Fallout 4

Yeah I think I'm level 91, and I just went to see Nick Valentine, finally like 2 days ago. I haven't been back to brotherhood of steel yet, because I couldn't remember at which point you get locked into a faction. But I am pretty sure it's a little past that. I want to get all of the Radio and side missions, and DLC done, and as many companions at max/romanced as I can, before I try all of the endings. Build up all of the settlements. Make a master save point I can go back to.
So far I have Ada, McCready, Cait, Gage, Codsworth, Strong, Deacon, Hancock, Preston all maxed and romanced if possible, working on Nick right now and he's pretty far along, gave me a quest for the Eddie Winters Holotapes last night before bed. And I had already found 6 just exploring.

After having been replaying the game for about a month now, there is one thing I really wish the inventory system could do. Highlight or sort to the top, recently picked up items. At least three times I've been fast clicking the pickup item button, and miss a note or holotapes name before it get's sucked into my inventory. Then I have to go look for 5 minutes at the long list of misc.. "what looks new?" and twice I had to simply just save the damn game, load an older save, run to the spot just to get the item name, then reload the save and go read or listen to it... ugh. Or it could have an 'Unread' list alongside the "Weapons" "Apparel" etc buckets.

That and the slow load times coming out of buildings are only annoyances I have.

Last edited:
I've barely messed with my various companions. I have all of 'em except Deacon and X6, but have mainly stuck with Ada nearly the whole time. I sent the rest to Sanctuary. Ada = no judgement on any decisions, carries a ton of weight, and packs a ton of firepower when upgraded.

I've barely messed with my various companions. I have all of 'em except Deacon and X6, but have mainly stuck with Ada nearly the whole time. I sent the rest to Sanctuary. Ada = no judgement on any decisions, carries a ton of weight, and packs a ton of firepower when upgraded.
Yeah Ada was the best in combat by far... I decided to put her on a supply route, because I couldn't remember if they can be killed or not by Raiders... Now, I generally don't think they can be. But I always help them when I see Raiders attacking caravans, outfit them in vault suits and armor, and a decent weapon + ammo + stimpacks. I wish I could see a map of all of the Caravan links.. I did them kind of half-hazard this time. I think by First playthru I sent all of them out from the DriveIn location, 1 per settlement, and it worked well. Now if I go to a small settlement and it has too many people, I was assigning some to be Caravans... There really needs to be a way to reassign those, and to see existing links. I also stuck that Radio personality lady on a caravan too...

Last edited:
Yeah Ada was the best in combat by far... I decided to put her on a supply route, because I couldn't remember if they can be killed or not by Raiders... Now, I generally don't think they can be. But I always help them when I see Raiders attacking caravans. I wish I could see a map of all of the Caravan links.. I did them kind of half-hazard this time. I think by First playthru I sent all of them out from the DriveIn location, 1 per settlement, and it worked well. Now if I go to a small settlement and it has too many people, I was assigning some to be Caravans... There really needs to be a way to reassign those. I also stuck that Radio personality lady on a caravan too...

I would suggest anyone route their caravans around the outer settlements and working inwards a swirl type fashion. I personally use this method as I view it as the most effective routes the caravans can take.

There have been other players who have done the North to South up and down the entire map but it is, in my opinion from a strategic standpoint, adding time to caravan travels increasing the likelihood of them being attacked.

Best routing for caravans IMO is simply the shortest distance between two settlements, similar to:
cf508c4c6af2ad31cc3e1c066eb26449.jpg

(Just add in Vault 88 to Jamaica Plain. Probably also Murkwater to JP instead.)

Arm/outfit the caravan well enough (or build a well-armed robot), then no issues with raiders/etc.

Finally installed the old GoG v1.10.163.0 this afternoon....

Only installed the Unofficial Patch, Vivid Fallout, and Cheat Terminal (because I'm lazy and don't wanna craft/look for various scrap)

SUCKS that Wabbajack doesn't support the GoG version, or I'd reinstall Welcome to Paradise - Why I decided to uninstall it like a month before the Next Gen patch.... I can't recall SMH

- But yea, after watching the show and seeing this thread blow up, it seemed like it was "that time" and with the 3070 I can enjoy 4K at a rock-solid 60fps via Moonlight streaming in the bedroom (y)

Do the materials only flow in 1 direction tho?

No, all that matters is the link. The arrows only represent where the caravaner is recruited and to which other settlement they're linked to. Though that doesn't really matter, you could instead, for instance, also recruit one at Red Rocket to go to Sanctuary. You just don't want too many out of one settlement otherwise you might hit the settler cap and not have some available for other jobs.

I like the idea of that loop, because a successful attack on one segment won't break access to any materials from any settlement. Only problem is, IIRC, that in game the routes actually go over land (Spectacle Island and link off to Far Harbor being exceptions). That would mean that in reality the route between The Castle to the Airport has to go west through S. Boston to near Vault 88, up through downtown, Past Bunker Hill and Country Crossing, and then back down the peninsula. That's a lot of ground for a single link to cover that passes a lot of threats.

Last edited:
I haven't done any of the caravan stuff. Hell, I don't even know how :p Luckily I have a boatload of supplies. I took the perks that let me fast travel and move normally when encumbered, so I can just pick up everything in sight now. I finally found an item for my right arm that boosts 2 stats, too. Oddly you need lockpick 2 to upgrade it. Never run into anything like that before. Now I just need something decent for my right leg.

Over the weekend I plowed through the Railroad stuff and the first couple Institute quests. With all the people in that compound, I figure there should be a pile of quests to keep me busy. Pretty sure I didn't do much of anything in there on my first pass through the game 6 years ago. At least minus anything required. Seems like everything is starting to build for a confrontation and I'm not quite ready for that yet.

I might go bobblehead and magazine hunting. I think I have all but 3 bobbleheads (per my display) and I'm just about to fill my 4th magazine rack. Oddly, my leveling up has slowed down a ton, though. Once I got to 65'ish, it's been slow going. Those railroad quests and saving settlement missions aren't adding much.

I can't find the silver shroud radio station. I found the old studio and picked up the hat and costume, I know someone wants them but can't remember where the station is. I have explored all of the tall buildings in the area where the station comes in. well I think I have. But haven't found it.

Doing Far Harbor now. Question, on the way to Acadia the child of atom lady asked me to join. I said "Sure" but want to know if there are any consequences of saying that. I'm fine with killing them all, they are psycho. Any reason not to?

I can't find the silver shroud radio station. I found the old studio and picked up the hat and costume, I know someone wants them but can't remember where the station is. I have explored all of the tall buildings in the area where the station comes in. well I think I have. But haven't found it.

Doing Far Harbor now. Question, on the way to Acadia the child of atom lady asked me to join. I said "Sure" but want to know if there are any consequences of saying that. I'm fine with killing them all, they are psycho. Any reason not to?
The quest line for the children of Atom is really good and you can get all kinds of good gear from it, stay with it till the end and do everything they say. You can get a few recipes that are worth while as well. Rad resistance will play a part in the quest line. ;)

That's all I'm going to tell you, the Shroud quest line you picked up from Kent in Goodneighbor (the Memory den.)

The Silver Shroud quest is in Goodneighbor. I think you just have to tune into the radio station, but if that doesn't work - talk to the ghoul in the little room on the right side of the memory den. It's one of the better and more memorable side quests.

With Far Harbor, there are 3 factions and you probably just "joined" the first one. You'll end up working with all 3, so you didn't do anything wrong. You'll get plenty of opportunities to work for (or against) all of 'em.

The Silver Shroud quest is in Goodneighbor. I think you just have to tune into the radio station, but if that doesn't work - talk to the ghoul in the little room on the right side of the memory den. It's one of the better and more memorable side quests.

With Far Harbor, there are 3 factions and you probably just "joined" the first one. You'll end up working with all 3, so you didn't do anything wrong. You'll get plenty of opportunities to work for (or against) all of 'em.

Also to add, depending on what choices the player makes, there are base 3 outcomes with 3 additional outcomes afterwards if the player decides to be an asshole.

Like I did. Once. :D

Fallout (all of 'em) does a pretty good job of making most factions have a pretty obvious downside. It makes choosing their opposition easier, but it also makes choosing a side more challenging. I don't know if I've ever felt 100% on board with anyone in any Fallout game.

I think I'm getting close to the point of no return as far as factions go. I'm not necessarily at the end of the main story, but seemingly every quest people throw at me will piss one of the others off. Is there a particularly good questline I should look out for in the Institute or Brotherhood that keeps the peace? Or do I just need to roll with having one (or more) of them mad at me from this point forward?
I think I've done all the rando fetch quests and whatnot with each.

I think I'm getting close to the point of no return as far as factions go. I'm not necessarily at the end of the main story, but seemingly every quest people throw at me will piss one of the others off. Is there a particularly good questline I should look out for in the Institute or Brotherhood that keeps the peace? Or do I just need to roll with having one (or more) of them mad at me from this point forward?
I think I've done all the rando fetch quests and whatnot with each.
Fuck The Institute, is what I say. Brotherhood of Steel is the most fun faction to side with, but the Minutemen is ultimately the one that will keep the peace the best. You want to get banned by The Institute to get The Railroad and Minutemen friendly. Or, you can proceed through the BoS questline up to when your asked to destroy The Railroad. At that point, proceed with The Institute up to a quest called Mass Fusion, start the quest, leave, and tell Maxson about it. This skips the rest of the BoS questline as far as I'm aware, though, but you can still do side quests for them. I guess the Minutemen ending is considered canon.

Mass Fusion is pretty much right where I am. I kinda think all of the factions are tools (typical Fallout), so I'm not really concerned with who wins or not. At this point I think I'm mainly just looking to elongate the experience a bit more. After putting in 100+ hours into wandering the wastes, it kinda feels like a rush to the end now that I'm doing the plot missions.

Mass Fusion is pretty much right where I am. I kinda think all of the factions are tools (typical Fallout), so I'm not really concerned with who wins or not. At this point I think I'm mainly just looking to elongate the experience a bit more. After putting in 100+ hours into wandering the wastes, it kinda feels like a rush to the end now that I'm doing the plot missions.
I wouldn't worry about it, then. I would just pick the faction that you find the least insufferable and go with that one to the end.

I wouldn't worry about it, then. I would just pick the faction that you find the least insufferable and go with that one to the end.
This.
Endgame wise, the BoS is my favorite to keep around since I tend to do a lot of the player made DLC's that contain BoS quest lines and new lands from the Nexus, so being Sentinel in the BoS helps you out extremely well having access to the Prydwen. Brotherhood of Gold is a good mod that plays out well with the BoS.

Just remember, before you take out the Institute, there is a magazine there that you only get while it's in one piece.

As for the Minutemen, they offer nothing in the scheme of things besides needing your help. I hate Preston.
I Always get the mod that has Preston as a undercover agent for the Enclave and it makes it possible for you to kill him. Feels so good.

The Railroad only have one thing that interests me and that's the recipe for ballistic weave, and you can get that and still destroy them.

Ultimately you can't really make a bad decision, it just all depends on what ending that you want and your endgame plans if any.

I suppose I'll just rip that band-aid off over the weekend. I don't think I've missed any major side story plotlines (Cabot House, the Big Dig, and such) so it's probably time to just roll toward the end of the line. I don't even remember who I chose 6 years ago, so it's all fresh to me. I have to admit I'm a little bummed how short the core story of the game is, though.

Without giving too much away...

There is a path to take which results in Minutemen bombing the Brotherhood airport.

There is also a path to only destroy the institute and keep the rest of the factions around. If I remember right you can still do that if you haven't pissed them off already and haven't done mass fusion. I almost always take that route because I like having all the factions active.

I only had one playthrough on release and never touched any of the DLC, saw that CDkeys has the GOTY edition for <$10 so I decided to hop in for another go nearly 10 years later. Not sure what this update was supposed to improve upon but thus far I'm seeing none of it, still a buggy mess, maybe even worse so. I've got two quests where the next step is "Talk to X", and when I do no dialogue options open up, one of them is stuck in the floor so that makes sense, the other is out and about like normal. Still having a better time than I had in Starfield though.

I only had one playthrough on release and never touched any of the DLC, saw that CDkeys has the GOTY edition for <$10 so I decided to hop in for another go nearly 10 years later. Not sure what this update was supposed to improve upon but thus far I'm seeing none of it, still a buggy mess, maybe even worse so. I've got two quests where the next step is "Talk to X", and when I do no dialogue options open up, one of them is stuck in the floor so that makes sense, the other is out and about like normal. Still having a better time than I had in Starfield though.

I think the update was mostly to get the console versions up to snuff with the newer hardware. Bethesda's philosophy with PC support tends to be "they'll fix that with mods and console commands, so why bother?"
I've had plenty of bugs in both of my playthroughs. Not quite launch day Elder Scrolls level bugs, but still a bunch. The fact that you can still get stuck not being able to enter power armor or a console in tight spaces is pretty telling.

Welp, I hit the end of the line. I sided with the Minutemen and the final missions were just as short as the main story. Pretty sure I did the BoS finale last time. There isn't much else to do in Fallout 4, so I think I'll fire up 76 and see what's changed over the last few years. I think I was around level 100 with a pretty sweet compound. I recall them nerfing the hell out of power armor/cores before I bailed though. I figure if things seem too weird I might just totally start over.

Back