Gamers Nexus vs LinusTechTips: Smackdown

The thing is if you are going to offer consumer advice you need to be authorative to the best of your abilities. "If you don't like how I do it, then do it better" is an argument for adolescents. Either do it right or don't do it at all. I don't have to do a better / more comprehensive review first to gain the right to call out bad practices. But even if that was the requirement GN surely qualifies.
Again, I've heard Linus say as much on the topic as well during his WAN shows and have never heard him say (unironically) "if you don't like now I do it, then do it better..". Encouraging competition (as he has done) is not necessarily insinuating that either, as there are countless variables when testing both hardware and software that are virtually impossible to cover in their entirety in any sort of digestible hardware review. Hence his stance that there is plenty of room in the tech reviewer space for others besides him and they don't always have to be in competition with each other.

Again, I've heard Linus say as much on the topic as well during his WAN shows and have never heard him say (unironically) "if you don't like now I do it, then do it better..". Encouraging competition (as he has done) is not necessarily insinuating that either, as there are countless variables when testing both hardware and software that are virtually impossible to cover in their entirety in any sort of digestible hardware review. Hence his stance that there is plenty of room in the tech reviewer space for others besides him and they don't always have to be in competition with each other.
Testing for different variables is not the same as releasing results with blatant and obvious errors, then not even taking them down to not loose out on some revenue.
What Linus says now is more like whatever the audience needs to hear. His honest stance is in the before controversy statements.
If they wow to do better that is good, but I can't take their word for it with Linus still as the face of the company.

This vid was pulled from GN's channel with it seems a lot of backlash attached to it if I am reading Twitter right.

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1695703091452969059
View attachment 594112

While I do have some pretty strong feelings about his LTT videos, not really sure about this one.

View: https://streamable.com/sw5jn6

I haven’t watched the video, but from the replies to the community post I saw (at least the ones that weren’t people trolling) it seems like the big issue was timing. That’s a pretty fair complaint, putting this video up when they did does feel a bit like they’re taking shots at LTT even if that wasn’t the intention. That said, Steve’s reaction really is what Linus should have done from the get go. Apologize, explain a little, talk about what you’re going to do better going forward, and leave it at that. No “woe is me I’m the real victim here” nonsense.

Looks like the LTT video editor either quit, or was told he's quitting.

Termination decoder wheel:

Under 40: "I've done a lot of soul searching, ..."
Over 40: "I've decided to spend more time with family, ..."

SmartSelect_20230829_135825_Brave.jpg

Last edited:

Termination decoder wheel:

Under 40: "I've done a lot of soul searching, ..."
Over 40: "I've decided to spend more time with family, ..."

View attachment 594731
At least he just got a bunch of new stuff in a recent tech upgrade video....

Screenshot_20230831-075437~01~01~01.jpg

Another one gone. Not surprising. Good luck, Tim, on your next job and thanks for the entertainment.

Fostering a culture of owning up to one's mistakes, I see. That'll work well. /s

To be fair, we don't know if he was fired, planned to leave, or left due to pressure from rabid fanchildren.

Last edited:
lol plan your exit after getting a bunch of free shit, good stuff haha
If you quit you cant file for unemployment, if you are fired though kaching!

Btw the guy left/fired/etc was the guy who made the comment of the superiority of the labs compared to those other hosers?

View attachment 595110

Another one gone. Not surprising. Good luck, Tim, on your next job and thanks for the entertainment.

I think that dude was new. He was part of the lab build out. He's also the guy who slagged GN in that video.

Of course he's gone. They are probably blaming him internally for pissing GN off enough to take the headshot.

No way he survived.

If you quit you cant file for unemployment, if you are fired though kaching!

Btw the guy left/fired/etc was the guy who made the comment of the superiority of the labs compared to those other hosers?

I don't think you get unemployment if you're fired (your fault), only if you're laid off (not your fault).
So quitting makes sense if you were going to get fired.

I don't think you get unemployment if you're fired (your fault), only if you're laid off (not your fault).

It is relatively rare for employers to fire people with cause where LTT/LMG is based. Usually they try to do it without cause so that person can get Employment Insurance (EI).

Well the rules change everywhere I'm sure, and I'm not quite sure what the laws are in Canuckistan, but it largely depends on what "your fault" is. The rules usually are if you're let go due to "misconduct", and I don't think this guy saying this which started this whole shitstorm can be classified as misconduct unless there was a way to prove that he maliciously and willfully did this in order to hurt the company. And sure employers can lie and say "well he was part of that whole sexual harassment thing" they better have absolute proof that he was, because if they don't a lawsuit would make whatever unemployment benefits he collect seem like pocket change.

Well the rules change everywhere I'm sure, and I'm not quite sure what the laws are in Canuckistan, but it largely depends on what "your fault" is. The rules usually are if you're let go due to "misconduct", and I don't think this guy saying this which started this whole shitstorm can be classified as misconduct unless there was a way to prove that he maliciously and willfully did this in order to hurt the company. And sure employers can lie and say "well he was part of that whole sexual harassment thing" they better have absolute proof that he was, because if they don't a lawsuit would make whatever unemployment benefits he collect seem like pocket change.
Fella above touched on it, but essentially in BC:

Employment Insurance (EI) is available to employees actively searching for work while unemployed or otherwise excused for medical or other accepted reasons. The actively searching for work is key, you cant get laid off, apply and sit at home. Well, the con artists can, but they will find a way around anything. You are required to actively be searching for work or otherwise educating/enriching yourself. They expect logs etc.

You can of course file for exceptions with EI, but generally if you weren't laid off, you wont get EI. You cannot quit a job in BC (whole of Canada as far as I know..) and get paid by EI while you are looking for work.

As far as firing, in BC its all about cause. If the employee was fired "with cause" you cannot get EI, if you were fired without cause, you MAY be able to qualify for EI, complication there being if you were fired without cause you most likely received compensation and EI essentially exists to find every reason possible NOT to pay money to people.

EI is maxed out at 55% of your average insurable weekly earnings (to a max). 2023 is $61,500 i believe. So that would be $650 a week. There also is a waiting period, and a maximum you can be on it.

Well that was a dry topic, basically there are limited supports available in Canada, but if you are relying on the system to live, you aren't doing well in this economy. This is what is driving a lot of the angst against the "1%" and the "linuses" (to stay relevant) in Canada, the argument that with all of the tax loopholes and outs that exist, the ones that can afford to support the system as a whole, aren't. It is extremely common in Canada for people to appear rich, but as far as the government is concerned tax wise, they are below the poverty line. Similar problems all over the place though, and none of this is new.

yes, since its federal, the rules are the same everywhere. except maybe queerbec, 'cause theyre special. helmet wearing, crayon eating, short bus riding special....

And it's a Quebec short bus, so it's doubling the limit and aiming for pedestrians.

Vehicles.

Bus shelters.

Utility poles.

Homes....

I bet if Linus just cut Steve's hair, Steve would lose all of his powers to review or scrutinize, it's like Samson. The hair's in charge, he's just along for the ride.

Hahaha.

Hosers indeed.

What a fuckfest of a shitshow.

I post on their site because it is Canadian (sorta)

I dont watch their videos, not because of what this thread was about, but because I just dont find them educational, nor do I find them to be entertaining. There is a few times I actually felt my I.Q. slipping. Kind of like trying to watch an episode of "insert stupid shows name here". I was going to say Sponge Bob.

:D

Back