Fallout 76

Is Fallout Worlds like this, if you can't beat the hackers then market and monetize? I'm guessing now any single player bethesda games are now pushed off indefinitely.

I love CAMP building in FO76, but progression not carrying over to adventure mode kills this for me.

Also... would any of you be interested in adding me to your friends list? I love visiting CAMPS and borrowing (stealing) camp ideas for my next build.

IGN: B41T

I only ask that you PM or reply in this thread that you're adding me. I tend to delete request I don't recognize.

I play at 2560x1440, max settings with only dof turned to minimum (I hate dof).

Current video cards
rtx 2080ti
rx 6800

The performance difference between these 2 in this game is, well astounding. So I was hoping to get some feedback from people who use the rx 6800 in this game. Normally I get anywhere from 0-15 percent difference between these 2. In this game it's more like 60-80 percent in favor of the rtx 2080 ti.

Does anyone have any idea's. I can't really get a faster cpu. I've ddu'd. I've done everything besides a clean install.

All of my Nvidia cards do massively better in this game than the rx 6800. I've installed the most recent chipset, I've done full amd reinstall for drivers. I can't really think of anything else. I've full screened the game better, but still nothing compared to nvidia.

Also... would any of you be interested in adding me to your friends list? I love visiting CAMPS and borrowing (stealing) camp ideas for my next build.

IGN: B41T

I only ask that you PM or reply in this thread that you're adding me. I tend to delete request I don't recognize.
Hello,

I will add you. You will get an invite from Brackel

Does anyone have any idea's. I can't really get a faster cpu. I've ddu'd. I've done everything besides a clean install.

All of my Nvidia cards do massively better in this game than the rx 6800. I've installed the most recent chipset, I've done full amd reinstall for drivers. I can't really think of anything else. I've full screened the game better, but still nothing compared to nvidia.

First thing I would do is limit the framerate in the game and turn off vsync. If I didn't the game would give me massive issues with stuttering and performance.

This might also fix the issues with the 6800xt. Have you given that a shot?

First thing I would do is limit the framerate in the game and turn off vsync. If I didn't the game would give me massive issues with stuttering and performance.

This might also fix the issues with the 6800xt. Have you given that a shot?

Yea, that's what I did.

I haven't had any issues with my nvidia cards, as long as I fps limit it, otherwise the menu run's at 1k+ fps and stutters insanely.

With amd, regardless of what I did, I'd get poor performance. The rx 6800 is within margin on the games I play (compared to benchmarks). It's just a potato in this game (or games that rely on lots of raytracing).

Yea, that's what I did.

I haven't had any issues with my nvidia cards, as long as I fps limit it, otherwise the menu run's at 1k+ fps and stutters insanely.

With amd, regardless of what I did, I'd get poor performance. The rx 6800 is within margin on the games I play (compared to benchmarks). It's just a potato in this game (or games that rely on lots of raytracing).
So looking around reddit I did find this from someone who was able to help his performance with a 6800xt? Not sure if this would work for you, but its worth a shot. Not sure if you have an AMD CPU or not, but with his 6800xt it looks like the tesselation settings could be an issue?

"Fallout76 uses dx11.1 and the amd cpu is a problem i have installed the dxvk 1.9 most of the problems when aways and i am now able to play in ultra settings. ALso set the tesselation to auto on amd drivers. there still some stutering and loading new areas with alot of buildings and e some cases fps drops to 50. As i said solve some of hte issues. but the experience is alot better since i set it with dxvk."

So looking around reddit I did find this from someone who was able to help his performance with a 6800xt? Not sure if this would work for you, but its worth a shot. Not sure if you have an AMD CPU or not, but with his 6800xt it looks like the tesselation settings could be an issue?

"Fallout76 uses dx11.1 and the amd cpu is a problem i have installed the dxvk 1.9 most of the problems when aways and i am now able to play in ultra settings. ALso set the tesselation to auto on amd drivers. there still some stutering and loading new areas with alot of buildings and e some cases fps drops to 50. As i said solve some of hte issues. but the experience is alot better since i set it with dxvk."

Yea, my tessellation was set to auto. I've never changed from ultra settings @ 1440p. I have a 5900x with ram at 3600. It feels like a cpu limitation (I should have started with that), as the gpu clocks are all over the place. While I am cpu limited at times with an rtx 2080ti/rtx 3070 ti/ rtx 3080 (more so on the last of the three) it's nothing like the rx 6800.

Last edited:
Yea, my tessellation was set to auto. I've never changed from ultra settings @ 1440p. I have a 5900x with ram at 3600. It feels like a cpu limitation (I should have started with that), as the gpu clocks are all over the place. While I am cpu limited at times with an rtx 2080ti/rtx 3070 ti/ rtx 3080 (more so on the last of the three) it's nothing like the rx 6800.
Hmm well my wife who plays is using a 5600x and never is CPU limited. But, she is also using a 3080 RTX at 1440p/144hz.

I am using a 5900x as well, but I am also playing in 4k120hz which the CPU isn't the limiting factor. (Also using 32GB of memory @ 3800mhz)

It really makes me wonder if it isnt the GPU and drivers to be honest. the 6800xt shouldn't have any issues running fo76....

I guess one last question, have you installed the later chipset driver?

Hmm well my wife who plays is using a 5600x and never is CPU limited. But, she is also using a 3080 RTX at 1440p/144hz.

I am using a 5900x as well, but I am also playing in 4k120hz which the CPU isn't the limiting factor. (Also using 32GB of memory @ 3800mhz)

It really makes me wonder if it isnt the GPU and drivers to be honest. the 6800xt shouldn't have any issues running fo76....

I guess one last question, have you installed the later chipset driver?

Yep.

I can assure you, at times I'm cpu limited. You should notice this when your in bases where lots of lights intersect. Especially at white spring bases. This is mine, so it's super repeatable (for me).

(this is the 3070ti)

1631749719404.png

gotta give this one a bump because i've been addicted to it for ~80 hours and i expect many more. i know there was a LOT of anger directed at it at launch which i'm not gonna bother rehashing, but i'll just say as a new player coming in more than 3 years after launch (holy shit how has it been that long?!) i've had nothing but good experiences, save for public servers getting laggy sometimes when playing during peak hours (usually fixed by switching to other "worlds"/servers.)

even though it was never intended to be a full single player rpg a la fallout 4, i was really impressed with how much content there is to do which is pretty much your typical single player fallout experience, just with less of a core narrative (although it still has narratives.) 90%+ of my time has been playing solo and i've never felt like i'm playing some sort of stripped down experience.

the "atom shop" i know will still be triggering to some people even if they have no intent on ever spending real money there, but you absolutely don't have to even look at it if you don't want to. you do earn the currency by playing the game and leveling up on the "scoreboard" thing although it's obviously at a pretty limited rate unless you're very efficient about doing the activities that reward the most "score."

also it's a surprisingly good looking game (sometimes it's stunning, actually) runs excellent, and has fantastic audio design (weapons sound amazing, good music and in-game radio stations, good ambient audio design, etc.) all in all, for $10 on sale, i don't think i've gotten as much value from a game purchase in a long time. i'm sure there are things to pick it apart over especially if you're one of those people who expects to play games like this for literally thousands of hours and have high quality "end game" content pumped out all the time, but i went in looking for a fun fallout game and got way more than i expected.

gotta give this one a bump because i've been addicted to it for ~80 hours and i expect many more. i know there was a LOT of anger directed at it at launch which i'm not gonna bother rehashing, but i'll just say as a new player coming in more than 3 years after launch (holy shit how has it been that long?!) i've had nothing but good experiences, save for public servers getting laggy sometimes when playing during peak hours (usually fixed by switching to other "worlds"/servers.)

even though it was never intended to be a full single player rpg a la fallout 4, i was really impressed with how much content there is to do which is pretty much your typical single player fallout experience, just with less of a core narrative (although it still has narratives.) 90%+ of my time has been playing solo and i've never felt like i'm playing some sort of stripped down experience.

the "atom shop" i know will still be triggering to some people even if they have no intent on ever spending real money there, but you absolutely don't have to even look at it if you don't want to. you do earn the currency by playing the game and leveling up on the "scoreboard" thing although it's obviously at a pretty limited rate unless you're very efficient about doing the activities that reward the most "score."

also it's a surprisingly good looking game (sometimes it's stunning, actually) runs excellent, and has fantastic audio design (weapons sound amazing, good music and in-game radio stations, good ambient audio design, etc.) all in all, for $10 on sale, i don't think i've gotten as much value from a game purchase in a long time. i'm sure there are things to pick it apart over especially if you're one of those people who expects to play games like this for literally thousands of hours and have high quality "end game" content pumped out all the time, but i went in looking for a fun fallout game and got way more than i expected.

In my opinion the game was much better after wastelanders. Without the NPC's, I could not play it.

I'll also say this, it's easier for me to "unlock (paytowin)" the scrap box occasionally to a mass junk and turn off the subscription. Then I just stop caring junk except flux.

If you liked 4 it's definitely worth a shot these days. It goes on sale for like $8.
yeah, for that price, if you liked 4 and understand that 76 is a somewhat different type of game, you should have a pretty good time. even moreso if you really like the Fallout setting and lore in general.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I haven't touched this in a couple years and don't really have anything else to play right now. I might fire it back up and see what's new.

(I would tend to be leaning in his preferred direction here with a stealth leaning.)

https://gamerant.com/fallout-76-worth-playing-dlc-2022-improvements/ <- Is this a fairly accurate summary of things as they currently stand?

EDIT ADD:
I see a lot of my Fallout 4 running buddies in this thread playing this so that tells me something.

Much to my own amazement: Pulled the trigger. Here goes nothing. It's all of y'all's fault. ;)

Last edited:
I've played for several hours and it definitely feels like Fallout 4 in a lot of ways. I do agree with some of the (subjective) criticisms about some off the things in 4 that I didn't like are emphasized a bit in this. The survival aspects (almost rogue), building... but it's not a game breaker. I think my settings are good. I'm running at 4k on a 3080 and I left iPresentInterval to 1 for now because if you release the cap I just don't want the thing to run more than it needs to. I don't know if there's anything else I should do. Everything seems pretty stable. I'm just running the early quests they give you I haven't tried any activities yet because I think I'm too weak to do it. Overall I'd say I'm tilting in positive territory with this and we will see what time tells on it for me.

EDIT: I keep playing so that says something. People were right about a super nice community. I had some high leveled player (some nice lady) who took me on a 30 minute or so tour/tutorial and gave me all kinds of loot and stuff. She even modded some of my gear... crazy generous.

Last edited:
Report says Fallout 76 development was plagued by crunch and poor leadership

Interviews with current and former employees of Bethesda Softworks and parent company ZeniMax reveal a development process that was light on leadership, heavy on crunch, and hindered by inter-studio rivalries

The report says Fallout 76's development was particularly rough on testers, who worked 10-hour days, six days a week, in the months leading up to release...the situation unfortunately did not improve when the game went live, as it was wracked with bugs and missing a number of basic features...

https://kotaku.com/bethesda-zenimax-fallout-76-crunch-development-1849033233

I tried to get into fallout 4 but gave up because it was too difficult to learn how to craft and travel around. I just don't have the time to spend learning all kinds of random things. I need an easy mode for me to enjoy the fun parts not waste time learning time consuming things. Shame because fallout 3 was one of my favorite games of all time.

I tried to get into fallout 4 but gave up because it was too difficult to learn how to craft and travel around. I just don't have the time to spend learning all kinds of random things. I need an easy mode for me to enjoy the fun parts not waste time learning time consuming things. Shame because fallout 3 was one of my favorite games of all time.

Fallout 4 on easier difficulties should have been do-able for you. I can always recommend Nexus Mods to put you over the top. I don't care much for a lot of those aspects either. If you though 4 was tough then you can forget trying 76 because those aspects are emphasized even more which, for me, is a drag but I gutted through it.

I finished 76 and I'm probably done with it. I played through all the content and finished all the story stuff and... yeah, that's probably it for me. I liked it well enough but it made me miss 4 with all my mods and tricks. These games and especially this engine are definitely showing their age quite a bit, too.

Not sure I quite understand what the "The Pitt" is? Is this a new map (if so, they didn't really focus on the map as a whole)? Kind of looks like one of those unique procedurally generated maps per run?

Hopefully it's an extension of the existing map. Pittsburgh is just down the road from WV after all. If it's some kind of "roguelike" addition, that's lame.

I'm glad some of you still play. At level 1001 right now and there isn't really anything to do anymore. I've found myself utilizing the extra camp slots and different shelters to try and create unique themes.

Any of you folks like building? I'd love to add you and tour to borrow some ideas.

I'm glad some of you still play. At level 1001 right now and there isn't really anything to do anymore. I've found myself utilizing the extra camp slots and different shelters to try and create unique themes.

Any of you folks like building? I'd love to add you and tour to borrow some ideas.
There is a youtube channel I watch called Darth Xion. He does I think a weekly camp build and some of his are absolutely amazing! I learned some thing that I had no idea you could even do in the game. His recent Hermit camp build blew my mind.

I too am in the same boat. The only thing I have left to do is finish the scoreboard and do my dailies. I am only level 361, but yeah not much else to do.

https://www.youtube.com/c/DarthXionGames/featured

Back