• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Thread

The revision is still 1.0 for all boards.

Batch number is label on the box or board.
They are different to revision number.
Batch is to do with well the batch that the board came from during production.

People who are and are not getting the squeal plz post the specs and batch number info here thanks.
 
Last edited:
Sorry if I missed it in the 13 pages but how's the Corsair XMS3 Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D with this board? It almost sounds like the Corsair's are hit & miss with lots of misses.
 
Sorry if I missed it in the 13 pages but how's the Corsair XMS3 Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D with this board? It almost sounds like the Corsair's are hit & miss with lots of misses.

I have corsair's in the ud5 and they work great. The xms profile was not on by defualt but changing that in the bios brought up the profile and settings. Oddly this wasn't the rated specs, but I changed it and ran memtest and all was great.
 
I have corsair's in the ud5 and they work great. The xms profile was not on by defualt but changing that in the bios brought up the profile and settings. Oddly this wasn't the rated specs, but I changed it and ran memtest and all was great.

What about the UD3R or are they simular enough to have faith? I'm just asking because of an impending upgrade itch :)
 
What about the UD3R or are they simular enough to have faith? I'm just asking because of an impending upgrade itch :)

They are the same exact board and bios for all intents and purposes. A couple extra phase blocks, some better cooling on north bridge, and an extra lan.
 
What about the UD3R or are they simular enough to have faith? I'm just asking because of an impending upgrade itch :)

I will say that G.Skill Ripjaws series works great with the UD3R, I had better luck with the G.Skill than the Corsair. Plus the Ripjaws are great for overclocking.
 
My mobo is whining insane :( It is such a high pitch annoying sound.

What can I try to do before sending it back!?!?

GB X58A-UD3R mobo
Antec Truepower New 23552 TP-550 550-Watt
EVGA 9500GT MOBO
Intel I7-930
3x2gb G.SKILL Ram
80gb Intel SSD
640gb WD Black

No over clock at all.
 
Well disabling C1 in bios seems to have fixed it.
I wonder if my 550w is not enough or something.
 
Just ordered the Antec CP-850 made for my case, hopefully this will help some too and allow me to add more HDs in the future.
 
I can't tell if I have the same problem. My gf swears she can't hear it but it is like this loud, constandt but sort of oscillating high pitch noise. Can someon describe what they hear to me, I feel like I am crazy.
 
Last edited:
I can't tell if I have the same problem. My gf swears she can't hear it but it is like this loud, constandt but sort of oscillating high pitch noise. Can someon describe what they hear to me, I feel like I am crazy.

When I ran HDTUNE my dog could hear it 10ft away high pitch squeel.
Mine was actually audible in the headphones when I moved the mouse.
Now I can't hear it at all after disabling c1, etc...
 
Can anyone tell me what speeds they are getting with this motherboard for Raid0? I have a couple of Samsung F3 drives coming in soon and going to Raid0 them for Fraps.
 
Um, this is a CPU waterblock.. the one I posted was a northbridge waterblock. You really thought I was gonna put that thing over my CPU???

And I'd prefer a heatkiller over koolance garbage anyways.

I did even notice as I quickly glanced at it. No need to get all sore about it.. BTW koolance is far from garbage..
 
When I ran HDTUNE my dog could hear it 10ft away high pitch squeel.
Mine was actually audible in the headphones when I moved the mouse.
Now I can't hear it at all after disabling c1, etc...

Yeah, I found this too. I ran a boot time defrag and it made the most god awful noise. Did turning off your c1e fix that???

How much of a power hit does this cause???

Are all the boards like thi??? It is annoying to spend $250 on a board and have it make this ungodly noise, even if it is intermittant. I would return it, despite the fact I love everything else about it, if I didn't remove the upc for the MIR.
 
Not sure on power hit gotta find my kill-a-watt.
But yes, no more sound at all from system.

(You shouldn't defrag a SSD.)
 
Yeah, I found this too. I ran a boot time defrag and it made the most god awful noise. Did turning off your c1e fix that???

How much of a power hit does this cause???

Are all the boards like thi??? It is annoying to spend $250 on a board and have it make this ungodly noise, even if it is intermittant. I would return it, despite the fact I love everything else about it, if I didn't remove the upc for the MIR.

What is your full system spec?
Is this a design issue? or compatibility issue?
 
It's a known issue with the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R.
Google it as it seems many have the issue.

i7-930, 80gb intel ssd, 640gb wd black, antec 550w tru power, 9500 gt evga, cd/dvd burner

I purchased a new power supply to see if that can change anything heard some had luck... i`ll know this weekend.
 
It's a known issue with the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R.
Google it as it seems many have the issue.

i7-930, 80gb intel ssd, 640gb wd black, antec 550w tru power, 9500 gt evga, cd/dvd burner

I purchased a new power supply to see if that can change anything heard some had luck... i`ll know this weekend.

Can u please post the batch number of the board?
IT is not the version number, cos it is still 1.0.
Batch number should be in the serial number on the board...

can u please record the noise and the absence of noise with c1e fix and upload.
I want to hear how bad is it.
 
Last edited:
Can u please post the batch number of the board?
IT is not the version number, cos it is still 1.0.
Batch number should be in the serial number on the board...

can u please record the noise and the absence of noise with c1e fix and upload.
I want to hear how bad is it.

Where can I find the batch #?

You are in luck, I just got a MIC so I can work on this but it won't be today I have some work to do.
 
Where can I find the batch #?

You are in luck, I just got a MIC so I can work on this but it won't be today I have some work to do.

The batch number is in the serial number

xxxx-yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

xxxx would be the batch number. xxxx would be the year and the week it was made.
e.g 1024..means 2010 week 24.

Should give us an idea of which batches may have the noise.

Disabling C1e is temporary solution but is not good for our power use, and we shouldn't have to resort to such measures.
Also some ppl still getting the noise, despite doing it.

Wished GA would get off their butt and fix this problem.
Cos out of all the x58 boards, this is the best value.
==
If u want to embarrass GA then post it up on youtube :)
Might make them more motivated to do something.
 
Last edited:
Ya know I have a PC that whines terribly when the monitor is plugged into the vid card. If I disconnect the monitor no more whining. I assume a a capacitor somewhere. I have not heard any whining from my UD3R since the fans sorta drown out most noise withing a 5 mile radius.
 
After upgrading PSU re-enabling c1 (and also c5/6/8 or whatever the other one was), my whining sound is not heard. I`ll update if I hear it again.

Enabling these also dropped my core idel temps 7-10 *C.
So I can only conclude my power usage has dropped too!

HWMon shows my processor watts at 18-50 while browsing the web, previously it was a constant 150. So that's a nice savings in power!!
Probably less if I`m not typing or browsing too!
 
Just installed this board with an i7-930. The board for some reason wont take a multiplier of 21 x133 to get my correct 2.8. BIOS shows its set to 21, but after the restart post shows 22. CPUZ confirms this.

eh?
 
Just installed this board with an i7-930. The board for some reason wont take a multiplier of 21 x133 to get my correct 2.8. BIOS shows its set to 21, but after the restart post shows 22. CPUZ confirms this.

eh?

Yeah, mine is the same.
21 in bios, but in boot-up shows 22.

Stable, and low-temps so A-OK with me.
 
Yeah, mine is the same.
21 in bios, but in boot-up shows 22.

Stable, and low-temps so A-OK with me.

Agreed. Just wondering what the dealie is. Im on F4 BIOS. I hear there is a better beta bios that may fix that whine im hearing from board level components?
 
Ya know I have a PC that whines terribly when the monitor is plugged into the vid card. If I disconnect the monitor no more whining. I assume a a capacitor somewhere.

ARGHSDGHSFADFERWQHREWRIRJ

Read the thread. That noise is a coil.
 
Yeah, mine is the same.
21 in bios, but in boot-up shows 22.

Stable, and low-temps so A-OK with me.

I'm guessing this is turboboost. By default you'll see it add one multiplier at boot, and depending on your processor it may increase that multiplier if you are stressing only 1 or 2 cores.
 
Anyone seen a rev 2.0 of this board?

I saw it on official website, but nowhere else on sale..

I'm guessing this is turboboost. By default you'll see it add one multiplier at boot, and depending on your processor it may increase that multiplier if you are stressing only 1 or 2 cores.

thought that thing is BIOS setting that throttle the turbo boost..
 
i bought mine 3 weeks ago, it has no coil whine.

turbo boost is what makes the bios show x22 multi instead of 21, thats all it does. turbo boost is just a gimmick.
 
I'm not sure what you mean by gimmick; it actually does increase your multiplier by at least one over the stock multiplier when the processor is under load. Monitor CPU-Z and your CPU speed while starting up Prime 95 to test for yourself with Turboboost on and off.

My wife's 870 goes from a stock 2.93 to anywhere from 3.06 to 3.6 GHz, depending on how many cores are being stressed.
 
Back
Top