Far Cry 6

Good to see that they paid a little more attention to the small details that can really immerse you, even though it still doesn't have the same level of detail in those aspects. That is something developers and artists started straying away from as the focus became the chase for shinier graphics. But those little details are what made games special.

Those RPGs flying off into space in FC6 really got me laughing, though.

The only thing that kind of bugs me about those crowbcat-style "look how much less detail there is in newer games" videos is that there never seems to be any effort paid in showing a detail in the new game, then comparing to the old. I guarantee you there are details in FC6 that aren't in FC2. Note that I'm NOT saying "FC6 probably has MORE detail overall" just the comparisons tend to be designed to trigger negative reactions. And it should go without saying that there are obviously newer games that are just unquestionably far less immersive/detailed than earlier counterparts... but it's not always the "in MY day games had DETAIL!" boomer argument

The only thing that kind of bugs me about those crowbcat-style "look how much less detail there is in newer games" videos is that there never seems to be any effort paid in showing a detail in the new game, then comparing to the old. I guarantee you there are details in FC6 that aren't in FC2. Note that I'm NOT saying "FC6 probably has MORE detail overall" just the comparisons tend to be designed to trigger negative reactions.

Actually 6 is a HUGE improvement over 5. Still nowhere near the amount of small details as 2 had, but seeing that gives me confirmation that I'll play this one, and I'm going to buy FC6 when it's cheap enough.

It's easy to look back at FC2 and remember the good stuff, but there were plenty of bad things, too. That game was repetitious and tedious as hell. When it came out people wouldn't stop talking about how much worse it was than FC1. Plus, one person's immersion is always "they wasted development time and processing power on that?" to someone else.

It's easy to look back at FC2 and remember the good stuff, but there were plenty of bad things, too. That game was repetitious and tedious as hell. When it came out people wouldn't stop talking about how much worse it was than FC1. Plus, one person's immersion is always "they wasted development time and processing power on that?" to someone else.

yea 2 was just WAY to long and not in good ways. It is still an impressive looking game though.

i havent scrolled through this post yet, but im wondering if someone is having the same issue as me with keeping FSR enabled after exiting the game. Everytime I exit game and come back in, FSR is set back to disabled WTF! is this a known bug?

The only thing that kind of bugs me about those crowbcat-style "look how much less detail there is in newer games" videos is that there never seems to be any effort paid in showing a detail in the new game, then comparing to the old. I guarantee you there are details in FC6 that aren't in FC2. Note that I'm NOT saying "FC6 probably has MORE detail overall" just the comparisons tend to be designed to trigger negative reactions. And it should go without saying that there are obviously newer games that are just unquestionably far less immersive/detailed than earlier counterparts... but it's not always the "in MY day games had DETAIL!" boomer argument

That video showcased what you're referencing in a few respects. The typical molotov into a grassy/tree area is a big one. A thrown molly in thick green will not burn up entire trees from ground to top like FC2 portrays. I like they show some scorch marks on the flat earth in FC6 but the tree remains as no way would it all burn away. Also the pistol into bushes - lets assume a 9mm round from a pistol. It will not blow off a 4-5" tree branch in one shot. I get the argument of no damage detail to the tree but it won't simply clean cut it. Videos like that are splitting hairs and if people want to care about it fine. I for one notice the improved molotov throw trail sparks more than the fire effect after. As an example.

FC2 was fine, I will still not forgive the instant respawn of enemies making the "Far Drive" far more annoying.

i havent scrolled through this post yet, but im wondering if someone is having the same issue as me with keeping FSR enabled after exiting the game. Everytime I exit game and come back in, FSR is set back to disabled WTF! is this a known bug?

HDR is like that for me. Even though it's enabled within Windows (and you have to do that for it to be enabled in-game), I have to toggle it within the game every time. The other settings stick, though.

I just finished the prologue part, when you get to the big island. So far it feels more mmo than single player game. The story barely registers on the scale, you just do random errands, it seems like they didn't really think immersion or story was that important.

But my biggest annoyance is how easy the game is. There is no difficulty level, only choice was between "story mode" and "action mode", so you can forget full immersion. The AI is dumber than dumb, if you shoot them from a bit of a distance they don't even react, and they are not much better when they are close. They couldn't kill me even when I went full crazy careless and just ran into an enemy base no scouting, no nothing.

Another little issue is that you can't unequip items in the game. Once you get the "supremo" which is a dumbass backpack superweapon, that is useless as crap,you have it equipped in every cutscene. It looks ridiculous.

The graphics is not that impressive imo. Sometimes it looks great, but most of the time just average. But at least it runs crazy fast. I haven't seen a new AAA game run this smoothly and with this high fps since forever.

The respawning checkpoints were the worst. Clear one, come back 10 sec later and poof - back like you had never cleared it. Still enjoyed FC2 overall.

And that's the key to all these games - not getting hung up on the nitpicks to the point you miss all the things it does well.

The respawning checkpoints were the worst. Clear one, come back 10 sec later and poof - back like you had never cleared it. Still enjoyed FC2 overall.

And that's the key to all these games - not getting hung up on the nitpicks to the point you miss all the things it does well.
I agree. The game had about 3 things that people loved to complain about: the respawning checkpoints, having to deal with the Malaria/medicine mechanic, and the degrading weapons. I'm not saying those aren't legitimate complaints for some, but once you push through them the rest of the game is sooo good. I get it; it look me several false starts before I really got into it but it was so worth it in the end.

I never finished it. The last mission I played was some boat chase where you're using a gun on a boat to shoot enemy boats. Then I never went back.
How do I remember this after 10+ years, who knows.

Just started, runs great at 1440p maxed out. Bit buggy, ran into a couple of issues where dialogue audio didn't run properly, and some of the textures getting stuck in really low-res. Example:

Far Cry® 62021-10-7-11-50-9.jpg

Yeah, same texture for me is low-res. My guess is some textures never got a high-res asset.

Yeah, same texture for me is low-res. My guess is some textures never got a high-res asset.
From what I have read, the Hi-Res pack is just bugged right now. Presumably they'll fix with a patch.

The above texture is not what I would consider to even be normal res - it's clearly a super low-res asset that is not streaming in properly.

From what I have read, the Hi-Res pack is just bugged right now. Presumably they'll fix with a patch.

The above texture is not what I would consider to even be normal res - it's clearly a super low-res asset that is not streaming in properly.
I don't believe it's bugged, but I think a lot of people are trying to run it that simply don't have the VRAM. It looks like they added the text '> 11GB VRAM' to the option in UPlay now. Which means, a lot of people can't run it properly.

I don't believe it's bugged, but I think a lot of people are trying to run it that simply don't have the VRAM. It looks like they added the text '> 11GB VRAM' to the option in UPlay now. Which means, a lot of people can't run it properly.
I disagree, lack of VRAM would just cause stuttering. That isn't the issue here, the issue is textures not streaming correctly.

Also, in my example this is in a menu - how are you gonna run out of VRAM rendering a single character? Makes no sense.

I disagree, lack of VRAM would just cause stuttering. That isn't the issue here, the issue is textures not streaming correctly.

Also, in my example this is in a menu - how are you gonna run out of VRAM rendering a single character? Makes no sense.
Modern engines won’t really stutter with lack of vram. They simply stream in what they can.

Modern engines won’t really stutter with lack of vram. They simply stream in what they can.
Well, oddly enough, someone on Reddit suggested forcing High Quality texture filtering and 16X AF via the nVidia CP, and that actually seems to have fixed it. So I dunno, not a VRAM issue apparently.

Apparently this showed me my GPU OC wasnt stable! spent about 30mins dialing in a new OC for my 3090. FC5 played @ 2175/2160MHz @ 1.087v but FC6 said NOPE! had to dial down to 2130MHz and played for a solid 2.5hrs. Guessing DX12 and just overall more game engine physics play harder on gpu then FC5 did...

Having fun playing this on the SFF with 6600xt I recently built, feel bad taking the 3090 offline from mining duties lol.

Last edited:
Maybe it depends on the engine or coding/dev tricks. Remember from post #278 where Techpowerup said that the game with the HD texture pack stuttered on the 3080 with 10GB of RAM but ran perfectly smooth on 12GB+ cards.

Beats me. Pretty inexcusable.

What gets my goat is the situation has been played out multiple times in past previous releases. What baffles me is how can a company who produces a series not realize they need to up their initial infrastructure to enable a relatively smooth launch.

I feel robbed right now. Paid good money for a game series which is widely revered yet the company still botches the launch. Jeebus, this is insane.

I forgot how jarring the FOV changes were when you get in a vehicle, horseback, climb, use the grappling hook, fish... the list goes on and on.

This will probably get fixed in a mod but until it does... ugh.

This is what I was talking about. FC2 had more details and interaction in the world. This is a trend in many modern games but especially noticeable in Ubisoft games.
FC6 Looks pretty craptacular. Especially the explosions on the houses using charges. Yikes.

I have a 3090 and it uses about 10.5GB VRAM with the HD textures, it hit 10.9GB during the benchmark. Haven't had any texture issues. I'm wondering if FSR even works on Nvidia GPUs, because I toggled it on and the benchmark scores wheren't particularly impressive. I need to redo that.

I redid benchmark with FSR disabled and enabled in the various settings (performance/quality/etc.) and I think I only saw a difference in visual quality, performance was basically the same.

Last edited:
This is fucking stupid.

'Ubisoft service is currently unavailable."

When will companies learn to plan ahead of time for the inevitable?
Steam, Ubi should leave it to the pros to get their game out and people playing.

how does the game look with the HD Texture Pack + ray-tracing maxed on Nvidia cards?

how does the game look with the HD Texture Pack + ray-tracing maxed on Nvidia cards?
As I've said it is the smoothest and best running AAA game I've seen since at least ME3. Everything on ultra on a 2080ti 3840x1600 resolution. I don't know who says it is badly optimized, because I've seen no trace of that.

Finally got the game to run. Had to download and install Ubisoft Connect and install over the existing install installation. That's stupid because I have UC run at startup and it updates several times a week.

Anyways, Castillo is fucked in the head. Knew this beforehand but the opening scenes solidified that fact. That submitted is gonna due. Painfully.

Finally got the game to run. Had to download and install Ubisoft Connect and install over the existing install installation. That's stupid because I have UC run at startup and it updates several times a week.

Anyways, Castillo is fucked in the head. Knew this beforehand but the opening scenes solidified that fact. That submitted is gonna due. Painfully.
you mean i am fucked in the head?

It looks good and runs well for me. Very smooth 99% of the time, although it'll occasionally hitch for a millisecond when entering a new area. Nothing unusual and lots of games do it. That's with everything cranked all the way up in 4K. I wouldn't say the graphics are great, but they're good. The environmental and lighting effects are really good, but the world itself has an odd look to it. It's tough to describe, but it looks like an older game that someone tossed a coat of paint on. Next to FC5, it looks like a game that was started earlier, got shelved, and then resurrected/updated later.

It looks good and runs well for me. Very smooth 99% of the time, although it'll occasionally hitch for a millisecond when entering a new area. Nothing unusual and lots of games do it. That's with everything cranked all the way up in 4K. I wouldn't say the graphics are great, but they're good. The environmental and lighting effects are really good, but the world itself has an odd look to it. It's tough to describe, but it looks like an older game that someone tossed a coat of paint on. Next to FC5, it looks like a game that was started earlier, got shelved, and then resurrected/updated later.
It looks like a toy world, it has a cartoony feel to it is how I'd describe it. The terrain and vegetation is very repetitive, everywhere looks the same basically.

I'm at 90 FOV at 16:9 and it's working well enough for me.

It's Far Cry. It is what it is. I'll get what I want out of it. ;) Something to mess with on the side.

Does it look better than FC5? No, I don't think so. We've seen stories of how Ubisoft has rotating teams for their franchises so I think the idea that this game "was started earlier then resurrected" has something going for it.

FC5's world looked more natural and I had more "wow that's nice" moments. I also liked its music and soundtrack a lot more.

Last edited:
Back