Whether you crunch or fold for A or B team, ultimately the project owner and hopefully the world we live in will benefit from it. The whole distributed computing that develops around BOINC eco-system is all about volunteer computing, so my opinion is that you can certainly donate your electricity/rigs to any team you wish too. The by-product of such distributed computing activities is that it encourages some team competitions, fun (bragging, etc) and learning along the way. Just my one cent.

in Seti-Marathon we close the gap to the Catalonia; 100k gain each day; in a bit more then one week we might get them ... and hope they don't bunker now for the event.

8 Catalunya 4 25,451,069 288,073,436 262,622,367
9 [H]ard|OCP 2 24,719,344 180,674,781 155,955,436

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say we got nfs sprint. I have 3boxes that stopped reporting in 2days ago it seems. Ah well good job all.

I think it's safe to say we got nfs sprint. I have 3boxes that stopped reporting in 2days ago it seems. Ah well good job all.

Yeah, you guys killed the competition like literally. Even if all the teams banded together we would have still won easily.

Great team work from all. Got two golds in that process.

I've 975K points for NFS now but will crunch till I hit 1M mark. Shouldn't be that long..

Thinking of doing yoyo next and some seti for WOW.

Just make sure to put [H] in your name at YoYo in case you get any Muon work units. That way it will apply towards our teams stats over on the Muon1's servers. ChristianVirtual you should do the same. It shouldn't mess with your BOINC stats at all doing it since that is all tied to CPID.

???? Yo-Yo ? Muon ? Not just link to team ?

Like I just did will work ok ? Or any rule where to place in the name ?

The stats pull from usernames that have [H] in them. It's just the muon work units though IIRC, so you'll need to join the team for the regular Yoyo stats, but if you put [H] in your username then you'll also be credited points for the team on muon1's server.

That's why my name on BOINC now has [H] on most all of them. I just leave it that way.

Muon is a sub project at YoYo@home. It is actually a project in and of itself outside of BOINC, but YoYo used the BOINC wrapper to help support their project. Muon1 aka DPAD used to be one of our DC-Vault projects, but the admin has declared that the project may not go any further outside of personal interest at this point. So, it has been made a lower priority at YoYo and has been pulled from DC-Vault. They had a weird way of indicating your association with your team by having indicators in the user name. That is why at YoYo you have to do that, so that if anyone looked at the stats page over at Muon1, it would register as part of our team.

Not mission critical, but you never know if the project will resurrect again.

And yes, how you changed your name should suffice. :)

I'm having a hard time finding the completion date for FB. I see all credits are final after December 31st, but I thought it actually ended a month before that?

We are 60 points behind tying for the highest score in the current year with Gridcoin. They have 1005 points and we have 945. We're gaining on them at a steady pace, but we need more. We are in 2nd place in 7 projects right now. This means if we claim 1st in all of them we'll gain 70 points and be ahead of Gridcoin in highest score.

Those projects are as follows:
Asteroids@Home
Collatz Conjecture
Gerasim@Home
LHC@Home
PrimeGrid
Sztaki Desktop Grid
Universe@Home

Most of them are not going to be easy to claim the #1 spot as we're millions of points behind on some of them. So if any of you are looking for any projects to help out on then choose one of those and crunch away.

Here is a link to the complete [H]orde standings in all the marathons.
http://formula-boinc.org/index.py?lang=&team=6928&year=2017

Some of the projects are defunct, but most are not. Also some of them we seem to be far behind (really low rank) but the points aren't that much to catch up to #1. Such as Primaboinca where we are 7th, but we're only 362,000 points behind. The project gives a flat 200 points per WU meaning we only need to return 1,810 WU's to catch #1. Their servers are down right now, so no point in trying at this moment, but they did post on their Twitter account that they're aware of it and it will be fixed. Unfortunately I have 187 WU's I need to report to them but it doesn't look like they're gonna make it before the deadline.

I really think we can complete this FB with the highest ever score, we just need to move our members around to projects that could use the points instead of them staying on projects that we're already #1 by a long shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
SZTAKI is hard to get work from. So, anyone interested in helping there should just attach everything they have and let it pull when it pulls. The work units are typically quick as well. (Some people use VM's to pull a ton of work when available and only have that project attached to them as a bit of trickery)
Gerasim has Intel GPU capable work units but don't always have them available.
Asteroids@Home would probably be best served running your CPU's as GPU's aren't much better there. Concentrate your GPU's elsewhere and help us out in more than one project.
PrimeGrid is popular. GFN should be ran with AMD cards and PPS sieve should be ran with nVidia. I do not recall AP27's requirements. I will say that pre-Ryzen AMD CPU's take way too long and may be better served at other projects due to AVX. I do not know how Ryzen has faired at PG as I've not been paying attention.
Universe could really help our standings both at Formula-BOINC and DC-Vault right now.

I've the same thinking too about going up against GridCoin just in total points. I'm currently on Yoyo but I'm watching closely the The dDM-Project and MindModelling@home periodically. These are easier when there are works available. So patient is the virtue.

This is our only golden chance to snatch the most Formula BOINC points ever, assuming they don't change the credit system.

I think we can do it.

Thanks for the tips Gilthanis

Right now I am gaining 100k+ points per day for our position on Universe@Home. So technically, unless the Polish National Team ramp up their production I will overtake them in a little over a month. I suspect I can do it sooner than that as I believe I can get closer to 150k+ points gained daily on them.

Also, keep in mind that there is a PrimeGrid challenge (part of the PrimeGrid challenge series) during the SETI Wow event this year.

From August 20th 18:00:00 UTC until August 23rd 18:00:00 UTC we will be having a 3 day challenge running the Generalized Cullen/Woodall Search (LLR) Project.

So, if folks were running SETI on just GPU's, they could run the CPU's on PG....Or just run AMD CPU's on SETI and let the Intel's do PrimeGrid...

General rule of thumb...if there are certain projects that rarely have work available...just attach to them and let them crunch whenever they can pull work. Like CAS... that project has work only maybe a couple times a year. And there is rarely notice. So, just attach everything and cross your fingers that you snag some when it rains.

For those not paying attention...new life seems to be coming to QCN. So anyone with Macs, Lenovo's, HP's with the 3d hard drive software, and Android devices with pre version 5 should attach to QCN. That and if you happen to have one of their detectors of course...

I'm not sure what happened to him. He was catching us up rather quickly in Asteroids@Home, then kind of left. Last message he said his rigs were offline for some extended vacation or something. Hope all is well with him.

When I do see if there are WUs available, I'll download as many tasks as possible because they do run out very fast. Setup VM if needed, just like WCG non-rigid WUs or change the ncpus. So a bit of tinkering involved but I don't mind...;)

At QCN, I'm currently 21st in the world for total points and am #1 for RAC. Almost all because of $10 Android phones I used for money making apps over the last few years. I'm really hoping they get a PIE capable Android app so that my newer devices can begin contributing.

Priller where did you go?

Thought he said he was gonna be back around 2 weeks. How long has it been? lol

I've been quite fortunate in being able to pick up 130K Sztaki credits over the last month with over 20K still in pending status. We're getting tantalisingly close to pole position.

Right now I am gaining 100k+ points per day for our position on Universe@Home. So technically, unless the Polish National Team ramp up their production I will overtake them in a little over a month. I suspect I can do it sooner than that as I believe I can get closer to 150k+ points gained daily on them.

Other than some Sztaki I'm back on Universe full steam. Let's see if we can break the back of this one before I have to power down in a few days.

Went through and added MindModeling, Gerasim, Sztaki, and allowed Asteroids to get work.

On Gerasim what should I set for the below options so I help us out:
upload_2017-8-1_14-36-39.png

I think the 20 and 8 and 1 needs to be boosted way way up?

Edit: Funny, Asteroids is running on my little Nvida 710 card... I'm going to leav it and see if it completes in a day.

Edit 2: How do I get all these projects to share nicely?

BOINC will manage the sharing based on the resource share you assign which default is 100. It will try and load balance as things allow. As far as the above settings, set them to however you want. I'm not sure what project it is, so you would want to base that on the capabilities of your machine.

Asteroids IIRC just needs Fermi+ cards. So, even a GT 520 would probably work.

I think we gained 3 total points ... not sure where

And the points from the tzatziki-project are ... quite a joke ... 2.6 points for 250 sec on Ryzen 1700x

Something I also my BOINC-difficulties: that the wingman performance define my points and not the hardware/energy I put in. But yeah, so it be

Yes it was yafu. Nice.

And the points from the tzatziki-project are ... quite a joke ... 2.6 points for 250 sec on Ryzen 1700x

Something I also my BOINC-difficulties: that the wingman performance define my points and not the hardware/energy I put in. But yeah, so it be

Sztaki has been a real PITA. I've frequently completed tasks only for a grcpool wingman to come along and successfully (???) complete the same task in 3 seconds leading to a monumental credit award of 0.02.

With current cache and pending credits we should hopefully make it over the line sometime tonight.

SZTAKI has been that way for years. And also not a lot of communication. It is quite frankly a project that really doesn't need a lot of resources and in my opinion is probably just on auto pilot the majority of the time.

Oh, and .0104 points / second really isn't terrible. Not the best by any means, but not absurd either.

As an example, some of the work units from WCG are like .002 points / second

Last edited:
I got PrimeGrid into the rotation and setup. Already had an account there back when I helped the team out before. I think in the 2014 time frame. I'll get the GPU flags set once I get my good card back in.

I also forgot to mention that if anyone wants to push Leiden Classical, they do limit the number a user can complete per day which I believe is 128 work units.

https://hardforum.com/threads/all-inclusive-dc-project-list.1801908/#post-1040955850

That isn't per host but per user limit. And that was because the admin wanted to be fair to everyone by imposing the limit for others to be able to pull work. So, that is a project where more users is probably more important than more rigs...lol.

I got Primegrid in my rotation also, but my main producers are focusing on Universe@Home until we gain #1 there. Then I'll swap them out. Let my main producers rock most likely PrimeGrid and let Universe@Home into the rotation of my regular rigs.

Looks like we gained first place in SZTAKI now.

Do you have a link to any good guides about how to actually get any SZTAKI work units?

So my Primegrid units are going to finish within a hair's breadth of the Deadline on 8/17. "Woodall" wus.

MN Scout phoenicis is the one who got the team to 1st place on it. I have it attached to all my boxen, but only one of them grabbed anything recently.

According to Gilthanis the project isn't ran very well.

Somebody in the SZTAKI forums was suggesting some bias to who gets work units. Possibly favoring boxes dedicated to it or how long users have been there. I doubt those suspicions and suspect more luck of the draw or people scripting BOINC to hammer the server with updates to get their fill...

For me at least, it was as straightforward as building momentum. All it took was running other projects at priority 0 and hitting Sztaki project update when viewing boinctasks once or twice a day.

Sztaki releases work to individual computers in batches ranging from about 30-60 tasks during very small windows (4?) each hour. The boinc client communicates with a project in gradually increasing intervals after an update in which no work was received however if work is received then the updates become frequent by default due to comms caused by the uploading and reporting of completed tasks. If one of these updates coincides with another task release window then the rig receives more tasks and the virtuous cycle continues.

The chances of this happening on a 48 core rig is virtually nil as the work from the previous task window has been completed before the next window opens however on my 4-8 core rigs it happened frequently as it would take them much longer to complete each batch.

The exception to this was during our NFS run. The very thing that frustrated some of us (i.e. the reluctance of that project to give up cores even when set to 0 priority) actually helped with Sztaki because it allowed my 16 core Ryzens to slow down Sztaki crunching and pick up more tasks during a subsequent task release window. This is when upto 20K credits a day became possible.

Not sure this made sense but hope it did :D

I'll be giving Sztaki a rest until 2018 I think.

I leave it attached until I hit a 1 million point goal. Then I'm done with it.

In other news, we are reeling in that Universe@Home #1 spot from Polish National Team at a very, very quick pace.

Back