• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

F.E.A.R SP Demo

This game reminds me a lot of Riddick, but since this guy's not Vin Diesel, sneaking in the shadows did nothing. The graphics are amazing and it runs very smooth on my system 800x600, but I agree with the other poster that stopped playing after dying. I got killed by those guys in the helicopter, but I didn't really feel compelled to continue. Maybe I'm just tired of fps games.
 
rm19 said:
This game reminds me a lot of Riddick, but since this guy's not Vin Diesel, sneaking in the shadows did nothing. The graphics are amazing and it runs very smooth on my system 800x600, but I agree with the other poster that stopped playing after dying. I got killed by those guys in the helicopter, but I didn't really feel compelled to continue. Maybe I'm just tired of fps games.

It reminds me of Riddick too, considering it has awesome graphics with out of place models. (IE weapons look like shit and dont feel right..)
 
Got off of work at 9:30pm (my 2 hours turned into 7, I hate people that can't do there own work), came home and went through my email....started the demo download at 11:33pm....and I am still downloading.

:(

I am tired, I have a reception to go to tomorrow, a bar-b-que after that, and I have to fix my fathers computer that he, in his words..."I think I broke a part", and I have the Indy/Atlanta game DVR'ing on the live showing. So I won't get to the demo til Sunday at best.

I am tired too, I think I will just head to bed and dream a sweet dream.
 
Running FEAR okay at 1024x768 4xFSAA 8XAF all maxed out. A little choppy though, which is disappointing, since HL2 will do the same at 1600x1200 on this rig. Methinks it's time to upgrade (But I'm really just waiting for Civ 4...). BF2 has similiar porblems - it might be my interwebs connection though.

HL2 remains the high water-mark for PC Hardware v. Performance. What that engine can do...makes it all worth it. FEAR, to me, seems like the old school Monolith games that forced you into an upgrade due to shoddy optimization or fat code, i.e. SHOGO.

I'm talking out my butt...I can't stand the fact that I haven't upgraded my machine 'cause there hasn't been the killer app since HL2, then HW2 before that. Is it my taste in games or is that the state of PC Gaming? What did I miss in between?
 
sfuller said:
I'm talking out my butt...I can't stand the fact that I haven't upgraded my machine 'cause there hasn't been the killer app since HL2, then HW2 before that. Is it my taste in games or is that the state of PC Gaming? What did I miss in between?

You didn't miss anything...this is the current state of PC gaming. We're forced to upgrade because of lazy developers. I can't wait till X360 comes out....just a couple more months. Maybe when 360 starts sucking, PC gaming will start to pick up.
 
sfuller said:
Running FEAR okay at 1024x768 4xFSAA 8XAF all maxed out. A little choppy though, which is disappointing, since HL2 will do the same at 1600x1200 on this rig. Methinks it's time to upgrade (But I'm really just waiting for Civ 4...). BF2 has similiar porblems - it might be my interwebs connection though.

HL2 remains the high water-mark for PC Hardware v. Performance. What that engine can do...makes it all worth it. FEAR, to me, seems like the old school Monolith games that forced you into an upgrade due to shoddy optimization or fat code, i.e. SHOGO.

I'm talking out my butt...I can't stand the fact that I haven't upgraded my machine 'cause there hasn't been the killer app since HL2, then HW2 before that. Is it my taste in games or is that the state of PC Gaming? What did I miss in between?
choppiness as in stuttering and pausing? try getting more RAM. upgrading to 1.5GB made a huge difference for me in BF2 over 1GB, and i don't get any stuttering in FEAR either.

edit: what settings are 6600GT users using? it's unplayable for me with all settings maxed out at 1024x768... the framerate usually stays in the mid-10's and occasionally even goes below that. the auto-detect settings are okay, with the fps usually above 30.
 
erorr404 said:
choppiness as in stuttering and pausing? try getting more RAM. upgrading to 1.5GB made a huge difference for me in BF2 over 1GB, and i don't get any stuttering in FEAR either.

Yep, like BF2, I see this game depending on alot of RAM. More you got, the better. I know this is a tip for every game. But BF2 requires so much, and so will this game I think. I have 1.5 gigs, and I think its the only thing keeping me from running it so smooth without going to low settings.
 
The game wont even start for me, I downloaded from yahoo. It just goes to the first screen that says "FEAR demo" and nothing happens and I have to restart my computer, specs in sig.
 
The game works great for me with settings all at maximum at 1280x960. I CAN NOT wait until this game comes out after playing this demo, definately going to buy it.
 
erorr404 said:
edit: what settings are 6600GT users using? it's unplayable for me with all settings maxed out at 1024x768... the framerate usually stays in the mid-10's and occasionally even goes below that. the auto-detect settings are okay, with the fps usually above 30.

1024x768 everything on high except textures and soft shadows, 8xAF, no AA. Very smooth all the time. Kick no the AA however and performance gets hit pretty hard.

-wil
 
sfuller said:
Running FEAR okay at 1024x768 4xFSAA 8XAF all maxed out. A little choppy though, which is disappointing, since HL2 will do the same at 1600x1200 on this rig. Methinks it's time to upgrade (But I'm really just waiting for Civ 4...). BF2 has similiar porblems - it might be my interwebs connection though.

HL2 remains the high water-mark for PC Hardware v. Performance. What that engine can do...makes it all worth it. FEAR, to me, seems like the old school Monolith games that forced you into an upgrade due to shoddy optimization or fat code, i.e. SHOGO.

I'm talking out my butt...I can't stand the fact that I haven't upgraded my machine 'cause there hasn't been the killer app since HL2, then HW2 before that. Is it my taste in games or is that the state of PC Gaming? What did I miss in between?


SHOGO kicked ass, dont knock shogo! :mad:
 
erorr404 said:
choppiness as in stuttering and pausing? try getting more RAM. upgrading to 1.5GB made a huge difference for me in BF2 over 1GB, and i don't get any stuttering in FEAR either.

edit: what settings are 6600GT users using? it's unplayable for me with all settings maxed out at 1024x768... the framerate usually stays in the mid-10's and occasionally even goes below that. the auto-detect settings are okay, with the fps usually above 30.


I'd recommend turning off shadows completely. They have some really poorly optimized shadow code. Especially with your CPU.
 
Cabezone said:
I'd recommend turning off shadows completely. They have some really poorly optimized shadow code. Especially with your CPU.
looks like i need to update my sig. right now i have a 2.8E @ 3.22 GHz. thanks for the heads up.
i'll mess around with the FEAR settings tommorrow.
 
with whats in my sig,

1280x960 with 8xAF, max everything

runs like butter, will go higher....

I think the 2gig helps, that and the 7800 :)
 
Runs great for me at 1280x960 (Or whatever that res is). I dont get any FPS drops (except for the two spots in the game where it bugs out on you and drops your FPS, you need to change your res and then your FPS jumps back up). I also get a 2 second stutter sometimes when i turn a corner or enter a new area. Other then that though, no real problems. More ram would probably get rid of the pausing/stuttering.
 
saturnine2 said:
I just played through the demo, and was not impressed to say the least.

*Now waiting on STALKER to be a great game...


yea enjoy waiting into 2006, its DNF only worse because its constantly renewed delayed.

HurtMeP1nty007 said:
The slow motion mode is seriously awesome.....
I am still in awe over it


they carried it over into multiplayer
 
Its totally Riddick meets the X-Files. Pretty fun, but I could see the single player getting old as quickly as Doom3 did.

The helicopter guys were easy to beat. Just chuck a grenade at them while they repel down the rope then use the shotgun to mop up any survivors.
 
Well, to my great surprise, i just ran everything maxxed out (except sof shadows off) at 1680*1050 and it was more then playable. Now that was some goodness.
 
Jason711 said:
SHOGO kicked ass, dont knock shogo! :mad:

I knew it when I said it. SHOGO was cool but the engine it had was bloated. Not that I could do any better, I can't even add a tip at a resturant. Can we settle on Hl2's engine to be the best yet, a far as hardware/performance?

It's the only newer game I can think of that runs, out the box (or over steam), at 1600x1200 all tricked out, smoof, and with impressive effects. I'm buying more ram at the egg right now.
 
I played a little this morning, at least I think I did.

Cause with a FX5200....it is a jaggy-chop fest at 800x600. *puke*

I'll wait until I get my 6600GT in.

To the guy that said his froze at the screen that says demo....I thought mine did the same thing, cause it just sat there and I couldn't to anything---not even ALT-TAB out----but then blew-blam!...it just went to the menu screen. That was after 4 minutes.
 
pigwalk said:
1024x768 everything on high except textures and soft shadows, 8xAF, no AA. Very smooth all the time. Kick no the AA however and performance gets hit pretty hard.

-wil

thats what im running too, once in awhile ill get a slowdown, but other than that it runs kick ass. i love the feeling of this game, cant wait for it to come out, i just hope that it actually has a story to it.
 
SilverMK3 said:
Its totally Riddick meets the X-Files. Pretty fun, but I could see the single player getting old as quickly as Doom3 did.

The helicopter guys were easy to beat. Just chuck a grenade at them while they repel down the rope then use the shotgun to mop up any survivors.

just go slowmo with the sniper rifle... one shot kills...
 
I thought the game was AWESOME but man it brought my new PC to its knees. Playing 1600x1200 4xAA 8xAF gets into the teens in some spots. puke
 
ok, ill admit, i didnt read every reply in this thread. but for all the people complaining, just remember, this is only a demo. i repeat, ONLY A DEMO. the final release should run a lot smoother. i hope. i really enjoyed it. a little like hl2 w/better ai. much better ai, actually. i ran thru the opening few rooms a couple of times and each time the enemy reacted differntly. sometimes they wanted to fight, sometimes they wanted tea and crumpets... and then they wanted to fight. anyway, ill probably buy it, hopefully it wont be as boring as d3. dont get me wrong, d3:roe was fun, but monster closets are just cheating.... but the d3 enging looks fantastic.
 
lol, I just ran past that heavy armoured guy. I tossed my nades at him and he kept coming at me, so I ran.
 
Tiny said:
lol, I just ran past that heavy armoured guy. I tossed my nades at him and he kept coming at me, so I ran.


SPOILER

.
..

....


......

Anyone else run straight up to the last guy before the screen fades out and just try punching him in the face?

-wil
 
pigwalk said:
SPOILER

.
..

....


......

Anyone else run straight up to the last guy before the screen fades out and just try punching him in the face?

-wil


I did, but more like shooting him in the face
 
The game ran ok for me with 1152x864 and most things a medium or higher, I liked it it seemed like a streamlined D3, looked a bit better, nice AI, and makes you afraid to die.

Overall = pwnage
 
initial impression: WORST installer EVER.

yeah.

'enter birth date to continue' is not going to prevent someone who can do math from installing the game, it is just an annoyance. oh, i have to be 17? lets see... year = 1988. then you have to scroll to the bottom of the license agreement, to show you have 'read' it - doesn't matter how fast you scroll tho (i'm a speed reader)

then it forces you to reinstall dx9.0c. right, because the dx9.0c that i have on my computer already isn't new enough. i have to d/l another 30 mb for the dx9 redist package to reinstall it (and reboot, i might add) to install the freaking game. most games ask "do you want to install dx9 (required for game to run)" and leave it at that. but no, if you don't want to reinstall you can't play.

so far, not liking it. initial impressions go a long way...
 
rogue_jedi said:
initial impression: WORST installer EVER.

yeah.

'enter birth date to continue' is not going to prevent someone who can do math from installing the game, it is just an annoyance. oh, i have to be 17? lets see... year = 1988. then you have to scroll to the bottom of the license agreement, to show you have 'read' it - doesn't matter how fast you scroll tho (i'm a speed reader)

then it forces you to reinstall dx9.0c. right, because the dx9.0c that i have on my computer already isn't new enough. i have to d/l another 30 mb for the dx9 redist package to reinstall it (and reboot, i might add) to install the freaking game. most games ask "do you want to install dx9 (required for game to run)" and leave it at that. but no, if you don't want to reinstall you can't play.

so far, not liking it. initial impressions go a long way...

I would have to agree with you on this one. The installer was a joke. But the game was not a joke. Full version is going to rock.
 
rogue_jedi said:
initial impression: WORST installer EVER.

yeah.

'enter birth date to continue' is not going to prevent someone who can do math from installing the game, it is just an annoyance. oh, i have to be 17? lets see... year = 1988. then you have to scroll to the bottom of the license agreement, to show you have 'read' it - doesn't matter how fast you scroll tho (i'm a speed reader)

then it forces you to reinstall dx9.0c. right, because the dx9.0c that i have on my computer already isn't new enough. i have to d/l another 30 mb for the dx9 redist package to reinstall it (and reboot, i might add) to install the freaking game. most games ask "do you want to install dx9 (required for game to run)" and leave it at that. but no, if you don't want to reinstall you can't play.

so far, not liking it. initial impressions go a long way...


what are you talking about, it verifies that your computer has the most recent DX9.0C components, alot of games i'v played do this. They have to do age verification by law, and scrolling through the user agreement, again, not a new thing. It was a 2 minute install quit complaining.


"OMGZ I HAD TO SCROLL DOWN THAT I LOST A WHOLE 2 SECONDS OF MY LIFE!!!!! BASTARDS"
 
Impressions:
+ Great AI
+ Great damage model
+ Good particle effects
+ Great enemy placement
+ Looks good and performs much better with DX8 shaders


- Bloated installer
- Bland environment
- Generic sound effects
- Cheesy intro movie
- Really needs 1 gig of RAM for best shaders and textures


System:
MSI K8N Neo3-FSR Nforce4-4x S754
AMD Sempron 2600+ 1.6ghz @ 2.36ghz
Leadtek PX6200 w/6600 softmod @ 300/645
Fortron FSP300-60THN ATX 2.0 PSU
512MB Geil PC4000 @ 195mhz 3-3-3-11
 
i loved the guns, each was good - the pistol was decent and looked like a USP, but the aiming system could've improved - i'd like to see the actual sights. However, I wouldn't mind if they toned the physics down a little bit... but it's all good.
 
The sound when you run into a body was too loud. The first time it happened i kept thinking that there was another enemy somewhere. And the way the bodies moved when you ran into them was wierd. But other than that the physics were very good.
 
Cali3350 said:
Well, to my great surprise, i just ran everything maxxed out (except sof shadows off) at 1680*1050 and it was more then playable. Now that was some goodness.

How did you get a custom resolution to work in the demo?

Edit: n/m I just saw your post with the config file change. :p

Cali3350 said:
Change the resolution in your settings.cfg file and it works fine. Its in your documents folder under monolith. I just ran the game at 1680"1050 and it even had the correct FOV. It looked perfect (and ran surprisingly well).
 
Shifra said:
what are you talking about, it verifies that your computer has the most recent DX9.0C components, alot of games i'v played do this. They have to do age verification by law, and scrolling through the user agreement, again, not a new thing. It was a 2 minute install quit complaining.


"OMGZ I HAD TO SCROLL DOWN THAT I LOST A WHOLE 2 SECONDS OF MY LIFE!!!!! BASTARDS"

You don't know wtf you're talking about.

There is no "law" that they need to verify someone is of age, and "selecting" your birthday is HARDLY verifiying jack and shit.
 
My video card couln't handle 1280x960, it was too jerky. 1024x768 ran fine though.

Game was alright, good AI, good scare factor, okay graphic, levels/graphics were very boxy.
 
Back
Top