Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

The NBA Street demo on the 360 is NATIVE 1080p.. and one other EA game coming out soon. I'm not sure of anything else.

Actually it's EA's NBA Street and Sega's Virtua Tennis that are the 1st Native 1080P for 360.

Thanks for replying...I read that on there site, that's why I'm trying to see if someone with this monitor can test it with Cyberlink's Advisor. If there monitor passes the test, then my HDCP chip is probably faulty.

As it stands now I can't view any HDCP content through both DVI or HDMI ports on my monitor.
works fine for me...only "no" i get is for hd dvd and blue ray

Finally - I have one on the way!!!

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1152234

$775 including shipping and insurance - I thought I did pretty good!

Once I get it, I'm going to buy an extended warranty through WarrantyByNet.com (They offer Repair Master plans you can add to your manufacturer warranty after you had it for a while)

I plan to post pics of this beast on my "Sick" 3 foot by 6 foot wood desk!!!

Anyway, I have a couple questions for the 37W3 experts here:
(This unit is coming with everything as if from factory.)

What do I need to connect this properly to my 7800GT Card? Do I need to buy any cords?

What do I need for calibration?

Thanks,
-jester55

Hi, I just got my monitor in and got everything working at 1080p on my pc but having problems with my Original Xbox through components(white/red/yellow). It seems I am not getting any color (grayscale) and the picture quality is really bad. In xbox it is at 780 x 480i, is that the problem? If it is the problem how do I change this resolution setting through the westy remote? I got to the resolution display by pressing the i but do not know how to change the setting. Any help would be much appreciated

Just got mine works great no dead pixels. Only problem is there's a horizontal tearing line whenever I watch 1080p movies through the xbox 360 vga cable. Anyone else have this issue? Not sure if its the connection, don't think its the westy. Doesn't appear in games or through any other input including my pc.

I was thinking of getting two samsung 226 panels, but this westinghouse looks great, now if only i could find a canadian seller!!

Hi, I just got my monitor in and got everything working at 1080p on my pc but having problems with my Original Xbox through components(white/red/yellow). It seems I am not getting any color (grayscale) and the picture quality is really bad. In xbox it is at 780 x 480i, is that the problem? If it is the problem how do I change this resolution setting through the westy remote? I got to the resolution display by pressing the i but do not know how to change the setting. Any help would be much appreciated

Open this picture on the tv...http://www.hkrs.com/bbs/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=10625

1.)Make sure you tv have been running for a little bit before calibrating.
2.)Reset you tv to factory settings
3.)Choose a backlight setting based on the light in the room.... higher is brighter, good if a lot of sunlight is in the room, but can strain eyes, use more power...lower is better at night... I found for me during the day 40 or 60 is a good level and at night 20-40 is a good level.
4.)Adjust your blacks first using Brightness... in that picture there is a black bar near the bottem left with boxes in it saying 4, 8, 12... lower the brightness until you can't see the white from the 4 box anymore... then slowly raise the brightness until you can just see the 4 box
5.)Now adjust your whites... Use Contrast for this... there is a white bar near the bottem right with the numbered boxes 223, 227.... change the contrast till you can't see the black from the 251 box anymore... then slowly change it back until you can just see the 251 box again.
6.)Adjust your colors using Saturation... look at the various colored objects in that picture... the rainbow of colors directly below the girl in the middle is very helpful... making your reds, blues, and greens look right is the most important... and of course the skin of the girl right above.
7.) Make sure your Hue is at 0, color temp is at neutral, sharpness 0, aspect standard.

This was the best method for me to make the colors and everything look good on my westy... I'm no professional or anything so someone let me know if something i said was wrong or you have better advice.

Just got mine works great no dead pixels. Only problem is there's a horizontal tearing line whenever I watch 1080p movies through the xbox 360 vga cable. Anyone else have this issue? Not sure if its the connection, don't think its the westy. Doesn't appear in games or through any other input including my pc.

Anyone else?

err, your 1900xtx is HDCP certified right? Why not just plug the Xbox 360 HDDVD drive up to the pc and use it through there with PowerDVD 7 HD/BD edition?

I noticed that when I started using VGA cables I had a horizontal tearing line that would randomly appear at the startup of the xbox 360. To get rid of it all I did was just restart the 360. One time I needed to restart the 360 like 2 or 3 times to get rid of it.

Well I've had my westy for a few days now and there are several factors that may be getting in my way of truly appreciating this set.

1. My HD BOX (Explorer 3250HD - TimeWarner) is connected via the issued Component cables - I purchased a DVI cable but the picture looked washed out (even worse). As it stands with the standard issue component cables, SD channels look shite but Ive read that is to be expected. DiscoveryHD channel and NBC seem to be the best channels thus far and HBO/Showtime are meh. I also changed the boxes defaulted output of 1080i to 720p and in advanced settings changed the picture output to "Pass Thru". I think i read that this is the best thing to do (not sure)
1Q - Why would the DVI output quality seem lower than through the component? Would better component cables really make a difference with the picture quality from the HDBox?

2. I don't have a worthy PC to actually hook this thing up to but it is in my future. Vision was to use this is my PC monitor, play Next-GenHD gaming and upscale Movies while the fight continues of BR/HD. I purchased an XBOX360 and the faded blacks/washed blacks kinda bug me but i will say that the Need for Speed demo looked WOW as hell. Really impressed. Gears of War is alright.

3. The viewing angle for this thing seems to be really really crappy. If I stand up and look down on it, it fades, if I move a slightly to the left and right away from center of it, I see a fade. Is this normal? The monitor stands on a shelf that is 21inches high puting the top of the monitor at around 4feet from the ground. Is there an ideal height for this thing?

4. How long does it take for the westy to "warm up". I noticed some green tint to the blacks today when i first powered it up with the xbox360 that I hadn't noticed last night.

5. What all should I do (without a pc) to test this monitor to make sure mine is not faulty?

6. What are the ideal settings for the VGA portion of the menu (PC?) I have no idea what those settings are for but since my XBOX360 is hooked up via VGA, the option is accessible and the more I can tweak the better.

7. Are upconverting DVD players worth it for this Monitor? Will the picture look equal to/better than DVD on standard displays?

your responses would be appreciated.

Well I've had my westy for a few days now and there are several factors that may be getting in my way of truly appreciating this set.

1. My HD BOX (Explorer 3250HD - TimeWarner) is connected via the issued Component cables - I purchased a DVI cable but the picture looked washed out (even worse). As it stands with the standard issue component cables, SD channels look shite but Ive read that is to be expected. DiscoveryHD channel and NBC seem to be the best channels thus far and HBO/Showtime are meh. I also changed the boxes defaulted output of 1080i to 720p and in advanced settings changed the picture output to "Pass Thru". I think i read that this is the best thing to do (not sure)
1Q - Why would the DVI output quality seem lower than through the component? Would better component cables really make a difference with the picture quality from the HDBox?

2. I don't have a worthy PC to actually hook this thing up to but it is in my future. Vision was to use this is my PC monitor, play Next-GenHD gaming and upscale Movies while the fight continues of BR/HD. I purchased an XBOX360 and the faded blacks/washed blacks kinda bug me but i will say that the Need for Speed demo looked WOW as hell. Really impressed. Gears of War is alright.

3. The viewing angle for this thing seems to be really really crappy. If I stand up and look down on it, it fades, if I move a slightly to the left and right away from center of it, I see a fade. Is this normal? The monitor stands on a shelf that is 21inches high puting the top of the monitor at around 4feet from the ground. Is there an ideal height for this thing?

4. How long does it take for the westy to "warm up". I noticed some green tint to the blacks today when i first powered it up with the xbox360 that I hadn't noticed last night.

5. What all should I do (without a pc) to test this monitor to make sure mine is not faulty?

6. What are the ideal settings for the VGA portion of the menu (PC?) I have no idea what those settings are for but since my XBOX360 is hooked up via VGA, the option is accessible and the more I can tweak the better.

7. Are upconverting DVD players worth it for this Monitor? Will the picture look equal to/better than DVD on standard displays?

your responses would be appreciated.

1) You should use a HDMI for the best (TV) experience in my opinion. Especially for that kind've cable box.
2) You should use them with HD (R.B.G) cabling. Makes my PS3 look incredible to say the least (on this monitor).
3) Height not so much, viewing distance, yes. As you know this thing is bright as hell however it is very crappy with the viewing angles (horizonally). If you're using it as a tv only just place it like 5 or 10 feet away. For a monitor try like 3 or else you'll go blind lol.
4) Doesn't "warm up". Should just go on and give image then you're good to go.
5) Call up a technician on their support line and ask away, that's what warranties/your patronage grants you.
6) No idea.
7) Probably not.

No. Upconverting does nothing. Your picture quality is only as good as your source. Upconversion players only stretch out the 720x480 DVD image and apply sharpening filters. For HD movie viewing, I suggest getting the Xbox 360 HDDVD player, a standalone HDDVD player, or a Blu-ray player. It looks amazing and its well worth it.

neocvera, what firmware does your monitor have?

I (THINK) it's 1.0?
I remember when i select the info box deal (where it gives you the source input info) at the bottom it says version 1.0 or something.

If this is not right, where do I view the FW version?

still looking for a canadian dealer. Still havnt found one yet that carries this monitor :(

Bahhh My hopes were set too high..

Shopko :)

lcd003.jpg

Ok well I am highly considering this display.

I will use it primarily for Xbox 360 Gaming/watching cable and as a monitor for my SFF media center/web surfing/htcp rig.

Would there be a better choice for my uses? Where can I find the best deal on this monitor.

Thanks

My pc is hooked up thru DVI1 and the PS3 thru HDMI. The thing the really bothers me is the handshake issue with the ps3. Everytime I switch the ps3 on and play a game at 720p or try to watch a dvd at 480p, the screen blinks until a. you turn the monitor off then back on, or b. unplug the hdmi cable then plug it back in. This also can be addressed by changing the ps3 to the res your are about to view...from 1080p to whatever...then it doesnt happen...pretty annoying though. Otherwise it looks great!

I actually talked to a Westinghouse customer service rep about the handshake issue, they said they are still working with Sony regarding this handshake issue as of just 1 week ago.

Also they said it is entirely on Sony's side (hdmi 2.0 not being backwards compatible or something), and Sony will be releasing a system update to patch it (or they are currently working on a system update to patch it)

This contradicts what I heard before from someone else, that Westinghouse has to send out someone to flash the firmware of your tv.....which one is correct? I dont know, but I want it freggin fixed already.

If I understand it right - Westinghouse has some weird ways to list their firmware.

It basically goes v1.0 is final and best - or you could say it is 2.0 to us.

All the other revisions v1.1-v1.9 are working up to v1.0 final - not v2.0

I hope I said this right - feel free to correct me if I am wrong

Either way - I'm praying for v1.0 on mine that will be here Wednesday....

Fwiw i just got one from PCNation last week and it's version 1.0. I don't pretend to understand why they worked backwards but I guess I don't need to. ;)

I finally pulled the trigger on one of these damn things.

Should be here by Wednesday at the latest. Thank god for tax refunds.

I actually talked to a Westinghouse customer service rep about the handshake issue, they said they are still working with Sony regarding this handshake issue as of just 1 week ago.

Also they said it is entirely on Sony's side (hdmi 2.0 not being backwards compatible or something), and Sony will be releasing a system update to patch it (or they are currently working on a system update to patch it)

This contradicts what I heard before from someone else, that Westinghouse has to send out someone to flash the firmware of your tv.....which one is correct? I dont know, but I want it freggin fixed already.
i havent seen a single person in this thread....nor am i aware of any way to flash your display...the hdmi issue with the ps3 is well documented as being a serious issue with the PS3...one of the reasons they continue to sit on store shelves

still looking for a canadian dealer. Still havnt found one yet that carries this monitor :(

Bahhh My hopes were set too high..

I'm coming to see that there are a lot of us Northerners looking for a local dealer. BestBuy is still carrying the LVM 37W1, with no public plans to carry the W3.

The instant they begin carrying it for a reasonable price, I'll have it. If not, I'll just be sad until some other model, by Westinghouse or other, comes out in a few years.

Well, good luck and if you find a source, PM me please. (Or just post it here...I'll most likely be following this thread until it dies.)

Westy only has to Upgrade the Monitor's Firmware if it's a Problem with the Monitor. The Problem is with the PS3 and the Westy is not the only Monitor/TV with Handshake issues currently. So therefore Sony has to correct the issue.

PowerDVD is telling me that the westy is not HDCP compliant through the DVI input. Does it have to be on DVI input 1? I have it on DVI-2 right now. Is there a display driver I have to download?

PowerDVD is telling me that the westy is not HDCP compliant through the DVI input. Does it have to be on DVI input 1? I have it on DVI-2 right now. Is there a display driver I have to download?

Put your computer on DVI 1. I have zero issues this way. I don't know about DVI 2. No special drivers are needed.

Still not working. PowerDVD reports Display Connection Type: Digital (without HDCP)

If anyone has a Conns in thier area, they have it for $999.

http://www.conns.com/new/show_product.php?isbn=4925

Conns return policy isn't that good, so I am going to see if BestBuy will price match. Doesn't Bestbuy do 110% pricematch? 10% being the difference of their price of 1499, and Conns price 999 ($50) would be $949 + tax (1,027.30). I am going to make some calls tommorrow.

I want to try before I commit. I would rather walk into the store and buy instead of mail order since an RMA really could be a nasty experience doing Mail order. I can buy it at Mwave for $1,024 shipped if I want to go mail order.

Also, I called about my Visa card, and they will automatically double the warranty to 2 years. Not sure how good CC companies are about it since I have never tried, but it does give me some free piece of mind.

Back