Grand Theft Auto V

Yea, GTA Online is a disappointment. APB: Reloaded has it's own glaring problems but somehow manages to be more fun than GTA Online which is not something I expected. I think Free Roam would be fun if you didn't have those lame circles showing where everyone was.

I've never been a fan of adaptive vsync. Seems like if there's ever a situation when I need it, I'm always hovering in the lower FPS areas and getting tearing anyway. For me it's either the real thing (hopefully with triple buffering) or I'll just deal with lower FPS.

Judging from my experience..

4GB easy.. I usually top out (depending on the situation) at 3.7GB of VRAM use at 1080p

Are you maxing everything out?

Messing around here I can see that you would definitely hit at least 4GB to max this thing out at 1080p.

I'm at 1200p (close enough) and I'm running some fairly nice settings and I'm at 3040/3071 or whatever it is and I had to really dial that in carefully and with some judicious experimenting. ;)

You're on a 980 and I'm on a 780 so I'm a little bit behind you.

I'm going to switch off of Nvidia's shadows to Rockstar's per the H recommendation. May as well at that rate. Get an easy performance boost and get something that looks at least as good or arguably even better going by that piece.

Are you maxing everything out?

I'm at 1200p (close enough) and I'm running some fairly nice settings and I'm at 3040/3071 or whatever it is and I had to really dial that in carefully and with some judicious experimenting. ;)

You're on a 980 and I'm on a 780 so I'm a little bit behind you.

I'm going to switch off of Nvidia's shadows to Rockstar's per the H recommendation. May as well at that rate. Get an easy performance boost and get something that looks at least as good or arguably even better going by that piece.

Maxing out most... 2x MSAA, Tess normal, AO off. No MSAA reflection. The rest of the graphics options are maxed though and only bumped up terrain distance by 2 notches and use only detailed streaming in the advanced options.

1080P (resized SS for thread sanity sakes) / 3.6GB VRAM being eaten up..

17007141687_c69ddbc4db_b.jpg

17214571625_3544594320_o.png

Last edited:
Found this on Reddit to help with GTAO load times a little bit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftA..._all_of_you_guys_who_are_still_playing_grand/

Always launch into SP mode.
It has always been like that, it's faster to go from Start -> SP -> MP than it is to Start -> MP.

Always play in a invite only session or friends only session
You'll probably say, "but muh killings", yeah your killings, but even though you'll be alone like a rat in the sewages, you'll never have to care about the loading screens, it's like SP, it's extremly fast. And you know what ? If someones leaves the Heist, well loading screen times fall from 4minutes to a mere 30sec at most.

so what exactly is the point of the online mode? I haven't played it yet, still doing the single player.

so what exactly is the point of the online mode? I haven't played it yet, still doing the single player.

Things like deathmatch, a capture the flag mode, racing, goofing around in the lobby. Heist are the big thing they just added.

Tearing hasn't been outrageous for me but I wouldn't mind not having it.

The problem is: If my NEC 2490wuxi died today I honestly have no idea what I'd buy.

Yeah I've been playing with adaptive mode since I got it, because I didnt know about the alt-tab thing. My tearing has been right across the middle of the screen, probably 70% of gametime. So very annoying. I can't stand screen tearing. Everything is sooooo much better now.

That monitor is one serious beast.

BTW, can you play golf online?

Things like deathmatch, a capture the flag mode, racing, goofing around in the lobby. Heist are the big thing they just added.
Seems like Heists are a waste.
I've been earning the most RP/money per hour just by farming contact missions.

I guess the higher-level Heists are more profitable in premade groups.

Here's something I've found to be very helpful for tweaking VRAM usage (in all games) to avoid stuttering and bad performance. I figured this out, when BF4 had the Mantle update and it became clear that Mantle in BF4 uses a lot more VRAM than DX11. VRAM numbers reported by some programs, aren't always telling you enough information:

GPU-Z reports two values for VRAM usage.

1. "dedicated"

2. "dynamic"

I don't actually know what the "dynamic" value means. But I suspect that it's an average for the amount of VRAM data which is changing/being loaded/unloaded, at any given moment. Whereas the "dedicated" value is the static assets which basically never change, for the level/area you are playing in.

What I do know is If the dedicated + dynamic value exceeds your VRAM, you will likely experience reduced peformance and/or stuttering. However, depending on your system, you may be able to get away with 100 or 200 mb over your VRAM limit, before the problems get really noticeable. (hardware with higher bandwidth connections will do better here.)

here is a screenshot example (download for full size 1080p):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5bs3h0hjkewj0pm/14_2MantleSoS.jpg?dl=0

and another:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yf2pgpega6o7c9y/4_Mantlevmemtestafterseveralminuteschopper.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:
Yeah I've been playing with adaptive mode since I got it, because I didnt know about the alt-tab thing. My tearing has been right across the middle of the screen, probably 70% of gametime. So very annoying. I can't stand screen tearing. Everything is sooooo much better now.

That monitor is one serious beast.

BTW, can you play golf online?

I get static tearing when I forget to set the display I am playing on as the preferred device in the gfx driver config.
Once I set the preferred device, I get no tearing.
(assuming you have more than one display)

I like being able to make private online sessions, can get all my good friends together and everyone can go do whatever they want. My brother and I being into off roading really like to mod some of the trucks and go find new places to explore. Makes it really fun to play with other people. The graphics are amazing, I am playing at 1440p, everything on Very High, AA turned off, AF @ 16x and the game is stunning. On a single GTX 760 I am getting around 28-45fps. Mostly in the mid to high 30s, only dips down during night, in the rain, in the forest when my card has to render a million shadows and reflections from the plants and water. So far loving this game, other than the weird physics, but the rest makes up for it. I don't ever play regular online so I can't comment on that, I just play this game to get cool vehicles and go do whatever I want :D.

I seriously miss in phone cheats.. They were the best when you just wanted to drink some beers and go on complete rampages.. Just keep resetting health, weapons and armor with ease

Should we organize one of those off-roading excursions complete with prizes like I saw online a few weeks ago?

So I completed the mission where you
infiltrate the LifeInvader HQ and plant a bomb in the prototype phone.

Please tell me that at some point I get to
return to those offices with an AR-15 and massacre every one of those irritating hipsters.

Finally managed to get ReShade + SweetFX working. Had to use ReShade 0.17.1 and not .18 as suggested but the effect is wonderful. The the first screenshots were taken before I compensated the game's brightness level but the sunset shots are after, though I'm likely going to add a few more levels of brightness. The haze minimization was a big plus along with the additional saturation and contrast. You can clearly see the SMAA in action, too.

Comparison
Off
Hoqhyveh.png

On
qq87ptGh.png

Here's the album

All the ReShade versions with sweetfx 2.0 (it'll work with either 0.17.1 or the current 0.18) and the preset I used.

Just finished Prison Break with a premade I found on Reddit.
Rockstar does not fuck around with difficulty.

saw that heist done on youtube. looked real hard.

i only did the 2 player bank job, which was quite hard in itself. the drilling took forever cause i didnt quite know what to do, but in the end it paid off. very ejoyable

GTA V online is great, But me running Crossfire is a problem and I really hate how this game isn't compatible with crossfire.

Finding a pilot who knows what to do seems like a crapshoot. All you have to do is follow the jets, the demolition guy should help the guys in the prison or do nothing with his chopper at that point. The guys in the prison need to make sure they know what cover is and how to aim. Overall it's really not that crazy, unless you get unlucky and a cop slams into the plane and insta kills it.

I picked up the game from gmg Friday after reading all the good reviews and comments. I tried installing it on my windows 8.1 pc but every time I run the rockstar install tool I get "unable to access Rockstar servers". I then tried installing it on my windows 7 pc on the same network and it installed and runs fine. I really want it on my 8.1 pc but for the life of me I can't figure out why it won't connect to download and run the game. I've searched for and tried a number of solutions with no help (rockstar support, reddit, etc). I've also tried transferring files from my 7 pc but I still can't get it to authenticate. I've opened up a ticket with rockstar and I'm waiting a response. Anyone else having a problem on a 8.1 pc?

Edit: I figured it out. It was web filter software I was using blocking access.

Last edited:
I picked up the game from gmg Friday after reading all the good reviews and comments. I tried installing it on my windows 8.1 pc but every time I run the rockstar install tool I get "unable to access Rockstar servers". I then tried installing it on my windows 7 pc on the same network and it installed and runs fine. I really want it on my 8.1 pc but for the life of me I can't figure out why it won't connect to download and run the game. I've searched for and tried a number of solutions with no help (rockstar support, reddit, etc). I've also tried transferring files from my 7 pc but I still can't get it to authenticate. I've opened up a ticket with rockstar and I'm waiting a response. Anyone else having a problem on a 8.1 pc?

Disable Windows Firewall or add an incoming and outgoing exclusion for the installer.

So uhh, I bought a Hakochou motorcycle online. Like $90k, most expensive bike in the game.
It got delivered to my garage and there's TWO! I guess I should sell one. Weird bug.

Isn't buying vehicles a waste? I hear if you die in one, or start a mission with one etc... You pretty much lose the car as it doesn't respawn at the garage

Isn't buying vehicles a waste? I hear if you die in one, or start a mission with one etc... You pretty much lose the car as it doesn't respawn at the garage

In single player? Yes. In online? No.

You can store it in the garage in SP mode or any of the garages you purchase throughout LS.

You can store it in the garage in SP mode or any of the garages you purchase throughout LS.

Store it yes.. But if you're out and destroy the car.. It's gone for good. If you start a mission by driving your car to it and use another car in the mission. It's gone for good.

Everything I've read buying cars in SP is a gigantic waste

Yep.. Just tested it

Bought car.

Drove to safe house.. Saved game.

Took car out for spin..

Got bored.

Exited in some random place. (like most of us do)

Restarted game.. Car I purchased doesn't spawn in the garage I bought and where it was originally delivered

Waste of money...

You shouldn't lose it unless you leave game without storing it, or blow it up.
Starting missions in your car and it should be waiting for you when cutscenes end.

But yes, the 3 characters each have a 'default' car. It would be nice if you could change that, but it seems permanent. I just upgraded all 3 of their personal cars and then left it at that.

Cars and clothes are useless in SP. Maybe mods will fix it someday!

I just upgraded all 3 of their personal cars and then left it at that.

That's all I'm doing.. They're well off enough to do what you need to do.

And unlike GTA IV.. High end sports cars in traffic are quite common in GTA V.. So if you really need something sporty they aren't hard to find at all.

Although.. My favorite car from GTA IV.. The Iroc-Z looking thing is rare in this game.. But god damn can I tear ass in that car.. I LOVE the handling.. It performs exactly the same in GTA V as it did in GTA IV

I'm skipping the SP for now so I don't get left behind in GTAO.
Right now everybody is learning heists and shit, so it's okay if you fuck-up a lot. A few weeks or a month from now people will have higher requirements.

Anyone else having issues with eyefinity? The game takes a shit a dumps back to desktop everytime I try to launch with eyefinity enabled. I've tried it with, and without bezel compensation enabled. Anyone have anyideas? I'm running 2 x Radeon 290s and 3 x 1080p. Hopefully someone has seen this already and I'm not a guinea pig for a new bug.

I'm skipping the SP for now so I don't get left behind in GTAO.
Right now everybody is learning heists and shit, so it's okay if you fuck-up a lot. A few weeks or a month from now people will have higher requirements.
I've heard that GTA:O is kind of a cesspool anyway, unless you go private group with your friends. I just played it for an hour or two and it was fun I guess but I'm just more of a SP person myself I guess.

I've heard that GTA:O is kind of a cesspool anyway, unless you go private group with your friends. I just played it for an hour or two and it was fun I guess but I'm just more of a SP person myself I guess.
If you have 3 friends who are equally inexperienced as you or are willing to carry you, then sure.
But going into a premade group you need to be familiar with the heists unless you're joining a group of first-timers.

And people who say the heists are faceroll are fucking liars. Especially since there are multiple roles for each one. With the ridiculous queueing/load times, you can't afford to screw up at all.
It's GTA's equivalent of WoW raiding.

Back