Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by 5150Joker, Aug 15, 2006.

1. w1retap

w1retap [H]ardForum Junkie

Must be your graphics card then. Update your video card drivers? And.. confirm that your 1900xtx is indeed HDCP certified.

2. duce3

duce3 Gawd

Well I have had mine for a week Tomorrow and all I can say is wow. Just wall mounted it Friday night and had a headache figuring out how to remove the base, but once you figure it out it moves smooth. Love having this thing on the wall! As for picture quality it looks amazing. Had my laptop hooked up to it and it looked like ass! I think that it was the laptops fault completely and due to running off of a weak video card through VGA. I have my xbox 360 as the only source hooked up to it and I think it looks amazing. Games that can be upscaled are brilliant and games that can't still look great but a little washed out but not much, but you can edit your settings in the monitor to correct it. I love that you can set your settings for each connection separately for the best results on this thing so leaving my xbox hooked up through VGA and correcting them from there will have no affect when I build my new PC and run it through DVI-1. What I would like to see is an HDMI cable for the 360 and an update that allows you to tweak visual settings from the dashboard. Once I get my new pc ordered and built I will post pictures.

3. JayD

JayD Limp Gawd

Driver is up to date and my x1900xtx is HDCP compliant. Anyone else have any ideas? Is there a process to enable an HDCP handshake of some sort?

4. duce3

duce3 Gawd

Could it be the cable that you are using?

5. w1retap

Did you even try playing the HDDVD.. or are you just using the test program to see if you are compliant? If you go to play a HDDVD.. what does it do on your PC? Any error message.. post a screenshot?

6. altdelete47

altdelete47 n00b

huh? No offense, but this sounds like bullsh*t to me. It makes no sense at all, and I have never heard of a product version number counting down. Does that mean that if they change something now, the version would be 0.9?

Sounds like something a support rep would say on the phone to make you feel better, and so they don't have to come out and update your firmware.

7. theTIK

theTIK Gawd

I heard someone say that it went from 1.1-1.8 and 1.8 is the same thing as 1.0. I dunno

8. Starfox

Starfox 2[H]4U

How do I get high definition channels from an antennae to work on this TV?

9. jester55

jester55 [H]Lite

No offense to you, but if you would have read the thread, you would know that 1.0 is final! No other revisions will be made!

Here is one of many quotes w/ page to back it up....

page 77

Next time do your research before calling bullsh*t!!!!

10. duce3

duce3 Gawd

I got a quick question do you guys leave your westy in the sleep mode or do you turn it off for the night?

11. facesnorth

facesnorth Limp Gawd

What do you mean by this? Your VISA card doubles warranty's on electronics equipment? Or the store doubles it if you use a certain VISA? Give us the scoop on this.

Ryan

12. facesnorth

facesnorth Limp Gawd

I've read the entire thread and there's a lot of debate about what the final firmware revision is. I've yet to see someone provide a truly authoritative source.

Besides, it's unreasonable to suggest that any revision is final. That would cause me to lose interest in this product. It would be arrogant to assume that no further revisions will ever be necessary.

Ryan

13. facesnorth

facesnorth Limp Gawd

Speaking of firmware, can you guys who have recently ordered from mwave let us know what firmware revision you are receiving?

Ryan

14. facesnorth

facesnorth Limp Gawd

One more thing, I'd like to ask anyone who is pretty familiar with LCD's, not just the budget ones, but the $2k+ ones as well (most people seem to compare it with other budget models). How does the 37w3 compare with other 37-42" LCD's (of all price ranges) in the following:

optimal viewing angles
    SD picture quality
    use as TV
    use as X-360 display
    use as PC monitor
    color quality
    deep blacks
    ghosting/banding/etc
    any other misc observations

Ryan

15. facesnorth

facesnorth Limp Gawd

One last question.

Most people I read about here seem to have some fancy 8800, 9500, etc gfx cards. I presently use an evga geforce 6600 gt (pci express) w/ a 21" NEC MultiSync FE 1250+. They suit me fine for my needs. I am interested in the 37w3 primarily as a tv and for playing my 360. However, it would be nice to hook the PC up as well. Will I run into problems using my 6600 gt? If not, what would be the cheapest upgrade on a pci express card that can pump this baby?

Ryan

16. facesnorth

facesnorth Limp Gawd

I do have to mention the fact that most people use this as a PC monitor does cheapen it in my eyes. It makes it less desirable to me to use as a TV. I can't imagine your budgets. You people using this for a PC monitor, dare I ask what you use for a TV?

Ryan

17. Ryom

Ryom [H]ard|Gawd

I use an HP MX70 17" CRT as my TV.

18. Nor Gitram

Nor Gitram n00b

cameltoe.....thanks for taking the time to run that Cyberlink advisor test. I talked to westinghouse support and they suspect my HDCP handshake issue is with the monitor and to ship it to them for testing..repair or replace. He also said, that he believed firmware 1.8 was the latest and that the firmware versions only effect the menu system.

19. evanisthecoastie

evanisthecoastie [H]ardness Supreme

why only think of using the westy as one type of screen? i recall someone split screening it as a tv/computer monitor. or why not just toggle it the way you want to use it?

20. board2death986

board2death986 [H]ard|Gawd

Well yea, i split it up between my HTPC, digital cable, xbox 360, xbox, and my old vcr/dvd combo player.

21. tygirwulf

tygirwulf n00b

Anyone see the March PC Gamer review on the Westy? They recommended it over the 30" Dell and a 30" HP (I think). My boyfriend keeps taking it to work so I haven't really had a good look at the magazine yet.

My bf and I spend more time together now thanks to the Westy. We can watch movies, play split screened games, or just watch each other play games. I think for a wedding present I will get my parents to buy us another one of these things. lol

My only real complaint is not any fault of the Westy's. A lot of sites don't work well with large text and few games have text sizes large enough to read easily when you are sitting 4.5 feet away. I was just trying out Eve Online and the largest text size is 12pt, which is ridiculously hard trying to read from the couch. Sheesh.

22. BATMAN33

BATMAN33 n00b

the new is 1.8

23. evanisthecoastie

quick question:
    Hows the non native LARGE res work out on this bad boy?

24. w1retap

What would that be...? Of course you get fuzzy text with non one-to-one pixel mapping, just the same as any other LCD.

25. DrewRosenHouse

DrewRosenHouse Limp Gawd

Wait is the new firmware 1.8 or 1.0? You say 1.8 and everyone else says 1.0 , can anyone actually confirm this or is everyone just giving there own opinions.

Also how do I find out which version of firmware I have, is it written on the box?

26. [H]ump

[H]ump [H]Lite

Let me know about the bestbuy thing, they have a great warranty walk in and basically they replace.

27. cameltoe1009

cameltoe1009 n00b

My firmware version is 1.8.

I have a stuck pixel as well..damnit. Its off to the side so I cant see it unless I go looking for it.....I think I can live with it.

28. DrewRosenHouse

DrewRosenHouse Limp Gawd

Bestbuy doesnt carry this model in any of there stores, you can only price match items in-store I believe.

29. Ohgami

Ohgami n00b

This is a Monitor as has been stated 9827394870431 times in this thread. You'll need an external tuner such as a HD Cable box, HD Sat tuner ot a OTA Set top Tuner.

30. g0dM@n

g0dM@n [H]ardness Supreme

how's this monitor do at 1080i or 720p for up-conversion DVD players, and also for Digital TV Channels???

31. evanisthecoastie

HD tuners should not ever be needed, you order HD service, you get HD tuners from your tv company

32. KENNYB

KENNYB 2[H]4U

I use this monitor primarily as a HDTV. I don't care how well it does or does not display SD. If the TV/Monitor is less desirable to you because of how OTHER people use it then maybe you're the one with the problem, not us.

33. w1retap

Already been answered.. DVD upconversion does nothing but stretch out a 720x480 DVD and apply image sharpening filters. Your image is only as good as your source. I own a pretty nice LG upconversion DVD player... trust me, its not worth the money. Invest in a better solution such as HDDVD, Bluray, and HD cable if you want real HD.

34. BATMAN33

BATMAN33 n00b

1.8 is the new firmware.ps3 work well with 1.8 no handshake problem.if u think that a lie
    go to avs forum and read about it.1.6 1.5 1.0 have handshake. not 1.8;)

35. cameltoe1009

cameltoe1009 n00b

i have v1.8 and have the blinking problem...need to unplug the hdmi and plug it back it...

36. facesnorth

facesnorth Limp Gawd

There's no need to bring hostility onto a forum post about electronics equipment.

In my area, and on my budget, sadly, I will only have access to a small handful of HD channels. Many of the channels I enjoy watching (and pay for) only come in SD. So I do care about the quality of how those will appear. Since I don't have access to one of these to try out before purchasing online, I would like some input on how this monitor displays SD as compared to other LCD's (in any price range).

Ryan

37. theTIK

theTIK Gawd

They do broadcast HDTV over the air that you can pick up for free if you have an antenna and HD tuner. It is just the major networks but still.

38. Voltron

Voltron Limp Gawd

Yeah, makes me wish I lived in a bigger city :(

Regular TV actually looks pretty good coming from my Happague (sp?) TV card. Of coarse I've never watched HDTV so I don't know what I'm missing. :p

39. [Retaliation]

[Retaliation] Limp Gawd

again...ill post this for the new ppl..the issues with the ps3 and hdmi have nothing to do with Westinghouse...or any other hdmi tv/lcd...its the ps3 and hdmi thats the issue

40. facesnorth

facesnorth Limp Gawd

Do ALL LCD tv's have an issue w/ ps3 over HDMI? Are there any LCD's w/out this problem over HDMI?

Ryan