Grand Theft Auto V

i have noticed that i have to alt tab the game to get full 60fps..anyone else experience this?

Yes... Alt-tab seems to correct frame buffering issues when Vsync is enabled. The same issue occurred in Far Cry 4. I've lodged a support ticket with R* so hopefully they fix it in a future patch.

The FPS reduction is especially noticeable in areas with high grass coverage. The FPS will drop to 30, but if you Alt-tab, it will bring the frames back up.

Yes... Alt-tab seems to correct frame buffering issues when Vsync is enabled. The same issue occurred in Far Cry 4. I've lodged a support ticket with R* so hopefully they fix it in a future patch.

The FPS reduction is especially noticeable in areas with high grass coverage. The FPS will drop to 30, but if you Alt-tab, it will bring the frames back up.
Okay cool. Keep us updated

I love how people demand games push hardware harder, then all these people come out the wood works with 5 year old cards bitching about the game not running well. upgrade your shit.

It's the never ending crying on the [H].... "console port garbage!...unoptimized!!....we want massive games!"

Then they cry when games make their systems crawl because they have crap hardware. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Who's complaining about performance?
Seems like everyone has the game running fine. Aside from non-performance related problems.

I love how people demand games push hardware harder, then all these people come out the wood works with 5 year old cards bitching about the game not running well. upgrade your shit.

It's the never ending crying on the [H].... "console port garbage!...unoptimized!!....we want massive games!"

Then they cry when games make their systems crawl because they have crap hardware. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You confuse opinions from different people.
Concentrate on the positives as well, you might gain a balanced view.

These graphics are amazing:

heXjzjk.gif

I agree wholeheartedly.
1080p at 110" on a 290x looks fantastic.
Such a shame 4K projectors + bulbs wont have viable prices for probably 5 years.

Loving this game... 1st person mode on a bike is epic (in cars too, but bikes is more fun). Have just been fooling around, driving around the city, doing some first quests... those two black guys are comedy gold. Especially, when they try to kidnap someone and earn 40k :).

On 1440p had to switch down from 4xMSAA to 2x and kill tesselation/occlusion to medium - in town I'm getting about 50-60 FPS, in woods, when I was free driving, it goes down to 35-40, so will have to tune down some foliage options. I also notice some strange FPS drops at 970. Precision OSD tells me, that game suddenly drops to 3.0 FPS, only second later to be back in proper range. Can't wait now to 390/980 Ti series to upgrade the card, to get perfect max 1440p settings. Vanilla 980 will not much improve my game immersion... and SLI 970 in 1440p is just asking for stutter/other issues.

Last edited:
Who's complaining about performance?
Seems like everyone has the game running fine. Aside from non-performance related problems.

For the most part, yes the performance of GTA V is excellent. There are a couple of small performance issues that need ironing out though.

Saw one of these at Best Buy. Man, that thing is tiny! Priced at $499 though.

been playing the campaign for around 7 hours now. great fun, very varied in what you have to do. and once trevor shows up, all hell breaks loose. what a great character! and its also nice that he starts with tons of cash so you can actually buy shit and mess around.
another tipp, maybe spoiler teritory, after michael gets the advice to buy some shares after a certain companies stock crashes... wait a bit longer. i jumped the gun and blew all my money on shares when they were low, only to see them plummet further. i hope they will rise at some point :/

Well this sucks. My game was running solid until "The Wrap Up" mission. Every time I'm in that mission the game crashes and cannot start back up until a reboot. :(

Well this sucks. My game was running solid until "The Wrap Up" mission. Every time I'm in that mission the game crashes and cannot start back up until a reboot. :(

Hmm, corrupt save perhaps? Can you revert to an older save and try the mission again?

when i shut off the launcher I started getting crashes. Make sure you aren't doing anything to the gta file or closing anything and load 2nd newest save.

been playing the campaign for around 7 hours now. great fun, very varied in what you have to do. and once trevor shows up, all hell breaks loose. what a great character! and its also nice that he starts with tons of cash so you can actually buy shit and mess around.
another tipp, maybe spoiler teritory, after michael gets the advice to buy some shares after a certain companies stock crashes... wait a bit longer. i jumped the gun and blew all my money on shares when they were low, only to see them plummet further. i hope they will rise at some point :/

Now that's a great real-life lesson from a video game.

Don't trust stock tips.

Ahhh, that was me that mentioned the triple buffering not being enabled by default.

What was happening is if the frame rate went below the refresh rate (60hz), the frame rate would drop to half the refresh rate (30fps)... However, after I alt-tabbed out and back into the game, the frame rate was not cut in half and could be any number between 30 and 60. This allows for a much smoother and consistent gameplay experience.

Now, the ONLY technical term I know for this effect is "triple buffering". I'm not sure what other setting creates this type of effect. Regardless of the accuracy of the technical term, if you use Vsync there is a notable gameplay improvement once the frame rate doesn't get locked to 30fps when dipping below 60fps and you're on 60hz refresh.

So that's whats happening......... son of a...
I always force triple buffer in the nvidia settings, so I forgot that this could be that issue. Lame that it doesn't work even forcing it with the drivers.
But, until now I was playing with v-sync off and the tearing was driving me insane! Thanks for this post! At least now I can alt-tab and play with v-sync on and no tearing. The fps sure enough is normal now. I hope they patch this soon, but at least theres a simple workaround.

Google assassination missions reddit if you want to have $2.1 billion on each character, there will be a few spoilers but nothing too bad I think. If you don't want to read it, just don't do any of Lesters assassination missions (except the first one that you have to do, remember BET for that if you don't want to google the above) until you finish the main storyline.

So that's whats happening......... son of a...
I always force triple buffer in the nvidia settings, so I forgot that this could be that issue. Lame that it doesn't work even forcing it with the drivers.
But, until now I was playing with v-sync off and the tearing was driving me insane! Thanks for this post! At least now I can alt-tab and play with v-sync on and no tearing. The fps sure enough is normal now. I hope they patch this soon, but at least theres a simple workaround.

Tip: Use adaptive v-sync in the NVidia control panel. if your frame rate dips below 60fps, it won't drop to 30fps with adaptive vsync.

Ifruit for the PC is live apparently. Not all devices are seeing the update yet for Android.

Edit: Got it.. Works great

Ifruit for the PC is live apparently. Not all devices are seeing the update yet for Android.

Edit: Got it.. Works great

Dumb question:

Can I run Ifruit in any way, shape, or form off of my desktop or is it mobile options only?

Based upon memory the Triple Buffering function in the Nvidia panel is only for OpenGL. You can force it in Direct3D apps using Direrct3DOverrider, though. At least you can in most apps...but a few mysteriously don't work.

Based upon memory the Triple Buffering function in the Nvidia panel is only for OpenGL. You can force it in Direct3D apps using Direrct3DOverrider, though. At least you can in most apps...but a few mysteriously don't work.

Probably won't do any good based on some responses I got earlier in this thread about it.

You can try it but don't count on anything.

Still amazed at this game, the weather (rain) looks amazing. Story is great, along with the acting. No crashes, no graphic glitches at all, just the occasional car disappearing when i turn around, but its not a huge deal. My son on the other hand, who has bought the game 3 times now (sucker :D), cannot get the game to run on his 280x. BSOD before the game starts. Patched, tried different windows user id, disabling video card, he is having no luck. Is there a way to start the game in safe mode? basic settings and low res?

Still amazed at this game, the weather (rain) looks amazing. Story is great, along with the acting. No crashes, no graphic glitches at all, just the occasional car disappearing when i turn around, but its not a huge deal. My son on the other hand, who has bought the game 3 times now (sucker :D), cannot get the game to run on his 280x. BSOD before the game starts. Patched, tried different windows user id, disabling video card, he is having no luck. Is there a way to start the game in safe mode? basic settings and low res?

Does he have teamviewer? If so, shut it down completely. Try having him shut down anything that has an overlay or can turn one on then work from there.

So I started GTAO 30 minutes ago, have yet to play any actual activities.
Partners leave/disconnect, back to another 5 minutes of loading. Jesus christ this is one of the worst online games I've ever experienced.

I keep trying to play it hoping it'll get better and it never does.

Partners leave/disconnect, back to another 5 minutes of loading. Jesus christ this is one of the worst online games I've ever experienced.

At least you didn't get killed multiple times by someone completely over powered who does nothing but skate around the map killing everyone he sees..

And yes.. The online sucks because of what you said too

Yeah. It sucks pretty much. Could've been way better, which makes it all the worse. At this point in its lifespan there's not much hope for it. It's OK if you have a small group of friends and do a few heists - in that way it's like the co-op that people have always wanted, but everything else is crap.

Back