Everspace 2

polonyc2

Fully [H]
The Rockfish Games team first revealed they were working on the game earlier this week, and promised it will have "classic RPG elements". It will have the same "visual style" as Everspace, which means it will probably look very pretty indeed, and you'll battle a variety of enemies in an "everlasting quest for better loot"...

Everspace 2 is expected to launch on Steam Early Access in the second half of 2020, and won't go into full release until 2021

Everspace 2 (Early Access) comes to Steam and GOG on January 18th

2020 was a rough ride for the open-world space shooter Everspace 2...a Kickstarter campaign in late 2019 was very successful, pulling in nearly $620,000, but a planned Early Access release was postponed twice: Once because of the COVID-19 pandemic, and then by Cyberpunk 2077's move from November into December, which developer Rockfish Games (along with a few others) had no interest in messing with...

The initial Early Access release "will be good for at least 25 hours of gameplay," Rockfish said, with core gameplay mechanics in place and English voice acting for the first 12 hours of the campaign and several side missions...

https://www.pcgamer.com/everspace-2-comes-to-steam-and-gog-on-january-18/

Anyone know how well 1st person cockpit view is implemented in either the first one or this upcoming one? Like, can you pan your view around the cockpit? Thx.

Anyone know how well 1st person cockpit view is implemented in either the first one or this upcoming one? Like, can you pan your view around the cockpit? Thx.
It's fully modeled and you can look around. They even turn off the regular HUD so you can use the cockpit instruments. The first one even has TrackIR support. It's going to be the same for Everspace 2.

I don't normally do EA games but I will be getting this as soon as it's available.

It's fully modeled and you can look around. They even turn off the regular HUD so you can use the cockpit instruments. The first one even has TrackIR support. It's going to be the same for Everspace 2.

I don't normally do EA games but I will be getting this as soon as it's available.
Thanks for that info, I will look into this one
I have a Saitek X52 HOTAS that I would also want to use for this

Will do

Watching the gameplay it looks like combat in first person would be a lot harder b/c you wouldn't be able to see the ships off to your side and behind you.
Well that's part of the challenge of using cockpit view in any space combat game. You trade some immersion for combat awareness.

Well that's part of the challenge of using cockpit view in any space combat game. You trade some immersion for combat awareness.
agreed, I guess what I meant to ask but didn't is whether the game is really designed to be played in 3rd person based on the combat style, like for example how witcher 3's dodge/parry/roll/evade 3rd person combat would not work in 1st person, whereas Skyrim has less dynamic content and thus can be played in either 1st or 3rd person mode without a loss of combat effectiveness

agreed, I guess what I meant to ask but didn't is whether the game is really designed to be played in 3rd person based on the combat style, like for example how witcher 3's dodge/parry/roll/evade 3rd person combat would not work in 1st person, whereas Skyrim has less dynamic content and thus can be played in either 1st or 3rd person mode without a loss of combat effectiveness
I think it works just fine personally.

Everspace 2 is close to being the new gold standard for space shooters

Everspace 2 may not be a bold reimagining of the genre, but it epitomizes everything great about it...it's got a big world to explore, tons of side activities, and Rockfish has struck a killer balance between intense, arcade-style combat and deep RPG systems that are sucking me into a black hole of percentages and color-coded loot

If there's one aspect of Everspace 2 that genre diehards might find lacking, it's that there's not really any simulation behind its open world...resources bought in one area can be traded in another for profit, but there's no underlying economy or faction system to manipulate...you can't conquer the galaxy or build merchant empires, either, though there is a rudimentary faction and reputation system that rewards you for taking on certain jobs...it might disappoint folks more accustomed to hyper-complicated space sims like X4: Foundations...

https://www.pcgamer.com/everspace-2-is-close-to-being-the-new-gold-standard-for-space-shooters/

I tried out the prerelease demo that they had about a month ago on the Steam game festival but combat was even worse that in Everspace 1.

I'm still cautiously optimistic, but it''s not going to be a day-one purchase like I was planing. I don't nee d a realistic sim, I'm jus loking for the next Freelancer - great controls pared with a good story and and decently-engrossing world.

Last edited:
Everspace 2 is close to being the new gold standard for space shooters

Everspace 2 may not be a bold reimagining of the genre, but it epitomizes everything great about it...it's got a big world to explore, tons of side activities, and Rockfish has struck a killer balance between intense, arcade-style combat and deep RPG systems that are sucking me into a black hole of percentages and color-coded loot

If there's one aspect of Everspace 2 that genre diehards might find lacking, it's that there's not really any simulation behind its open world...resources bought in one area can be traded in another for profit, but there's no underlying economy or faction system to manipulate...you can't conquer the galaxy or build merchant empires, either, though there is a rudimentary faction and reputation system that rewards you for taking on certain jobs...it might disappoint folks more accustomed to hyper-complicated space sims like X4: Foundations...

https://www.pcgamer.com/everspace-2-is-close-to-being-the-new-gold-standard-for-space-shooters/
I read this earlier. It is still a year, or more, from release.

Early Access is January 18th...
The game isn't done at that point though. Early access sounds like playing the game as a beta tester and never experiencing it for the first time as a finished product.

The game isn't done at that point though. Early access sounds like playing the game as a beta tester and never experiencing it for the first time as a finished product.

even games that come out as finished products are still a work in progress and need months of patches- Cyberpunk 2077, Flight Simulator 2020 etc

I tried out the prerelease demo that they had about a month ago on the Steam game festival but combat was even worse that in Everspace 1.
Yeah I didn't really like it, either. Which is a shame because I do like to support space games, but it just didn't do it for me.

Yeah I didn't really like it, either. Which is a shame because I do like to support space games, but it just didn't do it for me.
funny that it's the opposite for me. it's the only space combat i've enjoyed in quite a few years

Very tempted on trying this as well.
First day of release reviews are already astoundingly good.

Following this thread.

Everspace 2 Early Access Impressions – Space Flight At Its Finest

Everspace 2 is an absolute blast to play...for the first time in the history of flying games, a mouse and keyboard actually feel great to use...that might sound like something silly to praise, but this genre is infamous for being terrible to play on PC peripherals...mind you, the nature of the ship flight is a lot more forgiving for it, but it’s great to see nonetheless

where Everspace 2 shines the brightest is in its atmosphere and visuals, something all too important in space flight games...where most space games do pretty well in this space, Everspace 2 sets the bar for the level of immersion possible...the various locations are depicted with such finite levels of detail and beautiful colors, making you look off in awe as you fly across the star systems...even the asteroids, which should normally be quite boring to look at, have incredibly intricate details...

https://thenerdstash.com/everspace-2-early-access-impressions-space-flight-at-its-finest/

I watched ObsidianAnt's video on this, and I'm certainly intrigued. Looks beautiful!

All right, couldn't resist. Just picked this up and am installing it now. Will give it a go for an hour or so tonight and report back. Didn't play the original Everspace, so take my review know that ;p

Surprisingly good so far! played about an hour last night before bed and then got sucked in for another hour or so over my lunch break today. Not difficult by any stretch, but good fun, fly around do some missions, blow stuff up and explore. Found a fun little puzzle to solve and got some decent little treats for solving it.

The visuals are pretty great, and the controls are very smooth with KB/Mouse.

I thought I was invincible, but actually ran into a mission that I got clobbered on, just because I was trying to run in guns blazing.

Looking forward to progressing and seeing how the game unfolds.

I put in 25hrs over 3 days. Certainly was addicting, though I'd like to see improvements in areas.

For someone new to the series, and maybe new to space Sims in general, it did not have the learning curve of something like Elite Dangerous, but there is still a noticeable curve. Just setting up the controls can be daunting, though I was impressed with the depth of the control we are given to fine tune. I tried HOTAS, PS4 Controller and M&KB. Ended up going back to M&KB as it offered the most forgiving experience. PS4 was so hyper sensitive that even with sensitivity turned all the way down and aim assist all the way up, it was a futile exercise in over correction. Hopefully that gets addressed.

After the intro missions when you get to your "base" you start more story missions. The first was not bad, but the difficulty spike going into the second was crazy high. I thought maybe I needed to do some side stuff to level up more, and that helped, but it wasn't until I got same level weapons (specifically thermal & rail for primary, loads of missles for secondary) that I started making any progress. Even then I was out-numbered 9 to 1 by same level fighter's. I was burning through hull bots like water. The rapid escape special helped some, but wasn't long enough to give shields any chance of recovering with early gear. EMP also helped once I learned how to time it. Still, I failed that mission so many times I nearly walked away from the game. The game could use an adjustable Difficulty setting and some balancing.

Lastly, after clearing the map in both regions it felt like it was all starting to feel the same. Experience was getting repetitive and tedious. If they can keep it interesting the game certainly has potential, but if the full game is just more regions filled with the same activities, this game is going to have a fun start and a stale end (imo).

Last edited:
The Corrosive Injector device with Mercy Kill enabled is being called "OP" on Reddit. May have to try this out.

Everspace 2 developer Rockfish Games has rolled out its roadmap for development of the Early Access space shooter in 2021...the new features in the pipeline include new ship sub-classes for the player, as well as new activities in various parts of the game world...further, the game's main story will be added to, which is something that the developers weren't previously planning to do...

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1128920/view/3042715219434730207

ES2.png

Seems good, but I don't touch these games anymore until they actually release. It's on game pass as well.

Just bought it though I won't be able to play it until early next year but I may also just wait until it's fully finished

Back