Google Launching A Tablet Too?

HardOCP News

[H] News
An "anonymous" executive from Asustek has supposedly confirmed that Google is launching a tablet soon.

Google Inc will soon unveil a tablet co-branded with Taiwan's Asustek Computer Inc and priced to compete with Amazon's Kindle Fire device, an Asustek executive said on Wednesday. Amazon's Kindle Fire, which runs a version of Google's Android operating system, sells for $199. Through it users can access Amazon content including books, music and video.

I wonder what they're going to use as a launch device or platform and how far it will go before hitting the ground after launch.

Yes they are. It's a very bad ass tablet. It comes out in July. Tegra3 quad core, 8GB w/ memory slot, had camera, touch to pay, etc. And it's only $199. It's basically going to destroy anything out there that's 7". Made by Asus and no doubt sold at a loss through Google. I will have one for damn sure no questions asked

the Nexus Tablet.. held off buying the new transformer waiting for it... if half the rumours about it are true it's gunna be a beast.

Here are the specs. Android 4.1 Jelly Bean operating system. Tegra 3 SoC, 8GB or 16GB of memory, and a 1280×800 resolution IPS display. The hardware will be in a 7-inch form factor and will run $199 for the 8GB version and $249 for the 16GB version. Wi-Fi and NFC support. Camera. Also mention of 9 hours of battery life. It's supposedly a re-branded Asus Eee Pad MeMO 370T.

Here are the specs. Android 4.1 Jelly Bean operating system. Tegra 3 SoC, 8GB or 16GB of memory, and a 1280×800 resolution IPS display. The hardware will be in a 7-inch form factor and will run $199 for the 8GB version and $249 for the 16GB version. Wi-Fi and NFC support. Camera. Also mention of 9 hours of battery life. It's supposedly a re-branded Asus Eee Pad MeMO 370T.

That's pretty cheap for a tablet.

Other rumors say kindle will be bringing the kindle fire 2 to the party at about the same time. Will be interesting to see what they've been able to improve on in the last year and how the two devices compare.

As a canadian, don't care about fire 2 since amazon never bothered to bring fire here...

Google has already said Nexus7 will be available in canada at the same time as US, and since both run android I can bet people will port the fire apk's across

Hmm... A bit off topic but since people started talking about Kindle Fire.

All I want is color eInk. :(

Color eInk might be dead now as so many tablets are on the market now... Ahh, the shiny priorities. :(

but does the nexus 7 have an SD card slot. $50 for 8gb of flash memory seems a bit excessive when a high performance 8gb SDHC card is about $20.

WOW ... did you see the Google Q? Might be bad ass as a media hub and I can control it from my phone? Hell yes.

but does the nexus 7 have an SD card slot. $50 for 8gb of flash memory seems a bit excessive when a high performance 8gb SDHC card is about $20.
I don't think it's equitable to compare flash memory to even the highest performing external card.

More fucking tablets. Wonderful.

The same "me too" thing happened with netbooks, except most of those were actually sort of useful even though newer laptops now offer just as much battery life and lots more performance. Even Google got on the netbook thing with their Chromebooks (I'd still love to figure out how to get XP on one of those) so selling their own tablet isn't a huge shock.

If the internal storage is as good as the galaxy nexus's which is very fast no sd card is gonna come close.

The same "me too" thing happened with netbooks, except most of those were actually sort of useful even though newer laptops now offer just as much battery life and lots more performance. Even Google got on the netbook thing with their Chromebooks (I'd still love to figure out how to get XP on one of those) so selling their own tablet isn't a huge shock.
But the thing that makes the Nexus 7 different is that it is a very capable tablet for only $200. Look at the Nexus 7 specs versus the Kindle Fire. Competition is good for anyone. Frankly, I don't like tablets much either, but when tablets with specs like this sell for $200, it gets me interested. Here's another confimred link if you want look up on it.

For $199, I think I may actually bite on one of these. Those are some killer specs for the price IMO.

But the thing that makes the Nexus 7 different is that it is a very capable tablet for only $200. Look at the Nexus 7 specs versus the Kindle Fire. Competition is good for anyone. Frankly, I don't like tablets much either, but when tablets with specs like this sell for $200, it gets me interested. Here's another confimred link if you want look up on it.

It's got great specs and, I agree, is very competitively priced among alternative devices. In my case (which isn't fair to apply to everyone else) I'd prefer to either spend ~$350 to wrap my hands around something bigger and hotter like all 15.6 inches of a laptop which I can use to do a lot more stuff or spend a little less to get something smaller like, the 4 inches of Samsung Galaxy Player so I can stick it just about anywhere I want without it bursting out of my clothes with unsightly bulges or requiring a "special" bag just to hold it so it's safe to use it. There's nothing wrong with people that like tablets, but if it's going to take both hands to control it, I wanna go really, really big. I don't mind if it hurts a little when I have it because it's so large so gimme all 15+ inches and let me alone.

that looks dang good, think I might bite on this, too

The no SD card slot is almost a deal breaker for me :( The 16GB one might do the trick though (I rarely use my 8GB SD Card in my Thrive).

Not that I need a 7" tablet again anyway...I have my Thrive and my e-ink Nook glow for reading. But I miss my 7" Nook color - it was a cargo-pants-pocketable device.

For $199, I think I may actually bite on one of these. Those are some killer specs for the price IMO.

Yeah, I'm quoting myself here, but since I can't edit on the front page, this was the easiest way to add to my thoughts.

I just read that the Nexus 7 does NOT have a SD slot. That is a deal breaker for me. Perhaps if it was 32gb for $249, I'd forgive them. But 16gb max with no possibility to expand is a no-go. Oh well.

I bought a 16gb micro sdcard for my captivate two years ago when they were $100 bucks and I don't think I've ever put something on it. There was a short time when cyanogenmod wasn't handling the internal and external cards correctly and I had to start using the external. then it took a dump on me so I RMA'ed it. when it comes back from RMA it'll go into my dSLR.

I don't get the concern over external sdcard slots. do you actually run out of room and carry a bunch of cards around to deal with the situation?

I bought a 16gb micro sdcard for my captivate two years ago when they were $100 bucks and I don't think I've ever put something on it. There was a short time when cyanogenmod wasn't handling the internal and external cards correctly and I had to start using the external. then it took a dump on me so I RMA'ed it. when it comes back from RMA it'll go into my dSLR.

I don't get the concern over external sdcard slots. do you actually run out of room and carry a bunch of cards around to deal with the situation?

Agreed. I just bought the 16GB just to be safe as I'm going to China later on and I need some content for the plane ride. And most of the time where I'm at I have Wi-Fi so I can just stream music/netflix anyway.

Lack of SD card slot kills it for me. Come on Google, so close.

Lack of SD card slot kills it for me. Come on Google, so close.

That's a good thing to point out. Seriously, if someone like me gets one of these, I'd be standing there with it in one hand and the SD card in the other asking out loud, "Where am I supposed to stick it? I can't find the slot!" for a good twenty minutes at least. What a mood killer. :(

:mad:Why does it cost an extra £40 for an extra 8GB of Flash, when Flash < £1/GB?

:(Tell them to stop messing about and give 32GB for £150!

Can people really tell me what they are using 16/32GB SD card slots for? I'm genuinely curious.

If I'm going to load up movies I'm going to downscale them to the screen size so it's not like I'm loading 5GB blu-ray rips...... :confused:

Can people really tell me what they are using 16/32GB SD card slots for? I'm genuinely curious.

If I'm going to load up movies I'm going to downscale them to the screen size so it's not like I'm loading 5GB blu-ray rips...... :confused:

It is nice to be able to just copy content without any transcoding directly to something. I copy HD TV shows from shows recorded in Windows Media Center to my SD cards all of the time. For most people and for what this device is for lack of an SD card isn't a big deal, it just limits it's usefulness for some.

It is nice to be able to just copy content without any transcoding directly to something. I copy HD TV shows from shows recorded in Windows Media Center to my SD cards all of the time. For most people and for what this device is for lack of an SD card isn't a big deal, it just limits it's usefulness for some.

Ah that's what I figured the issue was. I just couldn't imagine someone copying 32/64GB of music and realistically listening to all of it.... :D:p

I think some people want to use their phone like an MP3 and video player, as well. External SD card slot isn't so much of a big deal as long as there is an SD card slot.

same here. Having 16GB on my iPad has never been an issue for storage.

If I want to watch a movie or something, I use netflix or XBMC. I don't think I've ever run into a situation that made me wish I had an SD card slot.

Old News?

I remember hearing about a Nexus Tablet targeting the October 2012 timeframe several months ago.

If I want to watch a movie or something, I use netflix or XBMC. I don't think I've ever run into a situation that made me wish I had an SD card slot.

Same here.

After using my iPhone for 2 years I still have not filled up its 16GB internal storage (that being said, I never sync any media to it from iTunes). I use Spotify and very rarely Netflix for my mobile media.

I'm probably getting a Galaxy S3 next, and it has a MicroSD slot, but I have no idea if I'll ever even use it.

Zarathustra[H];1038878619 said:
I'm probably getting a Galaxy S3 next, and it has a MicroSD slot, but I have no idea if I'll ever even use it.

What I meant to add though, is that it adds some peace of mind to have the option to expand,
but I don't know if I'll need it.

Well if you're traveling a lot, it is nice to have a few SD cards loaded with stuff. I don't have to spend a whole night thinking about what shows/movies/books/etc. I want to take and then actually spend all that time copying them to the tablet. I just keep 3 cards full of stuff in my luggage and update the contents every few months.

Back