Fresh news off the rumor-block: HD7xxx in mid-Jan 2012, 2048sp for 7970XT, more.....!

Somebody hack a link from Newegg to see what pricing is.

1080p ??? is this shit srs
THIS IS FUCKING 2011

p.s o i see numbers for 5760/1080
and it does better than 6990 O__O
now i need numbers for 2560/1600

I am not sure why you guys are disappointed? It looks like a normal progression as seen with every new gen??
Looks good to me!

I am not sure why you guys are disappointed? It looks like a normal progression as seen with every new gen??
Looks good to me!

Well, it's barely faster than a gtx 580 in some of those and some of the less powerful Nvidia cards beats it in F1. Most likely a driver thing there, I would hope.

they don't seem that bad at least from those its not another bulldozer, I've been holding off can't wait to see the hard benchmarks. More in the market for the 7950 so I can't wait to see it

It's between a 580 and a 6990 on almost every single test, which is the majority of us expected. I don't see how that is in any way disappointing; it's exactly what every realistic person expected.

It really excels at the super high res/super high settings. The ultra-[H] enthusiasts are going to love that. Toss in the new ability to make your own crossfire profiles and some word on crossfire scaling and we're going to have some very happy rich people.

Now where are those who said at least 50% improvements over the previous generation?
Games are more CPU bound at lower resolutions. Take a look at the high-res sections.

Last edited:
Now where are those who said at least 50% improvements over the previous generation?

1080p ??? is this shit srs
THIS IS FUCKING 2011

p.s o i see numbers for 5760/1080
and it does better than 6990 O__O
now i need numbers for 2560/1600

Yea 7970 isn't mindblowing, a 6990 will often beat it by quite a bit, but it is looking to be a solid card. Performance wise its not at all disappointing. The main problem is the high price, the old $350-400 price point for high end single GPU AMD cards was pretty decent, but given they'll have the fastest single GPU for at least 3-6 months its not surprising they're gonna try and milk that lead for all its worth.

e: \/\/\/\/ well price gouging always comes into play at launch but for $550 vs. the GTX580 its technically a good deal, we're just not used to seeing such high MSRP's from AMD \/\/\/\/\/

Last edited:
Looking at the performance, the 7970 might be priced the same as the GTX580 or lower to defeat the GTX580 in sales. If priced higher, then it really is not competing with the 580. The next gen Nvidia GPU (gtx780) will be faster than the 7970 basing on previous track records.

Based off these benches, the 7970 is anywhere between 25%-50% faster than the 6970... and seeing as how teh 6970 and 580 trade blows from time to time, I think this is a pretty good improvement. If you thought it was going to be faster than a 6990 or leaps and bounds over a 580, you were dreaming. Now, if the price is right ( $350-400) I'll sell my current 6970 and buy 2 of these bad boys, either way, I'll probably sell the 6970 and buy one anyway. *crosses fingers for decent drivers upon release*

guru3d review is up
says $549 usd for 7970 -.-
Oh wow...it's 70-90% faster than my 5870 in that review. I guess that would be enough to warrant an upgrade for me.

If the Kepler is a monster whenever it gets released, I'll just sell and upgrade again for a little loss.

7950 should be about as fast as the gtx580.

Right now google shopping only brings up this here for 7970. Says they're getting 5 cards in stock on the 8th. Unless we get lucky we can probably expect similar pricing (they want $619 for em') and availability probably until at least Feb.

I wouldn't say its a disappointing card, though I was expecting more out of it, at least its not power hungry and didn't underperform unlike Bulldozer. I like how the card uses less power than a GTX 580 and has 20% performance increase which I consider is a good thing.

The overclocking is amazing and I'd imagine 2 overclocked in crossfire running an eyefinity setup woudl be over 60% more powerful than a GTX 580 3GB SLi combo or a 6970 Crossfire combo. I'm excited. Waiting to see if 7950 will be my stopgap until Kepler, which my gut tells me will be the cards to rule them all.

yeah i have no data to back it up kepler will probably be much quicker but who knows what if it is a space heater

The edited info about the 7970XT says that it has an MSRP of $450? I thought it will be at $549. I hope the info is right.

Theres nothing disappointing here other than the price.
If this was $450, you'd all be shitting yourselves. You cant even buy one yet.
It will get there, once the competition wakes up....... (Does Nvidia seriously have nothing for the next 6 months? Thats some dumb shit right there...)

Theres nothing disappointing here other than the price.
If this was $450, you'd all be shitting yourselves. You cant even buy one yet.
It will get there, once the competition wakes up....... (Does Nvidia seriously have nothing for the next 6 months? Thats some dumb shit right there...)

I agree. I like everything about this card except for the price. Shit, for 450 bucks it would be day one purchase for me. I'm still on the fence waiting to see how is going to play out with 7950, or if by any miracle Nvidia starts leaking some stuff.

Back