Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Is there a solution the power saving bug this display seems to have?

Connected to my XP box via DVI, it power saves correctly the first time. However after recovery from the power save state, the next time it enters the power save state, the display fails to turn off its back light.

If I manually power the display off and then on, it will power save correctly for one time then repeat the pattern.

Just keep the remote handy, when your comp turns off, press the DVI button and the monitor will display 'no signal' and enter power save mode.

Hi Guys

I have an LVM-37W3 and it seems that any input aside from HDMI and DVI1 look horrible.

Text is not crisp, colors look over saturated, grainy and whites are very overpowering. When I first got the monitor a year ago my 360 via component was fine. I eventually moved to HDMI but 8 months later every other input aside from HDMI and DVI1 look horrible.

Ive tried playing with sharpness/hue/reset/factory reset, etc but cant get a decent picture. This is with the 360 or hdtv receiver hooked up.

Firmware version is 1.1

Any ideas? Thanks

Those other inputs are going to look pretty crapy in general. The Westinghouse is a budget TV so it doesn't have a good internal video processor to upconvert/convert lower resolution or analog video. Digital inputs like HDMI or DVI are different because it doesn't need to do any work as long as you give it the native resolution. It also makes a good PC monitor because it doesn't try to do any processing of the video or contrast enhancements like some other TVs.

I've had the 37W3 for almost 2 years now and need to send it in to get fixed (I believe a power inverted died on it). I'm going to ask for a 37W3 back, but I figure I might get a 37W3SE back. Do the 37W3SE's still have firmware related issues?

I use mine with a PC over DVI, X360 over DVI, and PS3 over HDMI. I believe I'm going to lose a DVI port right?

Ive heard the warranty though Westinghouse is weaksauce. Does anybody know of a company that will insure this monitor? I see that buy.com has an option to get an extended warranty with "warrantech" but a quick google showed some not-so-good reviews.

There is always the mack warranty. Somewhere over at avs there is a thread about the mack warranty. I think you get it through tapeworkstexas.com

Ive heard the warranty though Westinghouse is weaksauce. Does anybody know of a company that will insure this monitor? I see that buy.com has an option to get an extended warranty with "warrantech" but a quick google showed some not-so-good reviews.

when my 42W1 died they actually just up and replaced it (via best buy).. i was actaully pretty happy about that.

I am a little worried, I currently only have two DVI-D Digtal cable that looks like
dvi_ds.gif

Will these cables work?

that is just a single link DVI-D cable.. will work fine..

at least the one i use on my 37w1 works fine..

Okay I got mine today and it works BEAUTIFULLY.

Only complaint is I cant seem to do HDMI and DVI in a Picture in picture mode. Is it not possible?

It looked like it could take component cables, would that look like crap compared to HDMI?

congrats vashy.. i know my 42TX wont' do PiP.. but my 37W1 will do pip from any source.. (but i ony have 2 dmi's no hdmis but shouldn't matter)

I also cannot use any two digital inputs for POP. Only digital + analog. I'm 100% satisfied with my order though. The input lag is only 1ms higher* than my 19" widescreen TN panel!

* 13ms vs 14ms. Only tested through Rock Band 2's auto calibration. I tried it multiple times with each to make sure.

I just noticed I don't have as many ports as listed on the website or what you guys say... Anyone else notice this?

I have

1HDMI
1 DVI
SVIDEo +AV
Audio Out
Service port
VGA + Audio
2 YPBPR

Yeah I only have one DVI instead of the two listed. I'm guessing that's for the older revision?

just checked westinghouse's website, it lists only one as supposed to be on there, i guess it was changed. time to complain a buy.com because it says two.

I just noticed I don't have as many ports as listed on the website or what you guys say... Anyone else notice this?

I have

1HDMI
1 DVI
SVIDEo +AV
Audio Out
Service port
VGA + Audio
2 YPBPR

The 37W3 has an extra DVI port (W/O HDCP). The 37W3SE does not have this.

Whoa, haven't posted here in a while :D

So I updated my gaming rig with an MSI 4870 1GB and am moving my x1900xt over to another system. I hooked up the 4870 with HDMI to my 37w3 (few years old now) and I've got just a little bit of overscan on the left hand side, maybe 5 pixels, with a black border also about 5 pixels wide on the right-hand side. After mixing & matching different cables & adapters, I've found that the same overscan happens on HDMI and DVI2 using either video card (and also my Powerbook), but both work fine with appropriate 1:1 pixel mapping if I use DVI1 (the connector I've used fine for years). This was all at 1920x1080. I don't see anything in the monitor's menu or in Catalyst control center that would explain this...any ideas?
I want to be able to switch back and forth between inputs with several computers running, but I've only got 1 digital input that works perfectly, apparently :confused:

you're going to have neck problems having to look up that much at a 42" screen :)

your eyes should be level with the upper 1/3rd of the screen.

42" as a pc monitor?

a little overkill but this is the hardforum lol

I'm still debating on getting this or a 28" LCD. Hope BF brings something so I can put this to rest.

Anyone know of a nice PC desk for this 37" 1080p westy and a 24" LCD as dual monitor setup?

It can be a corner mount or flat wall mount... doesn't matter. I just don't like the keyboard slide-out tray that has a small width. If it's a slide-out, it's gotta be wide enough for a keyboard AND plenty of space for my mouse.

I'm willing to pay whatever I have to, but I just can't find the right desk! :(

Anyone know of a nice PC desk for this 37" 1080p westy and a 24" LCD as dual monitor setup?

It can be a corner mount or flat wall mount... doesn't matter. I just don't like the keyboard slide-out tray that has a small width. If it's a slide-out, it's gotta be wide enough for a keyboard AND plenty of space for my mouse.

I'm willing to pay whatever I have to, but I just can't find the right desk! :(

Check this website out: http://www.computerdesk.com/default.asp

a used jerker or galant on craigslist is the way to go. don't worry if u can't find any right away someone will be selling one ;)

Wow i just googled those desks. they're nice! I can find them @ ikea too?

sup godman! :p The Jerker is discontinued (hence the CL rec), and the Galant is typically expensive. Though, I am selling a couple jerker tabletops in my FS thread. ;)

My mom has the same monitor as me, and I tried something different with hers. I used a Vika Amon table (w/ Vika Curry legs), but for the monitor, I put it on a LACK shelf (wall mounted; extra support from adjustable curry legs). So, the desk is in front of the LACK shelf, giving her more than enough distance. I like it, and plan to do the same setup for my place. I'm currently using a jerker (which will be for sale soon, lol).

sup godman! :p The Jerker is discontinued (hence the CL rec), and the Galant is typically expensive. Though, I am selling a couple jerker tabletops in my FS thread. ;)

My mom has the same monitor as me, and I tried something different with hers. I used a Vika Amon table (w/ Vika Curry legs), but for the monitor, I put it on a LACK shelf (wall mounted; extra support from adjustable curry legs). So, the desk is in front of the LACK shelf, giving her more than enough distance. I like it, and plan to do the same setup for my place. I'm currently using a jerker (which will be for sale soon, lol).

Vika Amon? another one from ikea?

This has been my daily use monitor since it came out and I have been very pleased with everything in regards to it. I came from 3 21" CRTs.

whats the best price on this monitor currently? I'm looking to upgrade from my soyo 24" ...would this be a good bet or should i go with a 30" that offers higher resolution?

Go with a 37" and don't look back. It'll be nice to still be able to play video games at the same FPS you're getting now vs. half that with a 30" and higher res.

Have had my 37w3 for 2 years now. Still love it, although... I've got some odd kind of stain thats seems to be creeping in from the right border..now several inches in.. weird. Like something has gotten in between the layers or something.

It has been a great disply though, although sometimes, I wonder if say in wow, I'm loosing out on paying attention to some stuff..becasue as a Holy Pally, I get fixated on health bars..and becasue the dispaly is so big...I miss things. May scale back to a 30" next... not sure.

Westy's aren't still available new are they?

and on the desk front..I found one of the last Jerker's that existed from Ikea..had to even pay a concierge service in san diego to go to the store and ship it to me as Ikea would"t ship it to me! see my review about 200 pages back...LOL

Yes, you can still get them new from some places.

The lowest I've seen was $500 or whatever it was on Woot.

Back