Gizmodo and Kotaku Staff Furious After Owner Announces Move to AI Content

AceGoober

Live! Laug[H]! Overclock!
https://futurism.com/gizmodo-kotaku-staff-furious-ai-content

"G/O Media, a major online media company that runs publications including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Quartz, Jezebel, and Deadspin, has announced that it will begin a "modest test" of AI content on its sites."

This should come as no surprise considering the push for AI controlled everything.

What I'm concerned about is who will fact check the AI to ensure the content presented is factual?

I've never viewed or read anything from these sites. And have no plan to.
I was searching for reviews of a monitor last night and one of the few I found was from Kotaku, so, with reservations, I clicked the link.

Half the article felt like it was whining about the monitor's trying to get you to install an app on your phone and maybe link to your computer as well so you could, I dunno, stream or something, but also so Samsung could eat all your data. Which was a useful warning, admittedly, but I used the word "whining" for a reason.

At this point it's too early.

I did see the slew of job postings on fiver-like hubs, where "publishers" wanted people who could churn out a thick stream of constant content with the help of "that bot".
I found it in poor taste and was low-key shocked that big wigs are 100% down to pull that crap off.

HOWEVER.

The newer generations of people might not be conditioned to automatically attempt to discern who or what they are communicating with.
With enough years of training, it's inevitable that some actual honest-to-God AI personalities will emerge, appear to be more than a simple collection of absorbed prompts.
Think - Geoff Peterson killing it over at Craig Ferguson's show by keeping up to speed with Steven Wright as guest.

So, yes - I do think this might eventually start to happen. There will always be suspicion about the men behind the curtain, but their ability to fully understand and affect the network won't have such a destructive/limiting effect.

But it is not this day yet.

None of these sites are on my regular rotation, but even so I do find this concerning.

I have seen the formulaic AI like drivel out there that just blasts out a bunch of words without saying anything.

I don't want more of it.

I foresee a useful browser plugin, one that filters out sites that use any AI content, in order to not waste time with drivel.

I was searching for reviews of a monitor last night and one of the few I found was from Kotaku, so, with reservations, I clicked the link.

Half the article felt like it was whining about the monitor's trying to get you to install an app on your phone and maybe link to your computer as well so you could, I dunno, stream or something, but also so Samsung could eat all your data. Which was a useful warning, admittedly, but I used the word "whining" for a reason.
That's what pihole is for. Once I installed mine it stopped a crap ton of calls to/from my TV. I do have to disable pihole if I want to add a new app to my TV but that's only for a minute.

That's what pihole is for. Once I installed mine it stopped a crap ton of calls to/from my TV. I do have to disable pihole if I want to add a new app to my TV but that's only for a minute.

I just refuse to plug in or connect any TV or other "smart" network enabled device to my wifi.

There will never be any smart device from any manufacturer on my network.

They can't be trusted.

I absolutely hate that you can't by a premium top end TV these days that doesn't come with stupid "smart" features. It forces me to buy shit I don't need or want.

I use my own devices that I have bult myself for content, and only use the HDMI in port on TV's.

And if certain things aren't compatible, that's fine, I just don't watch those things.

True, although I have no intention of installing their app.

I gather the G6 has Tizen on it and has apps like a smart TV, but I'll never use them. This was the first time I'd heard of it, though. I wonder if the higher-end models, the G7, G9, etc., do this too.

I need to set this up again.

I fucking hate that I get ads on my fucking TV menu.

I used to run it on some dog shit spare hardware I had sitting in an Amazon box in the corner of my room but I eventually retired it. Pi's were hard to get at that point in time and I never wound up replacing it like I wanted to.

https://futurism.com/gizmodo-kotaku-staff-furious-ai-content

"G/O Media, a major online media company that runs publications including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Quartz, Jezebel, and Deadspin, has announced that it will begin a "modest test" of AI content on its sites."

This should come as no surprise considering the push for AI controlled everything.

What I'm concerned about is who will fact check the AI to ensure the content presented is factual?
I'll be honest, other than Gizmodo, I've never heard of any of these and I've only heard of that in passing, probably here.

Who cares?

The fun thing is AI can’t report on current events, it can only regurgitate content that has been fed into it. So somebody would need to feed it an article so it could totally not plagiarize it and spit it back out.

All that does is turn them into even more of a clickbait farm because it can not write a conclusion it doesn’t already have.

And this is why one of the sticking points for the film/show writers is protection from AI, they see the forest through the trees. AI is going to make a lot of creative jobs obsolete, as an educator my biggest fear was "remote learning" where a school could cram 10x the students into a single classroom and have one teacher handle everyone with a few "cheaper" assistants to do all the busy work of grading and so forth, now I'm actually waiting for AI teaching, grading, the whole ball of wax.

The fun thing is AI can’t report on current events, it can only regurgitate content that has been fed into it. So somebody would need to feed it an article so it could totally not plagiarize it and spit it back out.

All that does is turn them into even more of a clickbait farm because it can not write a conclusion it doesn’t already have.
That what a lot of publication are they rewrite reuter-associate press cable, then less publication rewrite what those publication wrote.

Many webcontent was writing without a single phonecall/meeting with sources was made for it, all purely by reading the web like a message board poster could.

For example:
https://gizmodo.com/netflix-repetitive-ads-more-like-tv-shows-1850601889

And AI could also have read FT: https://www.ft.com/content/dc79eecf-ed3c-486a-8b89-60c67b6ff10a and rewrote it, could also connect it to previous relevant comparable and what not.

Last edited:
I mean they could be using AI tools to analyze games from different aspects, remove a bunch of tedium, and help actual writers to write better articles... but clearly those sites were already clickbait, now its just one step more automated.

Wa
That what a lot of publication are they rewrite reuter-associate press cable, then less publication rewrite what those publication wrote.

Many webcontent was writing without a single phonecall/meeting with sources was made for it, all purely by reading the web like a message board poster could.

For example:
https://gizmodo.com/netflix-repetitive-ads-more-like-tv-shows-1850601889

And AI could also have read FT: https://www.ft.com/content/dc79eecf-ed3c-486a-8b89-60c67b6ff10a and rewrote it, could also connect it to previous relevant comparable and what not.
Was that written with AI??

HOWEVER.

The newer generations of people might not be conditioned to automatically attempt to discern who or what they are communicating with.
With enough years of training, it's inevitable that some actual honest-to-God AI personalities will emerge, appear to be more than a simple collection of absorbed prompts.
Think - Geoff Peterson killing it over at Craig Ferguson's show by keeping up to speed with Steven Wright as guest.

So, yes - I do think this might eventually start to happen. There will always be suspicion about the men behind the curtain, but their ability to fully understand and affect the network won't have such a destructive/limiting effect.

But it is not this day yet.
Damn man, when is The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson going to come out on bluray or dvd even. BEST LATE SHOW EVA!!! The jimmy's can suck it.

https://vid.puffyan.us/watch?v=1aj_swRETHw

You that make fun of these people, your jobs are at stake too. Why can't people see the inevitable existential threat that AI poses. I don't get it.

Mine isn't. AI won't be climbing into air handlers.

Learn 2 code folks earned this outcome for mocking blue collar workers losing employment.
I'm actually getting my 608 universal right now so I can work on my own HVAC on my home and legally remove the r22 on my old units. I have 4 units and it's gotten far too expensive to pay labor and parts to other people. I hear ya and I can see what you mean! Great idea. Rich AI pimping tech tyrants gotta have working AC.

Mine isn't. AI won't be climbing into air handlers.

Learn 2 code folks earned this outcome for mocking blue collar workers losing employment.
When people think of jobs lost to automation, the first jobs they think that will be effected by this are blue collar workers, because it seems simple looking at it from the outside. White collar workers sit in front of computers all day, and all it takes is for creative coding to take those jobs away. You won't see your local mechanic worry about AI taking his job, but Kotaku staff that spew out nonsense sure do.

Back