Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Still not working. PowerDVD reports Display Connection Type: Digital (without HDCP)

Must be your graphics card then. Update your video card drivers? And.. confirm that your 1900xtx is indeed HDCP certified.

Well I have had mine for a week Tomorrow and all I can say is wow. Just wall mounted it Friday night and had a headache figuring out how to remove the base, but once you figure it out it moves smooth. Love having this thing on the wall! As for picture quality it looks amazing. Had my laptop hooked up to it and it looked like ass! I think that it was the laptops fault completely and due to running off of a weak video card through VGA. I have my xbox 360 as the only source hooked up to it and I think it looks amazing. Games that can be upscaled are brilliant and games that can't still look great but a little washed out but not much, but you can edit your settings in the monitor to correct it. I love that you can set your settings for each connection separately for the best results on this thing so leaving my xbox hooked up through VGA and correcting them from there will have no affect when I build my new PC and run it through DVI-1. What I would like to see is an HDMI cable for the 360 and an update that allows you to tweak visual settings from the dashboard. Once I get my new pc ordered and built I will post pictures.

Must be your graphics card then. Update your video card drivers? And.. confirm that your 1900xtx is indeed HDCP certified.

Driver is up to date and my x1900xtx is HDCP compliant. Anyone else have any ideas? Is there a process to enable an HDCP handshake of some sort?

Driver is up to date and my x1900xtx is HDCP compliant. Anyone else have any ideas? Is there a process to enable an HDCP handshake of some sort?

Did you even try playing the HDDVD.. or are you just using the test program to see if you are compliant? If you go to play a HDDVD.. what does it do on your PC? Any error message.. post a screenshot?

If I understand it right - Westinghouse has some weird ways to list their firmware.

It basically goes v1.0 is final and best - or you could say it is 2.0 to us.

All the other revisions v1.1-v1.9 are working up to v1.0 final - not v2.0

I hope I said this right - feel free to correct me if I am wrong

Either way - I'm praying for v1.0 on mine that will be here Wednesday....

huh? No offense, but this sounds like bullsh*t to me. It makes no sense at all, and I have never heard of a product version number counting down. Does that mean that if they change something now, the version would be 0.9?

Sounds like something a support rep would say on the phone to make you feel better, and so they don't have to come out and update your firmware.

huh? No offense, but this sounds like bullsh*t to me. It makes no sense at all, and I have never heard of a product version number counting down. Does that mean that if they change something now, the version would be 0.9?

Sounds like something a support rep would say on the phone to make you feel better, and so they don't have to come out and update your firmware.

No offense to you, but if you would have read the thread, you would know that 1.0 is final! No other revisions will be made!

Here is one of many quotes w/ page to back it up....

that's possible, I'm on there a lot too, and I went on a widescreen background search a few weeks ago, in prep for this screen. Also, technically, it is a background...not a screensaver. ;) Also, JohnleMVP: Version 1.0 is the newest, and FINAL hardware and firmware revision on this screen. They went backwards through the revision numbers, 1.6, 1.5, etc. I do not recall the exact order of the revisions, but I do know, for sure 1.0 is final revision.
page 77

Next time do your research before calling bullsh*t!!!!

I got a quick question do you guys leave your westy in the sleep mode or do you turn it off for the night?

Also, I called about my Visa card, and they will automatically double the warranty to 2 years. Not sure how good CC companies are about it since I have never tried, but it does give me some free piece of mind.

What do you mean by this? Your VISA card doubles warranty's on electronics equipment? Or the store doubles it if you use a certain VISA? Give us the scoop on this.

Ryan

No offense to you, but if you would have read the thread, you would know that 1.0 is final! No other revisions will be made!

I've read the entire thread and there's a lot of debate about what the final firmware revision is. I've yet to see someone provide a truly authoritative source.

Besides, it's unreasonable to suggest that any revision is final. That would cause me to lose interest in this product. It would be arrogant to assume that no further revisions will ever be necessary.

Ryan

Speaking of firmware, can you guys who have recently ordered from mwave let us know what firmware revision you are receiving?

Ryan

One more thing, I'd like to ask anyone who is pretty familiar with LCD's, not just the budget ones, but the $2k+ ones as well (most people seem to compare it with other budget models). How does the 37w3 compare with other 37-42" LCD's (of all price ranges) in the following:

optimal viewing angles
SD picture quality
use as TV
use as X-360 display
use as PC monitor
color quality
deep blacks
ghosting/banding/etc
any other misc observations

Ryan

One last question.

Most people I read about here seem to have some fancy 8800, 9500, etc gfx cards. I presently use an evga geforce 6600 gt (pci express) w/ a 21" NEC MultiSync FE 1250+. They suit me fine for my needs. I am interested in the 37w3 primarily as a tv and for playing my 360. However, it would be nice to hook the PC up as well. Will I run into problems using my 6600 gt? If not, what would be the cheapest upgrade on a pci express card that can pump this baby?

Ryan

I do have to mention the fact that most people use this as a PC monitor does cheapen it in my eyes. It makes it less desirable to me to use as a TV. I can't imagine your budgets. You people using this for a PC monitor, dare I ask what you use for a TV?

Ryan

cameltoe.....thanks for taking the time to run that Cyberlink advisor test. I talked to westinghouse support and they suspect my HDCP handshake issue is with the monitor and to ship it to them for testing..repair or replace. He also said, that he believed firmware 1.8 was the latest and that the firmware versions only effect the menu system.

why only think of using the westy as one type of screen? i recall someone split screening it as a tv/computer monitor. or why not just toggle it the way you want to use it?

why only think of using the westy as one type of screen? i recall someone split screening it as a tv/computer monitor. or why not just toggle it the way you want to use it?

Well yea, i split it up between my HTPC, digital cable, xbox 360, xbox, and my old vcr/dvd combo player.

Anyone see the March PC Gamer review on the Westy? They recommended it over the 30" Dell and a 30" HP (I think). My boyfriend keeps taking it to work so I haven't really had a good look at the magazine yet.

My bf and I spend more time together now thanks to the Westy. We can watch movies, play split screened games, or just watch each other play games. I think for a wedding present I will get my parents to buy us another one of these things. lol

My only real complaint is not any fault of the Westy's. A lot of sites don't work well with large text and few games have text sizes large enough to read easily when you are sitting 4.5 feet away. I was just trying out Eve Online and the largest text size is 12pt, which is ridiculously hard trying to read from the couch. Sheesh.

the new is 1.8

Wait is the new firmware 1.8 or 1.0? You say 1.8 and everyone else says 1.0 , can anyone actually confirm this or is everyone just giving there own opinions.

Also how do I find out which version of firmware I have, is it written on the box?

If anyone has a Conns in thier area, they have it for $999.

http://www.conns.com/new/show_product.php?isbn=4925

Conns return policy isn't that good, so I am going to see if BestBuy will price match. Doesn't Bestbuy do 110% pricematch? 10% being the difference of their price of 1499, and Conns price 999 ($50) would be $949 + tax (1,027.30). I am going to make some calls tommorrow.

I want to try before I commit. I would rather walk into the store and buy instead of mail order since an RMA really could be a nasty experience doing Mail order. I can buy it at Mwave for $1,024 shipped if I want to go mail order.

Also, I called about my Visa card, and they will automatically double the warranty to 2 years. Not sure how good CC companies are about it since I have never tried, but it does give me some free piece of mind.

Let me know about the bestbuy thing, they have a great warranty walk in and basically they replace.

My firmware version is 1.8.

I have a stuck pixel as well..damnit. Its off to the side so I cant see it unless I go looking for it.....I think I can live with it.

[H]ump;1030659622 said:
Let me know about the bestbuy thing, they have a great warranty walk in and basically they replace.

Bestbuy doesnt carry this model in any of there stores, you can only price match items in-store I believe.

How do I get high definition channels from an antennae to work on this TV?

This is a Monitor as has been stated 9827394870431 times in this thread. You'll need an external tuner such as a HD Cable box, HD Sat tuner ot a OTA Set top Tuner.

how's this monitor do at 1080i or 720p for up-conversion DVD players, and also for Digital TV Channels???

I do have to mention the fact that most people use this as a PC monitor does cheapen it in my eyes. It makes it less desirable to me to use as a TV. I can't imagine your budgets. You people using this for a PC monitor, dare I ask what you use for a TV?

Ryan

I use this monitor primarily as a HDTV. I don't care how well it does or does not display SD. If the TV/Monitor is less desirable to you because of how OTHER people use it then maybe you're the one with the problem, not us.

how's this monitor do at 1080i or 720p for up-conversion DVD players, and also for Digital TV Channels???

Already been answered.. DVD upconversion does nothing but stretch out a 720x480 DVD and apply image sharpening filters. Your image is only as good as your source. I own a pretty nice LG upconversion DVD player... trust me, its not worth the money. Invest in a better solution such as HDDVD, Bluray, and HD cable if you want real HD.

1.8 is the new firmware.ps3 work well with 1.8 no handshake problem.if u think that a lie
go to avs forum and read about it.1.6 1.5 1.0 have handshake. not 1.8;)

I use this monitor primarily as a HDTV. I don't care how well it does or does not display SD. If the TV/Monitor is less desirable to you because of how OTHER people use it then maybe you're the one with the problem, not us.

There's no need to bring hostility onto a forum post about electronics equipment.

In my area, and on my budget, sadly, I will only have access to a small handful of HD channels. Many of the channels I enjoy watching (and pay for) only come in SD. So I do care about the quality of how those will appear. Since I don't have access to one of these to try out before purchasing online, I would like some input on how this monitor displays SD as compared to other LCD's (in any price range).

Ryan

They do broadcast HDTV over the air that you can pick up for free if you have an antenna and HD tuner. It is just the major networks but still.

Yeah, makes me wish I lived in a bigger city :(

Regular TV actually looks pretty good coming from my Happague (sp?) TV card. Of coarse I've never watched HDTV so I don't know what I'm missing. :p

1.8 is the new firmware.ps3 work well with 1.8 no handshake problem.if u think that a lie
go to avs forum and read about it.1.6 1.5 1.0 have handshake. not 1.8;)
again...ill post this for the new ppl..the issues with the ps3 and hdmi have nothing to do with Westinghouse...or any other hdmi tv/lcd...its the ps3 and hdmi thats the issue

[Retaliation];1030661920 said:
again...ill post this for the new ppl..the issues with the ps3 and hdmi have nothing to do with Westinghouse...or any other hdmi tv/lcd...its the ps3 and hdmi thats the issue

Do ALL LCD tv's have an issue w/ ps3 over HDMI? Are there any LCD's w/out this problem over HDMI?

Ryan

Back