Fallout 4

Partial info: what I've found out so far is that disconnecting from the internet improved FPS by 3-8 frames. Still looking into the issue.

Edit: Confirmed - Fallout4.exe is calling home.
Have to make sure you can access the Creation Club at any time when you have the urge to waste $8 on that $0.50 Pipboy skin.

For clarity, screencap:

AceGoober_FO4_Calling_Home.jpg

I started a new game about a month ago, with this creation club bull shit I deleted the game and don't plan on reinstalling.

Just block the app through the firewall and you won't have to worry about CC. So far my game is running better once Fallout4.exe was blocked from phoning home. The only downside is Steam Achievements won't update but if you are not concerned with them then it is no big deal.

I started a new game about a month ago, with this creation club bull shit I deleted the game and don't plan on reinstalling.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Just block the app through the firewall and you won't have to worry about CC. So far my game is running better once Fallout4.exe was blocked from phoning home. The only downside is Steam Achievements won't update but if you are not concerned with them then it is no big deal.

Meh, I just find the whole creating club and phone home shit to be too much, after Skyrim I am done with Bethesda, the greedy fucks.

What really bothers me is that a lot of the long term success for The Elder Scrolls games and Fallout lies in the modding community. The games are often buggy, which is fixed by the modding community. They typically are decent games, but really only shine and become great when modded. And now Bethesda is milking the community for more money, when I would argue that the community is the one that has provided a large percentage of Bethesda's success.

If Bethesda removes the ability to mod the games as I have been able to up until now, without paying money, I will never buy another Bethesda game.

Update: After performing a lot of troubleshooting I found my ENB Boost was disabled. Once I restored the ENB settings FPS went back to normal. Unsure why this happened as I haven't touched ENB settings since well before patch 1.9.4. Anyways, it is fixed and FPS is where it should be.

Also, there is an awesome quest named Operation Manhattan - New York BoS Quest which is pretty damn good. I recommend giving it a try. I haven't experienced any issues with any of the 111 mods currently loaded in my game.

Edit: for old times sake I've installed a VM so I can run Fallout 3 in a Windows 7 32 bit environment. Gonna be good to get back into the old romp and stomp game. :D

Last edited:
NexusMods doesn't follow the same path so you are free to choose whatever mod you want without having to donate. If you don't want to donate, then fine. Though, I will say I support the mod authors whenever I am able. Even mods I've downloaded ages ago.

What really bothers me is that a lot of the long term success for The Elder Scrolls games and Fallout lies in the modding community. The games are often buggy, which is fixed by the modding community. They typically are decent games, but really only shine and become great when modded. And now Bethesda is milking the community for more money, when I would argue that the community is the one that has provided a large percentage of Bethesda's success.

If Bethesda removes the ability to mod the games as I have been able to up until now, without paying money, I will never buy another Bethesda game.

like this
Cool beans regarding Xander. Glad you are enjoying the mod.

I found MCM earlier this morning. I'm gonna give it a bit of time to mature and have greater mod support prior to testing it out.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21497/?

You were right about Xander. So far I'm pretty impressed with that.

Some of these modders have blown me away. The crew that did Fusion City, Outcast, and 50 days to die at Nicks especially dazzled me.

like this
Update: After performing a lot of troubleshooting I found my ENB Boost was disabled. Once I restored the ENB settings FPS went back to normal. Unsure why this happened as I haven't touched ENB settings since well before patch 1.9.4. Anyways, it is fixed and FPS is where it should be.

I've never used ENB yet so I'd be interested to see if you ever find out what the culprit was because apparently a lot of us noticed this.

ENB...exe reaching out to Internet and/or something else???

That update really shouldn't have done this by all rights. Looking forward to trying out that BOS quest. :)

ENB doesn't have a .exe executable file. ENB uses an injection method of overlaying graphics effects on the game.

I'm unsure at this point as to why ENB was disabled but am looking into it and will report back.

I've never used ENB yet so I'd be interested to see if you ever find out what the culprit was because apparently a lot of us noticed this.

ENB...exe reaching out to Internet and/or something else???

That update really shouldn't have done this by all rights. Looking forward to trying out that BOS quest. :)

ENB doesn't have a .exe executable file. ENB uses an injection method of overlaying graphics effects on the game.

I'm unsure at this point as to why ENB was disabled but am looking into it and will report back.

Sorry I meant the fallout .exe and totally forgot to write several words there.

Let me try that again:

It will be interesting to find out what the culprit actually was:

1.) Why did ENB Boost help you?

2.) Was the problem actually fallout 4's exe trying to reach out and/or is there something else?

This update really shouldn't have done this.

Comments in green.

Sorry I meant the fallout .exe and totally forgot to write several words there.

Let me try that again:

It will be interesting to find out what the culprit actually was:

1.) Why did ENB Boost help you?

ENB Boost provides better memory management as well as graphical enhancement than what is in FO4 and many other games. I've been using ENB Boost for several years (Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and a few other games) and I can tell you straight up the difference is definitely noticeable to me. There is much less pausing when textures are streamed which equates to a solid FPS increase. Even if you don't use any ENB presets just running ENB without graphical features enabled will improve your game.

If anyone here wants to see for yourself then here is what is needed to be done:

1. Go to www.enbdev.com and download the latest ENB build (0.311) for Fallout 4. Here is a direct link to the download page:

http://enbdev.com/download_mod_fallout4.htm

2. Extract the contents of the archive to your \Fallout 4 folder. Do not place in your \Fallout 4\Data folder as it will not work there.

3. Do not run your game at this time! There are a few more steps to take to enable ENB Boost without the graphical options.

4. Navigate to your \Fallout 4 folder and find the file enbseries.ini. Open the file in your favorite editor. I use Notepad++

The first two lines should be:

[GLOBAL]
UseEffect=true

Change the true to false so it looks like this:

[GLOBAL]
UseEffect=false

5. Save the file then close the editor.

Next, disable Steam Overlay for FO4; here's how:

1. Open Steam

2. Right-click on Fallout 4

3. Choose Properties

4. Uncheck the box next to Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.

5. Close window.

Run game as you would normally. I use NMM since I also use F4SE.

ENB, with or without graphics option, will not affect your save file. It doesn't modify your save file at all. Very safe to use.

2.) Was the problem actually fallout 4's exe trying to reach out and/or is there something else?

This update really shouldn't have done this.

Without solid proof I can neither agree nor disagree. However, after a bit of experimenting I found a contributing factor to my FPS loss.

Comodo updated and for some stupid reason the exclusions I set were gone. Once I reset the exclusions then ENB started working correctly consistently as well as other games I run.

like this
I am running this ENB preset right now and it is flippin' awesome. Very well done. Good balance of lighting and ambience. Thanks for the recommendation.

PILGRIM Dread the Commonwealth

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23845/?tab=1&navtag=http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/ajax/moddescription/?id=23845&preview=&pUp=1

Been playing with this one. Its amazing. Like playing Stalker or Metro. Give it a try.

Here is something for a slight change of pace with regards to BoS. Check out Ad Victoriam. A Brotherhood of Steel Overhaul coupled with Enhanced Prydwen Overhaul 2.0. Uniforms look damn good, weapons - including the minigun on the Vertibird - are much more effective and goddamn does the Prydwen look good and is customizable since it allows for personalization of living quarters.

like this
Some of these mods
For a change of pace and a several really good sets of quests in one package, try Xander's Aid - Neeher DLC. I just got through completing every quest and they were challenging and enjoyable. New weapons, new armor and a ton of fun.

I'm really impressed with this. Heck, someone finally used the aliens for something, too. ;)

I am not going to post this on his page because I don't think it's any big deal but I did have a CTD last night while playing in his worldspace area. It's been forever since I've seen one of those so I'm mildly suspicious it's because of his mod. Have you had any issues with it?

I haven't experienced an issue at all with Xander's Aid mod. Ran perfectly.

Some of these mods

I'm really impressed with this. Heck, someone finally used the aliens for something, too. ;)

I am not going to post this on his page because I don't think it's any big deal but I did have a CTD last night while playing in his worldspace area. It's been forever since I've seen one of those so I'm mildly suspicious it's because of his mod. Have you had any issues with it?

like this
Getting the itch to play this again. I never did get through Harbor or Nuka, and I think I'm still missing 1 or 2 of the smaller DLCs. I might just grab the GOTY to have it all in one package.

Probably wait a few months for all the mods to get patched up. I really want to try the Sims one.

Now that I think about it, I never played any of Skyrim's DLCs either! I am the worst kind of Bethesda fan, lol. Have been enjoying ESO continually, though.

Getting the itch to play this again. I never did get through Harbor or Nuka, and I think I'm still missing 1 or 2 of the smaller DLCs. I might just grab the GOTY to have it all in one package.

Probably wait a few months for all the mods to get patched up. I really want to try the Sims one.

Now that I think about it, I never played any of Skyrim's DLCs either! I am the worst kind of Bethesda fan, lol. Have been enjoying ESO continually, though.

man Far Harbor it's amazing.. nuka world was for me kinda meh, but far harbor absolutely loved it..

on another theme, installed and tested Pilgrim ENB, and absolutely loved the grim atmosphere but not enough to play the entire game that way.. some climates and lot of interiors just don't feel right or good enough, I still prefer to keep playing With NAC StandAlone preset A, + NAC ENB Enhancer with NAC settings edited to (-1) Saturation, (+1)HDR, (+1) Contrast, (-1) Gamma, (+1) Darker interiors.. overall the best possible game experience I've found with this game, everything just feels more natural gameplay, but also Zero FPS loss which its certainly good to keep installing more mods, im still going to test later Pilgrim with NAC entirely uninstalled (supposedly Pilgrim + Nac are compatible by just disabling NACFX and Weathers).

like this
Another update. Another series of time to determine the changes Bethesda has made with this latest update and how it will affect the mods I am currently working on. Their own forums don't even list this update or the changes incorporated.

Pathetic of Bethesda to release a update yet fail to fully list the changes made. (n)

Last edited:
Another update. Another serious of time to determine the changes Bethesda has made with this latest update and how it will affect the mods I am currently working on. Their own forums don't even list this update or the changes incorporated.

Pathetic of Bethesda to release a update yet fail to fully list the changes made. (n)

It's sheer BS and I feel sorry for the Script Extender people (and other modders potentially) for having to be bothered for such nonsense.

http://www.pcgamer.com/dooms-bfg-and-marine-armor-added-to-fallout-4s-creation-club-store/

I guess this is why F4SE is outdated yet again? Wow, what a PITA. You mean to tell me every time they do something with this it's going to throw the whole thing out of whack? That's just plain dumb. It's also dumb that Steam made it where I can't disable updates for games if I want to.
This is the worst part of it all: Bethesda implemented this clusterfuck in a way that you can't ignore it even if you want to.

Seems clear to me they are doing this as a really sad attempt to push Creator's Club over free mods.

It's kind of bothersome how aggressive they are pushing it as well, then Pete Hines on Twitter denying they are paid mods and saying they are mini-dlcs, $4-5 for one piece of equipment is ridiculous. The only other publishers that do crap like this are on mobile games as far as I know.

I don't particularly care for Creation Club myself and I don't like that it delivers mod news to the game's main menu. That said, there is a mod which will disable Creation Club news.

No More Creation Club News

Very popular mod with 1,577 endorsements to date. PC Gamer even did an article on the mod.

Edit: Holy crap...somebody created a mod called The Creation Club. It is a golf club that when swung creates random items.

Bethesda really doesn't look good on all of this. I've lost respect for them because of the likes of this.
I don't particularly care for Creation Club myself and I don't like that it delivers mod news to the game's main menu. That said, there is a mod which will disable Creation Club news.

No More Creation Club News

Very popular mod with 1,577 endorsements to date. PC Gamer even did an article on the mod.

Edit: Holy crap...somebody created a mod called The Creation Club. It is a golf club that when swung creates random items.

Clearly "statement" mods. ;)

does the Creation Club news on the Main menu really bother people that much?...seriously?...you're in the Main menu for a few seconds at most...it's not like it shows up in the game itself...

does the Creation Club news on the Main menu really bother people that much?...seriously?...you're in the Main menu for a few seconds at most...it's not like it shows up in the game itself...

I think it's less that and more the whole lying about paid mods and forcing nonsensical updates to break free mods.

Back