Grim Dawn Alpha starts tomorrow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSRzBKyHK3M

This game looks friggin epic just love the atmosphere and graphics ( I guess the music is awesome too) I wish it had more of a RPG build up to the fights then the titan quest model. I didn't play much of Titan quest in 2006 cause it gave me bad eyestrain. This looks a lot like how people really got into the original diablo but looks really nice the fact that you still level up is great.

They have the alpha on Steam but I won't try it until the final

Im kinda enticed enough to maybe pick it up later.

I've been looking forward to this one for a while BUT I'll be damned if I buy in for early access again....

(Castle Story left a bad taste in my mouth)

Titan's Quest is one of my favorites of all time it's right up there with D2 so I'm sure I would like it, I like the theme too. I'm too addicted to PoE right now to even think about playing another game. It's going to be wierd playing a game where the drops are so good you don't have to worry about having to trade to progress. That is if they keep the drops the same as TQ.

If you already prepurchased the game I believe there is a way (on humble bundle) to upgrade to early access.

I've been looking forward to this one for a while BUT I'll be damned if I buy in for early access again....

(Castle Story left a bad taste in my mouth)

They just posted the soundtrack in the Humble store for the prepurchasers who supported the project at the level that gave a free soundtrack ... enjoying listening to the soundtrack ... very well done ... reminds me of the original D2 soundtrack ... a nice addition to my game soundtrack collection :)

Hmm...I think I only Kickstarted for final game access, so I guess I still have to wait for them to complete it.

Have they said when they expect it to be completed? I notice on KS the expected date is August 2013 but obviously we have far surpassed that.

Hmm...I think I only Kickstarted for final game access, so I guess I still have to wait for them to complete it.

Have they said when they expect it to be completed? I notice on KS the expected date is August 2013 but obviously we have far surpassed that.

They haven't given an exact date yet ... they are going to announce more info on Act 2 this week ... they are planning 3 acts total I think ... so we are likely looking at late this year or early next year ... they are a very small team so they aren't moving as fast as the projects from the bigger developers like inxile and obsidian

You should have beta access on Steam. I pledged @ the $18 tier and got my key at Christmas. Try using Humble store key resender

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/keyresender

Haven't gotten a chance to play too much of this yet, but the game LOOKS phenomenal, graphically. Probably one of the best I've seen aRPG wise.

Haven't gotten a chance to play too much of this yet, but the game LOOKS phenomenal, graphically. Probably one of the best I've seen aRPG wise.

That's good to hear I didn't think it would be anything special since I heard that they used the same engine as TQ.

TQ was ahead of its time graphically (at least compared to its competitors). It still looks decent even to this day if you ignore the UI. Certainly better than TL/2 and subjectively better than D3.

I still remember when I downloaded the demo years ago my poor computer at the time couldn't render the flowing grass without dropping to 6 fps.

I had completely forgotten about Grim Dawn, heard about it like a year ago, it looks like it's coming along amazingly!

I played yesterday for about 8 hours, damn is it addicting! The game looks great, sounds great, and plays great. I like how they have the loot balanced, while their is a decent amount of it, I find myself actually agonizing over what items to upgrade.

Debating whether to play my copy or wait for the full game. Looks good.

One thing to keep in mind is that you DO get to keep all your characters and gear when the full game is released, so it's not like everything is going to get wiped. I've been enjoying playing with different builds and getting quite the collection of rares. They just released Act 2 with a level cap of 35, so there's a decent amount of content (much moreso if you like trying different builds/farming gear for those builds, etc.).

Great game, though, and just getting better.

Grim Dawn is on sale today for 33% off on Steam ... it has been a decent game to play during development and at $20 it is a steal in my opinion ... if you have been on the fence about buying or playing this could be your tipping point :)

Last edited:
Any idea if that's today only? Waiting on some paychecks to come in :-O

Any idea if that's today only? Waiting on some paychecks to come in :-O

The deal definitely ends tomorrow but since the game is still in development there will be future sales I am sure ... they just released Act 2 of 3 last month and we are likely looking at an end of the year completion date ... also, there might be a Spring Steam sale later in the month as well as their famous Summer sale for later opportunities

Yeah, I may bite, not sure yet. I feel the same way I do about this game as I do Wasteland and a few other titles. I'm not sure I want to spend the money yet to play through 1/2 or 2/3 of the game and then potentially start all over again when the release the next part. I know some people are totally cool with this but I haven't decided if early access is really for me (in terms of RPG type games). MP shooters are a different story, they are easier to deal with in early access with no storylines etc.

Yeah, I may bite, not sure yet. I feel the same way I do about this game as I do Wasteland and a few other titles. I'm not sure I want to spend the money yet to play through 1/2 or 2/3 of the game and then potentially start all over again when the release the next part. I know some people are totally cool with this but I haven't decided if early access is really for me (in terms of RPG type games). MP shooters are a different story, they are easier to deal with in early access with no storylines etc.

I think this model works better for ARPGs like Grim Dawn (in the Diablo vein) since those types of games were all about the replay and grinding anyway ... Full RPGs like Wasteland and Pillars of Eternity are a bit trickier since they didn't necessitate the replay and grinding of the ARPGs and were more about the story and characters

I think this model works better for ARPGs like Grim Dawn (in the Diablo vein) since those types of games were all about the replay and grinding anyway ... Full RPGs like Wasteland and Pillars of Eternity are a bit trickier since they didn't necessitate the replay and grinding of the ARPGs and were more about the story and characters

Yeah that's true, you're probably right. I may give it a go if not just for the discounted price. Game looks great, at the very least I can mess around in it until Reaper of Souls and then steamroll that and come back to GD when I'm done.

Have they provided any sort of estimate on act 3 or the final release ? I know they are like 3 years behind schecud but maybe ....

Nice. I bought the loyalist edition over a year ago, but I've been resisting the urge to play so I don't burn myself out before its finished (like I did with PoE). I've fired it up a couple times just to see how its coming along, its looking better all the time.

I am trying not to play it as well. I dropped in a little bit ago to check it out, was satisfied then uninstalled to try to stop myself from playing it to death.

Started playing this again this week and got my first look at late act 1/act 2. Game looks fantastic and is very addicting. I gave them money way back even before the kickstarter, in the hope that I would eventually get a sequel to Titan Quest. I remember not being very optimistic, but the game now has exceeded my expectations. I really want them to finish it, soon, and maybe add 2 or 3 more classes.

The multiplayer is awesome! Shared exp from quests. No lag whatsoever when my buddy from West Virginia hosted a game and I joined from North Carolina. I'm loving it!

I had been holding off on playing this game for a long time. I supported them pretty early knowing that they had previously worked on Titan Quest. I finally snapped and began playing; this is what an ARPG should be. Torchlight 2 missed it's mark, Diablo 3 missed it's mark, Path of Exile is pretty damn close except for the desync issues that cannot be avoided.
Grim Dawn brings the atmosphere, creative skill design and the feeling of impact that an ARPG should have. I cannot wait for it to be finished.

I was a huge Diablo 2 fan that was sorely disappointed with what Blizzard and Jay Wilson did to Diablo 3. I picked up GD a couple weeks ago and started playing it last weekend. I am having fun and I am impressed with the polish of this game that is still pre-beta. It is a great hack and slash RPG and has more of the feel of D2 than D3 did at initial release. Plus there is multi-player and trading. This might be the best $25 that I have spent on a game in many years.

This is pretty much all I'm playing ATM.

Just picked it up 2 weeks ago and am VERY impressed.

Even in alpha, it trumps D3 and Torchlight 2 easy....

Back