Frys going out of Business

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by fightingfi, Aug 27, 2019.

1. TheSlySyl

TheSlySyl Limp Gawd

Just need it to last long enough for me to get a potential deal on a r9 3900x on Black Friday!

I doubt that'll happen, but it would be nice.

2. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

Hall products don't get discounts on BF. BF is for the garbage that they couldn't sale through out the year. I don't know why people still think BF is so awesome for sales.

3. MrGuvernment

MrGuvernment [H]ard as it Gets

because those same people do not follow prices through out the year and not until their friends tell them that they actually paid more for said item, than say 6 months ago.

vegeta535 likes this.
  4. UnknownSouljer

UnknownSouljer [H]ardness Supreme

If you're still going to brick and mortar for BF and Cyber Monday then you're doing it wrong. Slickdeals and online in general is the way to get all your coverage.
    B&M just do bait and switch or those prices for the first 1-5 customers or all that kind of nonsense you can't hope to really combat unless you want to take lethal force while shopping and also camp out hours if not days ahead.
    However, I don't disagree. The sales have become more and more worthless. As commentary, this is a mistake by retailers that aren't willing to give honest BF sales because people are starting to figure this out. They're just sending more people online quickening their demise.

5. topcat989

topcat989 Hamarabe Lover

You do (did) NOT fo into Fry's expecting competent help for your needs or problem solving. For those that were geeks though and knew what they wanted Fry's was AWESOME.

Great sales every week, including combo packs like cpu/mobo and sometimes even cpu/mobo/ram

huge magazine rack next to indoor cafe so you could have a drink or lunch and chill with 4-5 magazines like Maximum PC, Computer Shopper, PC Gamer, Playboy er, I meant Photography Today, etc

Fry's was THE store that had the little esoteric stuff like uncommon connectors and cables you couldn't find anywhere else except by ordering online, they even beat Rat Shack at this

So many good memories of Fry's, esp in the heyday of late 90's thru 2000's

schizrade, N4CR and termite like this.
  6. leezard

leezard [H]ardness Supreme

Stopped in the Houston Frys on 45 North a month or so ago and it was a ghost town. The one on 59 is still pretty packed every time I go by/in. I've never been to the one south on 45 (the NASA themed one) I used to have a Microcenter closer to home so it was my goto store, but they moved further away. Frys and MC are about the same drive now so if I cant buy online I'll go to whichever has the best deal.

7. Verge

Verge [H]ardness Supreme

No way, i wanted him to shut the heck up and unlock the case. Like i'm trying to get a CPU and he keeps telling me "na man, buy this ram, that cpu won't help you".... Little turd was gatekeeping me. They had to get a bonus or something for selling that ram.

8. THUMPer

THUMPer 2[H]4U

I haven't been in a while, but when selecting my location for Motherboards, or CPU's it comes back and says No products available. The last time I was there the Mobo shelves were pretty empty, so if they really don't have anything in stock, it's crazy.

9. schizrade

schizrade [H]ardness Supreme

City of Industry, the whole store was like this:

IMG_20191109_101439.jpg

F.E.A.R. and THUMPer like this.
  10. Ebernanut

Ebernanut [H]ard|Gawd

Damn, how much money are they blowing through keeping empty stores like that open?

I can't imagine they're making enough to pay for keeping the lights on much less pay for even a minimum crew.

11. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

The cost of a lease in places like California should be enough to just shut them down. Guess must be cheaper to keep them open then breaking a lease?

Ebernanut likes this.
  12. Ebernanut

Ebernanut [H]ard|Gawd

I wasn't sure if they were leased or owned, that's often a sunk cost for a bit no matter what but it seems like they'd be ahead by shutting down just based on saved wages and energy alone.

If I walked into a store that looked like the picture above I'd likely walk out even if they somehow managed to have what I wanted simply because I wouldn't trust them to still be open next week if I needed to return it. It's a shame because Frys is the only store like that within a couple hours from where I live and it appears to be one of the ones that's dying, walking through the pc section always made me feel like a kid in an Egghead store.

13. schizrade

schizrade [H]ardness Supreme

It has to be, cause that is prime shopping real estate. Right off a freeway, easy access with amenities.

More:

Apple Area:

apple.jpg

Video Cards:
    video cards.jpg

Home Theater
    home theater.jpg

Pringle, vegeta535 and Ebernanut like this.
  14. Ebernanut

Ebernanut [H]ard|Gawd

That's not so bad.

Plenty of dongles left and the video card section has more cards than during the crypto craze.

15. merlin704

merlin704 The Great Procrastinator

I go to the one here in Webster, TX when I am in the area. My 3rd old daughter likes the Space Theme so we stop in to walk around and let her have fun checking out all the space stuff. Then we take her to Space Center for the real stuff. :)

That being said, the Webster store has very little inventory though some hidden gems can be found. I needed a new router and they had the Asus AC1900 marked down to $35. Not bad considering Amazon wants $130 for it.