Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Thread

My computer seems to "turn on" very slowly. I measured the time between pressing the power button and something showing up on the screen and it is around 13-15 seconds.

This is my first system build since 2003, but I am wondering is this typical? Because, it doesn't seem like it.

Mine loads to boot almost instantaneously and completes boot in under 10 secs. You probably have one of your bios config settings off.

My old gigabyte also booted quick.
 
Rev 1. Power to boot screen is under 1 sec. Boot to Windows boot is ~8 secs. I can reduce this with quick boot but I usually leave that off.
 
Rev. 1 for me at the moment. Since I don't currently have any SATA 6.0 Gbps devices, I disable that controller and the two extra SATA 3.0 Gbps ports, and use only the six SATA 3.0 Gbps ports controlled natively by the Intel ICH10R. I did leave USB 3.0 support enabled.
 
I was wondering if anyone could help me with audio out from this MOBO. I've tried 6 channel direct connect and optic and no matter what I do I can not get 5.1 sound to come out of my sound system. I thought that might be messed up but plugging the same optic cable in the same port I get surround sound from my Xbox. I've tried every driver version imaginable, configuration available in the control panel, and in the realtek software.

So I went to plan 2 - I did HDMI out to my TV from my 5850 and OPTIC from the TV to the Tuner and still no surround sound. I've tried everything I can think of. I've had surround sound from every form of Sound Blaster I ever bought and I'm starting to look at the PCI-Express SOund Blaster for $100. Anyways just looking for ideas. I tried every driver from the manufacturer for the ATI audio as well.

Just to reiterate - XBOX 360 surround sound works great - computer no control panel or media player will get me 5.1. Back in the day my Audigy 2 ZS (which I gave away 2 years ago) had no issues with surround. If the problem goes away with a new sound card and ditching trying the 5850 or onboard X58A-UD3R for audio I'm at the point I am okay with that.

Are you on win7??? If so then you need to right click on the volume symbol and select playback devices. From there, I believe you select optic out as the default system. I'd look right now, but my ps sems to be dying, ugghhh. Hope that helps.
 
What does coil whine sound like? Does anyone have a sound file?

I heard some high pitched noise earlier and while it sounded like it was coming from outside my window, I am just not sure. Haven't heard it since. :(
 
probably something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-qHudFBuXI

A capacitor whine

I don't think I have coil whine then, I heard the sound again and when I put my head under my desk next to my case, I didn't hear anything so it must have been coming from outside! That's a relief.

My sound was much lower and sounded more like an alarm, albeit a high pitched one (although not that high piched)
 
Could use some help/guidance as I am a bit new to all of this:

I just setup my system, and I am running Prime95 Blend right now.

i7 930 with stock cooling and MX-3
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 3x2GB

30 minutes in, I am getting the following temps:
Low: 44/40/43/40
High: 89/87/87/84

Are those a bit high? I loaded the BIOS with the load optimized defaults, and then turned on the XMP for my memory. I figure I need to reseat my heatsink, but does the auto settings for everything else affect this as well?
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1821/screenshot1la.jpg

Also, are my RAM settings being reported correctly (1/2 1600mhz)? Wasn't sure if this was correct or not.
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7049/screenshot2fo.jpg
 
Last edited:
I don't think I have coil whine then, I heard the sound again and when I put my head under my desk next to my case, I didn't hear anything so it must have been coming from outside! That's a relief.

My sound was much lower and sounded more like an alarm, albeit a high pitched one (although not that high piched)

what mouse are you using? some have been known to give off slight high-piched whines that some ppl never notice 'till they hold the mouse to their ear.
 
Alright, now that I am familiar with coil whine after doing some research, my rev 2 board definitely has it. *Sigh. What settings do I need to disable to make it stop?

Time to RMA back to Newegg!
 
I have a rev 2 board and i can confirm it also makes the whining noise when c1e is on.

The whining noise is more like hissing/scratching, screeching noise that pulses in the psu/area whenever there is intensive HDD activity such as watching a movie etc..

Turn off the c1e stops that noise.

But there is also another noise. A very high frequency but low sound coming from the underside of the board. I think i hear it near the psu power connection section of the board.

It is not as audible unless you put your ear near it.

==
I suggest we all send an email to GA technical.

The more people that complain, the more they will try to fix it.

After all they don't want to ruin their reputation like what happened with the seagate hdd firmware problems. Cos reputation and money are what business mainly care about.
 
I have a rev 2 board and i can confirm it also makes the whining noise when c1e is on.

The whining noise is more like hissing/scratching, screeching noise that pulses in the psu/area whenever there is intensive HDD activity such as watching a movie etc..

Turn off the c1e stops that noise.

But there is also another noise. A very high frequency but low sound coming from the underside of the board. I think i hear it near the psu power connection section of the board.

It is not as audible unless you put your ear near it.

==
I suggest we all send an email to GA technical.

The more people that complain, the more they will try to fix it.

After all they don't want to ruin their reputation like what happened with the seagate hdd firmware problems. Cos reputation and money are what business mainly care about.

I couldn't have said this any better. I really started noticing whine when I started copying files from my old system to this new system with the X58A-UD3R. And now I notice there's still a whine after all the HDD activity is done, but it is definitely worse during HDD activity.

I will try disabling C1E and will report back.
 
As I said ages ago, while this is a Gigabyte issue, it DOES depend on the power supply and you can fix it by switching to OCZ Z series (maybe others). Or you can get a different MB which I kind of wish I had.
 
Interesting developpement here : http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1426.msg9158.html#msg9158

looks like there is a new BIOS in beta for Rev.1 (version F6i)

But according to someone (onemilimeter on the giga-byte forum) it doesn't fixes anything, it only desactivate C1E but shows it activated in the BIOS screen. I hope this isn't true, it would be a cheap move from gigabyte.

And my hope for rev.2 is out :( I guess the only fix is really to disable C1E or to change the power supply :(
 
If that's true then I am probably buying a different brand of motherboard next time. Gigabyte, be warned! Screwing us over in power consumption is not acceptable!

They could disable C1E by default but let us enable it again, but it's still not acceptable to buy a motherboard that draws a notable amount more power than its competitors simply to allow for them to save a few pennies on cheaper inductors.
 
I have a Corsair 750TX.

Should I:

1) Return this to Newegg, suck up the 15% restocking fee and order another board (please give me board suggestions)
2) Change the power supply, (same, please give suggestions)
3) Hope that a BIOS update can fix this issue

I am sort of against #2, since I will have to rewire everything again. If #1 can anyone please provide suggestions for boards in the same price range that are as "good" as this Gigabyte board (i.e. same features) but doesn't have this stupid whine issue and better post times (my time to boot screen is like 14 seconds, and apparently that is average and acceptable for my BIOS settings).

Can a BIOS update even fix this issue?
 
Asus P5X58D series is the comparable one... I switched from Seasonic to an OCZ Z550 and I have zero noise now. I'm sure there are other PSUs that will not cause an issue with this board, but the Z550 is the one I have so it's what I keep recommending for people who are okay with changing PSUs. I doubt that a BIOS update can fix it without doing shady stuff like disabling C1E and thus making power usage higher.
 
Oh man, just ordered this board as a combo with a set of gskill ram off newegg a few days ago. Looked real promising until I stumbled accross this whining noise thing.

Biggest thing i'm worried about is, could this affect reliability? or worse, risk of damaging other components?
 
Oh man, just ordered this board as a combo with a set of gskill ram off newegg a few days ago. Looked real promising until I stumbled accross this whining noise thing.

Biggest thing i'm worried about is, could this affect reliability? or worse, risk of damaging other components?

What PSU are u using ?
 
Not sure yet, should arrive tomorrow and i'll let you know. Anything else you'd like me to check on once it arrives?

Whats your location ? Just want to cross-check which warehouse newegg picked from.

And please report to us as soon as you get it up and running with full load/overclock :D
 
As I said ages ago, while this is a Gigabyte issue, it DOES depend on the power supply and you can fix it by switching to OCZ Z series (maybe others). Or you can get a different MB which I kind of wish I had.

I went from a Antec 650 to the 850 made for my case (http://www.amazon.com/Antec-CP-850-Supply-Twelve-Hundred/dp/B001RTPLWK) and then switched on C1,2,3,4,56,7 (all of them) and no more whine.

I then built a 2nd comptuer for someone and went right with the 850 no whine at all.

I am now building a 3rd exact same, and expect no whine either.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My first 2 systems I built I got the combo deal but it was not a deal, that's just what I went with, and they work great. I even stuck all 12gb in one system too, and worked fine together.

3rd system I ordered the combo-deal from newegg.
 
for general info, I have :

rev. 1 board
antec truepower new 650w
gigabyte radeon 4870 512mb (dunno if gpu makes any diff, but it's there anyway)

and I have coil whine with C1E enable, but no coil whine noticeable at all (at least for me) with C1E disabled
 
Last edited:
for general info, I have :

rev. 1 board
antec truepower new 650w
gigabyte radeon 4870 512mb (dunno if gpu makes any diff, but it's there anyway)

and I have coil whine with C1E enable, but no coil whine noticeable at all (at least for me) with C1E disabled

That's what I had as far as power supply, and testing with C1E.
Went with bigger antec, and no more whine even with C1E enabled.
 
does Newegg ship out Rev 2 now?

if yes, I am going to bite the combo now..
 
Back
Top