Fury X Benchmarked @ 4K (via AMD)

Christ, here come the fucking armchair engineers....

and I'm not an arm chair engineer, I have been in the game industry for over 10 years, and now work at a major TV channel as a sr. producer for the past 5 years.

Yes. same is true with a card like 980 GTX Ti. Fan boys on either camps should hold their horses.

It is not as if either companies are paying them or providing them any kind of a benefit to get so worked up. I for one change to either brand if I deem it fit for my needs.

I sort of doubt they'd go liquid cooling if it wasn't pretty much required though? It doesn't make much sense otherwise.
290X uses more power and there are no factory water-cooled models on the market.
And why do people watercool their GPUs in the first place? If they don't "need" it.

I'm not even sure how to fully respond to that. People put their cards on water because it makes them quieter/cooler and boosts OC headroom.

290X uses more power and there are no factory water-cooled models on the market.
And why do people watercool their GPUs in the first place? If they don't "need" it.

I'm not even sure how to fully respond to that. People put their cards on water because it makes them quieter/cooler and boosts OC headroom.

The 290x generates an ENORMOUS amount of heat though. I know because I run two of them in crossfire in a custom loop. I suspect that AMD is trying to avoid the noise problem they had with reference 290x coolers, but I will still bet that Fury X is going to generate a ton of heat.

Making a card come with a closed loop is pretty inconvenient, frankly, for at least two reasons. First, you've got to find space to put the mandatory rad, which will probably be a pain for some people. Second, what if you want to put these in a custom loop?

First, you've got to find space to put the mandatory rad, which will probably be a pain for some people.
It's a single 120mm radiator.
If your rear exhaust is already used by a CPU CLC, then you should have a front in-take or roof exhaust open.

This MIGHT be a problem for some itx cases that don't have any 120mm slots. I'm sure they exist.
Everyone buying a $650 video card should have one 120mm space open in their case.

Second, what if you want to put these in a custom loop?
I imagine that's what the Fury is for, assuming it's also Fiji XT.

The 290x generates an ENORMOUS amount of heat though. I know because I run two of them in crossfire in a custom loop. I suspect that AMD is trying to avoid the noise problem they had with reference 290x coolers, but I will still bet that Fury X is going to generate a ton of heat.

Making a card come with a closed loop is pretty inconvenient, frankly, for at least two reasons. First, you've got to find space to put the mandatory rad, which will probably be a pain for some people. Second, what if you want to put these in a custom loop?

I think there is going to be a non WC R9 Fury card. It has the same TBP so I would assume it is just a slightly under locked version. Grab that one an put it in a custom loop.

would be pretty cool if AIBs offered bare cards with just an OEM designed PCB and no cooler at a slightly discounted price for people who were gonna just put a block on it

would be pretty cool if AIBs offered bare cards with just an OEM designed PCB and no cooler at a slightly discounted price for people who were gonna just put a block on it

that won't happen warranty issues ;)

I remember one guy going from different busses, cut off a part of the pci-e connector to fit it into an agp slot lol

that won't happen warranty issues ;)

I remember one guy going from different busses, cut off a part of the pci-e connector to fit it into an agp slot lol

he couldve done that with a card that already had a cooler attached

not sure I get your point

people do stupid things :), and if adding their own cooler to a card is under warranty things can go very wrong. its easy to flip some power pins around and fry the card.

People who might be mad = Titan X owners (going to be undercut by both)

People who should be happy to see all this performance from both brands at decent pricing = everyone else.
I'm a Titan X owner and I'm not mad at all. This kind of competition could mean the next Titan will be $650 and the __80 Ti will be $550. I'm also happy to see AMD fans finally get a new product to be excited about.

How much is the Fury X suppose to be again? Hopefully $550. Make NVIDIA drop the 980Ti prices!

Fury can help drop the 9870 Ti's prices hopefully so I can snag two of them and sell my Titan X. I just want more VRAM than 4GB.

He's talking about the latest Panasonic TVs.

I think Panasonic is the only TV manufacturer that has been incorporating DP. Every other vendor has been using HDMI... which sucks because DisplayPort is the superior interface and Sony's XBRs don't have them.
Well DP isn't common on audio and cable boxes hdmi is so rather shove more hdmi on tv's rather than dp. Problem with adaptors is if the adaptors will keep the hdcp support else that can cause issues.

people do stupid things :), and if adding their own cooler to a card is under warranty things can go very wrong. its easy to flip some power pins around and fry the card.

adding your own cooler is already under warranty by certain brands (MSI; ASUS, Gigabyte)

Well DP isn't common on audio and cable boxes hdmi is so rather shove more hdmi on tv's rather than dp. Problem with adaptors is if the adaptors will keep the hdcp support else that can cause issues.

'm fine with HDMI formats continuing to exist in the living room. I'd prefer to keep my receiver as long as possible.

Enough people bought Titan and Titan X that we will not see future versions come to market below $1000.

It depends on AMD, really.

Previous Titans capitalized on the fact that they were way faster than anything they had at the time. If AMD released the 290X/Fury X a lot earlier, there's no way NVIDIA could justify the $1000 price tag.

yep its all about competition if there is none there is no reason to price lower.

It depends on AMD, really.

Previous Titans capitalized on the fact that they were way faster than anything they had at the time. If AMD released the 290X/Fury X a lot earlier, there's no way NVIDIA could justify the $1000 price tag.

If you're right, do you think the price of the Titan X will come down if Fury X beats it?

My guess is that it will not. It's still a halo product from nVidia. People will buy it regardless of what else is in the market, including the 980ti. They'll justify it however they wish or simply not care about the price.

'm fine with HDMI formats continuing to exist in the living room. I'd prefer to keep my receiver as long as possible.

Bingo. I'm not about to replace my $2000 receiver, which acts as the HDMI switch for a bunch of media devices and my Gaming/HTPC.

Even the sub-$200 GTX960 has HDMI 2.0, so AMD really has no excuse here.

Do you think msi or some other company will put out a non-reference with hdmi 2.0? If so I may wait to buy this.

Would be a mighty shame if Fury X didn't have a Lightning version.

I for one am stoked to see AMD come out with something not only unique, but genuinely competitive. A beast of a card at stock that comes with a friggin factory watercooler and plenty of OC headroom. I have to admit, it has me salivating and if funds permit it, I will absolutely be in the market for one.

Well done, AMD. Well done.

I dunno man, no DVI mean you can't use it with that 120Hz Korean IPS panel you have, no HDMI 2.0 means you'll have to game at 30Hz on your 40" 4K TV. And lastly it offers only 4GB of HBM, meaning it's not even 4K ready. Sounds like a dud to me, so you may as well forget this card even exists and just buy the 980 Ti instead.

/sarcasm

Last edited:
Do you think msi or some other company will put out a non-reference with hdmi 2.0? If so I may wait to buy this.

The watercooled model is NOT allowed to be modified, similar to the Titan. The air cooled model is I believe, which comes out in July.

I dunno man, no DVI mean you can't use it with that 120Hz Korean IPS panel you have, no HDMI 2.0 means you'll have to game at 30Hz on your 40" 4K TV. And lastly it offers only 4GB of HBM, meaning it's not even 4K ready. Sounds like a dud to me, so you may as well forget this card even exists and just buy the 980 Ti instead.

/sarcasm

Thanks for the heads up I am going to get me a sweet 980ti :p

I for one am stoked to see AMD come out with something not only unique, but genuinely competitive. A beast of a card at stock that comes with a friggin factory watercooler and plenty of OC headroom. I have to admit, it has me salivating and if funds permit it, I will absolutely be in the market for one.

Well done, AMD. Well done.

crushed Nvidia in all line ups.
awesome move.

And lastly it offers only 4GB of HBM, meaning it's not even 4K ready.
Can we please stop spouting this bullshit about 4GB not being enough for 4K. Someone show me a game benchmark where it really shows that 4GB is not enough because I haven't seen one. Not here and elsewhere.

Atm you can't max out games at 4K with single Fury X, TX, you name it so the VRAM concerns become moot. It might hold some candle if you are driving 4x TX against 4x Furys and can MAX the games at 4K but we will see it when someone decides to do that test.

Yes its a bitch thing to not have HDMI 2.0, though I don't really care and I've wanted DP only card for a while now, too bad they just decided to use full size DP's and not mDP

I saw something that they are only 1.4? Thats what the amd rep said on overclock.net at least.

If this cant do 4k60hz thru hdmi its kinda a deal breaker for me as I want to get a 4k tv for gaming.

Do not get a TV for gaming. TV's have tons of input lag.

Back