Fresh news off the rumor-block: HD7xxx in mid-Jan 2012, 2048sp for 7970XT, more.....!

What about the 7990? I'll probably stick with my 6990/6970 tri-fire setup until they come out, then make the jump to quadfire. Go big or go home :)

that'd be sooo nice, can't wait to see the new build threads of these beastly setups

also it'd be neat to see how kepler fares

hell it'd be nice to have benches of either/both

What about the 7990? I'll probably stick with my 6990/6970 tri-fire setup until they come out, then make the jump to quadfire. Go big or go home :)

I think the 7990 won't be out until late Feb/early March.

Thinking about the potential of the 7970, I am anticipating the ungodly performance of the 7990, especially if ASUS brings out a ROG Ares II/III...

Last edited:
anyone hear anything about eyefinity with the 7xxx series? are you still going to need a active dp adapter to run three monitors?

anyone hear anything about eyefinity with the 7xxx series? are you still going to need a active dp adapter to run three monitors?

I don't think that's going to change.

There was another thread here where a couple [H] users were going back and forth over Eyefinity and Display Port arguing who was right or not.

One guy however made a good point and I'll summarize it as best as possible:

It'd be too costly to include the necessary chip logic on the graphics card itself to not require an active DP adapter on the passive DP/non-DP connections. Hence, only one or two are passive, and one is always active. The passive connections will require an active adapter.​

I wish I can find that post again, but he does make a good point. I don't know how much more money it'd add to the card itself if all the ports were active and not passive. I know these active DP adapters can run over $100 depending on brand, and I've seen a few priced below that. Maybe that's something to think about.

We'll see how accurate will this turn out to be...

"Ladies and Gentlemen with graphics card upgrade plans, circle the date January 09, 2012, for this is going to be the day AMD will launch its next generation high-performance graphics cards in the Radeon HD 7900 series, according to reliable market sources DonanimHaber spoke with. On the 9th, AMD is expected to unveil at least two new SKUs in the HD 7900 series, most likely, HD 7970 and HD 7950. These will be based on the new 28 nm "Tahiti" silicon that will use completely redesigned number-crunching machinery, and a very wide memory bus."

http://www.techpowerup.com/156641/January-9-Launch-Date-for-AMD-Radeon-HD-7900.html

There was another thread here where a couple [H] users were going back and forth over Eyefinity and Display Port arguing who was right or not.

It'd be too costly to include the necessary chip logic on the graphics card itself to not require an active DP adapter on the passive DP/non-DP connections. Hence, only one or two are passive, and one is always active. The passive connections will require an active adapter.​

I wish I can find that post again, but he does make a good point. I don't know how much more money it'd add to the card itself if all the ports were active and not passive. I know these active DP adapters can run over $100 depending on brand, and I've seen a few priced below that. Maybe that's something to think about.

i believe that was me...although that could have been another forum...

i got into a pissing match with some dude who claimed the flex cards had a 3rd legacy dac, which they dont...its just a resignaled passive DP to HDMI...

its really just inherent in the eyfinity technology...2 legacy dacs + 1 DP dac..the 1st DP can be passive..

Last edited:
Take it with a grain of salt.

New OBR-Hardware game performance slides. Also, apparently the paper launch has been moved up to next week.

slajd2.png

slajd1.jpg

http://www.obr-hardware.com/

hmmm how much should we discount obviously biased vendor benches?

Ahh release time, the best time for ridiculously scaled charts. That one might be the worst offender I've ever seen - really, the 70% faster Crysis 2 bar is 4.5x the length of the other bar?

The OBR guy is saying that the real performance might be dramatically worse than the charts above.

I hope he is wrong!!!!

hope its 22nd launch. id love to get one before xmas. it will be my present to myself

22nd would be great launch. The sooner the better. Was thinking about getting 7950.

7970 is being released in advance because AIBs have been given carte blanche on 7950 configurations from the get go. What does that mean? That means AIBs like Sapphire will be able to bring to market an unlockable 7950 much sooner than the previous generation. AMD knows this will cannibalize sales of the 7970 to a certain extent so they give themselves a (small) window of exclusivity to gobble up all the early adopter enthusiast sales.

OBR's slides are a bad fake, ATI Radeon HD6970? it should be AMD Radeon HD 6970. He also doesn't even know how to spell EMBARGO. Hopefully this will be the end of his site.

if i were going to build a box i'd get either two 7970s or whatever kepler is similar, haha i'm all about just going for overkill when i can

this has nothing to do with the thread im just excited

Whoah what's all this? I'm running a 5850 right now and IIRC I'm using DisplayPort and 2xDVI for my video, I assume that would still be possible to do on the new cards?
I don't bother with Eyefinity gaming, I thought I'd like it - reality is, it's awful having the HUD stretched 4' wide. However I regularly turn on my other 2 monitors for busy times under Windows.

22/30/22 for me.

Whoah what's all this? I'm running a 5850 right now and IIRC I'm using DisplayPort and 2xDVI for my video, I assume that would still be possible to do on the new cards?
I don't bother with Eyefinity gaming, I thought I'd like it - reality is, it's awful having the HUD stretched 4' wide. However I regularly turn on my other 2 monitors for busy times under Windows.

22/30/22 for me.

AFAIK this will be unchanged, you only need an active adapter Dp-->Dvi/Hdmi as long as the resolution is OVER 19x12, ie on monitors 25x16 or larger. 24" monitors and lower requires only a passive adapter.

Back