Fallout 4

AceGoober

I screwed up updating this somehow. This is what I'm getting. Where did I go wrong?

20160728210843_1.jpg

Attachments

• LoadOrder_Fallout4_2016-07-28T21-10-50.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 163
Q-BZ

Looking into the issue as it happened to me when I updated. I'll let you all know of a fix when I either find one or work it out.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Q-BZ

I've got a problem on my end. Seems Fallout 4 didn't care too much for 407 mods and is on its deathbed. I can still play but the areas around Goodneighbor and Faneuil Hall are glitched. Here's what it looks like:

AceGoober_FO4_0248.jpg

AceGoober_FO4_0249.jpg

And, my PipBoy map is messed-up. If I set a custom destination I can't remove it. My character icon is a cave entrance as is with quest destinations. Quest direction markers are not showing up.

I'm going to see if I can fix these issues. If not, wipe and reinstall. No hair off my back. Done it many times before. :p

like this
I had everything great on my end until I made the mistake of updating those three mods I quoted... I'll just start uninstalling I guess. I thought those were safe updates and I did those installs in the order you suggested.

AceGoober

I screwed up updating this somehow. This is what I'm getting. Where did I go wrong?

View attachment 5977

^^ AceGoober

I fixed this!

It's DEF UI.

I did everything right but there is one catch.

On DEF UI install this is mandatory:

Customizing HUD
------------------------
The default installation above will install a vanilla HUD configuration. You can also download presets that other users
have customized and published on the Nexus. If you would like to customize your HUD:
1) Open your game Data folder and navigate to Data\interface
2) Run HUDMenuSet.exe
3) Customize your HUD settings. Instructions are located within the utility.
4) Once you are done customizing, press CTRL+S and save the file as Data\interface\DEF_CONF\DEF_HUD.xml
5) Exit the program and play the game.

Customizing INV Options
------------------------
The default installation above will install the standard DEF_INV options. If you wish to customize DEF_INV behavior (ie.
tag/icon replacement, font size, etc):
1) Open your game Data folder and navigate to Data\interface
2) Run Settings.exe
3) Customize your INV options.
4) Once you are done customizing, press CTRL+S and save the file as Data\interface\DEF_CONF\DEF_INV.xml
5) Exit the program and play the game.

Here is the catch: When you do these, the .xml files might save in Data\Interface instead.

If they do, simply move them to what he says in the instructions here and you are good to go. :)

EDIT: Now I need to fix my workshop menu yet again...

Tutorial - Adding custom workshop categories with scripts at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community

People say use universal menu fixer.

It works!

Last edited:
I think I am level 11 now in this game. Quests are somewhat interesting. However, I feel threatened actually going out in the wild. Unlike FO3 and FONV where after level 5 or so there was little to no threat, in this one, I actually feel tense.
Not bad. Are there multiple maps to the game or is it just one map. The current starting map I am on, seems a bit small for a Fallout game.

Another stupid question. Where do I find concrete. I need to put up water in the starting area but can never seem to find concrete and rubber.

KickAssCop

Currently, the only other map is the Far Harbor DLC. Nuka World is to be released in August it seems it may add another map though that is unclear to me at this time.

Scrap broken houses, cinder blocks or buy concrete from various vendors. Here's the WiKi page with locations. Scrap tires and toys to get rubber.

Q-BZ

Use one or the other. I prefer to use the All DLC Building independent patch since it places every DLC in their own menu instead of being mixed-in with the main menu. When Nuka World is released, any items it adds will be in that menu.

like this
I think I am level 11 now in this game. Quests are somewhat interesting. However, I feel threatened actually going out in the wild. Unlike FO3 and FONV where after level 5 or so there was little to no threat, in this one, I actually feel tense.
Not bad. Are there multiple maps to the game or is it just one map. The current starting map I am on, seems a bit small for a Fallout game.

Another stupid question. Where do I find concrete. I need to put up water in the starting area but can never seem to find concrete and rubber.

The main map is the only map until you hit Far Harbor, then that is it's own map. For concrete scrap all the houses in sanctuary, there's also a bag of concrete next to the workstation you can scrap. If you need more you can buy bags of 50 at Abernathy farms. First thing I do in a new game is scrap ALL of sanctuary, I've never had an issue with concrete early game. Kickballs, basketballs, extinguishers, plunger, baby bottle - they all have rubber and some are available in sanctuary.

Bethesda.net

Fallout 4 1.7 Update live on PC, Xbox One and PS4 coming soon (Updated)
  • Bethesda Game Studios
  • August 2, 2016

(Updated 08/04/16)

The 1.7 Update is live for everyone on Steam today. Xbox One and PS4 will go live in coming weeks.

NEW FEATURES

• Support for Nuka-World
  • New store art type for Workshop settlements
  • Ability to delete Add Ons without doing a full uninstall (PS4)
FIXES

• General optimization and stability improvements
  • Jun and Marcy Long are no longer essential after completing "Sanctuary"
  • Vendors can offer large shipments of Ceramic, Copper, Rubber, Steel and Wood
  • Improvements to accuracy and control with picking up and placing objects (not Workshop mode)
  • Grenades and molotov cocktails can now be used with the Junk Mortar (Contraptions)
  • Fixed issue with companions unequipping clothing when fast traveling with player
  • Fixed an issue with player animations not loading properly after reloading a saved game
  • Fixed issue where certain dog armors would not equip properly on Dogmeat
  • Fixed an issue where objects from Add Ons would not scrap correctly or would not be stored properly
  • Fixed infinite load that would occasionally occur while logging off while downloading a mod
  • Fixed a crash related to investing in a store while trading
  • Fixed issue where "Quartermastery" would send player to erroneous locations
  • Fixed performance issues related to dropping certain weapons
  • Fixed issue where melee weapon would not properly after dying and reloading the save
  • Fixed a rare issue where Sturges and Mama Murphy would stop moving
  • Fixed snapping issue with Surgery Center in Workshop mode
MODS FIXES

• Fixed issue where Mods images would stop displayed while scrolling through Mods menu
  • Disable All Mods now works properly when offline
  • NPCs that are changed in a Mod will update changes like hairstyles properly
  • Fixed animation error related to NPCs changed in Mods who have died, and reloading the save without the Mod activated
  • Fixed issue where sneaking would turn player invisible while running with Mods
  • Localization strings moved to Interface archive
  • Minor UI improvements to Mods menu and Mods Detail menus

Right?

I would have figured some of our regulars in here would have blown us away with underground metropolises and who knows what else? ;)

Sorry, been busy turning Starlight Drive In into the finest arena/Soylent Green factory in the Commonwealth.... You'd think the Gunners would get the idea to stay away, but no.........

Was going to return to play this game, then easily remembered why I stopped to play and why I hate it sometimes.. and it's the stupid loading screens, specially in the financial district where one have to enter/exit several times from buildings.. certainly I can not hate it enough.. =)..

Was going to return to play this game, then easily remembered why I stopped to play and why I hate it sometimes.. and it's the stupid loading screens, specially in the financial district where one have to enter/exit several times from buildings.. certainly I can not hate it enough.. =)..

Install it on an SSD. That's one of the reasons why I don't have HDD's anymore, way too slow even for games.

Install it on an SSD. That's one of the reasons why I don't have HDD's anymore, way too slow even for games.

I don't want to derail this thread but this is an opening for something I'm likely going to be forced to do.

Long/short: I have an SSD for OS and programs. That's Drive 1.

Drive 2 is a newer Western Digital Black "normal" hard drive for storage.

Drive 3 is an older version of the same thing that I'm starting to have concerns about and am getting ready to get away from it. My steam install and the bulk of my games... including Fallout 4... are on here although some of the games have been installed on Drive 2. Steam lets you split your game libraries. Very handy.

Got all that?

What is the cleanest way for me to get everything on to Drive 2 (or even Drive 1) given all of that? Thanks to any and all who might answer this. I really don't want to create a nightmare for myself.

Ouch, that's gonna be rough, especially if you have a lot of mods. I'm not sure how NMM works now, but Mod Organizer would be fine with that since you can just change the target folder. NMM has virtual folders too, but I'm not sure if it works exactly the same.

That said, with Steam, I have no idea how to effectively move games. I usually don't have that many games installed and just uninstall/re-download onto a new drive.

like this

Even on SSD they are long.. it's really annoying... I think my Samsung 840 Pro is good enough, but even installed there you have 15+ secs load screens on some areas. much more worse is the experience with mods... I used to have over 160 mods on skyrim and it wasn't anywhere close to FO4, Loading screens were still instant..

Even on SSD they are long.. it's really annoying... I think my Samsung 840 Pro is good enough, but even installed there you have 15+ secs load screens on some areas. much more worse is the experience with mods... I used to have over 160 mods on skyrim and it wasn't anywhere close to FO4, Loading screens were still instant..

That sounds awesome.

Believe me, on my regular hard drive that I have F4 on currently I would do cartwheels in the street to see 30 seconds or less. With a couple of dozen mods I can go to 2-3 minutes on initial loads after I load up a save on my "normal" Western Digital hard drive.

Skyrim was roughly comparable.

If I loaded it up in 15 seconds I'd be doing cartwheels in the street.

That sounds awesome.

Believe me, on my regular hard drive that I have F4 on currently I would do cartwheels in the street to see 30 seconds or less. With a couple of dozen mods I can go to 2-3 minutes on initial loads after I load up a save on my "normal" Western Digital hard drive.

Skyrim was roughly comparable.

If I loaded it up in 15 seconds I'd be doing cartwheels in the street.

It was for me the same way in my first installation on the HDD, the game was new I never knew about the ridiculously long load screens the game was fine at the start through the first missions.. but as soon as you go to dense areas load screens were over 1 and half minute.. damn, immediately installed on SSD but still in those areas load screens go beyond 15secs specially with mods which is insane for a 2015-2016 game.. it make really annoying where you have to go inside and outside several times, for me it's a game breaking as I get bored fast between load screens.

Skyrim was only the first load screen when opening up the game, then everything else on SSD was instant..

like this
It was for me the same way in my first installation on the HDD, the game was new I never knew about the ridiculously long load screens the game was fine at the start through the first missions.. but as soon as you go to dense areas load screens were over 1 and half minute.. damn, immediately installed on SSD but still in those areas load screens go beyond 15secs specially with mods which is insane for a 2015-2016 game.. it make really annoying where you have to go inside and outside several times, for me it's a game breaking as I get bored fast between load screens.

Skyrim was only the first load screen when opening up the game, then everything else on SSD was instant..

I agree, I'm in the same boat. Have it installed on a Patriot Blast 240GB and the load times are really long. I find myself not wanting to enter buildings or go outside because of it. I've played the hell out of Skyrim and dont ever remember it taking this long to load , even with 50+ mods installed. Fallout 4 is junk.

As soon as F4SE supports the latest patch (1.7.12) then I'll be able to get back to playing FO4 and maybe showing-off my incomplete vault. :p

like this
Hopefully I'm doing this right.....
8EE98D419E632B84C296BB8BFCB0608E15C3021A

Yes, Piper is literally knee deep in the dead once we get all the pieces gathered up. So let's take the lift up to the top.
E9C9689F9CAEBCD95E301BE8DA44422BAA2B4536

You'll notice that already a few bodies and body parts are already on the conveyor belt. Where are they going outside the arena?
905063552AB8B1EE1665543979BFFDFE02727155

What the hell is this thing?
D052D9F584FAD2B9B09C17A709D8A4D30EBFE6CB

Corpse goes in.....
89709E77025EB5E4862B14ECFB5D19CBEA561E77

Oh my.....
551F08BC701570FA1E451336515E9693D22CFEA7

ECB7EE63CAC25DCAAEE366C8528EB728643A8DB9

Now where is this going?
B93026DCB27340BEB0D694D9AF1967B5E8D20A43

Add a little water and some steel.....
6104B6153225381898CE9FE078DBF220096945C0

And the Commonwealth's hunger issues are resolved!

But what about the rest of the dead gunners? Wouldn't you think that this is awful wasteful? Absolutely! Which is why the factory has another process. Where does the rest go?

There go the bones, but to where?
F31AF81A5C8364E3C4988C466FC3DB8ACC2D4D5D

Into the compactor with ye!
AEE712D227AA3DADF4AC339E6145D9E08CD61FFE

Starlight Cinema - Where you bones get compressed into little blocks!
65F1E946591B8F4B7FA3458C69EFD85CDF62234C

Now, let's follow them little blocks to their next stage....
6594D73C1FB8C639F508C5000FFA8C2DAEDBA8CE

Oh no, not again. What horrific fate awaits the remains of the dead?
3CC6E0A9C2E6326C5CEB4E4BEBEC8CF777BB0232

89C80D9C873388035F4779C290582681B295FFB6

That's right folks, not only does Starlight Drive In feed the Commonwealth, we also supply glue! And I thought horses have it bad.

Now, there's some limitations that doesn't allow the recyclers to break down weapons and armor yet, but there are segments waiting for the modders to fix these issues, but the hope is that eventually, Starlight will make food, glue, clothing and weapons from Gunners and their equipment.

You'll need the Contraptions DLC and these mods to create your own Soylent Green factory:

Manufacturing Extended at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community
Soylent Green - Add-on for Manufacturing Extended at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community

screenshots

What is the cleanest way for me to get everything on to Drive 2 (or even Drive 1) given all of that? Thanks to any and all who might answer this. I really don't want to create a nightmare for myself.

In short - an immediate method of doing this is to use NTFS Junction Points
NTFS junction point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a very simple method to allow you to redirect directories. I've used it many times to move things around my computer or you could use junction points to create a single directory structure, with content distributed around various media - and stuff like that.
Obviously it's sometimes not the best long term solution, but you can clean things up and/or move things around again as and when your hardware changes.

In short - an immediate method of doing this is to use NTFS Junction Points
NTFS junction point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a very simple method to allow you to redirect directories. I've used it many times to move things around my computer or you could use junction points to create a single directory structure, with content distributed around various media - and stuff like that.
Obviously it's sometimes not the best long term solution, but you can clean things up and/or move things around again as and when your hardware changes.

Wouldn't it just be easier to set up a steam library on the other drive and tell steam to install the files there instead?

Looks great! August 30th here I come.

Man.. I have really enjoyed this game!

Wouldn't it just be easier to set up a steam library on the other drive and tell steam to install the files there instead?

Not really.
They're different approaches to the same end result.
Using junction points allows me for example to move an installed steam game right now, without having to do anything else at all other than move the directories and create the junction point. I'm moving the data at the file system level and it means I don't need to do anything at all within steam.
i.e. I can move an already installed game (and redirect its location using a junction point) and there's no re-installation or anything else required.
Basically I'm a "horses for courses" kind of person. I'm not saying my method is better than your suggestion - just it's another option and it's a very simple one, that is easy to implement and doesn't require anything else.
Use whatever method you think is most appropriate in your own situation :)

Not really.
They're different approaches to the same end result.
Using junction points allows me for example to move an installed steam game right now, without having to do anything else at all other than move the directories and create the junction point. I'm moving the data at the file system level and it means I don't need to do anything at all within steam.
i.e. I can move an already installed game (and redirect its location using a junction point) and there's no re-installation or anything else required.
Basically I'm a "horses for courses" kind of person. I'm not saying my method is better than your suggestion - just it's another option and it's a very simple one, that is easy to implement and doesn't require anything else.
Use whatever method you think is most appropriate in your own situation :)

You can use the Steam Backup function, then delete the game then restore it. You don't need to download it again. But I fully admit I'm lazy and I'd just download the entire thing again... Did I mention I have fiber to the home? It really affects the way you think about downloading things from Steam.

I'm not saying your approach is bad, it isn't. But you do have to be careful using junction points because Windows Explorer and a lot of other tools don't treat them properly. It's fully possible to delete files off of one drive when trying to delete them from another. I've accidentally done a few stupid things with them in the past. I'm a KISS type of person, less things to potentially go wrong.

You can use the Steam Backup function, then delete the game then restore it. You don't need to download it again. But I fully admit I'm lazy and I'd just download the entire thing again... Did I mention I have fiber to the home? It really affects the way you think about downloading things from Steam.
I'm not saying your approach is bad, it isn't. But you do have to be careful using junction points because Windows Explorer and a lot of other tools don't treat them properly. It's fully possible to delete files off of one drive when trying to delete them from another. I've accidentally done a few stupid things with them in
the past. I'm a KISS type of person, less things to potentially go wrong.

All correct.
I could use that steam backup feature - or I could use a junction point and do the whole thing as fast as I can move the directory involved.
Personal preference really.
I don't have fibre at home yet (it's in progress at the moment) - but agreed - internet bandwidth changes your perspective and approach in a lot of scenarios.
The being careful part... I also agree - but from my angle that's a user issue and I'm quite comfortable doing things that most users wouldn't.
I do appreciate my methods don't necessarily suit anyone else.
For me - Junction points are the most simple, easy solution - so again - it depends on your perspective.

Enjoy the game anyway - I'm intentionally taking my time in FO4 - and I'm looking forward to Nuka World when it's released :)

Played the Nuka World Beta and I'm impressed with it. I won't give any spoilers but if you don't have it I recommend Nuka World DLC.

One important piece of info: When Nuka World is released, before playing, check your HUD mods for updates as the current versions are incompatible and will cause CTD.

like this
Nuka World looks crazy I think they strike a balance between a theme park and Radiation but not sure if I would want to spend time in a videogame to play it. I like Automatron but haven't played the last two DLCs from lack of interest.

Nuka World looks crazy I think they strike a balance between a theme park and Radiation but not sure if I would want to spend time in a videogame to play it. I like Automatron but haven't played the last two DLCs from lack of interest.

Awesome!
I haven't bothered much with the workshop DLCs, but I really liked the Automatron DLC and Far Harbor. There's definite perks to the Automatron one (I've now got a seriously bad ass robot companion) and Far Harbor has some fun plot options and things to do (esp. if you're evil)...
Looks like I'll have plenty more killin' to do when Nuka World downloads :)

Back