Frys going out of Business

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by fightingfi, Aug 27, 2019.

1. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

Wow...I haven't been there in a long time since I live north of Seattle and as you said, it's generally not worth the traffic. But that's sad to see. The times I had been there years ago it was pretty cool.

2. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Reading between the lines, I think Fry's has been trying and failing at quietly transitioning to a strictly online retailer. Stock probably isn't being replenished at all these stores as they are simply riding out the rest of their leases.

3. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

There is no real evidence of Fry's shifting into an online retailer. If you got to their website, its clear that they intend it to be store focused.

4. cjcox

cjcox [H]ard|Gawd

IMHO, Fry's and "clear" are not friends currently.

Armenius likes this.
  5. BlueLineSwinger

BlueLineSwinger Gawd

The Palo Alto store is now closed. Ostensibly, it's because they lost the lease (there is a redevelopment effort in the area), but FWIW original reports had them closing the location next month.

Armenius likes this.
  6. cjcox

cjcox [H]ard|Gawd

Ranulfo likes this.
  7. BlueLineSwinger

BlueLineSwinger Gawd

Yeah, Sunnyvale was the original. They're currently on their third store there, however, which is how Palo Alto was the "oldest operating" location.

Armenius likes this.
  8. xorbe

xorbe [H]ardness Supreme

Wrt computer parts, seemed like Fry's tried to move parts to people that weren't savvy enough to have a look online. 99% of their usb thumb drives were old and slow, and the couple models that were recent cost twice what they did online and were locked in a plastic cabinet by the rep's PC. Best Buy does the same thing ... I went in to get a particular GPS unit. Only the old model was on the shelf. When I asked the rep ... he got me the new model from their stock room, same price.

Armenius likes this.
  9. Silentbob343

Silentbob343 [H]ard|Gawd

The Duluth GA location is closed, they have a sign on the front doors directing customers to the Milton GA location.

The mall that is next door is also a ghost town, it was used for stranger things filming and the parking lot is full of car dealer inventory.

10. cjcox

cjcox [H]ard|Gawd

Decisions, decisions.... do I look for tech at Fry's or Kroger? I'm thinking Kroger is a better bet.

Armenius likes this.
  11. TheSandman21

TheSandman21 Gawd

I've been rooting for Microcenter to buy out Frys.

12. cjcox

cjcox [H]ard|Gawd

IMHO, Microcenter is "right sized". Buying the ginormous store sizes of Fry's would be a huge mistake. Unless you want to see Microcenter disappear.

tungt88, Rvenger, LightsOut41 and 6 others like this.
  13. THUMPer

THUMPer 2[H]4U

What would an MC store manager make in a year? 60k?

14. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

They have no reason to do so. Fry's likely carries a ton of debt with it and given how they are doing, it would require major course correction and a huge cash infusion to turn Fry's around. I'm not sure its even possible in the current market. Microcenter probably doesn't have the cash to buy out Fry's anyway, and even if it did, I think it would be a mistake that could even cause them to go under as well.

15. Ripskin

Ripskin 2[H]4U

Was in the Plano location a few days ago and it looked like they had received some additional items for a few sections (not many) compared to the pictures above but most of the crap was over priced compared to competitors and listed as clearance or still picked over. Seems like more cost to keep it limping along in the current state.

Armenius likes this.
  16. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

Which has been reported on. Frankly, even if someone wanted to pursue this, it would be hard to get the real info on the matter. No one there is likely to tell some stranger what's going on. That's also assuming anyone you found would know anything.

Armenius and Legendary Gamer like this.
  17. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

Should be decent pay if people are willing to move for those jobs. Like the manager at my MC in MD moved from Arizona to manage the store.

18. TheSandman21

TheSandman21 Gawd

Yeah, buy out was probably the wrong term. I should have said "looking to expand into certain markets where they do not already have a presence".... because between the imminent demise of Frys and losing NewEgg Will Call pickup in the last year... I'm not looking to go back to Best Buy for component shopping, and a 4 hour trip to the nearest MC isn't exactly doable on a regular basis. :D

19. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

I think the issue with that is cashflow, even if they want to expand into a market they don't have a presence, I really doubt they have the cash to do it.

20. cjcox

cjcox [H]ard|Gawd

21. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

The Sunnyvale location seems dead when I visit. No more movies, cpus almost dry. Tons of the same PC case littered everywhere to fill shelves. Last time I went I just got a drink cause that's all that was in stock.

Armenius likes this.
  22. BlueLineSwinger

BlueLineSwinger Gawd

Looks like Fry's is starting to consider redeveloping and/or selling off their properties:
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/10/industrial-mega-developer-eyes-frys-north-san-jose-site/

Not the first Bay Area site I'd of thought to go this way. Campbell is a small POS store in a high-traffic location that should go for a high price (assuming they actually own it, I'm not sure). Sunnyvale also has a large lot with room to add a couple stripmall-type buildings for smaller stores/restaurants/etc.

23. wra18th

wra18th [H]ardness Supreme

I've never been to a Fry's because there aren't any in my neck of the woods. But Microcenter is my Disneyland. Just one in NJ and I'm 10 miles away. I spent $8K in one day there.

24. Flogger23m

Flogger23m [H]ardForum Junkie

Seemed cleaner than one of the other bay area ones. If I recall, Campbell was in that out dated shopping center that would probably be rebuilt from the ground up. Seems like that would've been the one to go first.

25. xorbe

xorbe [H]ardness Supreme

The old AMD building was demolished to make way for another round of condos I believe. Sunnyvale Fry's would make a great location for a grocery store. In fact, I'm gonna call that in as my wager right now.

26. THUMPer

THUMPer 2[H]4U

Just to add fuel here. Fishers, IN store. This is the Motherboard, CPU, and RAM wall. Empty.

They also either turned off the heat, or set it so low, that the remaining employees are wearing jackets, and using space heaters at their stations. The roof is leaking. They do have some new products, some Zalman cases, and a lot of Gamdias stuff. But nothing worth a damn.
    IMG_20200122_125049.jpg

27. The Cobra

The Cobra 2[H]4U

I was out in Seattle over the MLK Holiday weekend and visited the Renton store location. The shelves were basically empty except for the junk they xurrently sell. They had a few low-end video cards and some low-end CPUs, but most of those areas were cleared out. I have spent a ton of money at both the Renton and Palo Alto locations in the years I lived in the SF Bay area and Seattle metro areas. Just another big box location that will eventually bite the dust.

Flogger23m likes this.
  28. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

Bitwit's Kyle and Wifeysauce visited the Fry's in their local area (as well as the Vegas store) and this is what they found

29. The Cobra

The Cobra 2[H]4U

Damn

Attached Files:

30. THUMPer

THUMPer 2[H]4U

The excuse that it's been "like this for a few weeks" is bullshit. My Frys have been empty for over a year.

Kwaz likes this.
  31. Kwaz

Kwaz Whine & Cheezy

Same here. Maybe almost 2 years now.

JosiahBradley and THUMPer like this.
  32. capnstabn

capnstabn Limp Gawd

Yeah that Fry's feels a million years old. The one in Irving is a little better, but I'd rather just go to Microcenter.

33. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Wow that is sad it's like Amazon is the Vendor in charge feel the same way about Walmart lots of stuff that doesnt sell very well. Usually goes to the clearance section and I'm just a number there anyway.

34. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

I was in the Dallas location four or five years ago when it was raining. They had shopping carts filled with plastic as well as plastic buckets all over the store to catch the water from dozens of holes in the roof. The building was so badly maintained it was almost comical.