.

1. Delay time from when you click a new location and when your character starts moving. Makes melee feel extremely floaty because there's "inertia" on your character. EDIT: From watching brickley's video it looks like this has been fixed.

2. No NPC's have collision. You can walk through any amount of enemies by attempting to click on the other side of them and they 'shift' out of the way. Compounds with issue #1.

3. Random ability cast times. Currently you can cast the same ability 10 times and about 2/10 times the cast will take significantly longer than the others, and as a result I'll attempt to move afterwards using the same delay as the others and it'll cancel the ability. All of the mods are supposed to include a 'cast fix' but it seems to remain regardless.

All this being said, I've spent significantly more time playing TQ than any other ARPG. Are the maps pre-defined or are they randomly generated this time?

How;'s balance - there was an 18 minute video on youtube (from the start) and the game looked really good 'cept that it might have beena bit easy (of course titan quest starts out easy too). I'm really getting good vibes from waht I've seen. The only thing (and this is also true of titan quest) is I wish there was a bit more focus on puzzles as the game progress (I made this suggestion to them a couple of years ago when they started grim dawn but they said it wasn't their focus). Still we can hope :)

I haven't tried all the classes yet but you can definitely die if you aren't careful ... since this is only the alpha it is hard to judge how easy or hard the final version will be ... I suspect it will change frequently over the next months as they get nearer launch ... they definitely have lots of monsters so it is easy to get swarmed ... through next week and the long memorial day weekend I will try and play into the later areas (right now I keep experiencing a crash in the sewers before I complete that quest)

For anyone trying to judge the performance I am playing the game at 2560x1440 with a GTX670/Core 2 (3 GHz processor) ... I have all the textures and graphics turned to very high (although you can't judge that from the lower resolution youtube video) and I have the AA disabled

Last edited:
Thanks man. Graphics looks fine to me even by today's standard.

What's your channel link? Would love to watch some gameplay :p
Also, are previous stream available for viewing? I've seen people linking to video from previous streams on twitch but I'm not sure if twitch does it automatically for everyone or not.

http://www.twitch.tv/shantarr

I'm about to head out to an appointment but in my historical videos folder my initial stream was in there for it.

:)

EDIT: Here is a direct link to the play through - http://www.twitch.tv/shantarr/b/404806936

So they make it a zombie game and they STILL go with god damn swords and crap.

Why can't someone just make this game with guns instead of the same old shit?

Do you have to complain about every non-D3 ARPG? Genuinely curious here. Does it make your colossal and unmitigated waste of time in D3 feel less painful if you can convince yourself that, despite its total failure as a game, D3 is still the best ARPG ever?

Do you have to complain about every non-D3 ARPG? Genuinely curious here. Does it make your colossal and unmitigated waste of time in D3 feel less painful if you can convince yourself that, despite its total failure as a game, D3 is still the best ARPG ever?

Wait. Someone thought D3 was good? Jay Wilson is that you?

I don't think it would be fair to make any comparisons at this point between Grim Dawn vs. ANY game.

it's in ALPHA stage. PoE had some very unique things and I LOVE the crafting system. it really gets you hooked and they've got a great balance of making you "hope" just a few more fusings will get you that 5-6 link item.

The crafting in Grim Dawn Alpha is non-existent as they've stated. The most I've been able to do is stack furs and then add them to an item to give it +80 health. There's other items that give resists, etc.
But its not a recipe or gambling system.

I don't think it would be fair to make any comparisons at this point between Grim Dawn vs. ANY game.

it's in ALPHA stage. PoE had some very unique things and I LOVE the crafting system. it really gets you hooked and they've got a great balance of making you "hope" just a few more fusings will get you that 5-6 link item.

The crafting in Grim Dawn Alpha is non-existent as they've stated. The most I've been able to do is stack furs and then add them to an item to give it +80 health. There's other items that give resists, etc.
But its not a recipe or gambling system.

Pretty similar to TQ in that respect. It's not a bad system by any means, but definitely not on par with what I'm currently used to. It will be more accepted by those that really hate RNG.

I assume the full release is going to be longer than the Alpha content?

anyone know max level yet?

I assume the full release is going to be longer than the Alpha content?

anyone know max level yet?

The Alpha is supposed to be about the first 1/3 of the game ... Titan Quest was 65 max, raised to 75 in the expansion ... since this is the same engine and programmers I would expect something similar unless the beta testing requires something else ;)

I think the maximum level in the alpha is 25 (but I am not that high yet) ... the game lets you multiclass at level 10 (just like TQ did also)

The Alpha is supposed to be about the first 1/3 of the game ... Titan Quest was 65 max, raised to 75 in the expansion ... since this is the same engine and programmers I would expect something similar unless the beta testing requires something else ;)

I think the maximum level in the alpha is 25 (but I am not that high yet) ... the game lets you multiclass at level 10 (just like TQ did also)

They stated a while back that GD wouldn't be nearly as big as TQ. So, that's not going to be a fair estimation.

I played the alpha briefly the other day, its still pretty rough at this point, so its hard to be too judgmental just yet. The TQ engine is really starting to show its age though, especially when compared to PoE (and to a lesser extent D3), I hope they can tweak it a little more between now and release.

how get key now?

The only way to get a key as of this moment would be to preorder the game through their site ... http://www.grimdawn.com/contribute_buynow01.php ... the lowest tier that would give you access to the alpha (currently in progress) is the $50 tier ... the $35 tier will give you access to the beta (later this summer probably) ... otherwise you could wait and they may have some public betas in the late summer or early fall ... their planned release date was October (they seem to be on track for that but you never know ... too early in the testing)

Friends and I just started up Titan Quest the last few nights. I see no commotion at all in this thread regarding Grim Dawn, but it has all of my attention and my friends that I play with.

Queue discussion? How has everyone's alpha experience been?

Friends and I just started up Titan Quest the last few nights. I see no commotion at all in this thread regarding Grim Dawn, but it has all of my attention and my friends that I play with.

Queue discussion? How has everyone's alpha experience been?

I played some earlier in the summer and enjoyed it and then got distracted ... they just released a big patch last week so I need to dive into it again

I played some earlier in the summer and enjoyed it and then got distracted ... they just released a big patch last week so I need to dive into it again

Ditto. I'm the worst alpha/beta tester. I barely have enough time for playing, let alone testing.
I loaded it up and played up to level 10 when it was first released, but haven't played all summer.

I will have more time once I get the shingles fixed and the house painted. Having a wife & kids takes priority.

I'd like to see some more screen shots. Alpha is a little too jumpy for me at a $50 price point. I hope they can deliver another great ARPG, I really like TQ.

I'd like to see some more screen shots. Alpha is a little too jumpy for me at a $50 price point. I hope they can deliver another great ARPG, I really like TQ.

I'll try and play this weekend and grab a few screen shots for you ... anything in particular you are interested in seeing ... spell effects ... combat ... etc?

It looks good, and keeps looking better. But, I'm not participating in the Alpha, I just don't have the time to be a good tester at this point.

Waiting on the beta here, if the alpha really is a true alpha, probably not worth bothering with yet.

I read through some developer posts on the forums. Really some honest people there, I look forward to the beta. I will jump on it during the beta.

With my money put towards Star Citizen, I can't justify another $50 to something else.

Sorry, I had to prep for a job interview this weekend ... I will get some play time next weekend and post some screenshots then ... sorry for the delay ... as the old saying goes, "Life Happens" :cool:

Grim Dawn is now open to beta access folks also ... http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10079

As we mentioned in previous updates, due to changes in our development schedule, we've planned to open up access in th fall to backers with early access, including Pioneer, Epic and other equivalent tiers from KS. Well, the time has come and we've asked Humble Store to distribute Steam keys to everyone with that access level so that they can join in testing Grim Dawn and exploring the ever-growing game as it unfolds.

I finished all my interviews for the other job (got it, start my new job on Nov 4) so I will try and get some playtime this weekend and next to post some screenshots finally :cool:

Back