oh no, and lost in WCG ! PANIC ... BURP ? WCG ? BURP ? WCG ! both for a short while; then full steam back to WCG for me
 
Got us 2 points in yoyo last weekend. Yeah we keep yoyoing in our total credits.
 
So based on the table I've made up so far of the GPU tasks and the CPU tasks I have completed, I could be doing significantly more than the 50,000 a day for Prime Grid. Points wise, there is no reason to run the CPU tasks.

I still need numbers for GFN 19 to 22, which I should have by tomorrow.

Edit: Definitely appears that higher the GFN task one does the more and more points a day is made. I'm curious if my card is stable enough to do the GFN-22 tasks -- Full day+ of GPU running.

I think we could get 1st in this Formula-BOINC marathon quick enough.... :cautious:
 
Last edited:
Wow just started a GFN-22. 99%gpu. 90% frame buffer usage. Little less BUS usage down to 35% -- the GFN-21 was using 45%. Debating if I should up the Power Target back to 100%.

Hmm... and BOINC just paused it, at 11 minutes in, to run PPS Sieve tasks. I wonder if this will be a problem, since the task deadlines are so different.:turtle: Sieve tasks are 6 days out and GFN-22 tasks are 21 days out. I'll just turn off Sieve tasks for today and suspend all the ones BOINC Manager downloaded. :sneaky:
 
BOINC Manager will try to adjust accordingly as it needs. It does not understand credits so doesn't understand your preference to chase the almighty point goal. However, it will attempt to complete all work within the deadline based on what it has "learned" from running the applications. So, if it thinks it needs 10 hours and gets down to only 10 hours left, it will switch back as needed to attempt the deadline. If it only needs 10 hours and has 6 days to complete the work unit, it may work on other work for 5.5 days as it tries to balance resource shares and such. I would say either just select one sub project or let BOINC manage things as designed.
 
I understand what it did now. I had it configured for 3 days of tasks. When it was working on the GFN-21 it only had the GFN-22 in the list for tasks, since the GFN-22 was at an estimated 20 days of process time. No time for other tasks. It started crunching the GFN-22 and saw it would take 2 days, so it downloaded another 1 day of work which were all the short PPS Sieve tasks with an earlier deadline. Then it kept processing and downloading more of the short tasks. I can see how it would just push that longer task with the 3 week deadline back, since every other task has a shorter deadline. Though I read that PrimeGrid servers will reduce the deadline as it learns how long your computer takes for the task, but having done none of these super long projects before the deadline will probably be out a ways for a while for my account.

Points wise, the short tasks would be more PPD, and is what I'm moving to after the GFN-22 task is done.
 
Last edited:
If a project has CPU and GPU tasks, and I'm crunching a CPU task right now, and I turn off CPU tasks for that project will BOINC keep crunching the CPU tasks it is nearly done with?

If you want it to complete the tasks then in the BOINC Manager (or Boinc Tasks) just highlight the project and click "No new tasks". It wont download anything else from the project, but it'll complete what it already has.

I can't believe we lost #1 in WCG. We had a huge lead in that project I thought. Damn it!

edit:
In the last 28 days they've done ~12 million points. I guess we were not as far ahead of them as I originally though.

Time to do some recruiting again soon. Wonder if WCG has any challenges going on that I can get a few people to help with. Hmm..
 
If you want it to complete the tasks then in the BOINC Manager (or Boinc Tasks) just highlight the project and click "No new tasks". It wont download anything else from the project, but it'll complete what it already has.

I can't believe we lost #1 in WCG. We had a huge lead in that project I thought. Damn it!

edit:
In the last 28 days they've done ~12 million points. I guess we were not as far ahead of them as I originally though.

Time to do some recruiting again soon. Wonder if WCG has any challenges going on that I can get a few people to help with. Hmm..

Yep, I figured out the CPU task deal. I only wanted to confirm the project settings wouldn't inadvertently abort any tasks crunching on the machine already. Which I can confirm they won't abort them.

That is too bad we are behind in WCG. I have crunched for that project in the past.
 
WCG always has challenges going since anyone can make them. Some make them every month. Most do not participate in them. Challenge burn out...
 
Yeah I took a look at the list and nothing seems pleasing to get anyone to join.
 
is it only me on my iPad and mac or sucks the UI from dDM so badly. Can't really see the content well. Long load time and I guess put it into iFrames ... they tried to look attractive but works not well.
Tried also Chrome instead my default Safari
 
Their page is terrible. I tried looking at it the other day. Was almost impossible to see what I needed.
 
Looks like QCN ran the credit scripts. ChristianVirtual are you able to run your Macs on this project? It is an NCI project. You shouldn't need a detector since you have a Mac. They will use the accelerometer in the hard drive just as it does in Android devices and many IBM/Lenovo laptops. Or at least they used to.
 
plus I hardly every use the iMac; too much powerlimitted on the power plug; but it it run on my Nexus KitKat I'm gad to switch ...
 
Possibly. Some Android devices do and some don't. It can be hit and miss with so many devices out there. But it doesn't hurt to try. That is where all of my production is coming from these days is Android devices.
 
tried ... failed ... works ok with WCG and it was connected to power while try to attach to QCN ... but rejected. Account created before manually.
 
OK... at least we tried..lol. The new admins are allegedly going to bring the project back to life with new applications. So, perhaps it will in the future. I leave mine connected in hopes the ones that don't work suddenly do. Also, this project works different than most BOINC projects. All of my work units either fail or can't validate. But then the ones that don't validate get credit when they run the script and sometimes the failed ones do. Not exactly sure why some device fail.
 
FYI, next FB sprint project will be announced tomorrow, Wed, Aug 23rd at 3pm/6pm (PT/ET).
 
All of the projects that we are lacking in have already been part of a sprint or do not have work. So, I am curious what will be chosen as it will certainly take away from our Marathon contributions. I will not participate if it is Climate Prediction as I have written that project off a long time ago.

Gerasim is a project that would require a lot of power to achieve. fastgeek are you around? We are needing about 11 million points at that project to catch 1st place. They do have GPU capable work for Intel, AMD, & nVidia GPU's from time to time. You will need to make sure you have this installed for GPU work https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=40784
 
Last edited:
Geranium ? that would be windows only ... I'm never look out of the Windows
 
Last edited:
Primaboinca is Windows only also.

edit
And we're first in the marathon now.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, I don't have a worthy double precision GPU. Anyone with the Titan or AMD cards?
 
Might need some backup here since we are currently not that active in milkyway.

upload_2017-8-23_15-57-18.png
 
So basically we are gonna have to do more than 430k PPD on this project?
 
If I read the g-string, oh I mean the g-bar correctly, this is the average daily output.
 
No clue what kind of output I am gonna do, but I got a bunch of GPU and CPU tasks. Gonna disable networking on them until tomorrow sometime.

Oh dear. My GPUs are completing tasks in under 5 minutes for 227 points each. I've got a feeling we're gonna blow the other teams in our league out of the water. lol
 
If I read the g-string, oh I mean the g-bar correctly, this is the average daily output.
This g-string is since start of FB-recording (mid August). I thing g1 or g3 is the better indicator right now; specially for short term strategy
 
If you want to run Android devices, you have to use nativeBOINC instead of the official client app. It has the app_info.xml file already as well as the binaries needed to run the project since they don't officially support Android themselves.
 
My GPUs are completing tasks in under 5 minutes for 227 points each
What GPU is that? This card produces about 65K PPD. So we need like 7 GPU of that kind to outproduce the top team in our league, assuming they don't add any more GPUs to this event.
 
We have to win this one because Gridcoin is gonna win their league. They're doing 29M+ PPD. That's more production than the top 25 teams combined. Holy. Smokes.
 
That's because the cryptocoin miner cards that were brought to BOINC do really well with double precision typically as the majority were most likely AMD cards. Since Gridcoin pays out based on RAC.... it makes sense to put those to use on projects they shine on.
 
After this sprint, there should be 8 more and 16 projects to choose from.
Out of those 16,
FiND - has had no work for a long time and have no communication with the users
Leiden - has stopped accepting new account creation
Primaboinca - may or may not ever respond to people to get the up to date invite code. Luckily, we got it recently...
The dDM-project - is a terrible project for challenges and is extremely difficult to get work units.
WEP-M+2 - is a project I see being a huge waste of resources and they only support Linux and MacOS
Only 4 of the projects are GPU capable.
Ironically FiND has not made it to Marathon status yet but is still on the list for Sprints (which tells me it won't be an option at this point)
Only Primaboinca and WEP-M+2 are projects that we aren't already 1st place in.

So, we can only hope that Primaboinca and WEP are in the next 8 sprints to allow for us to double dip for maximum usage of our contributions. Sad because I don't care for either project at all.
 
We are in first place for Primaboinca and WEP-M+2. I know, I got us there.
 
Back
Top