Geforce 1660 Super overheating

bikemanI7

n00b
Pre Built Asus G11CD-K Case (Kabylake based) Intel I7 7700, 16gb of ram, Evga Geforce 1660 Super SC Ultra card ((Previous card Geforce 1050 2GB) ) Well lately when i play Battlefield 4, The Temp on the card gets dangerously close to the max limit, even over EVGA Precision X1's recommended top temp of 83C, Seen it as High as 87C. Wondering if it's even safe to use the Desktop til i figure out how to fix the cooling

Kinda Noob with Hardware still sighs

Plan A
is get PC to local computer shop asap and transfer most of the hardware that will work in new case over to a new more airflow capable Case, They sell Thermaltake Gaming cases starting at $69.00, Labor about $100 i guess isn't too bad, at least then i know it'll be done right and system will work fine hopefully and cool better

Plan B
Find a software solution, and save the money for a future new motherboard, intel processor, and ram, and get new case then.

right now on laptop while Desktop finishes some backups before taking to shop maybe on Tuesday

Those cases have a reputation for being hot boxes. Add an exhaust fan if there isn’t one. A different case is probably the best bet ultimately.

BUT. Don’t overlook just gaming with the side panel off for zero dollars!

Well have a Cat that comes up here, and don't want the cat climbing into case, or i'd just open the side cover, and move it back a bit, not ideal solution really. Is an 92mm Exhaust fan, all it can hold unforuately, and PSU fan exhausts as well, but definitely hot box for sure.

They didn't even leave room in this case for a Front intake fan, stupid bar for the RGB light right thru what would possibly be front fan spot sighs

Sure big vent on side of case right near video card, but don't know if that helps cooling or not

So spending last $200 of the Stimulus package soon for the new case, and onces thats done then i'll relax and enjoy gaming once again lol

Last edited:
83C isn't the end of the world. If you were 90C+, I'd say different, but I doubt it is even throttling at 83C.

Desktop and gaming use are safe as far as I'm concerned. If you have fan mounts, get an extra fan or two.

Edit: Looking at pics online, might not be anywhere else to mount fans unless you can put one in the front below the drive bays.

Pre Built Asus G11CD-K Case (Kabylake based) Intel I7 7700, 16gb of ram, Evga Geforce 1660 Super SC Ultra card ((Previous card Geforce 1050 2GB) ) Well lately when i play Battlefield 4, The Temp on the card gets dangerously close to the max limit, even over EVGA Precision X1's recommended top temp of 83C, Seen it as High as 87C. Wondering if it's even safe to use the Desktop til i figure out how to fix the cooling

Plan A
is get PC to local computer shop asap and transfer most of the hardware that will work in new case over to a new more airflow capable Case, They sell Thermaltake Gaming cases starting at $69.00, Labor about $100 i guess isn't too bad, at least then i know it'll be done right and system will work fine hopefully and cool better

Plan B
Find a software solution, and save the money for a future new motherboard, intel processor, and ram, and get new case then.

right now on laptop while Desktop finishes some backups before taking to shop maybe on Tuesday
Technically it is safe to run at that temperate, at worse your GPU will start thermal throttling to downclock to something more manageable. May I ask why you don't choose to transfer the component yourself?

Well sorta not sure how to transfer components myself, and Family member that controls my disablity money, says you can't do that, and best to have local shop do it. So i guess gonna go with that, don't wanna argue over it really. I've done a transfer with older machine back years ago, but thats when no one bothered me, or told me couldn't do it

Well sorta not sure how to transfer components myself, and Family member that controls my disablity money, says you can't do that, and best to have local shop do it. So i guess gonna go with that, don't wanna argue over it really. I've done a transfer with older machine back years ago, but thats when no one bothered me, or told me couldn't do it

Then I wouldn't worry about it. Your temps are not completely out of control.

Ok Will worry less than i do now, started getting really worried, but am more relaxed now than i was eariler after these replies

Switching to using the Desktop after dinner, and do some gaming later tonight think will do.

Glad the temps not completely outta control thats a relief

Desktop backups done anyways, and some file cleanup anyhow done.

Then onto gaming after dinner, and swapping systems

Plan A

Plan B

What happens if you take the case panel off? Does it run cooler?

Also, have you looked inside the case to see if it's just dirty? You need to vacuum the dust out of there every once in a while, particularly on pre-builts that often have small vents.

87 degrees isn't so hot that you need to worry that much. I'd hold off replacing the case until you figure out that the case is the reason it's running hot now.

Dust Clean out done on day of before installing this newer card on June 5th, with my Electric duster Xpower item i bought from Amazon a while back, been sorta hot since, but i figured just the room temp then, and such. But with A/C on last night i was like woah this is hot

As well as Compressed air Can used to make sure i got it as clean as i can...that is done every 1-2 months approxmiately. Running with Cover off was cooler a little bit, but also have a kitty cat that may try to get in there, so can't run with it off all the time.

I make sure to maintenance the systems more so than i did years ago in 2005 when i had major system issue at the time, and older shop at the time blamed me for killing that AMD Athlon 2500+ system, probably was my fault to be honest being a noob, and not knowing too much, even less than i do now on dust cleaning, pci slot fan was so covered in dust then, there was burn marks on it, northbridge chip set had burn marks then. that system was only 3 years old. after using a low end Sempron/and other lower end AMD based systems for many years, bought this system in 2017 when i had funds to. and Now Maintain to best of my abilites allow me to, Why i also sorta panic on sorta high temps

In addition a noob testing a Antivirus wasn't such a great idea either i learned--Tested Windows Live Onecare, downloaded a few files a friend suggested in a online game, ended up with boot sector infection, trojans, worms, rootkit, it was a big mess that i never wanna experience again.

Nowadays i clean dust out on a tight schedule on each machine in the household, more file backups done weekly, updates don't regularly, and maintain as best i can

Temp on the card gets dangerously close to the max limit

That isn't a "max limit" as in "max thermal limit for safe function"; it's just a target temperature at which the card will begin to stop holding boost clocks/voltages and start dropping them in order to maintain that temp.

The card is definitely running warmer than what the cooler is capable of, but that's just because the case is cramped and has inadequate exhaust airflow to remove the heat. Those type of GPU coolers like what your SC Ultra has just dump heat back into the surrounding space, so your case has to be setup with decent exhaust nearby to get rid of it, which is the reason why most prebuilt system use cards with blower-type coolers that expel the heat out from the PCI bracket area.

Looking at pics of your case, the default setup is just a single exhaust fan in the back and no intake on the front, despite there being mounting holes for one. You might want to install one there to feed some cool air into the system, because as it currently stands, your components are being forced to slowly suck up air from the gaps and openings in the case, at the same time that they are dumping heat into the immediate vicinity. That's going to lead to bad times.

Yeah i'll see if shop can get a front fan into front, or swap to a newer case with better cooling capablities. This case i know isn't best for cooling, but i figured my old card wasn't a blower type, so this one should've been fine, though old card only had 1 GPU fan, and was much smaller in size.

What size fan would it possibly take in the front? i have an extra 80mm around that i accidently ordered a while back, Noctua (if spelled right) one --just have to find the box its in after moving

Last edited:
Yeah i'll see if shop can get a front fan into front, or swap to a newer case with better cooling capablities. This case i know isn't best for cooling, but i figured my old card wasn't a blower type, so this one should've been fine, though old card only had 1 GPU fan, and was much smaller in size.

What size fan would it possibly take in the front? i have an extra 80mm around that i accidently ordered a while back, Noctua (if spelled right) one --just have to find the box its in after moving
Probably a 120, but if you have an 80 sitting around, try that.

Also try just running the system with the side panel off and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, then you know that you need better ventilation and can look at installing more fans.

Another possibility is that the heatsink grease is dried out, in which case running without the case panel won't make a very big difference.

get [H]ard and mod that bad boy or take the easy road and move it to a better case but do it yourself. best way to learn.
ps: that antivirus is probably a virus itself, it aint ms' baby...
pps: easy mod would be to drill out the holes in the side panel and screw a fan there.

Certainly would attempt to do it myself if had a way to order a case, unforuately i don't have any debit or credit cards to do that....So thinking will go with shop way,

Drills not good with, nor do i have one lol. And use the Laptop Gaming machine to do some gaming on while Desktop being rebuilt by shop into new case, and then once Desktop home, use that machine more, and laptop back to off and on use think is my plan for now.

Appreciate all the replies and info that has been provided, unforuately i maybe always a hardware noob as no way to order any hardware to even attempt do things myself unforuately

Well Update on situation: Found out current Asus Motherboard wasn't transferrable to new case, input/output shield issue, being tied to the older case, so opted for going with a Gigabyte B460M motherboard, along with Intel 10700 Processor, keeping rest of the hardware, cost $509, Case $99, Labor $100, Trade in of old board $120 should be able to get, may still have to purchase seperately wifi card, but i guess if i have to, i have to.

Still using laptop to game while Desktop out of service, longest i ever ran Laptop since purchased it in 2017, but i guess it handles 8-9 hour days fine

Sorry, I just skimmed the replies.

Have you set a custom fan curve in Afterburner?

Most cards come with bunk fan defaults that will run the card hot and throttle. You'll need to set a custom curve. I usually do 100% fan at 80C down to 50% at 40C, you can play with the curve in-between.

Also, 87C is not dangerous. The GPUs can run up to 90C safely. As long as it's below that you should be fine.

Reactions: JMCB
like this
Well new case should have more cooling/exhaust as well for the system, if it runs a bit hot still, then will experiment with custom fan curve, i never really set those up in the past, so wasn't sure what to do. I'll probably overspend on getting this Desktop exactly like i like it, but oh well i guess at least it should be stable and all professionally configured properly, Only thing i may add when get it home here is wifi card if doesn't come with wifi built in, i will have to see on that part

((no way to wire up ethernet as major tripping hazard if i was to run wire down the steps---so think will stick to wifi, even if i have to spend $50.00 more to get a pci e wireless card if not equipped already with it))

I wouldn't ignore this because I believe the throttle temp is 83C, which is consistent with my experience with Turing. That said, you're likely sacrificing of some of the performance if it's still bouncing against 87C even despite it throttling. If you're using the stock Intel cooler on your i7-7700 then it's dumping heat into your case that the 1660 Super is sucking up. I'd recommend upgrading that to an AIO to get that hot air out. I can see your mounting options are extremely limited, so a 120mm AIO with a thicker radiator (e.g. Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm) and configure it to exhaust out of the back. The front and side vents will basically be passive intake, but with some ingenuity you can probably still setup a front intake fan (e.g. use long screws to reach past the RGB bar, 3D print a bracket, zip-ties, etc.).

Last edited:
Hello you don't have to have a trip hazard ethernet cable, it can be run along the baseboards and have cover shields etc. It can also be wall fished like electrical cables and plumbing if you get in-wall rated ethernet cable. In my area to get an alarm company or something like that to fish ethernet in the walls runs $150-200 a drop. This way you aren't subject to the vagaries of radio frequency tech.

Back