Grim Dawn Alpha starts tomorrow

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Hardware' started by kbrickley, May 14, 2013.

1. kbrickley

kbrickley [H]ardForum Junkie

Grim Dawn Alpha starts tomorrow ... I am going to try and set up my key in the humble store to be ready ... now I know what I will be doing this weekend ... anybody else doing the Alpha :D

2. Shantarr.Dalrae

Shantarr.Dalrae [H]ard|Gawd

I wasn't planning on it but now... TEMPTED

3. amarvin125

amarvin125 Limp Gawd

4. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

So they claim that you can go to the Humble Bundle store to get your Steam key, yet when I go there I still only see that extremely long key they sent out a long time ago. :confused:

5. mtbush

mtbush 2[H]4U

That's the final access key. At what tier did you pledge during the Kickstarter campaign? Only the $35 tier and above get early access.

6. J Macker

J Macker [H]ardForum Junkie

is it weird that this seems appealing to me?

My backlog has increased with the following games in the past month:
    Tomb Raider
    Crysis 3
    Bioshock Infinite
    FC3 Blood Dragon

and yet, I want to play the Grim Dawn alpha!

Oh that's right, I also spent a ton of money on Path of Exile and haven't touched it for 2 months. So sad.

7. kbrickley

Mine showed up okay ... as others have mentioned you might check to make sure you are at one of the alpha tiers ... it doesn't appear as if they have the file released for download yet and it doesn't activate for testing until tomorrow anyway ... if you are supposed to have one just send them a message ... seems like they are having a few problems with the communication anyway ... really looking forward to trying this out tomorrow :D

8. LeninGHOLA

LeninGHOLA Vladimir Hayt

I'm going to skip Alpha and wait for Beta. I have too many Alphas and Betas going on right now. That said, I'm really looking forward to this one.

9. LeninGHOLA

LeninGHOLA Vladimir Hayt

Bum. Where you been?

10. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

Honestly I don't remember, but you guys might be right...maybe I only paid for Beta/Final or something. Will have to check Kickstarter.

11. kbrickley

Actually if the game shows up on the humble bundle site for you then it should list all the items you have at your level ... unless they assigned you the wrong level ;)

12. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

Yeah I think I only put in for the $18 level so no Alpha for me! Oh well.

13. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

ALRIGHT!!!

Been waiting for this one!

14. wabbitseason

wabbitseason [H]ard|Gawd

Looking forward to this.

15. B2BigAl

B2BigAl 2[H]4U

Oh snap! I've been waiting for this, how did you find out? I bought the loyalist edition (or whatever the highest tier pre-order was called) probably a year ago, but I haven't got an email or anything about it yet. I don't really want to play the alpha, but I'd like to at least see how the game is coming along.

16. LeninGHOLA

LeninGHOLA Vladimir Hayt

Twitter update.

17. kbrickley

I am on the Kickstarter updates ... they sent out the update this afternoon ... if you check the forums on their site they have a posting with all the details there also

anyone who purchased an alpha level through the humble store should already have the key information on their account ... for the legacy people who bought it through the developer or through Kickstarter, we just have to create a humble store account using the same email we purchased the game with ... there is a button to restore previous purchases once your account is set up ... you should then see the Grim Dawn package you purchased on your account and you can click into it to get your keys ... should be fun to compare notes starting tomorrow :D

18. DPI

DPI [H]ardForum Junkie

So... Yet Another Diablo Clone? Diablo/WoW hybrid? Am I missing something? Didn't seem like much more based on what I've seen. Environments look interesting though

19. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

Wasn't that kickstarted? FAKE.

Psshh when he gets it it'll be hilarious.

20. pigwalk

pigwalk [H]ardForum Junkie

Grim Dawn = Titan Quest 2?

21. wabbitseason

wabbitseason [H]ard|Gawd

You're thinking of Diablo 3. Though it would hardly be fair to Diablos I&II to call that piece of trash a Diablo clone.

22. Hornet

Hornet [H]ardness Supreme

I don't think it's fair to call all ARPG a Diablo clone. :p It ARPG so there will be similarities with other ARPG such as Diablo and Titan Quest. But it's not the usual mythological setting though.

23. DeathPrincess

DeathPrincess Pick your own.....you deserve it.

It's made by pretty much the same people (some of the people from Iron Lore made Crate Entertainment), apparently running on the same engine (though it looks updated) but the plots have nothing to do with each other (I don't think). :D

24. Krenum

Pretty much. Most of the Iron Lore guys have worked on it. I'm not sure if it deals why Greek Mythology though.

25. Krenum

No, its a Titan Quest clone, made by the same people who made Titan Quest. :p

26. Gmok Bonecrusha

Gmok Bonecrusha [H]ard|Gawd

Looks pretty good. The sound quality is top notch.

27. Syntaxx

Syntaxx [H]ard|Gawd

i want to get into hearthstone beta. willing to pay at this point sigh.

28. kbrickley

The graphics aren't too bad (although it is a little hard to see on the other side of buildings) ... the water effects are really nice though ... I just played a little at lunch ... I will try and get some more time in tonight but it probably won't be until the weekend until I can devote some serious time to this

I got my character up to level 3 really fast ... looks like we have three classes for the alpha (not sure how many they will have for launch) ... it is nice to have zombie ARPG ... surprised no one has attempted this before ... I'm not used to doing in game screenshots but I will see if I can figure that out and post some on the weekend :)

29. J Macker

J Macker [H]ardForum Junkie

I played it a little last night. So far, so good.
    I'm curious how and what they will be doing for crafting.

I didn't have much time to read & research. I just started exploring. I killed the big zombie boss in the cave and stopped after that. I think I hit level 5

I have 7950 crossfire and 2560x1440, and the game is choppy. I'm not sure if it's the crossfire or some setting. I expect nearly every game to be smooth with crossfire 7950's.

30. pigwalk

pigwalk [H]ardForum Junkie

So..... Is it better than Titan Quest or not?

Because Diablo 3 sure as balls wasn't.

31. kbrickley

Well it is only in Alpha so it is hard to judge the final product yet but I am finding it as enjoyable as TQ ... it uses the same style skill tree (there are currently three classes) and you put points in both the individual skills and the class tree ... I suspect they will add more classes and tweak skills as we move through the Alpha and Beta ... since it uses the same engine as TQ it has many of the same mechanics ... plus there is just something fundamentally satisfying about killing Zombies in an ARPG :cool:

32. mtbush

mtbush 2[H]4U

Is there an alpha NDA?

If not, would someone be willing to put up a gameplay video?

33. big_aug

big_aug [H]ard|Gawd

So they make it a zombie game and they STILL go with god damn swords and crap.

Why can't someone just make this game with guns instead of the same old shit?

34. LeninGHOLA

LeninGHOLA Vladimir Hayt

There are guns in Grim Dawn.

35. Rizen

Rizen [H]ardForum Junkie

36. big_aug

big_aug [H]ard|Gawd

There are guns in WOW too :rolleyes:

37. kbrickley

No NDA but I haven't tried game recordings or screenshots before ... any recommendations on programs to do this ... preferably free ones ... I am trying to keep my budget down until after my vacation :cool:

38. LeninGHOLA

LeninGHOLA Vladimir Hayt

Swell. So now what?

39. DeathPrincess

DeathPrincess Pick your own.....you deserve it.

MSI afterburner does this and is free. You don't have to have an MSI card either for it to work. :D

40. kbrickley

Seems to work ... Thanks Death, or would that be Ms Princess :D ... I should get some time with the game this weekend I will take a few screenshots and try a video or two for anyone interested :cool: