Far Cry 5

Pre-orders are LIVE!

Also, new screenshots on the Steam page.

These screenshots sum up everything I already don't like about the game perfectly. Plane dogfights in Montana? In an alternate-reality US was invaded war game, I could buy into that. But when I'm supposed to believe this is just modern day Montana with some sort of cops vs. cult, this ruins it. I don't see how it would be possible for a cult to get machines of war. And if they did, it would be domestic terrorism and the military would step in and steamroll them. I know video games get to step outside of reality a little bit, but this is just too silly to try and put myself into.

These screenshots sum up everything I already don't like about the game perfectly. Plane dogfights in Montana? In an alternate-reality US was invaded war game, I could buy into that. But when I'm supposed to believe this is just modern day Montana with some sort of cops vs. cult, this ruins it. I don't see how it would be possible for a cult to get machines of war. And if they did, it would be domestic terrorism and the military would step in and steamroll them. I know video games get to step outside of reality a little bit, but this is just too silly to try and put myself into.

Yeah, this is the problem I have with it also, its easier to believe when its in a war torn foreign country like the previous games, but not in rural America, not saying that it couldn't happen, it does, look at what happened at Ruby Ridge & Waco. Seems a little too Far Fetched. (Pun intended). I liked the game better when you were that lone survivor or cast away type character of the previous games. So far we have "You're a Cop" administering street justice to the local religious cult.

Watch the movie Red State... Although fictitious, they show how it's possible to be under the radar for so long....and while they didn't have a plane, they did have everything else. Ak47s, grenades, booby traps, rpgs, etc.. And they were crazy as hell.
This setting of FC 5 totally reminds me of that movie.

As well, planes do exist in Montana, lol
Crop dusters ring a bell? If you can manage to get an rpg, I'm sure you can manage to mount a machine gun on your plane too. Lol

Last edited:
Watch the movie Red State... Although fictitious, they show how it's possible to be under the radar for so long....and while they didn't have a plane, they did have everything else. Ak47s, grenades, booby traps, rpgs, etc.. And they were crazy as hell.
This setting of FC 5 totally reminds me of that movie.

As well, planes do exist in Montana, lol
Crop dusters ring a bell? If you can manage to get an rpg, I'm sure you can manage to mount a machine gun on your plane too. Lol

The planes they show appears to be WW2 era military aircraft. Some (very) quick googling puts that somewhere between $500k to $5M. Then you have to militarize it, which even if you could find the right items (legal or otherwise) I bet your talking another 100k to do that. You'd need an extremely wealthy group of individuals to put together a "military" with heavy weapons like that.

But even if we're to believe that a group did manage to amass hardware like that, it's not going to be left up to the locals to deal with. You yourself used Waco as an example. All they had (to my knowledge) was small arms, and look at the response that was brought in. They had tanks, hummers, recon planes, and delta force all working with the FBI to deal with it. And yet I'm supposed to believe that a similar cult type group that's far more heavily armed would be left to the local sheriff to deal with? As soon as they were discovered, the feds would come in and take control with a strong military response. If this were the setting of the next Call of Duty, I'd buy into a little more. I'd still find it silly and dislike it, but at least it brings it into the realm of "if it were possible, here's what would happen...". An open world, deal with it at your own pace setting just doesn't make any sense. That's so far from how it would be responded to in real life. It works in third world countries where the military and/or governemnt is poor, corrupt, non-existent, occupied with other conflicts like civil war, etc. But America has the resources and technology to detect and respond to something like this. It would never be allowed to happen like the game seems to want it to.

The planes they show appears to be WW2 era military aircraft. Some (very) quick googling puts that somewhere between $500k to $5M. Then you have to militarize it, which even if you could find the right items (legal or otherwise) I bet your talking another 100k to do that. You'd need an extremely wealthy group of individuals to put together a "military" with heavy weapons like that.

But even if we're to believe that a group did manage to amass hardware like that, it's not going to be left up to the locals to deal with. You yourself used Waco as an example. All they had (to my knowledge) was small arms, and look at the response that was brought in. They had tanks, hummers, recon planes, and delta force all working with the FBI to deal with it. And yet I'm supposed to believe that a similar cult type group that's far more heavily armed would be left to the local sheriff to deal with? As soon as they were discovered, the feds would come in and take control with a strong military response. If this were the setting of the next Call of Duty, I'd buy into a little more. I'd still find it silly and dislike it, but at least it brings it into the realm of "if it were possible, here's what would happen...". An open world, deal with it at your own pace setting just doesn't make any sense. That's so far from how it would be responded to in real life. It works in third world countries where the military and/or governemnt is poor, corrupt, non-existent, occupied with other conflicts like civil war, etc. But America has the resources and technology to detect and respond to something like this. It would never be allowed to happen like the game seems to want it to.

The setting of FC5 is FAR more realistic than 99% of video games on the market. Would it happen in the real world? Hell no. Does it make for a potentially fun setting? Yes.

The setting of FC5 is FAR more realistic than 99% of video games on the market. Would it happen in the real world? Hell no. Does it make for a potentially fun setting? Yes.

Realism only matters (to me) when the game presents itself as real life. Fantasy, sci-fi, etc... they aren't pretending to be based on reality, so it doesn't get so much as a second thought. But when a game wants to base itself on reality, my mind wants to automatically scrutinize the parts that aren't. It just seems over the top for something that (I think) is supposed to be taken seriously. It just seems like they are trying to take the same culture from the previous two games, but they put it into a spot where that culture wouldn't be allowed to exist.

The reality is that is really doesn't matter anyway. I'm tired of Ubisoft's boring ass open world games. We're approaching COD levels of copy of a copy of a copy and a I can't imagine this will be any different. So maybe I'm being overly critical of the setting because I think the game is going to be lame regardless.

Yeah, this is the problem I have with it also, its easier to believe when its in a war torn foreign country like the previous games, but not in rural America, not saying that it couldn't happen, it does, look at what happened at Ruby Ridge & Waco. Seems a little too Far Fetched. (Pun intended). I liked the game better when you were that lone survivor or cast away type character of the previous games. So far we have "You're a Cop" administering street justice to the local religious cult.
I think what really bothers you is that it ISN'T far fetched. ;)

Before jumping to conclusions here, because you nor I or anybody else for that matters knows the entire story, just glimpses... Let's think here...

Maybe, just maybe....
What if an entire town(or majority of a town) goes rogue/rebels against modern day America? And or maybe the town takes control of the local authorities so every thing seems normal outside of that area?
Sure, even if this was highly unlikely, the effect this would have in the short amount of days this takes place would be crazy. Control the authorities, you can control what comes in and what goes out, including weapons AND information.

This in game timeline could very well be the first several days to a few weeks of all this happening.
In which if true, several days to a few weeks is more than enough time to create a playable and chaotic story out of the setting.

The military wouldn't come through right away until the cops and the feds failed first. In the movie Red State, that family had a history of aggression, violence and reputation that built up to having the feds/military came in. I expect the same here. However, not yet.

Montana has also one of the largest WW2 memorabilia and WW2 plane collections in the U. S.
Could it very well be that maybe the town takes part in this tradition as well?
Maybe one average Joe can't fund something like this, but a town of several hundred to a few thousand? I would think they could. So there's a possible answer towards the WW2 plane fights and the costs for upkeep. For all we know, there could very well be just one or two dog fights throughout the entire game.

And also to note, a whole town full of crazy pro gun religious nut jobs, is far more dangerous/effective than the dozen or so culprits in that Red State movie, and yet look at the resistance/fight that they put up! Almost half of the movie was a gun fight.

Another thing to think about is Montana and its gun laws in general. As I do recall Montana being a pro gun state, having stored an arsenal of weapons throughout, is quite possible - including illegal weapons.

All it takes is a spark to light a fire. What do you get when you mix a red neck towns preacher(who loses his mind) and hundreds of his armed wacko followers? Your Far Cry 5 plot :p

So again, this story may only be the first several days to a few weeks time frame of such events, before the military shuts it down. And I agree, the military would shut it down.... eventually. But I don't think the military would strike right away, especially if word didn't get out. As I said before, It's likely we're going to see controlled cops trying to keep things/ forced to keep things under wraps for as long as possible for the townsoperations to take place.
I can't emphasize it enough that this whole playable story will be the first several days or so of it all going down.

As for the protagonist -
For all we know, we're just a passerby going through a random town at the wrong time and we're caught in the middle of it all.

A simple 1:30 trailer or a few screenshots are certainly not going to answer all of the questions. They're called a teaser for a reason. Lol

This is just my theory of what's going on.

Last edited:
I think what really bothers you is that it ISN'T far fetched. ;)

It really is. If we're talking about radical groups going out and killing people in the US, if you want it to be the most sensible and realistic, it would be a Black Lives Matter inspired movement. They're actively killing police and setting up ambushes. It isn't a far stretch to say they may plan a larger scale attack in the near future and it would be more realistic than this. Although even more realistic than that even would be a Mexican drug cartel theme. Because they actually set up road blocks dressed in military fatigues right across the border. Armed with grenades and rocket launchers. I can see some anti-Trump movement expanding state side and taking over some towns, setting up road blocks and ambushes like they do right across the border. Fits right into the Far Cry gameplay of checkpoints and camps. But the SJW crowd would never let either of those play out. I recall when GRAW 2 came out the major of Juarez wanted it pulled from sale. In 2017, I can see the entire state of California trying to pull such a game from sale. :p

The rednecks? Probably just sitting on their porches mumbling and bumbling about in the middle of nowhere. :p

You need to be nonconvential when it comes to gameplay UBI always tries for realism which can be boring.

i dig the setting, i'll probably give this one a shot after sitting out the last few Far Cry games.

Personally I wont pre order this game. I'll wait for actual reviews. For some reason I'm a little leary of this one.

so is this going to be like the new ghost recon where you have AI people following oyu around all the time or more like Far Cry 3,4?

will most likely pass on this unless it gets amazing reviews or is some graphics showcase

I find it hilarious that people are decrying the unrealistic nature of the game. It's a fucking game. Get over it you 'tards.

And yet I'm supposed to believe that a similar cult type group that's far more heavily armed would be left to the local sheriff to deal with?

No one is asking you "believe" anything. It's. A. Game. Work of fiction.

I like the idea of a Far Cry game set in the US and using a religious cult/militia/sovereign as the antagonist also seems to fit the region.

I like the idea of a Far Cry game set in the US and using a religious cult/militia/sovereign as the antagonist also seems to fit the region.

same here, i think it's a great setting for a Far Cry game.

Yeah, it's kinda like most people complaining haven't actually been to Montana... :p

I have family over there, I've been multiple times...I think it could potentially work, especially if they fudge it a bit as that article above states.

Montana is not some unique setting where it's the only place in the USA where the gameplay can work...you can pretty much choose any rural state and run with the theme of religious fanatics...anywhere in the Pacific Northwest would work just as well (and would probably be a better setting)...Portland, Oregon or Washington state come to mind

Montana is a better choice for this type of game because there is a LOT more open landmass than the other states you mentioned.

Also, given the plot, those other states would make way less sense.

Also, given the plot, those other states would make way less sense.

the plot was most likely built upon the Montana setting...so in theory they could have used Idaho, Wisconsin, Portland etc and built the plot around those locations...my point was that Montana is not that unique

From what I see, the whole point was to make an anti-white / anti-christian game that paints both parties as terrorists.

From what I see, the whole point was to make an anti-white / anti-christian game that paints both parties as terrorists.
Of course it was. I see some people say "They are extreme Christians so it doesn't count" but the line is blurry enough to make it hard to differentiate.
Compare it to radical ("extreme") Islam: People defend Islam by saying "Not all Muslims are terrorists" etc etc, which is true, and yet that never stops anybody from calling all Muslims terrorists or making those connections here.

It really feels like Ubisoft got tired of anti-Islamic headlines and decided to make a game where god-fearing Christians are extremist terrorists and we have to take them out. See guys? Those white, mid-western Christians are JUST AS BAD as the brown muslims.

We have yet to play the game so perhaps Ubisoft will really go in a totally different direction. I'm an atheist... and definitely not a redneck... so it doesn't affect me directly. Still don't like having political agendas shoved in my face.

At least we can give them credit for trying something new.

...I'm an atheist... and definitely not a redneck... so it doesn't affect me directly.
Still don't like having political agendas shoved in my face.

Hmmmm... I'll try to be careful here... politically correct BS and all that crap.

I'm an atheist too & definitely not a redneck - but Montanans aren't rednecks either.

While this doesn't effect me directly, I don't like having political agendas shoved in my face.

Why didn't they make this game about inner city / urban combat drug thugs?

You know why.

I find it hilarious that people are decrying the unrealistic nature of the game. It's a fucking game. Get over it you 'tards.

No one is asking you "believe" anything. It's. A. Game. Work of fiction.

Well some of us like some quality in our games. I prefer to play a game with some thought and care put into it. I'd still play this, but the lazy theme certainly makes it less appealing.

Hmmmm... I'll try to be careful here... politically correct BS and all that crap.

I'm an atheist too & definitely not a redneck - but Montanans aren't rednecks either.

While this doesn't effect me directly, I don't like having political agendas shoved in my face.

Why didn't they make this game about inner city / urban combat drug thugs?

You know why.

Agreed, but urban only setting would be dull as hell and not fit Far Cry. It would cross over into Watch Dogs territory. At least the first game; the 2nd kind of lacked the really run down areas found in Watch Dogs. We have a lot of similar games taking place in cities, GTA, Watch Dogs, Mafia, you name it.

I still think the best option for a US based scenario would be drug cartels crossing the border. Map split between the US and Mexico maybe. But, I suppose some people might find the desert kind of dull and repetitive. Some nice looking places on the border, but they more or less all have a similar look. Although I do find Montana fairly dull myself.

Last edited:
Well some of us like some quality in our games. I prefer to play a game with some thought and care put into it. I'd still play this, but the lazy theme certainly makes it less appealing.

Not sure how a theme can be "lazy", unless its one that's already been done to death. "Kill the terrorists", Zzz... "Take out the mexican drug cartels", Zzz.. "Shoot all the aliens in the abandoned space station" etc. Those would be lazy themes. A charismatic, religious cult leader - who for all we know might be a bad guy you root for if the writing and voice acting is on par - set in an american town and chock full of american themes? Not lazy.

"But thur makin' fun of 'Murica" - is that what this is really about for some people? Because they're not.

Last edited:
ffs don't try turning this into a malicious political vehicle by ubisoft. it's a game. you shoot shit and have fun.

I think some people get triggered by the "made by a multicultural team of blah blah blah" at the beginning of Ubisoft games.

I get triggered by how shitty uPlay is. :(

Back