EVGA 3GB 580

power requirements won't be much different from the current 580's just add 20-30w for the extra GDDR5 just in case.

I thought the 3Gb GTX580 had the same amount of memory chips, they're just more dense. So it wouldn't require any more power than a 1.5Gb GTX580?

I'm waiting to get a 3Gb 580, because I plan on getting a Dell U3011 and I'm one of those people who always try to load up games with the best texture mods. So i want to be set for the future. I consider myself a strong power user overall and produce many video-game related videos and so I crank everything I can to maximum. So more vram for better textures and resolution is worth it to me.

Last edited:
WIth 3 1080P monitors (Nvidia Surround), would you benefit by having the 3gb? What about in 3d mode?

I'm waiting to get a 3Gb 580, because I plan on getting a Dell U3011 and I'm one of those people who always try to load up games with the best texture mods. So i want to be set for the future. I consider myself a strong power user overall and produce many video-game related videos and so I crank everything I can to maximum. So more vram for better textures and resolution is worth it to me.

Kepler is coming out late summer. That should be the game changer if AMD Southern Islands is just a die shrink. I would be all over this too if Kepler wasn't around the corner and Battlefield 3 coming out this year.

Kepler is coming out late summer. That should be the game changer if AMD Southern Islands is just a die shrink. I would be all over this too if Kepler wasn't around the corner and Battlefield 3 coming out this year.

Link?

Last time I checked, Kepler was end of this year/beginning of next year

WIth 3 1080P monitors (Nvidia Surround), would you benefit by having the 3gb? What about in 3d mode?

Yes, It's the same formula that applies to Eyefinity also applies to Nvidia Surround. Vega has his 3GB GTX 580 rig set up. Go read his thread and watch some of his videos to get an idea.

Link?

Last time I checked, Kepler was end of this year/beginning of next year

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20742-nvidia-has-28nm-sample-chips

http://lensfire.blogspot.com/2010/11/nvidia-28nm-probably-gtx-680-graphic.html

Produced by the 28nm GPU this should be the entry-level product, the core code is GF1x9 (GF119?), But no further news. This product will not appear until the second quarter of 2011 on the market, but just from the 28nm process to get the news of the sample has been very exciting.

Global foundries should also come up in the quarter samples 28nm process, but we

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/04/06/amd-will-out-the-southern-islands-gpu-architecture-early/

AMD will out the "Southern Islands" GPU architecture early

Remember these are just rumors. Take this information with a grain of salt. But many other websites have confirmed that AMD and Nvidia does have their 28nm samples already. I HIGHLY doubt Nvidia is going to wait six months for their 28nm GPUs if AMD releases Souther Islands first.

The high performance parts from both AMD and nVidia will not be out until the end of the year. They might launch mainstream die shrink parts before then.

Must...resist....Kepler...will be released around BF3.....www.newegg..... what am I doing? F5 F5 F5 AhhHHhhh

$589.99 I am surprised it's not $600. Atleat it's free ground shipping :)

I know how you feel. I'm six months into these 580s and at this point I want more than an memory. Tomorrow is May Day so I'm willing to suffer 6 more months with these lowly 580s.

Wow marked up already, it was $570 when they first put it up. -_-

So... $590 for EVGA's 3GB 580 or $600 for Palit's 3GB 580?

Hard choice, really wanted to SLI these babies up as well. Guess I'll have to wait a little bit longer till I can afford a 3GB 580 SLI setup.

Would be better if EVGA used their own non reference cooling design instead of NVIDIA's reference card design, what gives. Most card vendors these days are releasing their own non reference design.

I prefer the reference cooling design if the cards will be right next to each other. If not and there is a space to breathe, the custom coolers are better.

N C I X just posted the info on thier wedsite in Canada. Personally, I will stick with 1.5gb version since I am only running one moniter.

I prefer the reference cooling design if the cards will be right next to each other. If not and there is a space to breathe, the custom coolers are better.

I really had temperature problems running two 3GB Palits next to each other. Now that I have a slot between the two cards, both cards run reasonably quiet and cool.

I was reading over at EVGA.........

The 3GB GPU may be released for sale today.
Price is 589............:eek::eek:

i got a $20 coupong notification as well. But I'm not sure to buy this now since I have 480GTX and still a good card. Maybe I should sell my 480GTX and buy this :D

I have a pair of EVGA 570s and think I'm gonna sell em both and get one of these instead. With SLI enabled I seem to get the "display driver stopped responding" error once every couple days

$589 is a bunch of money.
This is what the card should have been from the jump.......
It would be a sellout at $479 or even $499.:D

I might step up to this if they are available in the stepup program. I sent a PM to EVGA_Jake.

$589 is a bunch of money.
This is what the card should have been from the jump.......
It would be a sellout at $479 or even $499.:D

$589 is alot of money for most people, but keep in mind the 3GB GTX 580 is expensive.

The Zotac it $549.99 and it doesn't have a lifetime warranty, if I'm not mistaken this one does for $589.99. Some may say the lifetime warranty and double the vram is worth the $80-90 price increase form a standard 1.5GB GTX 580, or that the $30 over the zotac is worth it for the same afformentioned warranty bennefits

Is the 1.5 gb memory limit of a regular gtx 580 hamstringing me at 2560x1600 if I use a lot of texture mods in games? Almost all of the ones I'm playing, really. I'm on the fence here about memory limit.

Is the 1.5 gb memory limit of a regular gtx 580 hamstringing me at 2560x1600 if I use a lot of texture mods in games? Almost all of the ones I'm playing, really. I'm on the fence here about memory limit.

Run MSI Afterburner and find out. On a single display, even at 2560x1600 more than like not.

I'm debating this. When does the 680 come out? If I can step up to 680 then it's worth it for me to get the 580 3GBs now.

Got all excited that EVGA released 3GB version, only to discover that it doesn't have DP port. Why get EVGA over the less expensive Zotac 3G? Guess I'm stuck waiting for Palit 3Gb to come back in stock at Newegg since that has DP port. Not sure why EVGA took so long to release 3GB when has same connectors as the 1.5GB. At least Palit added DP.

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=03G-P3-1584-AR&family=GeForce 500 Series Family&sw=

OMG what do I do?!?!? *panics*

*Cuts credit cards in half*

I have faith in Kepler

I am typing this post to remind myself that I could have gotten two of them right now with no questions asked. Once these cards are sold out and never made again I will read this post and remind myself what a stupid move I made or a good move for Kepler.

Got all excited that EVGA released 3GB version, only to discover that it doesn't have DP port. Why get EVGA over the less expensive Zotac 3G? Guess I'm stuck waiting for Palit 3Gb to come back in stock at Newegg since that has DP port. Not sure why EVGA took so long to release 3GB when has same connectors as the 1.5GB. At least Palit added DP.

That..........and the fact that if you want to run three monitor Surround you need TWO of them at 589 apiece............that's around 200 dollars MORE added to their 1000 price tag.......just too expensive, especially when you can get two 6970s with 4 GB of total VRAM for around 700 dollars, or better yet, two reference 6950s for 550 and flash them.:D

If you actually NEED 3gb, you can probably afford this card. Glad I don't need 3gb lol.

Paying that much more for at best 20%? more is H as it gets.

I was thinking that most of us that would actually spring for this -- well, we probably already have either a 570 or 580 card setup already. The reason I have a 570 is that I thought it was odd to spend that much for a 580 and only get 1.5gb. Big cash should get [H] specs. These 3GB cards are a bit late ...

i got a $20 coupong notification as well. But I'm not sure to buy this now since I have 480GTX and still a good card. Maybe I should sell my 480GTX and buy this :D

if you are running single display and single card stick with the 480GTX. only reason to go with the gtx 580 3GB is if you are running nvsurround or SLI @ 2560x1600. in single card single display config with a resolution lower then 2560x1600 you will run out of gpu/shader performance long before you run out of video memory on the gtx 480 and 580 reference cards.

Actually I think most true "power users" know that the SC cards are marketing profit cows with a different BIOS. Gimme vanilla every time.

Yep, I've had both stock and "SC" cards from EVGA going all the way back to the 6800 series -- on average, they both have the same hit or miss rate for me on max OC.

With the factory OC'ed cards, you're basically paying 5-10% more for a software/bios mod.

How much better is the GTX 590 over the 3GB GTX 580??

The GTX 590 has so much power, and that power is best served at high resolutions with multiple displays, but the 1.5gb of unique video memory capacity hinders it's ability for the most part. A GTX 580 3GB is more flexible in that regard.

How much better is the GTX 590 over the 3GB GTX 580??

A straight 1 to 1 comparison isn't the best.

A 590 has more raw GPU power, but anyone considering 3GB GTX 580s should be getting at least two anyhow.

Back