Far Cry 6

so it doesn't look better then FC5?

I don't think so, no. Better lighting and environmental effects maybe, but the world probably looks a little worse or at least different. M76's description of it being a cartoony/toy world is appropriate. FC5 was a far more realistic looking world, so it's a different art style. It isn't bad, but it isn't better.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
The cities look really good given how well the game runs. I agree the countryside isn’t as good to look at.

like this
I never played a far cry game, I've played watchdog and almost every AC game. Is this worth grabbing? I do enjoy ubisoft games obviously. Maybe I'll try another of the far cry, any recommendation on which one?

I never played a far cry game, I've played watchdog and almost every AC game. Is this worth grabbing? I do enjoy ubisoft games obviously. Maybe I'll try another of the far cry, any recommendation on which one?

I can't speak for Watch Dogs, but you'll notice an immediate similarity to Assassin's Creed. You climb towers to unlock part of the map, you take over fortresses, you collect plants and pelts to upgrade your gear, etc. Similar formula, just in an FPS format.

The Far Cry games don't really have much continuity beyond cameos, so you can start with any of them. 3-5 in particular are similar gameplay-wise. 5's a little grittier while 3 is a bit more light hearted. 4 is somewhere in the middle.

Far Cry 1 is a Far Cry from the others in both gameplay and story.
2 set the standard that the rest followed.
As Domingo said, it doesn't really matter story wise which one you start with. Here's my personal preference:
Primal, 3, blood dragon, 2, 4, 1, 5.

I'm downloading the texture pack now. I hope it's worth the 35GB download.

Anyone else getting any stutter? seems like every few seconds or so for me. 3060 and i5-8400. turning off hd textures and lowering to med still does it, though not as bad.
in benchmark i can see the sharp drops correlate to stutter.
1633724372826.png

Attachments

• 1633724337964.png
    1633724337964.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I just finished the prologue part, when you get to the big island. So far it feels more mmo than single player game. The story barely registers on the scale, you just do random errands, it seems like they didn't really think immersion or story was that important.

I don't like being right, but I've been saying it for a while now that every Ubisoft game is going this route. Valhalla toned it down a bit, but I suppose when you come from pay to win anything looks good. Just sad to see Far Cry getting a dose of that design.

Everything looks mixed. I'll still play it but will wait for some patches before looking into it.

I played a bit more - decent game, lots of typical Ubishit open world stuff, though. I dunno how long I'll feel like playing.

Game seems to have some weird GPU utilization as well, seems to be grossly inconsistent. One time it was oscillating rapidly between utilizations, another it was just kind of all over the place.

FC6.png

FC6-2.png

Far Cry 1 is a Far Cry from the others in both gameplay and story.
2 set the standard that the rest followed.
As Domingo said, it doesn't really matter story wise which one you start with. Here's my personal preference:
Primal, 3, blood dragon, 2, 4, 1, 5.
That's because FC1 was by Crytek and the precursor project to Crysis, then FC2 forward was pure Ubisoft.

Played a couple hours, maxed out with HD textures, RT Reflections and Shadows, no FSA or motion blur, 4K. 6900XT is sufficient to exceed monitor 60hz refresh rate, 40hz-60hz FreeSync Range. the frame locked worked initially but inside of game it did not and frame rate went up to over 70 and outside of the FreeSync range -> Tearing. Used AMD Chill which worked perfect. Game is very smooth and keeps within a tight fps band. Other than framelock, no other bugs so far. As a note when the game is not fps limited, it does hitch at times besides the tearing.

I just love FarCry games so I am getting into this one, love the environment so far. Been fun. Tomorrow will test on the big screen (65inch QLED, 120hz VRR Samsung TV) with the 3080Ti. I will probably play most of it on that setup since it has HDR. Ram usage on the 6900Xt was up to 11.6gb, had the AMD performance overlay on in game. So far it feels not much different play wise than FC 3-5.

Not as far as I can tell, but there isn't much else to do besides main missions. So I suppose it does force progression :p

oh....so there is very little side missions or random stuff to hunt and find?

oh....so there is very little side missions or random stuff to hunt and find?
Random stuff is supply drops, but those are pretty lame. Go to point X in a time limit, and unless you come prepared with a helicopter it is usually hopeless to do, besides it only gives resources as a reward, which is only usable for weapon mods as far as I can tell.
There are also random hostages on the side of the road, but those are not much of a challenge. It's not even worth stopping for them.
The AI is so lame in the game, that nothing really is a challenge, and there is no difficulty setting. So I guess journos are happy.

that sounds kinda sucky. I always liked finding all the stupid things on the map like the diamonds and what not. I guess 3 didn't have that many side quests but it had the hunts and the kill the captain things.

So it is pretty much just a story line game and that is it?

that sounds kinda sucky. I always liked finding all the stupid things on the map like the diamonds and what not. I guess 3 didn't have that many side quests but it had the hunts and the kill the captain things.

So it is pretty much just a story line game and that is it?
No, it has all the side stuff just like 2345 and the rest of them. There are treasure hunts, side missions, hunting, fishing,cock fighting, ect. The game does force a small amount of progression but not enough to make it annoying.

I played a bit more - decent game, lots of typical Ubishit open world stuff, though. I dunno how long I'll feel like playing.

Game seems to have some weird GPU utilization as well, seems to be grossly inconsistent. One time it was oscillating rapidly between utilizations, another it was just kind of all over the place.
I am seeing the same on my 2080ti strange

Attachments

• fc3gpu.png
    fc3gpu.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 1
No, it has all the side stuff just like 2345 and the rest of them. There are treasure hunts, side missions, hunting, fishing,cock fighting, ect. The game does force a small amount of progression but not enough to make it annoying.
I'm 9 hours in and pretty sure I didn't see any side missions. Everything was needed to progress the main story, there were zero optional missions in the central region. Yeah, treasure hunts are a thing, I forgot those.

Game started to get annoying also. It crashes to the desktop without warning every 20 minutes or so, first 5-6 hours was without issue.

I'm a couple hours in and it's definitely more of the same. I haven't touched FC5 (or New Dawn) in a while, so I'm okay with "yet another Far Cry game." There's the usual super serious storyline with a lot of random humor that literally takes everything else in a totally different direction. If you like 3-5, you're going to like this one, too. At least assuming you aren't burned out on the concept.
I still think FC5 looked better overall, but the look of this one is growing on me. The UI is streamlined and cleaner, too.

like this
The more I play, the more i'm liking this one over Farcry 5, TBH. I think 5 had the best story, but the gameplay here is better, and I actually find the difficulty to be better as well.

I don't agree with this game looking worse. With maxed out settings it absolutely looks better across the board.

https://www.gamesradar.com/you-can-boost-your-far-cry-6-framerate-by-disabling-ubisoft-connect/
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/far-cry-6-performance-guide-best-settings-high-frame-rates/
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/far-cry-6-pc-performance-and-best-settings

Good tips. Sorry for any repeats.

I haven't decided how I feel about this vs 5 yet although I certainly don't feel like there's any kind of loss on visuals or gameplay. I've been in some areas that made me walk around and take in the surroundings so that ought to say something about how good looking some of it is.

I know what I'm going to get when I go for a Fary Cr game and I'm enjoying it for what it is.

P.S. Ignore New Dawn. Disregard it. It never happened. ;)

I'm 9 hours in and pretty sure I didn't see any side missions. Everything was needed to progress the main story, there were zero optional missions in the central region. Yeah, treasure hunts are a thing, I forgot those.

Game started to get annoying also. It crashes to the desktop without warning every 20 minutes or so, first 5-6 hours was without issue.
Side missions are found inside the camps from an NPC, They are there just look around.... You talk to the npc and she will give you a list of them... they are there found them with 30 mins of playing.... No crashes here check your overclock settings...

Side missions are found inside the camps from an NPC, They are there just look around.... You talk to the npc and she will give you a list of them... they are there found them with 30 mins of playing.... No crashes here check your overclock settings...
Oh the "your computer must be bad" excuse. I literally said no crashes for the first 4 hours, then it started crashing, if my computer is failty it should crash all the time, not just during specific missions. And I'm not even overclocking.

In 30 minutes you don't even finish the prologue, so how would you know about side missions?

Oh the "your computer must be bad" excuse. I literally said no crashes for the first 4 hours, then it started crashing, if my computer is failty it should crash all the time, not just during specific missions. And I'm not even overclocking.

In 30 minutes you don't even finish the prologue, so how would you know about side missions?
I am way over 30 mins ingame, I did not say "your computer must be bad" anywhere in my post... I stated to check your overclocks. If case ventilation is good in your case and temps are within tolerances I could not tell you what your problem with crashes is. here is a pic of another npc that give side missions. They are highlighted with an ! on your screen when you walk up to them....

P.S. Sorry if my post upset you but it still does not give you the right to act like a tool.
P.P.S. I am about 10hrs ingame

Attachments

• fc6sidemission.png
    fc6sidemission.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I am way over 30 mins ingame, I did not say "your computer must be bad" anywhere in my post... I stated to check your overclocks. If case ventilation is good in your case and temps are within tolerances I could not tell you what your problem with crashes is. here is a pic of another npc that give side missions. They are highlighted with an ! on your screen when you walk up to them....

P.S. Sorry if my post upset you but it still does not give you the right to act like a tool.
P.P.S. I am about 10hrs ingame
You failed to answer my question. If it's the computer and not the game, then why didn't it crash once for the first 4-5 hours? What did you think you were implying with "check your overclocks" if not that it is my computer's fault and not a problem with the game?

OK, I see now, I consider those activities and not missions, a mission should have a narrative, these are pointless filler that you can easily skip over without loosing anything.

^^ He's a good sport. Makes me chuckle. Games have to take certain liberties and some of it is "realistic."

Far Cry 6- The Digital Foundry Tech Review - PC, PS5, Xbox Series X|S, Ray Tracing

like this
Seems like the general census on graphics is some of it looks good, some of it looks dated. Ray tracing looks fairly awful and low resolution and you're probably better off just disabling it for frame rates. Looks like this game could use a patch or two.

General ratings seem to be the lowest for a main FC game since FC3.

its a good game, I like it. Ive not had any issues and Ive been enjoying it. This is just like the last few Far Cry games where you have an open world and an animal pet and pick your playstyle whether its stealth or all guns blazing or whatever happens in between.

I like the aesthetic of the low grade, high tech, cobbled together from whatever is laying around aesthetic of the weapons and vehicles and I like the focus on the culture and language.

my takeaway is that if you like the Far Cry formula then you'll get more of the same and definitely enjoy it.

Even after uninstalling some games, I'm still hurting for m.2 SSD space, can spare 90GBs so is the HD pack worth the download in addition to the base game? I have an EVGA RTX Ti2080 with 11GB of VRAM.

Even after uninstalling some games, I'm still hurting for m.2 SSD space, can spare 90GBs so is the HD pack worth the download in addition to the base game? I have an EVGA RTX Ti2080 with 11GB of VRAM.

It's a noticeable difference but not a game changer. IMO you should save the space and use normal textures.

Pretty big difference between 3080Ti and 6900XT. Downloaded and started FarCry 6 on the 3080Ti/5800x setup, Ultra settings, RT on for both Reflections and Shadows, HD textures, VRR on, 4096 x 2160 -> Strobing, erratic frame rate and fps went down to 13fps and crashed.
  • Was able to fix strobing issue with VRR by going to 3840x2160 (came back when HDR was used which I could not stop)
  • Isolated the crashing due to RT shadows, once RT shadows were turned off the game/benchmark played
HDR is not usable with VRR for me on this 65" Samsung due to strobing, auto HDR was all washed out and no clear way to adjust it. It also does not appear to be smooth at all regardless if VRR is on or off.

Never got to the playing game, wasted a lot of time getting it just working with the benchmark. FPS at 4K, Ultra settings w\o RT shadows was 71fps average which is slower than the 6900XT same settings.

Game - Drivers/Card - TV combo is not optimal at this time, may trade out and put the 6900XT in this system, wanted to play this on the big screen with HDR.

It's a noticeable difference but not a game changer. IMO you should save the space and use normal textures.

Why do people make videos like this? 1080p and comparing HD Textures to standard, besides the video compression degradation, HD textures has to have higher resolution to be seen correctly for the finer detail.

Back