Forza Horizon 3

the store says 10pm today but not which time zone...

The ultimate edition unlocked at midnight for your time zone. You didn't get it earlier or later based on a regional or global unlock time. If the base game in the same way, it'll unlock at 10PM your time, regardless of where you are.

The ultimate edition unlocked at midnight for your time zone. You didn't get it earlier or later based on a regional or global unlock time. If the base game in the same way, it'll unlock at 10PM your time, regardless of where you are.

Nope, it's after 10PM and game still hasn't unlocked. Maybe it's 10 pm on 27th, so it's still a day to go.

linked to your MS account. Buy it digitally through MS and it's added you your owned games list. You then download through your platforms' store, whether on a PC or Xbox. No codes to enter

Sli is not working in this game. Also people still play Forza games with chase cam :eek:

You know it's weird, I always use in dash cam for immersion when playing regular Forza Motorsport but in the open world of Horizon, I'll switch between both depending on the event.

On circuit tracks I prefer to sit behind the dash and feel like I'm on the track. I get a better feel of where the apex is. But in Horizon there's a lot going on as far as traffic and obstacles, in addition to opponents, and sometimes chase can works best for me so that I can get a better view of my surroundings.

so can we buy the xbox version then use it on pC via a code?

There's no code like Quantum Break.

If you buy a digital copy from microsoft (or a third party like amazon.. doesn't matter as long as it's digital) you can use the game on xbox and PC and swap freely between platforms. It simply puts on your microsoft account that you own the game on xbox and PC. If you buy a physical xbox copy, you can only play on xbox.

Having never messed with these games before I downloaded Apex...wow. It's pretty incredible looking. Not sure about the auto braking thing that's there by default, but it's a beautiful game.
I might have to explore this game.

Having never messed with these games before I downloaded Apex...wow. It's pretty incredible looking. Not sure about the auto braking thing that's there by default, but it's a beautiful game.
I might have to explore this game.

If you grab Forza and don't disable most of the assists, you're missing out on the best part of the game. I think it's a HUGE mistake that the game has ALL assists on by default, I personally only play with ABS. But even with TCS SM and ABS enabled, it still feels better than the full-suite assisted mode.

That game - in normal edition requires some evil mojo to run - I finally made it working, avoiding the crashes at startup so, if it crashes for you just after you see controler layout - go into PC settings and switch of all microphones and recording devices. Yes, I know - it's stupid, it's crazy, but it works.

Then there will be another crash, if you use latest 372.90 drivers, once the intro ends and you are supposed to get that black Lambo. 372.90 do not work, even if they are "FH3 ready" - I went back to 372.70 and they are rock stable (so much about perfect NV drivers).

Running pretty good for me at 1080P, 30FPs locked, and with most everything else cranked up. I would try to dial in 60FPS but every time I've changed settings it wants to spend a few minutes "optimizing". Hopefully patches/and or driver updates will speed this up and otherwise smooth things out.

Next step is to hook up my wheel and get that dialed int. Wife is out of town this weekend... :D

Yeah I'm waiting for any patches that would smooth out some of the performance issues (and/or I'm staying out of Surfer's Paradise for a while).

If you grab Forza and don't disable most of the assists, you're missing out on the best part of the game. I think it's a HUGE mistake that the game has ALL assists on by default, I personally only play with ABS. But even with TCS SM and ABS enabled, it still feels better than the full-suite assisted mode.
Yeah, I discovered that myself with Apex while I was mucking about with it. Everything felt squishy and wrong, corners were goofy as hell. Then I discovered the assists and started turning them off one by one until I got back to something I was more familiar with. (I've been a Gran Turismo person until Forza came to the PC)

I'll have to play around with the assists. I like things to be arcade-y, but with everything on by default it was closer to auto pilot.
I also play in chase cam mode. Cockpit mode feels wrong. I can't explain why, but it just isn't right. In any game.

its the lack of proper FOV and peripheral vision. give me a full wrap around monitor with corresponding FOV, and I'll do just fine with in-car, until then I stick with chase-far. I have similar issues with wheel setups. there is a lot of tactile feedback that you receive through the wheel and pedals, as well as your butt, that you just don't get from a game. throws me off without it.

that being said, the only assist I run is Auto Shifting, everything else is off or in Sim mode.

I use dash cam when I use a wheel, makes me feel like I'm in the driver seat and looking out over the front of the car. When I use a controller (also known as "too lazy to setup the wheel") I like chase cam.

For assists, I prefer Normal steering to Simulated. Manual without clutch, brake line on, cosmetic damage only. I think I get 70% bonus from my assist settings.

How does multiplayer work with the assists? Does full assist give an unfair advantage against someone with no assists? Or does the multiplayer synchronize everybody with the same assists (or lack thereof)?

There's no code like Quantum Break.

If you buy a digital copy from microsoft (or a third party like amazon.. doesn't matter as long as it's digital) you can use the game on xbox and PC and swap freely between platforms. It simply puts on your microsoft account that you own the game on xbox and PC. If you buy a physical xbox copy, you can only play on xbox.

I don't want to derail this thread but is there a source for this? I ask because I really want Gears of War 4 for PC (and this game as well) but it would be awesome if I can technically play it on both PC and Xbox One if I buy it through the MS Store.

EDIT: I just found a link I could actually click on at work. This is fantastic news! I'll probably be picking up Horizon 3 for PC this week.

Last edited:
How does multiplayer work with the assists? Does full assist give an unfair advantage against someone with no assists? Or does the multiplayer synchronize everybody with the same assists (or lack thereof)?

Full assist don't always give you the advantage. With TCS and STM on don't mean you are faster. You're faster with most assists off and shifting. With some cars maybe Auto and TCS are faster for you but a better driver will beat you with assists off.

I run all assists off except auto clutch since I'm using a controller right now. Manual clutch is awkward and uncomfortable for me with a controller.

its the lack of proper FOV and peripheral vision. give me a full wrap around monitor with corresponding FOV, and I'll do just fine with in-car, until then I stick with chase-far. I have similar issues with wheel setups. there is a lot of tactile feedback that you receive through the wheel and pedals, as well as your butt, that you just don't get from a game. throws me off without it.

that being said, the only assist I run is Auto Shifting, everything else is off or in Sim mode.
Racing games is the one genre I think HMDs would be perfect for. VR is amazing in Assetto Corsa.

Not sure if I should ask this here or in the video card forums, but what video card would you recommend for a 2560x1080 (21:9) setup to get the most out of this game?

This is honestly the push I've been needing to finally get a good GPU (and possibly a wheel, but that'll be down the road).

the bigger the better so to speak. This engine was built before the idea of porting to PC, therefor no SLI/Crossfire. So lots of Memory and a lot of muscle in a single card

My 1080 was maxing 1080p out with all the details jacked. No FPS dropped once I set everything to stop trying to be "dynamic." I'd imagine that 25x10 would probably be similar. Worst case you could turn some of the MSAA or shadow settings down a little.

How the hell do you download this game? I'm so confused. I just bought it and redeemed the code and it said that it would automatically start downloading on my Xbox. I don't have an Xbox! I want to play it on PC. Please tell me I didn't buy an Xbox only version...

edit - Loaded up the Xbox app for Windows and I figured it must be in there, but it's not! :(

edit 2 - When I search for it on Windows store app it says I own it. Then when I click the manage button, the only game in my library is Candy Crush. WTF!!!

edit 3 - Got it. Had to open the Windows store app, then actually search for the game in the search bar at the upper right. Only then did it bring me to a page with an install button. That was the most confusing game install experience I've ever had.

Last edited:
How the hell do you download this game? I'm so confused. I just bought it and redeemed the code and it said that it would automatically start downloading on my Xbox. I don't have an Xbox! I want to play it on PC. Please tell me I didn't buy an Xbox only version...

Relax :) The only "xbox only" version is a disc.

In the windows store, click your user icon in the top right and go to "My Library"

AHcEGjL.jpg

Then find Forza Horizon 3 in your list.. and click the download button (highlighted in blue)

NH6Xlcp.jpg

Then it'll download the game.

im running mine on ultra on gtx1080 3440x1440 21:9 ultrawide not getting consistent 60FPS more like 50s-mid 40s
i am running the latest nvidia drivers from 9/21 and i getting a weird glitch on the side (see image)
almost looks like artifacts but its not.

screenshots from in game

edit - Loaded up the Xbox app for Windows and I figured it must be in there, but it's not! :(

edit 2 - When I search for it on Windows store app it says I own it. Then when I click the manage button, the only game in my library is Candy Crush. WTF!!!

edit 3 - Got it. Had to open the Windows store app, then actually search for the game in the search bar at the upper right. Only then did it bring me to a page with an install button. That was the most confusing game install experience I've ever had.

Don't feel bad. We all had the "Who designed the Windows Store!" moment before. Ha ha!

antok86 Try killing off the MSAA first. :)

Turning off motion blur also help for me. And I actually like it better. Seems well locked in at 60 FPS at Ultra with MSAA and Motion blur off at 5760x1080 on the sig rig. No SLI support for just one 1080 driving it. It's a graphical masterpiece and a ton of fun.

Damn... With the Canadian dollar not doing well, I was hoping to not spend $900 on a 1080. At least I know 1070 would be the least I'd want. Could always overclock it.

Also running an Intel Core i5 6600k that isn't overclocked yet (whaaaaaaat?) At least when I do decide to do so, my h100 v2 cooler should be up to the task (been a while since I've started building a desktop again)

I tired to buy the game and it pulled up the payment thing then said error. So guess I cant buy it lol

I have no idea why people are struggling to use the Windows store. Took me less than 30 seconds to find, purchase, and start downloading the game.

I have no idea why people are struggling to use the Windows store. Took me less than 30 seconds to find, purchase, and start downloading the game.
In my case it has nothing to do with struggling to use the windows store, finding or purchasing the game. That's easy. Its giving me an error. I click buy now. The payment window pops up. It loads in with normal click method of payment briefly then it blanks it out and gives me an error.

I have a GTX 980 with an i7 6700k, 16gb ram. I can't go past high on the dynamic settings or the textures start randomly flashing, followed by a crash to desktop with no error.

I went to advanced and set everything to ultra with the same results. I haven't taken the tome to fiddle and see what is causing the issue yet.

In high at 1200p, my GPS is generally at or slightly below 60fps.

My best guess is that my card doesn't have enough VRAM for the higher res textures and the game is poorly coded... Doom 3 doesn't let me select nightmare textures for example...
Darn old crappy GTX 980 LOL!

The game runs just fine on high settings with minor stutter sometimes but that seems to be widely reported with sone sort if fix on the way.

I guess my problem was that I didn't purchase it through the Windows store app. I used Firefox and purchased it from the Microsoft store webpage.
To redeem it, it took me to an Xbox page. Once redeemed, there was no instruction whatsoever on how to download it on PC.
Even when launching the Windows store app, I clicked on the Forza Horizon 3 picture on the front page and it said that I already owned the game with a "Manage" button next to it. So I clicked "Manage" and it took me to "My Library" where the only game was Candy Crush. Huh??
Next, I used the search bar at the upper right to search for "Forza Horizon 3". I clicked on the suggested result and it took me to a different page that actually had an install button. If that's not horrible design, I don't know what is...

IMO, the Windows Store App isn't great, but it's no worse (UI-wise) than Steam, Origin, etc.
The caveats seem to be when purchasing items elsewhere like the Xbox Store or via the web.
The fact that Forza has like 50 revisions and different packages doesn't help either.

Back