Far Cry 5

No.

It's on the main menu screen under options/video.

However, you do need a monitor that supports HDR.

I found out the FREESYNC 2 support was added in the 1.07 patch/update which was released on Jun 16.

So, it wasn't available when I first tried enabling HDR on Jun 9, so I didn't miss seeing it. It just wasn't there as an option.

So, if you have an AMD card, and a monitor that supports FREESYNC and HDR, you might want to give HDR another try.

I think you will be surprised at the results.

So I finally played through this game, and I gotta say...it's really just more of the same shit from Ubisoft. It felt almost identical to FC3 and 4 to me. Sure, less radio towers and whatever, but overall the gameplay felt like a slog. I did finish it just because I wanted to see the ending (which was...eh, okay) but I can't help but feel like I would have rather just watched a YouTube video instead of putting hours into this game. I had zero interest or reason (beyond a few forced side quests) to do fishing or hunting, both of which were pretty tedious and boring. I didn't even bother with the bow in this one (which was a staple for me in 3 and 4) because getting all weapons with suppressors was easy enough and more effective. The fact that you can clear out entire camps "undetected" by just getting in a helicopter and spamming rockets and machine guns is pretty silly.

I dunno. I sort of wish I hadn't bothered with this game.

I wouldn't say it was that bad, but yeah, pretty much said the same opinion in my rant in the review thread. Too many fetch quests, a few story missions required you to hunt/fish which wasn't fun in the slightest, and the good features were just harder to use due to terrian differences. The game keeps stats, and apparently I only did 3-4 chain take downs and two take downs from below in the entire game. On the other hand it flowed so naturally in FC3 (pull people from below on piers) and in FC4 (very vertical terrian). The good was mostly there, just implemented poorly.

FC6 they need to change it up, and by that I don't mean more MP crap.

Did anyone else notice that both the draw distance and the distance the game would keep things in memory was a huge step backwards?

I can't remember the number of times I would lose my Helo because I went further than 200m from it and it would just despawn.

Okay I just got abducted twice within like an hour and had to do the shoot house, which I hate and suck at.

How often does this occur?

Okay I just got abducted twice within like an hour and had to do the shoot house, which I hate and suck at.

A lot. We're talking like four times (at least?) per region (three regions).

You'll be doing the "shoot house" a few more times. No, it is not any different any of the times you do it. No, this is not a spoiler.

So far, three abductions in the first area, I did the girl next, she doesn't abduct exactly, more like a trippy dream sequence followed by waking up in some random spot. It's annoying but not near as bad.

A lot. We're talking like four times (at least?) per region (three regions).

You'll be doing the "shoot house" a few more times. No, it is not any different any of the times you do it. No, this is not a spoiler.

Dear God. Why.

I always get lost in the middle section with the hallways.

OK, what triggers the abduction? I have more fun not doing the missions anyways.

Dear God. Why.

I always get lost in the middle section with the hallways.

OK, what triggers the abduction? I have more fun not doing the missions anyways.

When the progress bar fills up to a dot, that triggers the event.

Apparently Im retarded.

Where is the progress bar/dot?

Everytime you do something that gains Faction points, a yellow/gold bar pops up and fills slightly, there are 4 circles on each bar, 1-3 is one of those crappy cut scenes, 4 is the final fight.

Everytime you do something that gains Faction points, a yellow/gold bar pops up and fills slightly, there are 4 circles on each bar, 1-3 is one of those crappy cut scenes, 4 is the final fight.

Or, you can go to the map, zoom all the way out, and when you put the cursor over each region, it will give you all of your stats in that region.

Hows the game.. I vowed since buying fc3 and never getting uplay to allow me to see the game.. Never could get it to run not once, to never buy a ubisoft game again .. Have the times changed is the game good? Low hassle?

Hows the game.. I vowed since buying fc3 and never getting uplay to allow me to see the game.. Never could get it to run not once, to never buy a ubisoft game again .. Have the times changed is the game good? Low hassle?
You obviously had an unique problem, so who do you expect to know if your unique problem that only happened to you will happen again or not?
The game is similar to FC3, more of the same with a different story.

I never had a problem with the game itself because the ubisoft software would never allow me to run it.

I dont really care though, the taste of that still lingers many years later id never give them any of my money.

I never had a problem with the game itself because the ubisoft software would never allow me to run it.

I dont really care though, the taste of that still lingers many years later id never give them any of my money.
You'll have to be more specific. I've never had an issue launching a Uplay game either bought through Steam or their own store.

The game itself still follows the revised formula they have used in the series since Far Cry 3.

Reactions: M76
like this
Did you create a ticket with Ubisoft to troubleshoot the Uplay issue? And why ask if the game is any good if you don't care and don't plan to give them any more money?

I hate uplay and ubisoft as much as the next guy, I mean I even threatened legal action against them for coercing me into buying the division, but you're just being ridiculous.

Ubisoft had 80million for this game what did they do with all that money! Because the problem with this games is how crap the A.I is even with the update, But the most worst part of the game is 'Your Been Hunted' I got caught in a plane how did that work? Also it was not worth the £33.49 I paid on Uplay I think FC4 was the best one. IMO

I will say the abduction thing has me really not wanting to play anymore. Or do things that progress the Faction points or whatever.

Divinity Original Sin 2 has my attention at the moment.

I will say the abduction thing has me really not wanting to play anymore. Or do things that progress the Faction points or whatever.

This FC5 could have been a Good game if they used all the 80million but most that money went into marketing and the EA show, FC3 & 4 had the best evil bosses and A.I but in 5 they cut allots out to save money & time, also they had lazy script writers for the story line & A.I that could have been better, the wingsuit in FC4 was way better but in 5 what we got was just tress and land in all areas of the game and having to watch your bear kill all your enemies for you! that was just joke a waste of game playing there is still allots of flaws that have still not been fixed in the game, and what I hated was having to fetch this for lazy A.I scripts just like FO4, and what done it for me in game play was the 'Your been hunted' loop over and over same location it was so boring, the game lost Potential and failed Innovation.

It's more of a console fanboy game then an PC hardcore open world game it should have been.

The game industry is booming with continued revenue worth nearly $158billon but our games have many flaws that never get fixed and have lazy scripts writers also failed innovation but still the game industry never listen to us PC Gamers.

Last edited:
This FC5 could have been a Good game if they used all the 80million but most that money went into marketing and the EA show, FC3 & 4 had the best evil bosses and A.I but in 5 they cut allots out to save money & time, also they had lazy script writers for the story line & A.I that could have been better, the wingsuit in FC4 was way better but in 5 what we got was just tress and land in all areas of the game and having to watch your bear kill all your enemies for you! that was just joke a waste of game playing there is still allots of flaws that have still not been fixed in the game, and what I hated was having to fetch this for lazy A.I scripts just like FO4, and what done it for me in game play was the 'Your been hunted' loop over and over same location it was so boring, the game lost Potential and failed Innovation.

It's more of a console fanboy game then an PC hardcore open world game it should have been.

The game industry is booming with continued revenue worth nearly $158billon but our games have many flaws that never get fixed and have lazy scripts writers also failed innovation but still the game industry never listen to us PC Gamers.

It has a focus on co-op and "play as you feel", so things such as story and more organic missions went out the window. There are a lot more fetch quests this go around, which is likely less annoying if you have four people doing it. An MP games typically are more simplistic in goals so you can coordinate together. This is why the mission design falls flat. The silent protaganist is directly the result of offering a customizable male or female character with a co-op focus. That, and it just feels rushed overall. The map and flow for upgrades didn't play well with the mechanics. I performed two or three (!) chain take downs in the entire game. In FC3 I did it dozens of times. It just wasn't practical in FC5 due to map design. Same with take downs from below, ect. It was rushed through and through. I expect the next Far Cry game to be even more co-op focused.

I wish they'd drop the whole silly, crazy guy theme to. Worked great in 3 and 4, but its time to make a serious game again.

The main game is good for what it is. I definitely enjoyed it but I'm going to say they are 0-2 on the DLCs so far and I don't have much hopes for the third one.

It has a focus on co-op and "play as you feel", so things such as story and more organic missions went out the window. There are a lot more fetch quests this go around, which is likely less annoying if you have four people doing it. An MP games typically are more simplistic in goals so you can coordinate together. This is why the mission design falls flat. The silent protaganist is directly the result of offering a customizable male or female character with a co-op focus. That, and it just feels rushed overall. The map and flow for upgrades didn't play well with the mechanics. I performed two or three (!) chain take downs in the entire game. In FC3 I did it dozens of times. It just wasn't practical in FC5 due to map design. Same with take downs from below, ect. It was rushed through and through. I expect the next Far Cry game to be even more co-op focused.

I wish they'd drop the whole silly, crazy guy theme to. Worked great in 3 and 4, but its time to make a serious game again.

I wished they gave you more then just two 'guns for hire' with SP and fixed the A.I flaw problem with it, it's like when you get one of them to drive you too a location on the map as a backup squad if they hit anything along the way they get out of car but never get back in so you have to drive to the location point by yourself and wait for them to catch up? under gun fire! And it the same for the stupid dog, If Ubisoft spent more time with the game instead a rushed through job, we wouldn't be in this mess I can understand if you was doing this mission with friends on the same team in MP mode at lease you have the back up then single player do, At first then the title said Your been hunted and on the radio it said watch your back I thought ok I hunt them? that would have been better in game play but NO that was not the case, to be abducted ok first time then you escape and on the run that would have been better but been abducted in mid air or in another area is a joke and to do the same location loop over and over again that got boring, it was a stupid move by the Ubisoft team copy and paste job at it best and it shows.

I played more than 9 hours of this game but no more because they still have not fix any of the big flaws also A.I bugs I am glad I didn't pay £49.99 on steam I would have been ****ed to waste my money like that on a broking game as it is still an unfinish game now.

Last edited:
[In] FC6 they need to change it up, and by that I don't mean more MP crap.
But you know as well as I that this is the direction the industry is headed...

Doesn't mean I have to like it, and I won't. I've seen enough Jimquisition and read enough articles to know what time it is. So, with that said, FC5 is definitely a Ubisoft game by numbers. Meh.

Good luck, its pretty much impossible to not advance along. I really hated the hand holding aspect of how they did this. Forces you to play sort of how they want. I liked 3 and 4 how you could do whatever and not progress unless you dis the missions to do so.

Good luck, its pretty much impossible to not advance along. I really hated the hand holding aspect of how they did this. Forces you to play sort of how they want. I liked 3 and 4 how you could do whatever and not progress unless you dis the missions to do so.

I think it is yet another dumbed down interface, so that stupid people can progress without having to think too much. it kind of ruins things for completionists though.

Just picked this up and....well what the fuck is with their HDR implementation?

If I turn on HDR10 it's horribly washed out and more muted than just turning HDR completely off. HDR scRGB is vibrant and looks great....except that the brightness is way too overblown and anything even approaching white is literally blinding. This is with their "Paper White" slider turned all the way down to 100...which I'm not sure even does anything.

Samsung CHG70+Vega 64. Just going to crank my brightness way down even though every other game looks fantastic at the current settings.

Just picked this up and....well what the fuck is with their HDR implementation?

If I turn on HDR10 it's horribly washed out and more muted than just turning HDR completely off. HDR scRGB is vibrant and looks great....except that the brightness is way too overblown and anything even approaching white is literally blinding. This is with their "Paper White" slider turned all the way down to 100...which I'm not sure even does anything.

Samsung CHG70+Vega 64. Just going to crank my brightness way down even though every other game looks fantastic at the current settings.

Like any other HDR oddity on PC, it's on your end. I'm using HDR10 on and LG B7A and 1080Ti and it looks wonderful. Nice, bright vibrant colors and no overblown lighting. Turning HDR off looks like what you describe, the game looks very drab and muted (more so than normal for a non-HDR game).

Sadly, HDR just doesn't work on PC like it does on consoles. I've encountered a myriad of problems over the years.

I've had issues all around with HDR, but generally i've gotten it to work with every title at this point - including Farcry 5 and Hitman 2 which is the worst as it black screens if you have HDR toggled in windows, and only works if you untoggle HDR in windows.. Which then means most other games won't work with HDR because it hasn't been toggled in windows.. stupid.

Microsoft needs to get with both AMD/Nvidia and fix the HDR shit once and for all moving forward.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I've had issues all around with HDR, but generally i've gotten it to work with every title at this point - including Farcry 5 and Hitman 2 which is the worst as it black screens if you have HDR toggled in windows, and only works if you untoggle HDR in windows.. Which then means most other games won't work with HDR because it hasn't been toggled in windows.. stupid.

Microsoft needs to get with both AMD/Nvidia and fix the HDR shit once and for all moving forward.

Hitman 2 didn't give me any trouble at all originally. I had HDR on in Windows, and turned it on in game and everything was great. I just went and checked it out to make sure I wasn't crazy and yeah HDR was on in game annnnnd it's all washed out unless I toggle in in Windows. Yep, HDR is just plain fucky on PC.

like this
Continuing fuckiness of PC HDR, just fired the game up and it’s working at intended and I had to raise the paper white setting up to the default 300. Whatever.

like this
I just finished this game a few days ago. I played Far Cry Primal just a few month's prior, and that was way better than FC5.

This game left me disappointed overall, FC3, 4, and Primal are all better in every way than this. Hell, even FC2 was a blast compared to this. FC5 feels too tedious, and it's too easy. I just grinded through the campaign missions until I beat the game, in the other installments, I would happily do the side quests, and explore. I had no desire to do that this time. If anyone has played FC New Dawn, is it the same? Is it better than FC5?

Back