Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

I have been looking for bigger monitor, currently own Dell 2704 WFP-HC. I see a lot of people said that the picture looks great and great for gaming. My question is, if I buy this monitor, it will mostly be for work (I work at home). So I need a very sharp text and high quality color for my work on photoshop. My 2407 HC is pretty decent in term of text sharpness, and color matching after being adjusted. Will this match the 2407 HC? Or gets pretty close? better?

I am currently considering the Dell 3007 HC, but I can get 2 of these for the price of one of the 30 in Dell.

Thanks
Chris

I have been looking for bigger monitor, currently own Dell 2704 WFP-HC. I see a lot of people said that the picture looks great and great for gaming. My question is, if I buy this monitor, it will mostly be for work (I work at home). So I need a very sharp text and high quality color for my work on photoshop. My 2407 HC is pretty decent in term of text sharpness, and color matching after being adjusted. Will this match the 2407 HC? Or gets pretty close? better?

I am currently considering the Dell 3007 HC, but I can get 2 of these for the price of one of the 30 in Dell.

Thanks
Chris

I actually have the 2407 and had purchased the Westy a year ago from costco and ended up returning the Westy. The 2407 had much better contrast, colors, and black levels. I didn't like the washed out Westy and 37" was too large for a computer screen on my desk. I had to turn my neck to see everything and it gave me eye strain.

I'd be more inclined to go for the dell 3007 but I game and don't want the lag. I've been leaning more towards the Doublsight 26" or Planar IPS screens but haven't made the leap until I see a good deal.

I actually have the 2407 and had purchased the Westy a year ago from costco and ended up returning the Westy. The 2407 had much better contrast, colors, and black levels. I didn't like the washed out Westy and 37" was too large for a computer screen on my desk. I had to turn my neck to see everything and it gave me eye strain.

I'd be more inclined to go for the dell 3007 but I game and don't want the lag. I've been leaning more towards the Doublsight 26" or Planar IPS screens but haven't made the leap until I see a good deal.

See, I was the opposite. Even after calibrating my 2407, it was washed out. Blacks on my Westy look great. Though it's time to downsize and get rid of this computer (and use the westy for consoles only now, and movies).

I'm still on the fence, i have the Dell 24" and like it @ 1920x1200 but just cant seem to convince myself to go to 1080p for gaming, maybe i just need to see it to make that decision.

Daily, 2~3 hours, alot of TF2 and FPS stuff. No consoles, that is on my 60" plasma. This would be strictly for pc gaming. I cant says the price is high as $600 is great for a step up from 24" to 37".

well I have been back and forth on both. The 24 inch I like as its overall the resolution as my work setup, but for me I have a 360 and pc hooked up to my 32 inch 1080p LCD. I have considered the 3008wfp but its like 1600 more.

Comparing a 24" to a 37" for gaming.....holy crap, there is SO much difference!

My next "computer" display (when this westy wears out) will DEFINITELY be a "large" format, whether it be a 37" or even a 42", at 1080p. It's just fuckin' wonderful, text is sharp, games are awesome, it's a true multimedia display for me. There simply is no contest.

I just took advantage of this deal and ordered this 37" westy. I had and still have the same concerns as you other 2407 owners. I bit because of everyone's raving about this monitor and because I want to enjoy 37" of gaming goodness. However I'm worried that my 2407 is going to have an overall better picture quality. Also coming down to 1920 x 1080 from 1920 x 1200 is annoying me lol. I know its a small difference but it's a peeve. :)
That 1 poster above has me a lil nervous when he said he went back to his 2407 because of the washed out colors and bad black level. Err if I'm not totally happy I will use this in my bedroom as a tv only. The only use for this will be my pc to game on and maybe cable hd in my office.

Just hope I didn't make a mistake since I've always been a quality over quantity person. We'll see.

I just took advantage of this deal and ordered this 37" westy. I had and still have the same concerns as you other 2407 owners. I bit because of everyone's raving about this monitor and because I want to enjoy 37" of gaming goodness. However I'm worried that my 2407 is going to have an overall better picture quality. Also coming down to 1920 x 1080 from 1920 x 1200 is annoying me lol. I know its a small difference but it's a peeve. :)
That 1 poster above has me a lil nervous when he said he went back to his 2407 because of the washed out colors and bad black level. Err if I'm not totally happy I will use this in my bedroom as a tv only. The only use for this will be my pc to game on and maybe cable hd in my office.

Just hope I didn't make a mistake since I've always been a quality over quantity person. We'll see.
I'm very close to pulling the trigger however, I too am worried about black levels and color reproduction. The TX-42 I used as a monitor for a little while had decent black levels and colors for a budget tv but nothing to write home about. I could definitely live with the black levels and colors if they're the same as the 42 but if they're worse (Since this is an older model) I don't know if I could handle it.

Trust me you will enjoy this. I traded in my Dell 24 inch for this and to be honest 1920x1200 vs 1920x1080 is very hard to notice any differences. They are just too close resolution wise.

I have had mine for over a year now and it had been an incredible experience. First I only gamed on it but now I play movies and streamed HD content off it as well and it does that pretty well also.

But for gaming it has been great. I have had no problems with colors, black levels, lag, ghosting or anything. It has been solid from day one. Most people seem to have also had a positive experience and yes before I bought it I read this ENTIRE thread. That took almost an entire day LOL

Your most important issue is to make sure you are sitting far enough away from this monster. Too close and you will not only notice eye strain, you also will not be able to see the entire screen at once and will find yourself moving your head around as you look at the screen. I am now at about 3 feet from the screen and that's the sweet spot for me.

I think you will be impressed with the quality of this monitor. Enjoy!

Do you think a little more than two feet away is still too close?

I just went downstairs and broke out the tape measure for you. :)

For about 5 months I was at 26 inches away and I thought it was too close. If I gamed for long periods I would get a head ache. Then I went out and bought a new keyboard tray and installed it as close to the end of the desk as possible. This extended me to 36 1/2 inches away when sitting forward (farther if I lean back in the chair) and now I don't have any more problems and I also don't have to move my head either.

So I think 2 feet is too close, but in this thread I have read people saying they didn't have a problem at 2 feet. I did though.

I also use this to surf and sometimes type. When using it for desktop applications I turn the backlight down to zero and ramp it up to 80-100 for gaming and 40 for movies. It works well that way.

Trust me you will enjoy this. I traded in my Dell 24 inch for this and to be honest 1920x1200 vs 1920x1080 is very hard to notice any differences. They are just too close resolution wise.

I have had mine for over a year now and it had been an incredible experience. First I only gamed on it but now I play movies and streamed HD content off it as well and it does that pretty well also.

But for gaming it has been great. I have had no problems with colors, black levels, lag, ghosting or anything. It has been solid from day one. Most people seem to have also had a positive experience and yes before I bought it I read this ENTIRE thread. That took almost an entire day LOL

Your most important issue is to make sure you are sitting far enough away from this monster. Too close and you will not only notice eye strain, you also will not be able to see the entire screen at once and will find yourself moving your head around as you look at the screen. I am now at about 3 feet from the screen and that's the sweet spot for me.

I think you will be impressed with the quality of this monitor. Enjoy!

The more I read about this panel the more I think you are right. Thanks for the insight. :)

Oh 1 question. As I was sifting through that long ass thread I came across someone who posted a diagram of the inputs on the back of the westy. I saw quite a few DVI ports and it had me a lilttle confused. On my 2407 I run dvi out from my 8800gtx to the DVI port on the 2407 thats it. I'm pretty sure it's DVI-D, although I havent looked back there in a long time. So I noticed DVI single and dual etc etc..I had planned on using my dell dvi cable and just hooking up the westy. Is this a good idea? Should I buy a new cable? Also whats the difference between those different dvi inputs, I've never seen so many lol.

Oh 1 question. As I was sifting through that long ass thread I came across someone who posted a diagram of the inputs on the back of the westy. I saw quite a few DVI ports and it had me a lilttle confused. On my 2407 I run dvi out from my 8800gtx to the DVI port on the 2407 thats it. I'm pretty sure it's DVI-D, although I havent looked back there in a long time. So I noticed DVI single and dual etc etc..I had planned on using my dell dvi cable and just hooking up the westy. Is this a good idea? Should I buy a new cable? Also whats the difference between those different dvi inputs, I've never seen so many lol.

I can't answer your cable question, but but the different DVI inputs (total of 2) allow you to have to active DVI signals running into it at once. You can have your PC connected, and then connect another device (say your TV). Then, you can do your PC stuff and have your TV running in the PIP. (Of course you probably wouldn't run TV through a DVI, but you could, or run a console, or a second PC and switch between the two).

+1 for this monitor. I bought it back when this thread was.. in the 50's? I don't remember. It's a great monitor. It's suffered from some minor bleeding, but that was my fault for not turning it off when I left (and the screensaver didn't kick on... grrr). Even with that, I still enjoy it. After gaming on this beast, I don't think I could go any smaller. My tiny monitor at work makes me cringe every day when I sit in front of it. I'm contemplating getting a second one. I have no doubt 2 Westy's would look really nice on my 4870 X2.

I just went downstairs and broke out the tape measure for you. :)

For about 5 months I was at 26 inches away and I thought it was too close. If I gamed for long periods I would get a head ache. Then I went out and bought a new keyboard tray and installed it as close to the end of the desk as possible. This extended me to 36 1/2 inches away when sitting forward (farther if I lean back in the chair) and now I don't have any more problems and I also don't have to move my head either.

So I think 2 feet is too close, but in this thread I have read people saying they didn't have a problem at 2 feet. I did though.

I also use this to surf and sometimes type. When using it for desktop applications I turn the backlight down to zero and ramp it up to 80-100 for gaming and 40 for movies. It works well that way.
Thanks for your help. I used to get sick gaming with the 42" at about a foot and a half after just ten to fifteen minutes of gaming so this is what worries me. I'd be sitting at about 26" away as it turns out so I don't know if I should. I think the majority of people using this at 2ft don't get motion sick with tvs but I do sadly.

The furthest I'll be able to place mine when it comes is about 2-3 ft hope that is sufficient. I like to game on a DESK not on the couch/bed...

I got a jerker lol i think...some long desk...not so much deep as it is long(63) and about half that deep.

I did feel a little uneasy for about the first week, then my eyes adjusted
Well, that's good to know. Hopefully it won't be a problem for me. I'm still a little on the fence but much closer to committing now. Have any of you been able to compare this display to the w2408h? I love the colors and contrast on my HP and am worried that the trade-off for size will be image quality loss due to the matte screen.

On a side note, do you guys think that the Frederik is strong enough to fit a 37" Westinghouse? I know it's wide enough but I'm also worried if it'll be deep enough to position it at a good distance. What do you guys think?

On a side note, do you guys think that the Frederik is strong enough to fit a 37" Westinghouse? I know it's wide enough but I'm also worried if it'll be deep enough to position it at a good distance. What do you guys think?

Strong enough? maybe. Deep enough? Nope.

Well i pulled the trigger on it, can't wait to see it on my desk late next week... Going from a 24" Dell will be a BIG change...

You guys use this on a desk as a monitor? lol mr magoo.

Well i dont have a typical computer desk. I have a very large cherry wood & wrought iron leg kitchen table as my gaming center. I have room for everything i need and the monitor will mount on the wall giving me even more desktop space and a good 4' from me for my viewing pleasure... Will include pics after it's installed.

I ordered this display on Monday because of the Buy.com deal- it's currently scheduled for a Friday delivery.

Are there any particular settings that work good for this Westy using the built-in options? I plan on using this for gaming with my 360 and PS3, and will not hook it up to my PC.

Also, what video output settings do I need to set on my PS3 and 360 so that they work best with this display? I hear that 1080i doesn't work well with it, but does this mean I have to make any changes to the settings the consoles automatically pick?

I'm about the pull the trigger on this. I just got a Sceptre 32" 1080p but it lags in games. I'm about to sell the Sceptre and get this but I don't want to be disappointed. From what I've seen this one looks great.

I'm about the pull the trigger on this. I just got a Sceptre 32" 1080p but it lags in games. I'm about to sell the Sceptre and get this but I don't want to be disappointed. From what I've seen this one looks great.

From what I've heard, this monitor is fantastic for PC and console gaming, great for movies, but only average for TV viewing. Perfect for me, in other words, since I don't watch much TV and stream/upscale movies from my PS3.

From what I've heard, this monitor is fantastic for PC and console gaming, great for movies, but only average for TV viewing. Perfect for me, in other words, since I don't watch much TV and stream/upscale movies from my PS3.

That's exactly what I'd be using it for. I might watch a dvd here and there but it'd mainly be a monitor.

I wish I didn't get the 32" Sceptre it sux.

can someone who has calibrated his monitor please post the settings, I am having a really hard time getting the right colors.

please???

I think I ordered one. I hate ordering stuff from Buy.com..... after I clicked submit order it took me to a page saying that I had it in my shopping cart. They tried selling me 3-5 day shipping for 'only' $200 more lol.

Is there a solution the power saving bug this display seems to have?

Connected to my XP box via DVI, it power saves correctly the first time. However after recovery from the power save state, the next time it enters the power save state, the display fails to turn off its back light.

If I manually power the display off and then on, it will power save correctly for one time then repeat the pattern.

Back