Gamers Nexus vs LinusTechTips: Smackdown

Yeah I call BS. She actually lost me when she said she's receiving "death threats" over it. That's always the first sign somebody's making stuff up. Linus turned a YouTube channel into a multi-million dollar business. I think he was pushing too hard trying to get out 1 video a day and that it hurt the quality of the content but I'm not on board with what is apparently the next step, character assassination.

Seems like that what we always have to do these days. Somebody messes up a little bit, they must be destroyed.

Google “mindchop”, death threats are 100% possible given how the Linus fanbois bullied somebody to un alive themselves

I never watched him, I never could get past all the stupid fucking faces he makes in most of the YouTubes thumbnails or whatever their called, sure Steve does some too, but not nearly as annoying as Linus! I feel the same disgust seeing Linus as I do seeing that POS Zuckerberg...
He's entertaining. You gotta love it when he drops really expensive items.

Yeah all they really had to do was say sorry for the bad data, we need to re-evaluate our quantity over quality methodology here, and clearly what happened with Billet Labs was wrong and we want to make it right. The end.
*and* 10% off the $70 LTT screwdriver with code WITCHHUNT. The end. This whole thing would have been put to bed.

Last edited:
I'm not excusing Linus for any past actions as a company he's done, but he is a victim for how this whole shits storm started
Linus doesn't look like a "victim" of anything other than his own hubris and arrogance.
Let him burn. :borg:

What I said:
He and his corporation's actions were beyond untrustworthy, unprofessional, unethical, probably illegal (potential theft, negligence, etc.), and quite frankly I'm amazed legal action wasn't taken against them.

From the article:
Linus Sebastian’s Linus Media Group YouTube empire is currently in crisis, with accusations of theft, lapses in ethics, and most recently, allegations of sexual harassment. The company has currently paused all production to improve its review processes, and CEO Terren Tong tells The Verge an outside investigator will be hired to examine the harassment allegations.

An interesting fact to think about, LTT has a sister channel ShortCircuit. Content from it was not brought up in any of the GN videos. Not surprising because that channel doesn't do benchmarking, but they will do an unboxing or preview of a GPU during a launch. Mostly just subjective reviews such as mechanical keyboards and such.

If memory serves me well, ShortCircuit staff isn't under as much pressure as LTT as they are posting videos every other day and seem to have an endless backlog of products to pick and choose from. The channel was originally meant to be a short form product review format, but some of the videos end up being as long as the LTT channel ones these days. You just don't see Linus clowning around on there as much. Mostly Plouffe reviewing overpriced keyboards or gaming monitors. Also no "segway to our sponsor".

I think I recall Linus mentioning one WAN Show he would like reduce the main channel down to ShortCircuit style content, some far off in the future. I'm not sure if he was serious or not. And this was probably before LTT Labs took off. I just don't see a ShortCircuit guerrilla style production meshing well with Labs anyway. Defeats the purpose.

Linus will never accept responsibility. His ego is larger than his care to give a damn. Even in his last vid he deflected and covered.

He's a chode. Everyone is beneath him, in his mind. He deserves no mercy on being a chode. And if even 25% of what Madison said is true he deserves to be fined in to oblivion for running a company like that.

Linus will never accept responsibility. His ego is larger than his care to give a damn. Even in his last vid he deflected and covered.

He's a chode. Everyone is beneath him, in his mind. He deserves no mercy on being a chode. And if even 25% of what Madison said is true he deserves to be fined in to oblivion for running a company like that.
So, because someone at his company made a mistake(or mistakes), we should use the power of the government machine to fine the company out of business? How does that help Madison? or the other employees that did not make that mistake?

So, because someone at his company made a mistake(or mistakes), we should use the power of the government machine to fine the company out of business? How does that help Madison? or the other employees that did not make that mistake?
Government Machine works differently in Canada than it does in the USA. It's possible this could be investigated by Canadian authorities who knows. That video is a bad bad audio lol. I have been with my tech company now for over 25 years. That kind of meeting does not happen in a major corporation.

But, I will say 1 thing about HR. They are there to protect the company.....Sometimes not the employee's.

You do know sexual harassment, discrimination, bigotry, intimidation and abuse are against labor laws. Even more so in Canada. The company is liable for that if found at fault. Linus, not directly, but LMG will get a huge stain on their record for it. It would also be public information.

But, I will say 1 thing about HR. They are there to protect the company.....Sometimes not the employee's.
Yup, they are there to protect the company from any employee that would do the company harm.

Yeah but if you're telling someone to 'un-alive themselves' in the workplace, I don't think that's gonna cut it either - so still might as well just say 'kill yourself'
Or just do like Linus did to himself and kill your career, reputation, status, worth, etc.

This may have been posted earlier but if not:
https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechT...ndatory_meeting_the_after_madisons_departure/

A poster even made a transcription of it:
Transcription if you're having trouble hearing:

(speaker 1, Linus) So we called this meeting because it's come to our attention that we need to have a quick chat about the best way to handle HR related feedback and rumors. We won't be giving any names for what I hope are extraordinarily obvious reasons, but what we can do is give you the following guidelines for problem solving and conflict resolution.

Sorry that this is all boring and corporate, but here we are. Number one, always stand up for what's right. We're only a team as long as we're all working together and working for each other. That's the most important one. Number two, always reflect on your own personal experiences and use your common sense. Few things in life are truly black and white. Number three, always wait to hear both sides of a story before passing your own judgment. Be cautious when you know that one side is bound by legal and ethical disclosure guidelines, when the other is not. Carefully consider what it says about the character of someone who would engage in that type of gossip against someone who has no power to defend themselves.

Number four, always encourage openness and transparency. If you have a problem, you need to speak up. We want to fix it. If you receive feedback about somebody else at this company, the first response is, have you spoken with this person? Followed closely by, you need to speak with this person. We don't solve interpersonal issues here, or really anywhere in your life, if you wish to live in a drama free zone, by engaging in water cooler politicking. So, if for any reason that individual is not comfortable approaching the person they're having a conflict with, we have a chain that they're supposed to follow.

So first, you advise them to take the problem to their manager. Followed by me or Yvonne, followed by our third party HR firm. I hope that you all trust that we're here to make this a safe, fun, and productive workplace, and we won't tolerate mistreatment of any of our team members.

If you have any reason to believe otherwise, then I refer you again to point number four, which is to address the issue with the individual directly, or bring it to me or Yvonne, or bring it to our third party HR firm. Since I'm not at liberty to share any details about what occurred, uh, all I can do is ask that you trust me and Yvonne.

Um, some of you know us very well, I've been here a very long time, um, some of you have not been here for as long, but I like to think that whether you've been here for nine years or nine days, you're here for a reason and you believe that we are utmost to run this company with integrity and compassion.

Um, We can't solve problems we don't know about though, so on that note, I'd like to invite anyone who has concerns about a fellow team member or about a manager to submit their feedback either by speaking with their manager, me or Yvonne directly, or if you would prefer to provide your feedback anonymously, we have an option for that as well.

It's the manager and co worker feedback form. Uh, Yvonne, if you're not aware of it, show of hands who is not aware of it. Hey, a lot of people aren't aware of it. Good, so now we all know. There's an anonymous form, if for whatever reason you're not comfortable, (inaudible) you can talk to me or Yvonne directly about it (inaudible) in the general chat.

It's a safe space to provide us ideas for improvement, or if you're consumed by the holiday spirit and you want to say nice things, you can do that too. Does anybody else have any questions?

Not a single questions? Wow, that must have been a really good speech.

(speaker 2, James)You gonna dance on that table, or just stand on it?

(speaker 1, Linus)That's it! So, um, Yvonne, did you have anything you wanted to add?

(speaker 3, Yvonne)(inaudible) Somebody said (inaudible) if you guys want to sanitize your hands, help yourself with free (inaudible)?

(speaker 1, Linus)Yeah, that was actually just totally random timing. It came up the stairs a moment ago. Dennis is on it. Alright. Thank you everyone. Have a wonderful and, uh, productive rest of your day. And weekend.

EDIT: added who was speaking. Don't know who speaker 2 is.

EDIT 2: I was told Speaker 2 is James

EDIT 3: Ivonne > Yvonne

EDIT 4: "near Yvonne directly" > me or Yvonne directly" and fixed that last thing Yvonne said

Doubling down on my statement about Linus being nothing but corpo trash.

It may have already been said but. There is no such thing as bad publicity. With some of the attention this gets some people are going "What is Linus Tech Tips", "What is Gamers Nexus", thus leading to more hits and more likes, more subscribers, etc.... Who knows.

Lol:
Screenshot_20230816_204559.png

It may have already been said but. There is no such thing as bad publicity. With some of the attention this gets some people are going "What is Linus Tech Tips", "What is Gamers Nexus", thus leading to more hits and more likes, more subscribers, etc.... Who knows.
Not sure the Weinstein company, or Nike with the child labour scandals. There is limit to this rule, it is a possibility for a scandal to hurt a brand or company, specially if it goes against the brand and that you cannot pivot into it.

A rockband being in a "scandal" because of some drugs related incident can be good publicity or a comics getting in trouble for a joke that its potential audience find kind of funny or if you were not know at all and having nothing to lose by exposure.

The LTT vs GN could have been all nice exposure yes, the workplace issues / sexual harassment affair coming out would be really hard to go into the there is no such thing as bad publicity example.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cTpTMl8kFY

I don't know how this has been online for 17 hours without being posted here yet, but that's how you respond to a crisis.

If they had only taken it seriously to begin with, they wouldn't even had have to have this level of a serious mea culpa.

I tend to think transparency is key. If the initial response to GN's video had been something like:

1.) Yes we screwed up. As a company we have some management issues we are working through.
2.) Yes, we were already aware of these issues, that's why we hired our new CEO allowing Linus to transition to a new role where he can focus on what he is best at, and to allow the company to grow into it's new consumer focused testing stage.
3.) Here's how we plan on fixing the highlighted issues.
4.) Thank you for being viewers for all this time, and please bear with us while we get there.

They wouldn't have had to go quite as far as this video, if only the initial response hadn't been Linus doubling down. That made things worse, but it does look like they are sincere about righting the ship, and that is a good thing. The market definitely needs a strong trusted consumer advocate to take on all of the "review guide" bullshit, and if anyone can do it, it is LMG. As a reviewer (or tech journalist) trying to hold the industry accountable, you are going to wind up wading through a river of bullshit, and industry insiders constantly trying to corrupt you into just being an "influencer".

I wish LMG the best of luck in this mission, and am rooting for their success!

Last edited:

I don't know how this has been online for 17 hours without being posted here yet, but that's how you respond to a crisis.

If they had only taken it seriously to begin with, they wouldn't even had have to have this level of a serious mea culpa.

I tend to think transparency is key. If the initial response to GN's video had been something like:

1.) Yes we screwed up. As a company we have some management issues we are working through.
2.) Yes, we were already aware of these issues, that's why we hired our new CEO allowing Linus to transition to a new role where he can focus on what he is best at, and to allow the company to grow into it's new consumer focused testing stage.
4.) Thank you for being viewers for all this time, and please bear with us while we get there.

They wouldn't have had to go quite as far as this video, if only the initial response hadn't been Linus doubling down. That made things worse, but it does look like they are sincere about righting the ship, and that is a good thing. The market definitely needs a strong trusted consumer advocate to take on all of the "review guide" bullshit, and if anyone can do it, it is LMG. As a reviewer (or tech journalist) trying to hold the industry accountable, you are going to wind up wading through a river of bullshit, and industry insiders constantly trying to corrupt you into just being an "influencer".

The jokes about sponsors and plugging products in your "apology" video are not. And apparently it was originally monetized? Yikes.

The jokes about sponsors and plugging products in your "apology" video are not. And apparently it was originally monetized? Yikes.
When the video was made and posted it was not about serious accusation but about error in bar graphs and favouring sponsored toys over other toys for money, viewing that video after reading about serious affair came up will make it play stranger than expected.

Seems to be way too many moving parts for what they produce. Broken down so much that continuity is lost in the end result.

Also more than just oversights, judgement on what is acceptable, reviewing as a technical reviewer your own product or part owner. Just so much wrong from so many directions.

The use of the other guy/gal mistake miscommunications, policy and so on seems like no one is truly taking any ownership but worst yet not in any kind of position to make effective changes.

I keep hearing about the lab. What are they designing, engineering, testing that such a lab is needed for their content? Seriously ridicules. Each of us have a good idea how to test a new graphics card with why one bought it, for games you run it through its paces. Testing what is important to you. Power usage, temps performance and how it OCs etc. does not require a lab. A good test bench and some tools and software. Same with monitors, keyboards, mice and power supplies which may require more precise specialize equipment. Most important is how competent, knowledgeable the person doing the testing. Their lab has no bearing on the quality of their content.

Small cohesive teams can and usually outdo a bureaucracy of disjointed members every time.

Well, at the time your source was very questionable but now... I am trying to hunt for crows to eat but the clever buggers are outsmarting me at every turn.
The possibility wasn't enough humored. That's not to say the information presented is true, but considering Linus's actions it wouldn't seem too far fetched.

Yeah all they really had to do was say sorry for the bad data, we need to re-evaluate our quantity over quality methodology here, and clearly what happened with Billet Labs was wrong and we want to make it right. The end.
Exactly. They could have pulled the "woe is me" and blame it all on being over-worked and over stressed all on account of trying to give "us" so much content and pushing it beyond their means. A small promise that they will "slow down and do better" would have them golden in the eyes of the easily shammed.
But as ego's go.....:rolleyes:

Could you imagine the force of will required to not say that we knew immediately that of course we knew what happened with Billet Labs was wrong and decided right away to reimburse them the asked price tag no question asked, they were not in the email CC about it when that the case ?

They were already in the re-evaluation of quantity of quality methodology, but 130 employees paying rent-mortage in Vancouver metro (even the do it because it is a dream job hire will not be that cheap, Vancouver is an incredibly expensive spot for a youtube channel that could be almost anywhere) and an ambitious Lab project, they will probably conclude that it is really hard to not go for quantity over quality. If they decide the alternative, firing a lot of people it will not be that good PR wise even if it is made with the explicit we grew too big, we need to scale down, go less videos, etc...

Last edited:
Linus forgot he's just a YouTuber with a YouTube channel. The money, influence and power made him believe he was some kind of industry kingpin, when all he really is is an industry whore selling fluff pieces to the highest bidder while trying to dress this advertising up as entertainment.

He lost sight of the original vision and it became a machine obsessed only with generating cash while concealing that reality.
Trouble is they got so fixated on the first bit they dropped the ball on the second, and when a youtuber with actual integrity and a ton of well earned community good will called them out on it the whole fake façade crumbled.

The lab is just part of this façade, when GN came along the bar was raised for everyone, LTT was losing credibility so they tried to purchase some. You can't buy integrity, you can't fake having morals, those things need to come from within, they need to be baked into the cake, not applied to the surface like icing, they tried to do that and it blew up spectacularly in their faces. The Lab is just a mask that was never going to be worn properly.

It's all fake.

If you watched the video and saw what they did to that small business, you would not consider Linus to be a "victim" when he was clearly the original and repeated aggressor of the alleged claims.
He and his corporation's actions were beyond untrustworthy, unprofessional, unethical, probably illegal (potential theft, negligence, etc.), and quite frankly I'm amazed legal action wasn't taken against them.

I don't blame LTT's employees, I blame management, and we know who exactly the management at LTT is.
Linus has simply been exposed for corpo trash that he really is.

Exactly, in no way can LTT be considered the victim here. I'm sorry but to auction off that prototype without the company's permission is not sus it's effectively criminal. Along with the mouse issues among other things, they are effectively killing peoples' careers, dreams or livelihoods for clicks. They had a hugely negative review, bashed the company, and fooled around with the equipment while not adhering to its specs. It's exactly the same as LTT reviewing an Intel socket CPU cooler on a AM5 motherboard and saying its trash do not buy it after that company sent it to them in good faith after spending a couple hundred thousand dollars in R&D.

All of the mistakes in the videos needed to be called out and Linus needed a wakeup call. Steve pointed out a lot but that was only the past year and only the major releases. They have had major problems with that for years and never rectified it. Steve said they had this on the back burner for a long time and never brought it all up until that dude put them on blast. Had Steve not done this, LTT would go on for years doing this, now, they will probably fix themselves in a good way. It benefits the community as a whole, not just Steves audience but across the entire consumer market. LTT fanboys will get drastically better content even though they are hating on Steve. He did them a favor.

Exactly, in no way can LTT be considered the victim here. I'm sorry but to auction off that prototype without the company's permission is not sus it's effectively criminal. Along with the mouse issues among other things, they are effectively killing peoples' careers, dreams or livelihoods for clicks. They had a hugely negative review, bashed the company, and fooled around with the equipment while not adhering to its specs. It's exactly the same as LTT reviewing an Intel socket CPU cooler on a AM5 motherboard and saying its trash do not buy it after that company sent it to them in good faith after spending a couple hundred thousand dollars in R&D.

All of the mistakes in the videos needed to be called out and Linus needed a wakeup call. Steve pointed out a lot but that was only the past year and only the major releases. They have had major problems with that for years and never rectified it. Steve said they had this on the back burner for a long time and never brought it all up until that dude put them on blast. Had Steve not done this, LTT would go on for years doing this, now, they will probably fix themselves in a good way. It benefits the community as a whole, not just Steves audience but across the entire consumer market. LTT fanboys will get drastically better content even though they are hating on Steve. He did them a favor.

The overall scenario is common to many small companies that finds success and tries to grow exponentially. All the resources go into growth and brand capitalization and nothing goes into corporate structure or refining the workplace culture. I don't think Linus is a "bad guy" any more than the litany of other techbros in the world, but ego and ignorance can turn anyone into a villain on a long enough time line.

When you start out as a small, heavily personally invested team with intense ties to the branding and product you'll work insane hours, put in massive effort, and grind yourself to a pulp to push the ball forward. That works fine when it's that small, dedicated, totally bought in group. Once you move from that to actually having real employees you need to pivot. Because employees have no outward motivation to your cause other than a paycheck. If you can get them to buy in, great, all the better....but if you expect it, you're doomed. It's pretty apparent they tried to run the show like it was just a bunch of dudes in a garage band still. You can still plunge forward for quite a ways on momentum alone but eventually you're going to run over a pothole too big for your wheels. Then you better have a plan. They....did not.

Valuable lesson learned though. If you want to "do what you want", take the $100,000,000 buy out he claims to have received and peace out.

LTT has always been cringe to me since he came out. I never took their reviews too seriously, and we had the [H] and our little community for over 2 decades now along with dozens of sites to get enough information on what I wanted about the pc part or game I was interested in.

LTT exploded because they jumped on the algorithm bandwagon trying to ensure the videos and content made appealed to what the algorithm told them was getting clicks. That's pretty much how they got so big.

Well we have enough examples of "big" letting their egos get to their head and LTT is no different than previous examples so here we are.

GN and HU have every right to respond to the potshots taken at their integrity, regardless of direct or not because of the reach LTT has on the community. LTT is not a victim here. They're just being shown for what most of us here have figured out ages ago. LTT has now quadruple down on their position despite the apology video (which reads more like a sorry not sorry whenever Linus speaks).

Or just do like Linus did to himself and kill your career, reputation, status, worth, etc.

This may have been posted earlier but if not:
https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechT...ndatory_meeting_the_after_madisons_departure/

A poster even made a transcription of it:

Doubling down on my statement about Linus being nothing but corpo trash.
Go directly to the person you have an issue with, then go to Linus, and use the third-party HR company as a last resort? That goes against every corporate company policy I've ever been party to.

The overall scenario is common to many small companies that finds success and tries to grow exponentially. All the resources go into growth and brand capitalization and nothing goes into corporate structure or refining the workplace culture. I don't think Linus is a "bad guy" any more than the litany of other techbros in the world, but ego and ignorance can turn anyone into a villain on a long enough time line.

When you start out as a small, heavily personally invested team with intense ties to the branding and product you'll work insane hours, put in massive effort, and grind yourself to a pulp to push the ball forward. That works fine when it's that small, dedicated, totally bought in group. Once you move from that to actually having real employees you need to pivot. Because employees have no outward motivation to your cause other than a paycheck. If you can get them to buy in, great, all the better....but if you expect it, you're doomed. It's pretty apparent they tried to run the show like it was just a bunch of dudes in a garage band still. You can still plunge forward for quite a ways on momentum alone but eventually you're going to run over a pothole too big for your wheels. Then you better have a plan. They....did not.

Valuable lesson learned though. If you want to "do what you want", take the $100,000,000 buy out he claims to have received and peace out.

Growth is hard to manage when you run a small business. It's always reacting because it's hard to be proactive when your company is growing so incredibly quickly. You don't have safety and compliance until there is a significant injury, you don't have an actual system for complaints until something blows up, you don't have payroll until you're sitting there at 5AM finishing wages up yourself. Our government here in Canada actually has people to help you manage systems growth so you can try to keep your company policy instep with your company size. Almost nobody knows how to get in touch with any of these people, it's not every well publicized, WSIB gave me a number when I had an employee with a broken leg. They put me in touch with a dirty, evil bureaucrat name Sam who has been indispensable to me ever since. Whether it's government programs to assist with (and help fund) growth or setting up internal processes to manage a company of fifty people instead of five.

The thing with LMG is starting to smell like a nerd rage dog-pile at this point. The internet does love some virtue signalling and Techtube has some particularly foul righteous crusaders.

Google “mindchop”, death threats are 100% possible given how the Linus fanbois bullied somebody to un alive themselves
For anybody not in the loop:

https://old.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/t1e1if/you_destroyed_my_life/
1692279734581.png

Linus didn't sick his fanbase on this poor person despite the father's accusation, the fans did it on their own. For Linus' part, he had a cordial interaction with the buyer at the auction and seemed to want to give The MindChop more positive attention despite feeling gutted, but the fanbase did the opposite.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDZfh5IjGv8&t=545s

The thing with LMG is starting to smell like a nerd rage dog-pile at this point. The internet does love some virtue signalling and Techtube has some particularly foul righteous crusaders.

I mean you're not wrong to a degree but this is also the world Linus plays in. His image and brand is the value. It's not like LTT products are superior to other products, or he's got some tech IP worth anything. His testing methodology is obviously flawed. There's nothing there other than branding. So if that's your gig, you need to PROTECT your brand at all costs. It means when you're the big dog in the game, don't punch down because you've got way more to lose. If you're going to have a company policy to start messaging against your competitors, you best have your house in order. He didn't. And he knows better.

He wanted LTT to start being taken seriously without being serious. Doesn't work that way unless you're way, way, way bigger. Elon Musk can play that game because he can afford to lose $50 billion after a PR blunder and still be unfathomably wealthy. For someone like Linus this is a game changing, career altering problem. This is a hard fork in his companies valuation from which it likely will never truly recover from.

LTT shat on GN and HU and got it thrown back in their face 10x fold. They were trying to dabble in the same nerd rage that's coming at them now and it backfired. No excuse for a social media mogul to not understand how social media works.

I mean you're not wrong to a degree but this is also the world Linus plays in. His image and brand is the value. It's not like LTT products are superior to other products, or he's got some tech IP worth anything. His testing methodology is obviously flawed. There's nothing there other than branding. So if that's your gig, you need to PROTECT your brand at all costs. It means when you're the big dog in the game, don't punch down because you've got way more to lose. If you're going to have a company policy to start messaging against your competitors, you best have your house in order. He didn't. And he knows better.

He wanted LTT to start being taken seriously without being serious. Doesn't work that way unless you're way, way, way bigger. Elon Musk can play that game because he can afford to lose $50 billion after a PR blunder and still be unfathomably wealthy. For someone like Linus this is a game changing, career altering problem. This is a hard fork in his companies valuation from which it likely will never truly recover from.

LTT shat on GN and HU and got it thrown back in their face 10x fold. They were trying to dabble in the same nerd rage that's coming at them now and it backfired. No excuse for a social media mogul to not understand how social media works.

I guess he really did go after GN and HU. Man, it was attack after attack from LMG, brutal way they conduct business.

It's a dog pile, another holy war by the sycophantic fans of X and Y because OBVIOUSLY.

LTT is a show to make money. It has a thin veneer of tech journalism wrapped around it at the end of the day it is a show designed for its entertainment value.

Linus has always been a salesman first and for most, if he did not work in tech he would be selling used cars.

Back