Gainward Announces 3GB GeForce GTX 580 "Phantom"

WOW. That would make an epic SLi config for massive monitors. I would imagine it would blow away the 6970 but the cost I bet is gigantic.

YES! This is what I've been waiting for! 1.5GB just wasn't cutting it, but now we finally have something that will for higher resolutions with higher settings. The price is probably going to be rediculous though :(. I wonder if other videocard companies will be doing this aswell?

Will probably just be $100 more than the reference, so $600. Would work quite well for 7680x1600 setups compared to what we have now, but really two GTX580s aren't powerful enough GPU-wise to make use of the memory for huge resolutions like that.

Will probably just be $100 more than the reference, so $600. Would work quite well for 7680x1600 setups compared to what we have now, but really two GTX580s aren't powerful enough GPU-wise to make use of the memory for huge resolutions like that.

So what your saying is the GPU isn't powerful enough to utilize all 3GB of vram?

Have you seen Vega's comparisons of 6970 and 580 setups at 76 x 16? Seeing those, I would think it stands to benefit in that situation. But besides that, I totally agree, 1.53GB was more than plenty. Normal people doing 57 x 12 aren't going to need it.

Man, that looks awesome as shit but I may be sad if it doesn't get to stores in a timely matter, (The US is unfortunately out of luck.) I don't know if 3GB's will do something but it certainly looks cool.

Pretty huge news for anyone interested in GPU rendering via CUDA. Until now, the only way to get close to 3GB on a single GPU was by shelling out $$$ for a high-end Quadro.

I anticipate this being a smash hit for people who use CUDA and dont want to shell out 2k for a tesla card

I wanted this card after hearing about it the other day but I just ordered my 580 this morning, oh well got mine for free so I can't complain :p

edit:
Also curious as to what the price will be. I bet it will be at the least $100 more and no more than $200 more than a reference one.

Last edited:
Man, that looks awesome as shit but I may be sad if it doesn't get to stores in a timely matter, (The US is unfortunately out of luck.) I don't know if 3GB's will do something but it certainly looks cool.

thats usually the case, they toss tons of ram on a card, that in the end cant even utilize the ram to it's full potential.

Well I'de assume it would be able to use most of it considering how powerful the card is. And this would even be helpful for lower resolutions because yes the resolution 1920x1080 wont use all that vram, but as soon as AA goes on in games it will.

Have you seen Vega's comparisons of 6970 and 580 setups at 76 x 16? Seeing those, I would think it stands to benefit in that situation. But besides that, I totally agree, 1.53GB was more than plenty. Normal people doing 57 x 12 aren't going to need it.

Using what as a bench comparison though?

From a gaming standpoint 1.5gb of Vram is barely scratching the surface of what some games can use on much lower res than 76x16.

If the card can utilize all 3gb of the Vram I see huge potential for it in the gaming market.

This is what Nvidia needs. I went with the AMD 6950 because of the performance and cheap 2GB vram. Mega value.
Nvida has to increase their vram as standard to compete in the multi-monitor sector.

I'll definitely consider going back to Nvidia if they release a 2.5GB GTX 570.

Last edited:
I applaud Gainward as they are focus in the right direction. Remeber guys, this is not some 5450 with 2gb of DDR2 just slapped on it. This is a flagship card that can render the crap out of most titles and finally not be held back by insufficient memory for high res. with the settings turned up. All I know is that more memory=more textures,AA,AF, and all that good stuff.:D

Yum yum yum :) <3 Gainward. Will love to see surround reviews of these bad boys.

My guess is $799.95. AND I bet they sell them all quickly at that price. There are always a group of people with plenty of money willing to buy the very best product available.

Looks nice but it takes up three of your PCI-E slots which is a negative thing. I just wish NVIDIA would have slapped 3GB of VRAM on GTX 580, why the fuck did they insist on still using 1.5GB?

Probably the same reason AMD only put one full-bandwidth DVI port on the 6900s, cost.
If most people won't use it, out it goes.

Looks nice but it takes up three of your PCI-E slots which is a negative thing. I just wish NVIDIA would have slapped 3GB of VRAM on GTX 580, why the fuck did they insist on still using 1.5GB?

Where did it say it uses up 3 PCI-E slots? It looks like a dual slot card to me. And on the topic of the vram, 2GB should be the lowest amount of vram going onto video cards these days especially with how demanding 3 YEAR OLD games are with AA barely turned on at popular resolutions like 1920x1080. Even 1600x900 taxes vram like crazy. Nvidia needs to get with it and start going with a 1.5GB or 2GB minimum for their cards. I hope to see a 2.5GB GTX570 too because it would be more affordable and be able to sport those high resolutions. I just hope they don't jack the price way up. If other video card companies don't follow suit then I would almost say skip this line of cards and wait for the next ones. Hopefully more of the companies start doing the same and realizing that 1.2GB and 1.5GB of vram just isn't cutting it.

This would be great for Premiere. Especially if it only comes as a $100 premium. As you know, GPU work relies heavily on the vRAM and memory controller. So having a (realitively) cheap card with that much on it would mean about 100 layers of 1080p video could be done in real time. Even stuff like red raw 28k 9334p footage would be feasible in realtime. :D

Why, oh why, can't Nvidia just let nV Surround run off of one card? WHY?!

worthless... this card is going to cost $900 and at that you will have to buy two in order to do 3+ monitors

They could have went with 2GB and been fine, 3GB will not be used even @ 5760x1600
:rolleyes:

worthless... this card is going to cost $900 and at that you will have to buy two in order to do 3+ monitors

They could have went with 2GB and been fine, 3GB will not be used even @ 5760x1600

$900? No doubling the RAM wont almost double card price.

Could have went with 2GB? No again.

Also its 7680x1600.

Vega could be quite interested in these, or maybe 2x 595 /w 6GB each.

In case you didn't know ram chips come in multiple of 2.

2GB is only possible if you use 128/256/512 bit bandwidth

Last edited:
Good news, looks like the Palit version might be dual slot.

171a.jpg

Plus Newegg is selling Palit cards now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Image...ess 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Looks like the same exact cooler which is good.

I've been looking for 3GB 580's for a few months now. I just hope these aren't a paper release and they actually get to retailers in a fair amount of time so I can snatch up 2-3.

Hm, just found out though that they use a 2.5 slot cooler. That means tri-SLI will be very hard and there won't be any water blocks that would fit this non-reference design.

http://www.gainward.com/main/product/vga/pro/p00454/p00454_datasheet_11584d2e9694dad60.pdf?s=305

Well unless another mfg makes one you could always do 2x 595 6GB.

$900? No doubling the RAM wont almost double card price.

Could have went with 2GB? No again.

Also its 7680x1600.

Vega could be quite interested in these, or maybe 2x 595 /w 6GB each.

If not $900 it will be close. these special edition cards always have a HUGE markup. Look at the 5970 Ares, costs around $1.1K.

I anticipate this being a smash hit for people who use CUDA and dont want to shell out 2k for a tesla card

which is why i think we will only see a limited number of these cards, no way would Nvidia allow a consumer card to kill tesla sales.

but even saying that 3 gig's is overboard why not release a 2GB version. btw 600 dollars is wishful thinking, this thing will probably be in the 750-800 dollar range. especially if it ends up being a limited edition card.

btw did anyone notice this things going to have a display port on it.. looks like they are taking a page from AMD/ATI's book. not that its a bad thing either. wonder if they will use it to allow nvidia surround on a single card.

5970 is 2 cards. A 595 6GB would probably be $1.1k

it was 1 card with 2 gpu's, the gtx 295 was 2 cards with an internal SLI bridge. and why do people keep calling the duel gpu version a 595? the only reason nvidia used the 5 at the end of the 200 series line was to signify the difference between the 65nm and 55nm cards. the duel gpu 500 series card should be called the 590.

which is why i think we will only see a limited number of these cards, no way would Nvidia allow a consumer card to kill tesla sales.

but even saying that 3 gig's is overboard why not release a 2GB version. btw 600 dollars is wishful thinking, this thing will probably be in the 750-800 dollar range. especially if it ends up being a limited edition card.

btw did anyone notice this things going to have a display port on it.. looks like they are taking a page from AMD/ATI's book. not that its a bad thing either. wonder if they will use it to allow nvidia surround on a single card.

it was 1 card with 2 gpu's, the gtx 295 was 2 cards with an internal SLI bridge. and why do people keep calling the duel gpu version a 595? the only reason nvidia used the 5 at the end of the 200 series line was to signify the difference between the 65nm and 55nm cards. the duel gpu 500 series card should be called the 590.

Do all of those cards you mention duel with knives or guns? ;)

These GTX 580's will have 3GB instead of 2GB because of the memory architecture. They are just installing double density memory chips in the same location as the regular 1.5GB (total) GTX 580 memory chips.

Saw a link to the Gainward 3GB card at a European retailer, the price was a bit under 650 euros (the 1.5GB 580 was anywhere from 475-515, I think). I would be very surprised if the Palit card retails for over $650 USD.

Did you happen to notice if that retailer has them in stock or was that a pre-order type price listing?

650 Euros is around 850$.... That puts 3gb 580's in the range of quad 6970s... I cant see the extra memory making up for that much performance. Atleast from a price / performance point of view.

Any news about these being available in the US?

Back