Fresh news off the rumor-block: HD7xxx in mid-Jan 2012, 2048sp for 7970XT, more.....!

GoldenTiger

Fully [H]
Here is the latest... launch during CES 2012 (Jan 10-12).

EDIT NEW INFO

We'll see how accurate will this turn out to be...

"Ladies and Gentlemen with graphics card upgrade plans, circle the date January 09, 2012, for this is going to be the day AMD will launch its next generation high-performance graphics cards in the Radeon HD 7900 series, according to reliable market sources DonanimHaber spoke with. On the 9th, AMD is expected to unveil at least two new SKUs in the HD 7900 series, most likely, HD 7970 and HD 7950. These will be based on the new 28 nm "Tahiti" silicon that will use completely redesigned number-crunching machinery, and a very wide memory bus."

http://www.techpowerup.com/156641/January-9-Launch-Date-for-AMD-Radeon-HD-7900.html

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...-mix-gcn-with-vliw4--vliw5-architectures.aspx
Starting next week, AMD is going to organize Tech Days in several destinations around the globe, such as London or Paris - during which the company is going to present 28nm Radeon HD 7000 series.

There is a lot of rumors flying around the web, some of which are spun by AMD themselves to raise confusion, as the Radeon HD 7000 series is going to mix the existing VLIW4 and VLIW5 architectures with the "Graphics Core Next" (GCN), introduced during June's Fusion Development Summit held in Bellevue, WA.

Starting next week, AMD is going to organize Tech Days in several destinations around the globe, such as London or Paris - during which the company is going to present 28nm Radeon HD 7000 series.

I've edited in the 7970PRO speeds for clarity.

Some quotes from XS...

Sentential @ XS summary said:
Radeon HD7970XT:
2048 processing cores 1ghz
128 Texture Memory Units
3GB GDDR5 (384bit) @ 5.5ghz
MSRP $450

Radeon HD7970PRO:
1920 processing cores @ 900mhz
120 Texture Memory Units
1.5GB GDDR5 (384/256bit) @ 5ghz
MSRP $350

For Comparison:

HD6970
1536 Stream Processors @ 880mhz
96 Texture Units
1GB GDDR5 (256bit) @ 5ghz

B3D's neilz is saying there won't be much of a perf/transistor improvement.

Quick summary of change from AffenJack:

7970XT against 6970 would be:
33% More Shaders
33% More Texture Units
13,6% Higher Clock Speed
65% Higher Memory Bandwidth
51% more Gflops

Add a bit higher Efficiency of GCN to it and we are at a normal 70% jump like from 4870 to 5870.

So there you have it... the rumors have taken shape and seem pretty firm at this point.

Last edited:
Wow a 70% performance increase. O_O. What is that compared to my aging 1900XT?

Well, 70% is speculation, but I'd guess 60%-70% isn't out of the realm of possibility at all. Compared to a 1900XT we're talking several times stronger a card ;) plus all the goodies like DX11 nowadays.

Might pick up on of these for my backup gaming rig, might be a nice boost of my aging GTX 480 though honestly that card still has zero problems with just a single display but I might do an Eyefinity setup with it,

So, mid January launch confirmed? When is Nvidia launching Kepler? If Kepler isn't launching anytime soon, it's going to be hard for me to resist, come January....:eek:

Even a 50% increase would be quite insane. I can't wait for the next gen GPUs, its gonna be insane from both sides I believe :eek:

Whichever is out and performs best by March ~25th or so will be my choice(Birthday on March 31st, so Nvidia better get theirs out)

So, mid January launch confirmed? When is Nvidia launching Kepler? If Kepler isn't launching anytime soon, it's going to be hard for me to resist, come January....:eek:

Same... I will admit I prefer nVidia's cards due to drivers, but it will be very hard indeed to resist... hopefully we'll have some news on Kepler soon enough! Truth is, I'll probably go with whichever's here first assuming the performance delivers.

I think late H1? Early H2? I recall something about them coming several months after AMD's 7xxx series.

Going to be interesting if that's true. Along with a performance boost I'd imagine the performance-per-watt to be quite incredible as well. Maybe even power an eyefinity setup with three 1080 monitors with a backed by a single AMD GPU? A boy can hope...

they did with the original Southern Isles, i dont see why they wouldnt again...

Same... I will admit I prefer nVidia's cards due to drivers, but it will be very hard indeed to resist... hopefully we'll have some news on Kepler soon enough! Truth is, I'll probably go with whichever's here first assuming the performance delivers.

Yeah, I'm thinking of going with Nvidia this time around, but if they're not coming out with Kepler until 6 months later, screw that! I ain't waiting 6 months, especially since the world is going to end next year. :p

Yeah, I'm thinking of going with Nvidia this time around, but if they're not coming out with Kepler until 6 months later, screw that! I ain't waiting 6 months! :D

Exactly... I definitely don't want to wait the extra time that I could be enjoying the better performance with instead. If it's looking like there's going to be much of a gap, I'm going to go with the 79xx cards. I'm thinking seriously of going for the $450-list card there... these things should have the horsepower to back high AA @ 2560x1600 I'm thinking :D.

Exactly... I definitely don't want to wait the extra time that I could be enjoying the better performance with instead. If it's looking like there's going to be much of a gap, I'm going to go with the 79xx cards. I'm thinking seriously of going for the $450-list card there... these things should have the horsepower to back high AA @ 2560x1600 I'm thinking :D.

ooooohhhhhh....SSAA Edge Detect on skyrim without crossfire!!!!!

lol

ooooohhhhhh....SSAA Edge Detect on skyrim without crossfire!!!!!

lol

Do you think two of them would enhance my performance further? :p (I'll be going crossfire with whichever model I get :p, moving from GTX 570 SLI).

Crossfire, hummm. AMD has been dropping the ball left and right on Crossfire with newer releases. I could go for one HD7970XT is the performance is there.

Yeah, gonna have to see how things are come launch... hopefully they shape up in time, I'd hate to have to wait on the nVidia solution if it's going to be several months behind (hopefully it'll be much shorter though)!

Crossfire, hummm. AMD has been dropping the ball left and right on Crossfire with newer releases. I could go for one HD7970XT is the performance is there.

As long as it's not a disaster like my GTX 470s were, we should be fine. My PSU should be able to handle two 7870s.

As long as it's not a disaster like my GTX 470s were, we should be fine. My PSU should be able to handle two 7870s.

What problems did you have with the 470s? I had 3x SLI 480s and they are pretty solid for the 6 months I had them.

What problems did you have with the 470s? I had 3x SLI 480s and they are pretty solid for the 6 months I had them.

My PSU couldn't handle them with my overclocked 970 in certain games, power draw draw was simply too much.

So we're back to the XT/Pro naming scheme? Jesus make up your goddamn minds with the names you indecisive bastards. Oh, and weren't the 6xxx series cards supposed to be like 50-70% faster too?? Yeah, that didn't happen.

Either way, I'm waiting for nv's next cards before I do anything. Unless it just sucks, I'm going green. Sick and tired of amd's shit drivers.

So we're back to the XT/Pro naming scheme? Jesus make up your goddamn minds with the names you indecisive bastards. Oh, and weren't the 6xxx series cards supposed to be like 50-70% faster too?? Yeah, that didn't happen.

Either way, I'm waiting for nv's next cards before I do anything. Unless it just sucks, I'm going green. Sick and tired of amd's shit drivers.
Yeah, after further thinking I am gonna home out for the nvidia stuff too. Driver hassles just aren't worth it.... nv has been solid for me. I think the xt and pro thing is just a codename as usual. Hope we see solid info on nvidia soon. Would love to see them in Jan or Feb.

Ok so ill dump my 3 6970's and replace them with 3 7970s, thats gonna be real sweet, They draw less power and less heat! I cant wait.
Im sure i can sell these cards for a couple hundred a piece, and just pay the difference thats gonna rok!

I grabbed a 5870 within two days of release. It's still a fine card even today, and has been in my machine longer than any video card I've ever had.

Probably will do the same with these. I can't imagine Nvidia's parts are going to be much better, and I don't want to wait an indefinite amount of months to find out. If they're good enough, I can always sell the 7XXX at a modest loss. I won't wait out six to eight months for something that might be mildly better when I could have had the performance all that time for the $50-$100 hit I'd take on a resale.

you cant just compare raw data because its a different architecture. but the next gen should be atleast 30% faster than current gen.

Hm, if they do 60+% performance gain and 3GB VRAM, these might be really interesting. Not sure if nVidia will be able to compete this time around, especially if they come real late to the game. Knowing AMD though, they will screw up the drivers on launch pretty royally.

Those have been their internal designations for quite a while. The actual card names will be different most likely. The 6970 is the XT and the 6950 was the pro, same with 5870/5850, 4870/4850 etc.

40nm -> 28nm is a huge leap, like going from 4870 -> 5870.

Not like 5870 -> 6970 (Same 40nm).

I'm fully expecting Tahiti XT to be = 6990

I've never been brand loyal, but this round I'm going to *try* to hold out for Kepler. I'm just hoping the wait time isn't the rumored 6 months that's been going around. If the XT improves on the 6970 by 60%+, it's going to be hard to resist picking up a pair.

Anyone else think those memory specs are off? Only 1.5GB for the PRO and it lists the 6970 as only 1GB too...

So will this be a hard or paper launch?
Most of AMD's launches haven't been very papery. They have a tendency to keep a tight lid until they're really sure. I'll wait for official word from AMD, but BSN and Semiaccurate have reliable sources inside TSMC, and they've both reported a January timeframe.

It's so hard to resist upgrading my video cards.... ugh. I might have to try finding another 6950 2gb for crossfire next spring. I hope I can buy a used one for <$175.

I'd be keen on AMD but the lack of a real 3D solution is a deal-killer, especially when there's nothing else to do with all that extra horsepower except Eyefinity. All it's got is "HD3D", which is nothing but a hodgepodge of half-baked solutions, or in fact, just Samsung's two new monitors from what I can see.

3DVision is far from perfect, especially when it comes to number of supported games, so I certainly can't imagine that AMD's far less refined stuff is going to suffice in this department.

Another unfortunate issue is drivers. It seems like there hasn't been a single major release where AMD has been on the ball recently. I'm glad I dropped 6950 CF when I did because it's just been one disappointment after another. Part of it is the fault of the driver team, part of it is just that Nvidia has more money and muscle. Whatever the reason, the end result is the same.

While 3D gaming isn't for everyone, it is amazing when it works well. Skyrim is exhibit A of how amazing it can be. And with 3D Vision 2, the tech has been refined such that you don't lose half the brightness to play the game anymore.

While 3D gaming isn't for everyone, it is amazing when it works well. Skyrim is exhibit A of how amazing it can be. And with 3D Vision 2, the tech has been refined such that you don't lose half the brightness to play the game anymore.

Yeah, a 3D Vision 2 kit is what I asked my wife for for Christmas. Do you have it yet?

Skyrim isn't my kind of game but Batman AC is and 3D is also excellent in that title. There's been a fair number of 3D titles out this year. I'd say that 3D has turned a corner on the content side this year, there a plenty of good 3D games now.

But I'm with you. Gots to have some 3D for my main gaming rig these days. It really can add to a game when done well and just adds a nice visual element. I could pick up a AMD card for my backup gaming rig but without a solid 3D implementation I'm just not jazzed about AMD cards.

Back