Google Buys Ad To Explain Offensive Image

Oh give me a break. Bush was called a fucking monkey daily, and nobody shouted racist all over the place. Get your panties out of a bunch please.

you really don't see the difference...? seriously...? the history of black people being referred to as being lower on the evolutionary scale, as being closer to monkeys, apes, other primates, etc., based mostly on their appearance is very prevalent in racist theories and comments, therein lies the difference in this debate on whether calling GW a monkey is the same as calling a black person a monkey...

Everyone was oppressed at some points of history. Blacks does not have a monopoly on it. I love all people equally, but I wish some of you guys would let go of the past and shut the fuck up about it.

Here's my take on it: people who cries "Racism!" are the real racists. They can't think of any other arguments or lack a humorous cell in their body that it has to automatically be racism. Lighten up. I'm sure Chris Rock, Richard Pryor and Bill Cosby agrees with me.

I'm deaf. At several point in history we were considered possessed by the devil at birth and should be put to death. Do I care? Fuck no. Am I possessed by the devil? Well um.. that's none of your goddamn business ;-)

you really don't see the difference...? seriously...? the history of black people being referred to as being lower on the evolutionary scale, as being closer to monkeys, apes, other primates, etc., based mostly on their appearance is very prevalent in racist theories and comments, therein lies the difference in this debate on whether calling GW a monkey is the same as calling a black person a monkey...

GW Bush has Irish heritage.

The Irish were compared to moneys long before the blacks.

Where are all the Irish blubbering about how offended they are? Oh wait, they grew a spine.

Where are all the Irish blubbering about how offended they are? Oh wait, they grew a spine.

No its the whiskey. Dont try and agrue with pesky facts and history though. No one wants to hear that blacks were not the bottom of the barrel during the industrial revolution. They may actual have to stop bitching and take responsibilitie for there actions.

you had to go into a science magazine to find Irish people compared to monkeys in an obscure article that probably 99% of people have never heard of...? lol, yeah, that's REALLY common, mainstream even, the average person on the street definitely has heard that one...

I'm 40, my mother is Irish and I've never heard that one, seriously dude, you're reaching...

calling black people monkeys is an openly integral part of racist propaganda from established racist organizations, walk any street and ask people the question "are white Irish people or blacks referred to as monkeys as racial slurs more often...?" good luck with your results...

dont need to apologize, your spot on cannon

Racism exists because the minorities won't let it go. I don't know anyone that was a slave, do you? But I have lost a job before to a person (not black btw, but another race) because I was white and they needed more non-white empoyees. Only way we get rid of racism is to get rid of all treatment towards any one race, I didnt get extra money when I went to school because I was white, but black kids and indian kids and hispanic kids all got more than me (with lower grades I may add), and they were all my age, non were slaves or what not, they all were just kids like me that went to public schools and then tried to go to college. How is that fair, isnt that racism?

Get rid of all benefits for each race, and then racism will be nothing more than just a word

I'm sorry, but that is a ridiculous argument. Racism does NOT still exist because MINORITIES won't let it go.

Are you kidding? No, seriously...

Put aside COMPELETLY the job issue. Pretend that there was never any civil rights legislation or affirmative action. Racism is and would still be perpetuated by the need for people to stereotype those who do not look like them and/or share their particular ethnic or cultural heritage.

Prejudices and biases against certain traits or characteristic, whether they be physical or culturally based, are given legitimacy and power by groups of people who have political and social power. That power is often used either purposefully or unwittingly to hold back, or oppress in some way (sometimes in multiple ways), those whom the prejudices and biases are directed toward.

To the poster above, please don't try and compare "the Irish" or "the Italians" to what is still happening today to people of color and ethnic minorities. At least not in the US. The The "Irish" were not dragged here in chains as slave labor. The Irish were not hung from trees for sport, dragged to death, or raped on a regular basis in the south as recently as the 1960's in America--with only a legal system to turn to that either enabled or turned a blind eye to such events. The "Irish" didn't have to use designated washrooms and waterfountains, or sit in the back of the bus as recently as the '60s in America. While there may still be some elderly folks who harbour those old prejudices against "the Irish" or "the Italians," there are very few if any power structures that fuel, perpetuate or validate them in any way shape or form in the present day. Those that do are dying out. The world is a bigger (and smaller) place than it used to be in the minds of most and many of those prejudices have literally been buried or erradicated because of intermarrying and family blending. How many American families now can truly say that they are ethnically pure through and through? Not many, if any. That will only be more true in the future.

Racism in its current form may one day be gone from our planet, but it may only go away due to a few potential factors--and it will take a lot more time. It is definitely generational. As our societies become more tolerant and open with each generation, as our little planes of existence expand and meld with others, as the world we know actually becomes a smaller and more cohesive place with education, interaction and access we might be becomes less of a living dichotomy of haves and have-nots.

Prejudice will never be gone because we're human beings and that's a part of what we are. It's all about what we do with those prejudices and how we treat people that will always make the difference. That's why people take offense. That's why when one group of people is oppressed or has a history of being oppressed they take offense. This isn't the same as telling a "potato joke." What that picture is trying to do is say that the First Lady is less than human. A person who is the First Lady of a country that has a long and storied history of racism and oppression of black people. Oppression that has taken that exact and particular form time and time again over centuries. If you don't see a problem with that, then I actually just feel sorry for you...

This woman is the very first person of African decent to hold the office of First Lady of the United States of America. The very first black person to live in the White House who didn't work for somebody else as a slave or as a servant. It's a massive change that most of the rest of world is able to appreciate. It says a great deal about how much progress a country like the US has been able to make in just over 2 centuries of existence with as tumultuous a racial history as ours. It says a great deal about what this country is capable of doing--capable of becoming. Americans should take offense at that image--despite the fact that we do not criminalize those who would create such because we do believe in the freedom of speech and expression. It saddens me that not more of us are offended.

Our belief in free speach doesn't mean that there are things that we shouldn't take offense at or that shouldn't disturb us. We shouldn't let anger or fear stop us from recognizing the difference between right and wrong. We all still do that too often. Myself included...

Sorry, end of rant.

you had to go into a science magazine to find Irish people compared to monkeys in an obscure article that probably 99% of people have never heard of...? lol, yeah, that's REALLY common, mainstream even, the average person on the street definitely has heard that one...

You mean the obscure multi-page article in Scientific American? Racism against the Irish isn't much older then racism against Blacks. In fact, blacks were often called "Smoked Irish" to imply they were just as bad as the Irish.

So what is the threshold for allowing racist humour? How many generations do we have to wait until people take some fucking responsibility for their own actions instead of blaming everyone else?

How about Jews, when are we allowed to make Jew jokes? They've been treated worse then blacks for THOUSANDS OF YEARS, yet I see jokes targetted at Jews (and laughed at by Jews) constantly.

You know, this is all funny to me. People keep talking about slaves and slavery as a reason for this and that. Can anyone on this board remember slavery? Can anyone name someone who was a slave? No? Then why does it matter now? Yes I know it is important to remember our past so we do not repeat it, but that does not mean we wallow in it and use it as an excuse.

Another little interesting point to make, where do you think the early slave traders got the slaves? Here is a hint for you, they didn't track them down in the jungles. Most slaves where sold to slavers by rival tribes or African slave traders. Another little interesting fact, did you know from the 16th to 19th centuries pirates used to sale European slaves to the Africans? Ummm I wonder what color they where? People who claim that because there ancestors where slaves entitles them to something should really look at history. Everyone can point to something in the past that happened to (insert race, nationality, sex here), unless you lived it personally, you need to suck it up and drive on.

*Yawn*

I'm showing my ignorance? Last time I checked the Irish (Who believe it or not, are white) were called just that. Hell, even one of the major science magazines (I'll look it up later) published an article a good hundred years ago speculating on the less-evolved Irish and how they were closer to apes then other whites.

Here's a hint. Pretty much every grouping of people you can possibly think of has been discriminated against. I have a grandparent who spent a year of his life at Auschwitz, and he still cracks holocaust jokes. The difference is that he isn't a giant blubbering vagina crying that life didn't hand him everything on a silver platter.

Your ignorance is astounding.

I have relatives (one of whom only died recently) who were in World War II as well as in concentration camps... guess what, I don't go blubbering about how unfair life is that my grandparents had such a hard time and that I should have things handed to me on a silver platter either.

Hell, my grandfather was on the beach in one of the first waves on D-day and still would laugh at some jokes about WWII (he's the one who passed recently). He didn't cry out "How dare you belittle my sacrifices!" when he saw Call of Duty come out or feel offended.

Life's not fair, get over it and make the best that you can of yours... seriously, slavery was what, 100+ years ago where no one alive today was enslaved or had parents who were for long if at all? I have to agree with the comment above about how "racism" exists because people just don't let go of the past. Heck, when I was a kid I didn't even know anyone thought differently ever between races, the concept only entered my head when we had a class in history about "Diversity" :rolleyes: in 5th grade.

How about Jews, when are we allowed to make Jew jokes? They've been treated worse then blacks for THOUSANDS OF YEARS, yet I see jokes targetted at Jews (and laughed at by Jews) constantly.

Okay, let's compare apples to apples.

In propaganda about Jews that was rampant in Germany, they were caricatured as being rat like with huge beak like noses, etc.

Is it, in your mind, acceptable to caricature a prominent Jewish person today (Joe Lieberman for example) in such a manner?

If the answer to the above is no, then how can you justify characterizing a black person in a manner used similarly in the US against a race that was permitted to be owned as property for hundreds of years?

The sooner minorities let this go the better. I dont like the President or the first bitch because of there politics. The more minorities wallow in there self hatred the more it helps reenforce the fact that others are better than them. It is there problem not mine. Get over it. I

Another little interesting point to make, where do you think the early slave traders got the slaves? Here is a hint for you, they didn't track them down in the jungles. Most slaves where sold to slavers by rival tribes or African slave traders. .

Not to mention the fact salvery still is happening right now in Africa and some middle east nations.

I have zero patience for those screaming about slavery when 78-80% of the US population arrived after slavery was abolished.

Only people who can't let it go are screaming about racism, grow up.

You mean the obscure multi-page article in Scientific American? Racism against the Irish isn't much older then racism against Blacks. In fact, blacks were often called "Smoked Irish" to imply they were just as bad as the Irish.

So what is the threshold for allowing racist humour? How many generations do we have to wait until people take some fucking responsibility for their own actions instead of blaming everyone else?

where did I ever say racist humor shouldn't be allowed...? people have the freedom to do almost anything they choose, but to try to debunk things that are known commodities is silly, racism exists, yes, saying something to someone can carry with it different reactions than it would if said to another person of a different racial makeup, are you admitting the picture was racist...? those were your own words, "racist humor"...

if you're so convinced that Irish people are called monkeys as racial slurs as much as black people, seriously, ask the question I posted to your friends and acquaintances and you may be surprised at the disparity between what you think because of that article and the responses you actually receive, that is if you really believe that or were just trying to argue a point, because as a racial slur, simian representation is almost exclusive to the black population of the world...

I don't cry racism about everything, though it does exist, imo it's overblown and many, many people try to take advantage of that fact, but I can definitely understand why a picture of a black woman's head with a monkey face photoshopped onto it would be considered racist given the history of simian representation of black people...

unless you lived it personally, you need to suck it up and drive on.

so unless you were a slave you can't claim racism exists...? that approach is...well...just...different...I was never a slave, so if someone calls me a gook, chink or slant I shouldn't be offended...? I should just "drive on" and chalk it up to that person just being mean and not to them being racist...? because racism is now dead and a non issue because slavery happened long ago, right...?

Why?

Because I use logic and reality to form my opinions?

Why not a prosecutor? Are they not supposed to use the same logic and reality?

Because you reach too much to form your so-called logic. You pick the flimsiest ground and build around it to support bullshit.

You polish turd.

Caricaturing Mrs. Obama as a monkey =/= caricaturing George W. Bush as a monkey.

If you think otherwise, you are simply not very intelligent. I won't rehash what has already been said about using monkey as a way to imply African Americans are sub-human, but the fact that you ignore all of that, somehow claiming that this is "reverse racism," is simply mind boggling.

In any event, lock this thread, please.

Caricaturing Mrs. Obama as a monkey =/= caricaturing George W. Bush as a monkey.

If you think otherwise, you are simply not very intelligent. I won't rehash what has already been said about using monkey as a way to imply African Americans are sub-human, but the fact that you ignore all of that, somehow claiming that this is "reverse racism," is simply mind boggling.

In any event, lock this thread, please.
If you are so offended, rather than demanding the thread to be locked, how about you just leave the thread?

Because you reach too much to form your so-called logic. You pick the flimsiest ground and build around it to support bullshit.

You polish turd.

Little clue for you: Your inability to comprehend logic does not equate to an absence of logic.

Everyone was oppressed at some points of history. Blacks does not have a monopoly on it. I love all people equally, but I wish some of you guys would let go of the past and shut the fuck up about it.

Here's my take on it: people who cries "Racism!" are the real racists. They can't think of any other arguments or lack a humorous cell in their body that it has to automatically be racism. Lighten up. I'm sure Chris Rock, Richard Pryor and Bill Cosby agrees with me.

I'm deaf. At several point in history we were considered possessed by the devil at birth and should be put to death. Do I care? Fuck no. Am I possessed by the devil? Well um.. that's none of your goddamn business ;-)

You know, I'm a 100% with you on this one.
I didn't saw anyone outraged when the democrats bashed Sarah Palin with demands that would had made Alaska go broke hadn't she resigned. What they are is a bunch of whiners with no real strength and nothing to give to humanity but cheating to get where they want to be. Bunch of hypocrites.

No its the whiskey. Dont try and agrue with pesky facts and history though. No one wants to hear that blacks were not the bottom of the barrel during the industrial revolution. They may actual have to stop bitching and take responsibilitie for there actions.

And the funniest part is that Barrack Obama said it. According to him all that real Africans need is finantial resources. But I wonder, why is it that all the charitable help and live Aid haven't worked for the past 150 years? That's right, must Africans are still in the age of Iron, with tribal warmongin. Only with modern weapons financed by those who think that are actually helping them. My own grandpa who was an African American saw it with his two eyes. Whoever tries to refute that can go to hell.

Different reason...

Although I was surprised why no one ever offered him a bottle of whiskey or vodka.

pic

michelle-obama.jpg

Honestly as a white guy I do not really see that as racist IMHO. Michelle Obama isn't the prettiest black woman out there and while she does not look flat out ugly she is not that good looking either, just different. If anything I see that pic as taking a jab at that because that makes her look like an alien species in star trek or something.

michelle+obama.jpg

Now...how many of you wouldn't mind getting some of this

halle-berry-lingerie.jpg
That and Tyra.

You really just don't get it do you?

Here is why there is a difference.

For more than 200 years, white people subjected blacks to slavery, ever since, they've been subjected to racially loaded attacks. In American media, apes, baboons, etc. were used for decades to depict black people as a whole. Derogatory terms like "ape", "coon", "porch monkey", etc.have been used by racists for decades towards black people.

There is no such history referring to white people in the same context. None.

You can attempt to twist out from under that all you like, but you can't erase history.

When you compare a white person to a chimp, you merely compare that individual to a chimp.

When you compare a black person to a chimp (or any other type of monkey), you carry along hundreds of years of such comparisons and their racial roots against an entire race, not a single individual.

It's that simple.

Like I said, you can try to twist out from under that, but unless you can erase hundreds of years of history, you're just showing ignorance.
While all that you say it's true you're missing a point. 200 years is horseshit compared to what the Romans, Mongolians,Chinese and Russians have done to other countries, but then again you don't see those victims whining and complaining. The only reason you whine is because in the first place you were allowed to by some whites that gave you freedom. Or are you forgetting there was a civil war because of that?
The second reason you whine is because it gives you an advantage to solve problems otherwise would be harder to solve. And that's because you were allowed by regretful whites who saw slavery as a horrendous thing. In the end, the idea of racism as a good thing to exploit slaves or as a bad thing as a realization of what actually is came from the white people and from a Christian philosophy. Or have you forgotten Thomas Jefferson trying to free his slaves and failing miserably? As long as you carry that around as a card under your sleeve you'll never get over it or is it that you've seen that whining about racism has made racism less popular with those who are? And those who aren't would simply respect you less, it won't matter if you're a black whining about racism or a white whining about racism. You're still whining.

If you are so offended, rather than demanding the thread to be locked, how about you just leave the thread?

This thread was about Google taking out ads to respond to patently racist images, and devloved into some bullshit about slavery, and deserves to be locked.

Yup, because to this day, people that were attacked and dominated by folks from Rome and points west of there just LOVE them . . you know, like the people in the Middle East who were massacred in huge numbers at the best of the Vatican. They just LOVE their oppressors now.

Your ignorance of history is astounding (as is your assumption that because I am able to logically evaluate the situation, I must be black) . . . little hint for you, I'm not black, not related to any black people, I just know history.

While all that you say it's true you're missing a point. 200 years is horseshit compared to what the Romans, Mongolians,Chinese and Russians have done to other countries, but then again you don't see those victims whining and complaining. The only reason you whine is because in the first place you were allowed to by some whites that gave you freedom. Or are you forgetting there was a civil war because of that?
The second reason you whine is because it gives you an advantage to solve problems otherwise would be harder to solve. And that's because you were allowed by regretful whites who saw slavery as a horrendous thing. In the end, the idea of racism as a good thing to exploit slaves or as a bad thing as a realization of what actually is came from the white people and from a Christian philosophy. Or have you forgotten Thomas Jefferson trying to free his slaves and failing miserably? As long as you carry that around as a card under your sleeve you'll never get over it or is it that you've seen that whining about racism has made racism less popular with those who are? And those who aren't would simply respect you less, it won't matter if you're a black whining about racism or a white whining about racism. You're still whining.

Yup, because to this day, people that were attacked and dominated by folks from Rome and points west of there just LOVE them . . you know, like the people in the Middle East who were massacred in huge numbers at the best of the Vatican. They just LOVE their oppressors now.

Your ignorance of history is astounding (as is your assumption that because I am able to logically evaluate the situation, I must be black) . . . little hint for you, I'm not black, not related to any black people, I just know history.

There's a saying "those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat them". It doesn't say "those who knows their history should live in the past".

You didn't replied or contradicted my argument. You are just expressing your opinion. I wonder why Italy has so many tourism then and its praised as the greatest of all empires while I see whiners like you all around?I wonder why? Must be because you are irrational. Thank you for proving my point. With your attitude as Azhar says: You'll never get over it. The fact is whining in a forum is not gonna change anything. Whether you like my opinion or cannot reason about it is not gonna change anything either.Enjoy your time wasting in the forums.

All that said, pretty much anything that likens a black person to a monkey is racist, plain and simple. The people saying it's not reminds me of the guy from Clerks 2 trying to come to copes with reality.

Reminds me of something that happened a during the last election. There was minor elected official who looked out her window one day and saw a bunch of kids playing in a tree next to her house. Being nosey she went outside and told them to stop acting like monkeys and get out of the tree before they hurt themselves. They happened to be black. They ran home and one of them told their mom what happened. She called the police and they ticketed the the lady for $75 for disorderly conduct. Not only that, but being that she was a democrat, the Obama campaign "persuaded" her to step down from her position so as not to impact their chances of winning.

I wonder why Italy has so many tourism then and its praised as the greatest of all empires while I see whiners like you all around?

This is a logical and grammatical nightmare, but it made me lol.

Italy = "so many tourism"; "praised as the greatest of all empires"' in spite of "whiners like you."

Sock it to 'em, Italy!

Woah, please don't bring your ignorance about the history of the middle east into this. I really don't feel like getting into it, but suffice it to say that you're completely wrong about that and totally missed the point of what he was saying.

What?

You didn't replied or contradicted my argument. You are just expressing your opinion. I wonder why Italy has so many tourism then and its praised as the greatest of all empires while I see whiners like you all around?I wonder why? Must be because you are irrational. Thank you for proving my point. With your attitude as Azhar says: You'll never get over it. The fact is whining in a forum is not gonna change anything. Whether you like my opinion or cannot reason about it is not gonna change anything either.Enjoy your time wasting in the forums.

I can't be bothered to feel offended for other people because of a simple picture.

Pathetic, in my mind, would be finding that image in any way offensive. Unless, of course, you're Michelle Obama.

x2

people need to lighten up. Life without humor is a very boring one... live a little.

x2

people need to lighten up. Life without humor is a very boring one... live a little.
x3

I LOLd, and I voted for Obama.

I love the internet. I love google. I love freedom of speech.

and... I love it when the first lady looks like a monkey. (couldnt resist)

Back