Fallout 4

Here's one for you all....

See all those nice, blue, pre-war houses in the pic? Those houses are from the Homemaker mod. I'm going to have to tear every one of those houses down and build new ones with the Rebuild - Modular Sanctuary Pre-War and Post-War Build Set due to the Homemaker houses still having navmesh issues. Most of the settlers cannot navigate in the houses at all or when they do, it takes them a long, long time to get to their Trader/Medical/Armor/Weapons/etc counters. Ann Hargrave, Trader Kylee and even Curie are unable to navigate through the houses. Usually they stand right outside the back bedroom window and no matter what navigational direction I give them they will not go into the houses or take a long time to get to their stations or beds.

What a waste of time and materials. :facepalm:

AceGoober_FO4_0254.jpg

Oh, and btw now that I think about it; Sanctuary only has 176 Defense as you see in the pic. Thing is, and I don't know at this point-in-time if it is a glitch or not, Sanctuary hasn't been attacked once since I put up the lights which were done well after defenses were in place. Rather odd if you ask me.

Last edited:
I've never had Sanctuary attacked or if I did it way early on in this last replay I started a couple of months ago.

Settlements ultimately are still far more trouble than they are worth. Mods like SOE and Homemaker have helped. Frankly, using god mode so I have the assets I want and just get it done clean and quick also help. This concept really could have stood to be more clean and intuitive and fun.

I have a routine with a settlement that goes something like this: Come in, clean it up, heavy machine guns perimeter at absolute minimum. 150 defense at minimum value. Food, water (homemaker options to pile 'em up quick), lights, stores (homemaker), maybe a few defense guards, put in a soda machine or something to up the happiness value and start letting them come in.

All I do after that is use the Vault Tec Management computer and assign jobs and most of my settlements rarely get attacked because I usually end up going to around 200 defense and I also use a Robot Workbench and leave them with one or even two crazy killer robots on Mr. Gutsy thrusters so they move quick and hard.

I won't lie. I cheat. I use god mode to give me the items I need along with something like this: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/68/? <- god mode gives me most of that although I've noticed a few odds and ends sometimes don't take make it so that's where that file comes in.
I just am not that big a fan of the settlements the way they were implemented in this.

I get it done fast and move on. I can have a top of the line settlement up and running inside of 10 minutes, tops. Sometimes even quicker. I have it done to a science. All I have to do is wait for settlers to come in...sometimes I'll just sleep and rush it...and assign jobs and that's it. Everything is up and running and waiting for them.

In the once in a blue moon a settlemement gets attacked I know I can wait a bit before I fast travel in there and help them clean up the mess but I'm usually pretty impressed with what I see.

If a settlement gets attacked, I repair things and up the defenses by another 50 or so. I rarely see repeats.

Last edited:
I don't use God mode or any material/component cheats as I've found the settlers assigned to scavenging stations provide enough junk items to cover the needs. I usually have 10 settlers assigned to scavenging stations at each settlement. The number assigned varies depending upon population. For example, Covenant has a population of 12 with 6 assigned to scavenge while the others are assigned to crops and stores. What also helps is having the supply lines between settlements to share resources and whatever I scavenge along the way.

The large platform in front of Fizztop Grille settlement was built using everything that I scavenged plus whatever furniture and other objects in the exterior area which were scrapped. To do this, and other building projects, in as short of period of time as possible, my character is equipped with gear to increase strength and agility which allows for carrying, without a companion, of up to 600 pounds. In addition, I'm also using Nodas Equipment Recycler which is an add-on to Contraptions Workshop. The mod has a portable recycler, in addition to the stationary recycler, which allows my character to break-down junk, clothes, armor, weapons, etc out in the field without having to be at a crafting station to do so. This mod has saved me countless hours of scavenging as it breaks most everything (except legendary items) down to component level. By my estimates, to build all of this I only have roughly four hours into the project. It is still a work-in-progress but there isn't that much more to go. A few more sidings on the support racks, another Power Armor display and a couple of other decorations and I'll be done with the project. Maybe another hour or two.

Pro-Tip: Using NSO - New Snap Order along with Place Everywhere allows for snapping additional objects (floors, walls and such) to the original wood elevator platform. The last two pics show how the area around the top and bottom parts of the elevator now look like after modification.

AceGoober_FO4_0255.jpg

AceGoober_FO4_0256.jpg

AceGoober_FO4_0257.jpg

AceGoober_FO4_0258.jpg

AceGoober_FO4_0259.jpg

I'm currently using the Fizztop Grille as a BoO (Base of Operations). Don't have to worry about settlers stealing my hard earned crap. Unlike in Sanctuary, prior to getting the defenses and lighting up, a settler stole The Gainer. The settler is now armed with a minigun and to keep them away from my goods and out of my home I'm using Private Area Markers. Works very, very well. Settlers get to the door then turn around and walk away. :D

Fizztop Grille was definitely an area that was underutilized. It makes a lot of sense to make it a settlement.

That is a good program.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26956/?

^^ Good. I guess I'll have to try this before the next dumb update.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I've been playing this for the first time over the past few weeks...currently at 120+ hours, Level 51, 271 places discovered and I'm only now heading back to Diamond City to meet up with Nick Valentine (after rescuing him)...so much exploration!...hopefully I didn't break any main quests by doing so much exploring too early...definitely better then Fallout 3 but New Vegas probably is still better overall

Fallout 4 has many, many nooks and crannies where there is great loot, whether playing regular or on survival, which saved my butt (low ammo) many a time. There is this one building with an elevator which, when taken, will appear to only have one destination stop. If you hop out on any of the three floors it bypasses there is excellent loot, provided your lockpicking skills are high enough. Get a personal jetpack and the building roofs are loaded with everything from ammo, meds, explosives, etc. Even in Sanctuary. ;)

I've been playing this for the first time over the past few weeks...currently at 120+ hours, Level 51, 271 places discovered and I'm only now heading back to Diamond City to meet up with Nick Valentine (after rescuing him)...so much exploration!...hopefully I didn't break any main quests by doing so much exploring too early...definitely better then Fallout 3 but New Vegas probably is still better overall

like this
Fallout 4 has many, many nooks and crannies where there is great loot, whether playing regular or on survival, which saved my butt (low ammo) many a time. There is this one building with an elevator which, when taken, will appear to only have one destination stop. If you hop out on any of the three floors it bypasses there is excellent loot, provided your lockpicking skills are high enough. Get a personal jetpack and the building roofs are loaded with everything from ammo, meds, explosives, etc. Even in Sanctuary. ;)

I've never had any ammo issues in the game...I explore every dresser, box etc and find tons of it...plus I have that Perk which increases ammo discovery

I never have issues finding ammo either. The problem I run into is finding 10mm ammo. I'm using the Walther P99 weapon mod and I've been going through 10mm ammo like a kid in a candy store. As soon as I get the supply lines ran to combine resources then I'll be building a ammo manufacturing plant at Starlight Drive-in to alleviate the issue.

I've never had any ammo issues in the game...I explore every dresser, box etc and find tons of it...plus I have that Perk which increases ammo discovery

I never have issues finding ammo either. The problem I run into is finding 10mm ammo. I'm using the Walther P99 weapon mod and I've been going through 10mm ammo like a kid in a candy store. As soon as I get the supply lines ran to combine resources then I'll be building a ammo manufacturing plant at Starlight Drive-in to alleviate the issue.

yeah certain types of ammo are hard to find...I use 2-3 weapons based on enemy type but my main gun is the double barrel shotgun (shells are pretty easy to find)...can pretty much 1 shot everything...even Deathclaws, Assaultrons and Mirelurk Queens go down with 3-4 shots max...I also use the Laser gun for ghouls as well as the Rifle which uses .308 ammo...I also use armor which increases Action Point refresh speed along with some other bonuses...I'm pretty much overpowered now

Out of curiosity, which level of difficulty do you play on?

yeah certain types of ammo are hard to find...I use 2-3 weapons based on enemy type but my main gun is the double barrel shotgun (shells are pretty easy to find)...can pretty much 1 shot everything...even Deathclaws and Mirelurk Queens go down with 3-4 shots max...I also use the Laser gun for ghouls as well as the Rifle which uses .308 ammo...I also use armor which increases Action Point refresh speed along with some other bonuses...I'm pretty much overpowered now

I mostly play on normal. I ought to go to hard more. It just feels like after a point things turn into bullet sponge city and not much of an AI boost.

Have you tried playing on very hard or Survival difficulties. That's what I play on.

Survival seems too grindy for my tastes...I should have played at Very Hard as Hard is no challenge at this point...but I'm already at Level 54 with pretty much only the main quest remaining so no point changing now...Hard was a decent challenge in the early parts of the game but once you get sufficiently leveled up I think only Survival difficulty would pose any real challenge

like this
Survival definitely isn't for me. That's a PITA. It turns things into a chore instead of a game for me.

I'm willing to go up to Very Hard though and I did that as of yesterday. I'm a level 100 character. I may as well get real. ;)

I was late to the party on these:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12183/? (Apparently a quest console code does the exact same thing. Once you've done it you can uninstall this.)

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21923/? (I was really glad for this. It is a little bit buggy but you can get it to work right. Be patient. Try several times. Elder Danse just has a lot of poetic justice for my playthrough.)

^^ If anyone knows about any more mods along these lines that either fixes, corrects, or finishes obvious dangling loose threads on story points please let me know about them.

I'm about to try this: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18949/?

Last edited:
Not to be an ass but you listed the same mod twice. :D

I was late to the party on these:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21923/? (Apparently a quest console code does the exact same thing. Once you've done it you can uninstall this.)

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21923/? (I was really glad for this. It is a little bit buggy but you can get it to work right. Be patient. Try several times. Elder Danse just has a lot of poetic justice for my playthrough.)

^^ If anyone knows about any more mods along these lines that either fixes, corrects, or finishes obvious dangling loose threads on story points please let me know about them.

Careful with this quest mod. It is quite challenging to:

get the outcome which saves everyone.

Edit: I would be remiss if I didn't recommend a mod so here goes...

Chinese Stealth Suit

Friggin' badass. It has become my go to suit for covert operations. Love it.

Last edited:
like this
Post edited and corrected.

Thanks for tips. I'll check out that stealth suit. ;) They did a nice job on the Enclave X-02 as well.

Last edited:
The stealth suit was/is so much fun lol. Finally got the GOTY edition, was waiting for this to come out before I jump in to FO4

I've been using the Stealth Suit for a couple of hours and it is damn nice. No issues so far.

The stealth suit was/is so much fun lol. Finally got the GOTY edition, was waiting for this to come out before I jump in to FO4

I am going to try out a couple of mods I believe will work nicely with one another. I may have to create a patch if there are any conflicts yet from what I can tell so far there isn't any.

Bunker Hill Redone

Bunker Hill - Corrected and Expanded

I normally mod the hell out of Bunker Hill once the settlement is obtained but with these two combined it'll save a lot of work.

Last edited:
like this
the best settlement location seems to be Spectacle Island...nice views, lots of open space, surrounded by water

like this
Spectacle Island is a good settlement location yet when it comes to defensibility it is pretty much the same as any other settlement where the assailants spawn inside the build area. One exception would be Covenant where the assailants do spawn outside of the walls. Covenant is very easily defensible and, when crammed in like sardines, the settlers prove to be a formidable force when armed with just mediocre weapons in conjunction with a few turrets.

the best settlement location seems to be Spectacle Island...nice views, lots of open space, surrounded by water

holy crap building that Signal Interceptor was a pain in the ass...I didn't have the patience to figure out all the wiring details so I just looked it up online

Which faction did you go with? Here is my breakdown:

1. Railroad or Minutemen: ensure your supply lines are established before building the signal interceptor. The additional resources from linked settlements are invaluable.

2. BoS: Everything you need will be at the airport. Shouldn't have to scrounge outside of the area.

holy crap building that Signal Interceptor was a pain in the ass...I didn't have the patience to figure out all the wiring details so I just looked it up online

Reinstalled to play with before FNV:New California drops. NMM is pulling unofficial patch, Atomic Radio, Tales from the Commonwealth, Operation Manhattan, Pilgrim, Xander's Aid, plus Everyone's Best friend and K9 harness for Dogmeat.
Any others?
I don't think my 970 (3.5gb) will deal with the HR pack.

It's been a while, but I don't recall the load times being quite this bad (rig in sig). Is my config borked? Too many mods?

Which faction did you go with? Here is my breakdown:

1. Railroad or Minutemen: ensure your supply lines are established before building the signal interceptor. The additional resources from linked settlements are invaluable.

2. BoS: Everything you need will be at the airport. Shouldn't have to scrounge outside of the area.

I'm not at the point where I need to make a final decision but I think I'm going to side with the Railroad...I want to side with BoS because I hear they give the best end-game rewards (jet pack for your Power Armor) but I don't think I'm going to create a save and replay multiple faction endings...I've already spent a crazy amount of time playing this and everything has been feeling repetitive for awhile now...seems like only the Institute ending gives you a different ending cutscene

as far as Junk needed to build things I'm overloaded with materials...for most of the game I was collecting tons of junk (and having my Companion haul tons of it as well)...stored all my junk at my main Workshop location and connected most of my settlements with Supply Lines...the Settlement stuff is actually interesting post-game content for players that want to go crazy and build elaborate towns

Post your load order so we can see what you have installed.

It's been a while, but I don't recall the load times being quite this bad (rig in sig). Is my config borked? Too many mods?

Post your load order so we can see what you have installed.
Odd. I had blocked the .exe in windows firewall as you had done a few pages back. I unblocked it and now loads are back to normal. Additionally, there are now 2 more instances of F4 there. WTF is Bethesda up to?

Huh? You blocked the .exe? I didn't block FO4 executable. When Comodo AV updated itself it wiped out my exclusions list. Once the exclusions list was reestablished, FO4 loaded normally.

Odd. I had blocked the .exe in windows firewall as you had done a few pages back. I unblocked it and now loads are back to normal.

Two more instances of FO4 where? In the game folder or listed in your antivirus program?

Additionally, there are now 2 more instances of F4 there. WTF is Bethesda up to?

What is a typical load time for Fallout 4? My load times vary with loading into the open outside world taking usually about 90 seconds. I don't recall it being this long when playing it at release, but now I have the official high res texture pack installed, a mod for proper ultrawide support is the only other thing running.

Going to try that Operation Manhattan, looks really nice. Just have to finish Nuka World first which I've recently entered for the first time.

What is a typical load time for Fallout 4? My load times vary with loading into the open outside world taking usually about 90 seconds. I don't recall it being this long when playing it at release, but now I have the official high res texture pack installed, a mod for proper ultrawide support is the only other thing running.

This is pretty typical for all that.

Going to try that Operation Manhattan, looks really nice. Just have to finish Nuka World first which I've recently entered for the first time.

Prepare for a helluva ride!

it takes my pc about 40 seconds to load fo4... that's using win 7,
clicking on short cut , loading steam, pop up menu, click play...
clicking past screens that I can click past , load last save, and then
into game..

running basic fo4 no mods,

If I have steam already loaded , and click the f4 short cut , it takes
about 25 seconds to load game.

it takes my pc about 40 seconds to load fo4... that's using win 7,
clicking on short cut , loading steam, pop up menu, click play...
clicking past screens that I can click past , load last save, and then
into game..

running basic fo4 no mods,

If I have steam already loaded , and click the f4 short cut , it takes
about 25 seconds to load game.

That's good. Mods change this very quickly.

This is because Bethesda employs exclusively howler monkeys on their engine team so they make some really dumb decisions. In particular, they've tied loading to framerate, and like all Creation Engine games, it is limited to 60 fps for physics reason. So what you need is a program that removes the frame cap during loading, and then puts it back during gameplay. Fortunately such a mod exists. If you have a fast system, this'll fix it. If you have it running on a slow-ish magnetic drive, it won't help as there's just a ton of data to stream in, but if you are running on an SSD it can cut load times a ton.

Back