Google Pixel 3

Glad I went for HTC U12+

This phone just isn't worth it for what it is.

Good news for those who had doubts about the display quality this time around.

Too bad the screen is ruined by that hideously large notch.

Why is the pricing higher than my 2 XL a year ago ? It's just the annual hardware upgrades all next gen phones get. That shouldn't cost more.
They should be selling Pixel 3 for $599 and Pixel 3 XL for $699. Any more and it's outrageous fir what your getting.

Heck the Nexus 6P was $499, and it had the current best Snapdragon processor for it's time, and the best RAM for the time. And it had the latest Samsung AMOLED display, and one of the top camera's for it's day, all for five hundred bucks.

Today these companies are fleecing us, and laughing as they gouge us more and more each year. Soon phones will be starting at $1,500 for the regular versions, and $2,000 for the top end

Why is the pricing higher than my 2 XL a year ago ? It's just the annual hardware upgrades all next gen phones get. That shouldn't cost more.
They should be selling Pixel 3 for $599 and Pixel 3 XL for $699. Any more and it's outrageous fir what your getting.

Heck the Nexus 6P was $499, and it had the current best Snapdragon processor for it's time, and the best RAM for the time. And it had the latest Samsung AMOLED display, and one of the top camera's for it's day, all for five hundred bucks.

Today these companies are fleecing us, and laughing as they gouge us more and more each year. Soon phones will be starting at $1,500 for the regular versions, and $2,000 for the top end

Here in Australia 1500 is the price for the regular and 2000 is the price for top end hahaha. (note quite for P3, but for iphones it absolutely is).

Should I mention that the RTX 2080 Ti by comparison comes in at over 2 grand? :p.

I agree though. The new Nokia x.1 plus line ups look like great 'nexus-like' phones for good prices.

Last edited:
The new Android One phones seems more exciting to me. Best bang for your buck. $300 to $500 or so for a phone running stock Android, and these lower powered Snapdragon processors aren't that bad.

https://www.android.com/one/

Nokia 7.1
https://www.nokia.com/en_us/phones/nokia-7

LG G7 One
https://www.lg.com/ca_en/cell-phones/lg-LMQ910UM2-g7-one

These are pretty snazzy phones, for a fraction of the cost of these insane $1,000 flagships.

$349 for the Nokia brings back memories of the OnePlus One just with a better camera.

How much is the G7 One supposed to be?

I like Android because I don't like the limited ecosystem of Apple.

I have to wonder why people covet Pixel phones when they often share similar gripes people have with iPhones. (No expandable storage, no headphone jack, proprietary features, etc...)

Still Pixel phones are quite good, but I wonder why people just wouldn't get the real thing as opposed to an Android "iPhone"

$349 for the Nokia brings back memories of the OnePlus One just with a better camera.

How much is the G7 One supposed to be?

I don't think it's been officially announced yet, but it's supposed to be in the "affordable" pricing range, but with some good specs, SD835, 4GB RAM, IP68, and 2-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC, up to 7.1 channel audio sound with DTS:X

Notches on phones are not ideal to me, but whatever they are not the end of the world either, the ones on like the Essential, and OnePlus 6 and iPhone X aren't too bad, I can live with them, and they don't look to pronounced or anything.

But man the Pixel 3 XL notch, really is bad, and I didn't think I would make a big deal bout it, but watching a ton of YouTube videos of people playing around with the new 3 XL, and the notch is comically large, and dips down way too low into the screen, and is extremely noticeable. Whereas on the iPhone X it's there, but not screaming loud in your face it's there, but the 3 X, holy cow, the notch is frigging huge, and distracting looking. And I am a bigtime Nexus / Pixel nerd, I love the stock Google phones, but F me, the notch is killing me on the Pixel 3 XL.

Look at this video, and tell me the notch isn't ugly as sin;

Pricing seems a bit high? This is comparable with flagship phones from the Samsung and Apple- unlike the S9 which was released awhile ago, the 845 in the Pixel is hardly new- I can hear the arguments now “but the S9 is still $$$!” except that there are BOGO deals or considerable discounts already available, something you’ll never find for a Pixel.

I’ve always wondered why Google always does mid-cycle releases of new hardware- sure, there are some new cool tricks, but the underlying processor and such is already getting dated.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=pixel 2 xl&sort=rel

Used Pixel 2 XL's selling for like $550 to $600 on CL. But Google only offering $325 to $400 as trade-in value.

Plus the 3 XL already being priced outrageous near $1,000 is insane.

This is tempting me to an iPhone XS Max, and not a fan of iOS.

Honestly I used to be biased against apple. But android just never feels smooth for whatever reason and apps just don't accelerate the same. I am not even kidding this is after trying over and over with android and I keep going back to iOS lol. Plus google just pisses me off each time they release pixel xl. I feel like it is the least inspiring phone out of all androids. Camera is great, software is decent but oh that design. They managed to make it even worst this year.

I have to wonder why people covet Pixel phones when they often share similar gripes people have with iPhones. (No expandable storage, no headphone jack, proprietary features, etc...)

Still Pixel phones are quite good, but I wonder why people just wouldn't get the real thing as opposed to an Android "iPhone"
Because Samsung's TouchWiz is ultra shitty and no one trusts Chinese companies on cell phones in America (unless it's flagship and cheap). LG phones loses value quickly and HTC phones aren't available to purchase through carriers' no extra paperwork necessary installment plans.

Looks like Verizon is running a BOGO on the Pixel 3. $799.99 in credits over 24 months.

From the email:

"Up to $799.99 device payment purchase req’d per phone. 2nd phone: Less $799.99 promo credit applied to account over 24 mos. w/in 1–2 billing cycles; promo credit ends when balance paid or line terminated/transferred; 0% APR. New line of service req’d".

https://chicago.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=pixel 2 xl&sort=rel

Used Pixel 2 XL's selling for like $550 to $600 on CL. But Google only offering $325 to $400 as trade-in value.

Plus the 3 XL already being priced outrageous near $1,000 is insane.

This is tempting me to an iPhone XS Max, and not a fan of iOS.
Why? Why do you feel the need to upgrade if you have a 2 XL? Upgrading to a 3 from a 2 will not change anything but empty your bank account. Unless you break your phone or have some kind of issue with it. It is a pointless upgrade. This why companies keep rasing the price. People have the need for having the latest and greatest all the time. I honestly would of still been happy using my 6P if I didn't break it. Should of save the $500 and got another 6P instead of a 2xl.

Under TMo jump on demand, getting the latest and greatest often don't cost you a penny more than what you are already paying.
Why? Why do you feel the need to upgrade if you have a 2 XL? Upgrading to a 3 from a 2 will not change anything but empty your bank account. Unless you break your phone or have some kind of issue with it. It is a pointless upgrade. This why companies keep rasing the price. People have the need for having the latest and greatest all the time.

Why? Why do you feel the need to upgrade if you have a 2 XL? Upgrading to a 3 from a 2 will not change anything but empty your bank account. Unless you break your phone or have some kind of issue with it. It is a pointless upgrade. This why companies keep rasing the price. People have the need for having the latest and greatest all the time. I honestly would of still been happy using my 6P if I didn't break it. Should of save the $500 and got another 6P instead of a 2xl.

You are asking Zorachus why he needs to upgrade his phone? Zorachus upgrades, downgrades, and side-grades his phones based on a whim.

Looks like Verizon is running a BOGO on the Pixel 3. $799.99 in credits over 24 months.

From the email:

"Up to $799.99 device payment purchase req’d per phone. 2nd phone: Less $799.99 promo credit applied to account over 24 mos. w/in 1–2 billing cycles; promo credit ends when balance paid or line terminated/transferred; 0% APR. New line of service req’d".

When I preordered yesterday from the google store they offered the same through Fi too.

I'll be switching from iPhone 7 on Verizon to Pixel 3 on fi. Have to get 2 so this is a pretty great deal. First time off iPhone since literally the iPhone 1. XS prices are insane.

Under TMo jump on demand, getting the latest and greatest often don't cost you a penny more than what you are already paying.
Yeah but you just keep paying the monthly fee. Which is $35+ extra month for these phones now. I rather just keep my phone for as long as possible and not pay the monthly fee after 2 years. Sure if you have the money to burn then go for it but I see too many people at work getting brand new iPhones while collecting entitlements.

Not sure how he would be using JoD on a phone that's not offered through T-Mobile though. JoD is pretty much only good for the few iPhones, Samsung, and LG phones that are offered from T-Mobile, which is why it never really appealed to me much.

People love the vanilla Android OS is why. I am a huge fan, I do not like most of the GUI and add ins on other phones. Pixel also gets updates and patches as soon as they are available, because its pushed by Google, not through a carrier. And they promise so many years of supported updates for them, something that has always been hit or miss with others, and at times can take months or years after the update it out, assuming it's ever pushed out by the carrier even if the MFG has the update available. For me, it was the camera, as it's heavy used for work, lack of 3.5mm makes me mad, I can live without expandable storage, but would be nice.

I want a phone with the Pixel OS, the camera from the P20 Pro, 3.5mm and DAC from the LG V40, along with its SD slot, support and OS updates of Apple and I would be happy. I have used iOS, and its not the same as vanilla Android. I have thought about going back to Apple, for the simple fact that is what my company issues and everyone uses, I just dislike the OS that much.

I've nearly paid off my Pixel 2 XL from getting it back in April, but unless Google offers previous Pixel 2 buyers a decent trade in promo or or coupon like they did Nexus buyers, I don't see the incentive whatsoever to upgrade to the 3 XL; it certainly isn't worth the $500+ difference (from the laughable current trade-in value on the 2 XL) they're offering or even a $300+ difference if I sold it privately. I don't care whatsoever about wireless charging, the SoC bump is pretty negligible in real world use, no extra RAM, no better battery life/capacity (highly doubt it's going to be beating the 6-7.5 hours SoT I routinely get over a 24+ hour period), ugly notch that pretty much negates the extra display space, and most (if not all via XDA if not Google) of the software perks/upgrades will still come to previous Pixels. I already have the new camera APK sideloaded on my phone and it's much better in terms of UI even if it is copied from Apple, but none of the extra features other than adjustable portrait mode focus/effect are there yet.

The only real tangible hardware upgrades here are the speakers (which I would really like, but the 2XL's have been good enough for me too), wireless charging (which I don't care about), and better selfies (which, again, I don't care about).

Zorachus, using this link return to Phone Arena via your PC browser to process a side-by-side and a layered comparison of the two phones. Use your credit card to calibrate your screen with their sizing wizard. These screenshots are what I saw for the two views. Hope that helps to answer your question.

444.png
new.png

Last edited:
So, without reading, does the new Pixel 3 XL do 4K@60FPS?

I kinda sorta looked, watched videos, etc but saw nothing on this.

I have a brand new Google Pixel 2 XL ... if I could get $550 for it, I would drop another $250 for the Google Pixel 3 XL ... maybe

Not sure how he would be using JoD on a phone that's not offered through T-Mobile though. JoD is pretty much only good for the few iPhones, Samsung, and LG phones that are offered from T-Mobile, which is why it never really appealed to me much.
but he said he wanted an iPhone XS Max in the last line he wrote...

So, without reading, does the new Pixel 3 XL do 4K@60FPS?

I kinda sorta looked, watched videos, etc but saw nothing on this.

I have a brand new Google Pixel 2 XL ... if I could get $550 for it, I would drop another $250 for the Google Pixel 3 XL ... maybe
Sorry, no 4k@60fps.

Lewis Hilsenteger calls out to Google to change the implementation of the notch.

Was very tempted to get a iPhone XS Max through my carrier T-Mobile but a couple of things that phone is like $1,200, so like $350+ or so more than the 3 XL and i just can never get comfortable with iOS. I love the design and hardware of the iPhone XS Max, looks great, screen ratio is superb, no bottom chin, just a futuristic super cool looking phone. Last iPhone I had was the 7 Plus, and after a few months was itching to get back to a stock Google phone.

Maybe iOS 13 with the rumored UI revamp will do the trick ? When Apple brings out the beta next summer, at that time I may look for good deals on the XS Max, if there is indeed a new UI and iOS overhaul, which I'm thinking there's a very good chance of that.
Until then I just prefer to have the newest best stock Android phone

Any way to restore the navigation buttons along the bottom of the 3/3XL screen or has Pixel gone all gestures like iPhone? My 2XL has been going through random restarts (again). If I have to send it back (again) I might opt for the 3XL.

I'll be going with the Pixel 3 I think, but I'm going to wait until Black Friday to see what deals or bundles show up. LG may be a possibility with the G7 One but their build quality scares me.

Any way to restore the navigation buttons along the bottom of the 3/3XL screen or has Pixel gone all gestures like iPhone? My 2XL has been going through random restarts (again). If I have to send it back (again) I might opt for the 3XL.
That was my concern too Commander. I spoke to two Google CSR's yesterday and went as far as saying I would like a definitive answer from someone in addition to what information may be in their CSR reference book. After being placed on hold the CSR said he obtained a definitive answer that the on screen navigation icons will be an available option.

Let 's also hope that Google rectifies the implementation to hide the notch so that the status icons become embedded in the blacked out notch, as Lew requested in his video.

Last edited:
I switched to Apple after being upset with Android/Samsung and their constant delays/bloatware and phones that would slowdown after awhile. However, I'm not stuck to Apple and would definitely switch back given Google Assistant is much much better and it seems Android has caught up to Apple as far as application performance/options.

However, I'm stopped by the current items:
1) Google's opt out of designing/producing their own smartwatch. The Apple Watch is amazing, and it'd be hard to leave Apple without a good alternate solution. It was rumored they'd produce one but now they're stating they're going to focus on Wear OS and help third party companies. From what I've seen of third party smart watches, no thanks.
2) Google's push to implement a Chinese search engine. This kind of goes against a lot of what I personally believe would be a bad idea of bad ideas. I understand the monetary benefit but just think this goes against a lot of what their principles are/used to be. Just bugs me.

Anyone else?

I switched to Apple after being upset with Android/Samsung and their constant delays/bloatware and phones that would slowdown after awhile. However, I'm not stuck to Apple and would definitely switch back given Google Assistant is much much better and it seems Android has caught up to Apple as far as application performance/options.

However, I'm stopped by the current items:
1) Google's opt out of designing/producing their own smartwatch. The Apple Watch is amazing, and it'd be hard to leave Apple without a good alternate solution. It was rumored they'd produce one but now they're stating they're going to focus on Wear OS and help third party companies. From what I've seen of third party smart watches, no thanks.
2) Google's push to implement a Chinese search engine. This kind of goes against a lot of what I personally believe would be a bad idea of bad ideas. I understand the monetary benefit but just think this goes against a lot of what their principles are/used to be. Just bugs me.

Anyone else?

Those are things that give me reason for pause, even if I know a Google-made Chinese search engine wouldn't necessarily make repression any worse. It's just regrettable knowing how hard Sergey Brin fought against censored material in China for ethical reasons.

On the watch front, it's a bit sad. Wear OS is struggling primarily because Google only ever puts in a half-hearted effort to support Android on any device that isn't a phone. You only get major software revisions once in a blue Moon, and it doesn't push companies like Qualcomm to deliver meaningful CPU updates in a reasonable time frame. Apple arguably has the better smartwatch platform as it is, but it's winning in part because it's the only one who showed up to race. Google, it seems, is content to saunter.

Back